PDA

View Full Version : We are ready for puppy advice

ladyseals
09-21-2004, 08:02 AM
What would be a good dog for kids that are 1, 4 and 7. We want something nice that won't bite, shed all over, tear up furniture, poop & pee all over or suddely turn on us and bite our throats out after years of being sucha sweet dog. What kind of dog would fit that order, lol?

Willow
09-21-2004, 08:07 AM
I've always heard that Golden Retrievers are good dogs for kids.

kelly12569
09-21-2004, 08:13 AM
What would be a good dog for kids that are 1, 4 and 7. We want something nice that won't bite, shed all over, tear up furniture, poop & pee all over or suddely turn on us and bite our throats out after years of being sucha sweet dog. What kind of dog would fit that order, lol?

LOL, a FISH!

JK, if you dont want a dog that sheds then youre gonna have to go with one with short hair. We raise and breed cockers and they shed. Most dogs do.

As far as our puppies are raised ... it seems cocker spaniels have a bad rep as far as kids go but we've never had a problem. I fully believe its in how they are raised and treated. When we breed our puppies they are raised right along with our family and are in our house and around our kids 24/7 up until they leave our home. So you when chosing a puppy its always a good idea to ask if the puppies have been subjected to children during their first couple of months so they are used to the noise, being picked up, tossed around, played with, etc.

Poopin and peein all over is a matter of training, not the specific puppy. Although accidents do happen.

Tearin up furniture is a matter of training as well. They will chew on anything when they are teething so make sure you provide lots of chew toys for them and keep the kids toys off the floor or they will chew them in a heartbeat. :eek:

As far as dogs turning on you after years, well... I dont have an opinion on that since its never happened to me. Well, ok, actually I do. I feel everything happens for a reason. I dont feel dogs just "turn on you". But, thats just MY OPINION and of course each to his own.

Good luck finding a suitable pet for your family.

We have 5 and they are very much a part of our family. We also have 2 cats and have had several guinea pigs and hamsters in the past but they just dont have a very long life span. :(

lassss
09-21-2004, 08:21 AM
oh golden retrievers..there is no other better temperment dog....I used to take my bosses golden into my son's daycare and she'd love all the lil hands rubbing her and all the attention...get a puppy and it will grow up with the kids...but they do shed..you'll get that with almost any dog tho...good luck

kelly12569
09-21-2004, 08:32 AM
oh golden retrievers..there is no other better temperment dog....I used to take my bosses golden into my son's daycare and she'd love all the lil hands rubbing her and all the attention...

You know, we live in a very small town and the local library has a golden retriever that they bring in. I dont remember her name but once a month its a big deal that they bring her in and have a family "read in" night. The little kids all gather around her and take turns reading to her. Its a big deal at the library on that night. They even bring her into the school for kids to read to. I wish I could remember what they called her. Its some kinda cute nic name that has to do with reading. My memory is fading fast :rolleyes: LOL

Angel Lips
09-21-2004, 08:33 AM
my cock-a-poos (half cocker spaniel and half poodle) are excellent with children. Our neighbors grandson is 4 and he is always coming over to play with the dogs and they are just well behave, dont bite and are just loving.

kelly12569
09-21-2004, 09:55 AM
my cock-a-poos (half cocker spaniel and half poodle) are excellent with children. Our neighbors grandson is 4 and he is always coming over to play with the dogs and they are just well behave, dont bite and are just loving.

you know, someone once asked us to breed one of our cockers with their poodle. They said they are really friendly ;) And a good size for house pets. We didnt but maybe we should consider it.

nanajoanie
09-21-2004, 10:01 AM

I agree here. My FL grandkidletes have 3 of them. Little doll babies. If you want a large dog, Labs and Retrievers are excellent for temperment. Try to check into the breeder. You might also want to condsider an older dog already trained. They just take up a lot of space on the bed or sofa :D As young as your little ones are, you will need to keep an eye on them that they don't pull poochies ears or tail or grab food out of the dog's bowl or mouth. Good luck hon.

cavemtmomma
09-21-2004, 03:01 PM
Labs and goldens are both great. Another choice would be a standard poodle. May sound strange but I'm a dog groomer and the standards have terrific temperments. Very smart, very playful and you don't have to clip them like a poodle if you don't want to. They also don't shed as much as most dogs. The absolute wonder dog from what I've been told, is a Labradoodle. It's a cross between a Lab and a poodle (DUH! LOL!) and they are the new cockapoo. A great trick when a puppy is teething is to freeze a damp wash cloth and let them chew on that. I've raised dozens of pups I used to be a breeder, and the wash cloth trick is a life saver.

cSoReNSoN
09-21-2004, 03:47 PM
I've always just had mixed breeds a.k.a mutts and all were wonderful animals. Not only did they make excellent pets, but lived long, healthy lives. I currently have a beagle, basenji, terrier mix (a.k.a mutt) and a Pekingese. The Pekingese is my first experience with a purebred dog and she is great along with the beagle mix. I actually found the Pekingese as a stray. All our animals (4 cats, 2 dogs, & 2 birds) were either adopted from the humane society, an animal rescue group or strays. I highly recommend adopting a pet that is in need of a new home. All the my adopted animals were older (adults) and the strays tended to be younger (except for the pekingese). I have yet to find an adult animal that did not adjust well after adoption! Good luck!

ajksmom
09-21-2004, 05:53 PM
We just got a black Lab 2 months ago. He is very very good natured with the kids. We got him at 6 weeks and he is now 3 1/2 mths. They do grow very fast and are fairly hyper dogs but have great temprements with the children. He runs and plays with them. At first he did pee and poop everywhere but most puppies do until you train them. He now goes on his paper or outside. I am glad we got Scooter he is a great pup.

ladyseals
09-22-2004, 10:58 AM
thanks for all the advice!! I posted on freecycle and someone has brand new pups 3 weeks old and they are a Jack Russel and ****zu mix, is that a good dog?

Willow
09-22-2004, 11:14 AM
A friend of mine has two Jack Russell Terriers and he says they are worse than the kids. They are very hyper dogs and like to get into things. I'm not sure about the ****zu but the Jack Russell Terrier is notorious for being a very active dog.