PDA

View Full Version : Another oil heat question

bribella
09-26-2004, 08:09 AM
We are new to this type of heating and were suprised at the cost of it. We have a 300 gallon underground tank and oil here is $1.82 per gallon. So it will cost us around $550 to fill the tank.
To all of you who use this type heat, on average could I reasonably expect 300 to last me all winter?
How much does it cost all of you for oil heat? Does it get stinky when using it?(I have heard it might stink)
How many times a winter do you have to typically refill your tank?
TIA :D

nanajoanie
09-26-2004, 08:16 AM
We used to use oil in a 275 gal. tank. We were on a keep fill and it used to cost us around $600 a winter. Back in 1994 we switched over to propane. Costs about the same then all fuel prices went up. Last winter costs were over $1200. But that was turning the heat up for Tice when he was so sick otherwise it still would have run about $1000. This is the prices for Greensboro, NC. Basically any type of heating will cost about the same, no matter oil, kerosene, propane, electric.

As for smell, never had any smell with oil. Kerosene will leave a film on your walls and curtains. One time when we smelled propane gas, they told us to get out of the house. They fixed it and no problem since.

bribella
09-26-2004, 08:18 AM
Thanks Nana :)

reneep45
09-26-2004, 08:20 AM
we had a fuel oil furnace, the only time it was stinky was when the guy came to fill it , some people say it stinks when the tank is about to be empty , i never noticed that.
One tank lasted us a winter , it would depend on how insulated your house is & other things.

nanajoanie
09-26-2004, 08:23 AM
Another reason it cost us so much, only had plastic on the windows. This 135+ year old shack was rather drafty, especially at the 2 chimneys.