PDA

View Full Version : Oprah just gave everyone in her audience a car !

kelly12569
09-13-2004, 02:16 PM
I cant believe this! I know she gives stuff away on her yearly "Oprahs favorite things show" but today she gave everyone a friggin CAR !!

MamaFairal
09-13-2004, 02:18 PM
Im watching it also.....can you believe it?
Man why dont these things happen to me?

* hey ?~ if Oprah gives you a car ........do you have to pay taxes or is it a gift???

Tasha405
09-13-2004, 02:26 PM
I cant believe this! I know she gives stuff away on her yearly "Oprahs favorite things show" but today she gave everyone a friggin CAR !!
I think we need to plan us a trip to go see Oprah on her next Wildest Dreams show. ;) :D

andreame70
09-13-2004, 02:28 PM
Wow, that is awesome. I bet there were a few people who were ready to have a heart attack. I probably would have! I bet that a lot of people there didn't believe it at first, LOL

Andrea

kelly12569
09-13-2004, 02:36 PM
I think we need to plan us a trip to go see Oprah on her next Wildest Dreams show. ;) :D

OMG I know but it got to the point where sooooo many ppl wanted tickets to the show that she gives all her "favorite things" away on that now they no longer advertise the dates of the shows. Its just a surprise to the audience on that day.

Ive never been to Chicago. I would just like to go there, go to the show and check out the sites some time. Hmmm you and DBD cant be THAT far from me.... maybe some day ...... LOL ;)

suzziq03
09-13-2004, 02:51 PM
I didnt see that show and im glad, it probably would have ticked me off... I mean its cool of Oprah to do that for the people in her audiance, but im sure most of them didnt need a car, or assistance in the way of freebies of any kind. but then here I sit, dont have money for my own place after my divorce, dont have a car so there isnt a way for me to look for a job, let alone get to one even if I had one and 3 kids to support. This stinks, I could have REALLY used a freebie like that I wonder if any of those people will donate that free car to charity or anything ( those that dont need it that is ) ... I doubt it thats just crazy... I feel she could have done better things with those than give them to people who had transportation of some sort to get to her show in the first place.. sorry yes its been a bad year for me, and mabey im wrong for feeling this way but its just my opinion and nothing more.

buttrfli
09-13-2004, 02:54 PM
They just gave that lady money to buy her house... i'm a big bawlin baby right now LOL

halvarado
09-13-2004, 03:07 PM
i guess i will have to watch the rerun of that one! i love it that she is so generous. :D

janelle
09-13-2004, 03:11 PM
She said that everyone in the audience needed a car. That is why they got tickets to her show. Not sure how she found out so many who needed a car. I guess on her web site.

Also I don't think Oprah gives all those things away. I bet her bosses foot the bill. Not sure how much but she makes them a ton of money so they have to pick up a lot of it if not all.

DezaRay24
09-13-2004, 03:14 PM
I didnt see that show and im glad, it probably would have ticked me off... I mean its cool of Oprah to do that for the people in her audiance, but im sure most of them didnt need a car, or assistance in the way of freebies of any kind. but then here I sit, dont have money for my own place after my divorce, dont have a car so there isnt a way for me to look for a job, let alone get to one even if I had one and 3 kids to support. This stinks, I could have REALLY used a freebie like that I wonder if any of those people will donate that free car to charity or anything ( those that dont need it that is ) ... I doubt it thats just crazy... I feel she could have done better things with those than give them to people who had transportation of some sort to get to her show in the first place.. sorry yes its been a bad year for me, and mabey im wrong for feeling this way but its just my opinion and nothing more.

She tells you why the people get the cars on the show. She even shows you some of the peoples cars they have. A lot of people wrote in that they needed a new car or someone wrote in for them. The rest of her show is awsome she really does have a big heart... :D

Bick'sMom
09-13-2004, 03:49 PM
The cars were donated by Pontiac, the taxes were paid, and all of the people on the show were given a car because they needed it. I read that either on MSN news or CNN news. I was crying my eyes out throughout the whole show.

MamaFairal
09-13-2004, 03:54 PM
man i bawled thru the whole show...esp when they gave that lady the $ to buy her house she had been evicted from :)

Man just once i want something like that to happen to me or someone on BBS...lol

DivineMsDi
09-13-2004, 04:56 PM
Hey, wish I was there in Chicago..I could use a car....and someone rich like Oprah to pay my car insurance... :)

DivineMsDi
09-13-2004, 04:57 PM
man i bawled thru the whole show...esp when they gave that lady the $ to buy her house she had been evicted from :)

Man just once i want something like that to happen to me or someone on BBS...lol

I agree with you, Mama. I would like to know someone REAL who wins something like the lottery or is on the receiving end of some really nice prizes (namely me....lol....)

evrita
09-13-2004, 05:22 PM
How about that girl who lived on the streets gave her a makeover clothes and full college tuition for books dorm for the college of her choice

MOMMYOF2BOYZ
09-13-2004, 06:04 PM
What I Thought That What Was Really Cool. All Those People She Gave A Car To They Really Needed One. See If Dr.phil Tops That One :d God Bless Oprah

texasgander
09-13-2004, 06:16 PM
Just FYI....Oprah doesn't HAVE any bosses...SHE is the boss....SHE owns everything......Harpo Productions (or Enterprises, or whatever it is), is all HERS....(Oprah spelled backwards)...........so she doesn't have any bosses to foot the bill or have to please...just herself....she is just a very generous woman who came from nothing.........

morris2b
09-13-2004, 07:15 PM
Oprah is probably the richest woman in America...and I would have loved to have been on her show today, too bad I was sitting here working and watching her give ol those goodies away..

janelle
09-13-2004, 07:18 PM
What do you mean she doesn't have any bosses? She doesn't own CBS does she? How does she get on TV? She doesn't own a TV station. I'm confused. :confused:

I know she gives a lot of her own money away but when she is on TV wouldn't the network gain from her high ratings? That is a good question for her web site. Is anyone a member on her site?

buttrfli
09-13-2004, 07:21 PM
What do you mean she doesn't have any bosses? She doesn't own CBS does she? How does she get on TV? She doesn't own a TV station. I'm confused. :confused:

I am pretty sure CBS didn't pay for all of those cars LOL

She makes them enough money that they offer her quite a bit to stay on CBS and not go to another network.

janelle
09-13-2004, 07:34 PM
That is the reason they should pay for some of it. She makes tons of money for them. :confused:

fatesfaery
09-14-2004, 01:14 AM

I know she gives a lot of her own money away but when she is on TV wouldn't the network gain from her high ratings? That is a good question for her web site. Is anyone a member on her site?

Her show is syndicated, the production company she owns also owns all rights to the show. Any network in any city can pay for the show and air it. Here in Atlanta it comes on the ABC affiliate, Where I lived in SC it was on NBC.

I was wiping tears along with everyone else today. Especially when they bought that family the house they were being evicted from....and the young girl who received the makeover,clothing and college education to any school in the country.

I think it's wonderful when someone becomes so successful and gives back to people.

Kelsey1224
09-14-2004, 08:04 AM
Her show is syndicated, the production company she owns also owns all rights to the show. Any network in any city can pay for the show and air it. Here in Atlanta it comes on the ABC affiliate, Where I lived in SC it was on NBC.

I think it's wonderful when someone becomes so successful and gives back to people.

You took the words out of my mouth. In Los Angeles, her show is aired on ABC as well. It is syndicated...that means that stations bid on and pay for the rights to air her show. They pay a lot of money for her show because it has high ratings. That means they can charge higher fees for the commercials that air during her show. That's where the stations get their money...from the commercials!!!

Obviously, Oprah's show are governed by and can't violate FCC regulations...but she owns her own show. She is the boss!!!

I don't begrudge anyone who won a car. Each one of them needed a new car. Oprah has been doing her "Wildest Dreams" show for a couple of years now...maybe even longer. Anyway...people can write in for themselves or for another person explaining what the wildest dreams would be.

For example...one person wrote in that her wildest dream would be to see the Oprah Show!!! The family at the end of the show didn't write in. However, a neighbor who knew them wrote in about them and their needs.

The people are selected from the letters or e-mails.

Sure, Oprah didn't actually pay for the cars (Pontiac did). And...so what if she does get a tax break for those things that she did pay for. (Her Angel network paid for the house.) She is still a wonderful generous person.

kelly12569
09-14-2004, 01:17 PM
Its on ABC here too.... why did this thread turn into who's Oprah's boss?? Who cares! I just thought it was friggin awesome that she IS that generous. And yes she does OWN that show and the studio.... not that it mattered to what this thread was about ;) That woman has alot of money and Im just glad that she is not selfish and does share. Even if the cars were donated by Pontiac I have seen her give away alot on that show. And I think its awesome. :D

Kelsey1224
09-14-2004, 01:45 PM
Its on ABC here too.... why did this thread turn into who's Oprah's boss?? Who cares! I just thought it was friggin awesome that she IS that generous. And yes she does OWN that show and the studio.... not that it mattered to what this thread was about ;) That woman has alot of money and Im just glad that she is not selfish and does share. Even if the cars were donated by Pontiac I have seen her give away alot on that show. And I think its awesome. :D

Wow...so what that this thread went a little off track...it all dealt with the same issue of Oprah's generosity. Someone mentioned that Oprah's bosses probably footed the bill for the cost and other posters explained that she didn't have any other bosses (therefore affirming her generosity).

Why get so upset that the thread went a little off track? That happens. It all came back to the original topic anyway.

I happen to agree with you. Oprah is an extremely generous and caring woman.

kelly12569
09-14-2004, 01:53 PM
Why get so upset that the thread went a little off track? That happens. It all came back to the original topic anyway.

I happen to agree with you. Oprah is an extremely generous and caring woman.

ummm I must've missed out on the part about me getting upset :confused:

I just meant I didnt want it turning into a vent/whine over who owns who instead of a "wow that was cool" thread ;)

Kelsey1224
09-14-2004, 03:22 PM
I'm sorry...it sounded like you were upset. My mistake. I read, "Who cares? I just thought it was friggin awesome that she IS that generous. And yes she does OWN that show and the studio.... not that it mattered to what this thread was about " as if you were upset.

That's the problem with the written word...we can't hear tone of voice.

Now that I've hijacked your thread once more...I'll return it to the original intent.

I think it is cool too!!!

kelly12569
09-14-2004, 04:27 PM
[QUOTE=Kelsey1224]I'm sorry...

That's the problem with the written word...we can't hear tone of voice.

QUOTE]

NO problem... it takes alot to upset me...... LOL

now..... where did she put the key to MY car ?? LOL

I would LOVE to be on her "Oprah's Favorite Things" show :eek:

babydoll_jen
09-14-2004, 07:31 PM
I agree that she could have done something better. She even mentioned on GMA that some of the people said they didn't need the cars, that they gave them away or sold them. Although, I will agree that the scholarship money and the money for the family who adopted all of those kids was a great way to portray the "Dreams" show.

ravie3
09-15-2004, 10:31 AM
My neighbor was in the audience last thursday when Oprah gave away the cars, and she said only about 50 people in the audience actually needed a car. She also said that it could take up to 5 months to receive her car because she gets to customize it with any and everything she wants on it, plus the car company is paying all the prize taxes on it, so it is totally free. My neighbor had no idea about the give away she just wrote the show requesting tickets to the first show of the new season for her best friend, sister in law and herself, so what a surprise for her to walk away with a new car.

Surfergal
09-16-2004, 03:25 AM
not that Oprah is not generous, but this was an hour long car ad, a marketing stunt dreamed up by Pontiac to get publcity on their new women oriented car. Pontiac paid for it. The had heard Oprah wanted to give away Cars last year and approached her. Pontiac paid for it all.