PDA

View Full Version : Yea! Please let me spend more money!

rlynn411
09-10-2004, 07:08 AM
Day 7 of school and my 7th grader comes home with the big entertainment books ($30) for the schools first fundraiser. I'm just considering sending my check book with him telling him to give it to the appropriate person and return it to me when they have taken all I have to give.

I told him the other day don't even bring one home cause I don't want to see it..... he tells me they had to at least take one home with them and to try to sell it. Yeah well bite me is what I was thinking!

Will give my DS credit, he got to thinking that grandpa always has one, so he called and asked him and sure enough he bought it. Said he buys one every year so he would just asume buy it from him. Aren't grandparent great! Lets just hope since he lives in another part of Ohio they get the right book to him and in a timely matter.

Told my DS okay you've sold one , just as soon and grandpa's check gets here you can take this local one back cause I dont want it.

Oh and a 7th graders prize for selling at least one is, a pair of glasses that are a straw, each end of the glasses have a tube on them, one to put in your drink glass and the other you put in your mouth. Now maybe a younger age student would think that was cool but a 7th grader?

Tasha405
09-10-2004, 07:19 AM
LOL My son is in the 7th grade and there is no way he would wear those glasses!

DH says we just need to sign his paychecks over to school becuase they end up with all of it anyway. lol

They raised lunch and breakfast this year. Lunch is now $2.50 and breakfast is $1.00. That's $3.50 a day if they eat both meals at school. I can remember paying like $0.50 for breakfast and maybe $1.00 for lunch. lol

rlynn411
09-10-2004, 07:37 AM
LOL My son is in the 7th grade and there is no way he would wear those glasses!

DH says we just need to sign his paychecks over to school becuase they end up with all of it anyway. lol

They raised lunch and breakfast this year. Lunch is now $2.50 and breakfast is $1.00. That's $3.50 a day if they eat both meals at school. I can remember paying like $0.50 for breakfast and maybe $1.00 for lunch. lol

The schools try to get it however they can is my conclusion. The other day I seen in our local paper that 88% of our schools operating buget is spent on the teaches, princples and administraters salaries and insurance, sure doesn't leave much to operate the schools themselves. Guess thats why they need do have such user fees and and fundraising! And sadly most of the teachers are under paid.

freeplease
09-10-2004, 07:39 AM
So far, so good this year. Nothing coming home...YET. But it is just the third week of school. I figure they'll hit us up big today, since it's Friday. I think I should be able to just send in a copy of my property tax bill since the huge increase went to the school.
And I agree on the school lunch increases. I'm so old, I remember paying 35 cents for lunch. I had that quarter and dime in my pocket everyday. Well, everyday my dad could remember. lol Remember the panic when they forgot? :eek:
Back to your local programming. ;)

amysusi
09-10-2004, 08:38 AM
I keep meaning to hide those entertainment books, my boys always want to look through them. But I don't want them getting messed up because I'm NOT buying them. Yeah, it may have lots of good deals in there, but it's just another excuse to spend money on going out (just to make it worth it).

taz69
09-10-2004, 09:04 AM
My kids came home yesterday with the Magazine sale **** ....stuff, AND the school picture envelope that has to be prepaid! Why can't they wait a month until we recuperate from all the school supplies, clothes and fees before hitting us again!!!???
We live in Clear Lake, IA - where Dick Chaney spoke on Monday at the park. 800 tickets - have no idea how you got them or how much, but our tax dollars went for 10 hours of special security - and the local people could not even get close enough to hear the speech - let alone see Mr. Chaney. Take a picture of THAT and send it to the school!!!!!!

MamaFairal
09-10-2004, 09:07 AM
DD has the entertainment books to sell here also....$20.00
Lots of good coupons tho.......she brought home 5 and has sold "0"
No one has any $ :(

sahmsfreeb
09-10-2004, 09:27 AM
shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

im on the pta... today is the begining of our wrap paper sale... whoo hooo *sarcasm* personally i think the stuf sux. i would rather hand over a check than to buy the crap that they tote.... uhggg...
we only use the entertainment books for vacations... florida... hawaii etc...
i never use the entertainment books for local stuf only cause we save money in better ways...
with our "miles" off the credit card we eat for free in certain restraunts..
we dont do movies enought to warrent the coupons... etc...

and dh buys the entertainment books for almost half off.. dont ask me how he does it... (plus ive seen em onsale in sams clubs)

so when the pta sent one home last year... i sent it back... oh well....

DivineMsDi
09-10-2004, 09:39 AM
I hate how they have the kids sell JUNK (yes, it is junk). I think I will just write a letter to the PTA or whoever with a small check and tell them to not send home anymore of this garbage. Still wondering where all the tax $$$$ go....(up to $9,000 a year).

mom2cvam
09-10-2004, 09:50 AM
I have four kids going to three different schools and they all sell the same junk all within a few weeks of each other. :eek: Now thats fun!! NOT! As soon as they get done with the wrapping paper then its cookie dough and then pizza and then a few more other things. Its always one over priced thing after another. :rolleyes:

EricsnKy
09-10-2004, 10:26 AM
I have noticed lots of vents on this subject really, and I do not have children so I really cannot relate. However it is unfortunate that such fundraisers have be executed in order to operate our education system. This country is spending billion's of dollars attempting to rescue the world when we have serious problems here at home.

Our teachers our underpaid, class sizes are getting larger, and parents are paying more. In the end it is our future, the childern, who will really pay the price. A big thank you for our goverment leaders !

Four years ago this country had a huge surplus, now we have a defecit that goes into the billions.

Keep these things in mind when you cast your ballot in November guys !

sahmsfreeb
09-10-2004, 10:55 AM
I have noticed lots of vents on this subject really, and I do not have children so I really cannot relate. However it is unfortunate that such fundraisers have be executed in order to operate our education system. This country is spending billion's of dollars attempting to rescue the world when we have serious problems here at home.

Our teachers our underpaid, class sizes are getting larger, and parents are paying more. In the end it is our future, the childern, who will really pay the price. A big thank you for our goverment leaders !

Four years ago this country had a huge surplus, now we have a defecit that goes into the billions.

Keep these things in mind when you cast your ballot in November guys !
thats right its time to vote in new school administrations and mayors! these are the real people who need to be audited when it comes to where our money goes! high taxes here but we pay it. we know we have the 249th school in the nation..our school budget barely passes with threats of loosing programs. where does this money go? $60,000 dry cleaning bill for administrators in the roslyn school distict just a few towns away...
google roslyn school district... :mad: :mad: :mad:

STARTER: Ranch, split-ranch, high- ranch, 3-4 bedrooms, 1-2 baths, eat- in kitchen, most with basement, 1-car garage, 1/4-acre lots, taxes $5,000-$7,000.

PRICE: $350,000-$425,000

TRADE-UP: Colonial, split-level, some split-ranch and ranch, 4 bedrooms, 2 1/2 baths, eat-in kitchen, basement, 1-2 car garage, 1/4- 1/2-acre lots, taxes $6,000-$8,000.

PRICE: $425,000-$575,000

LUXURY: Colonial, split-ranch, 4-5 bedrooms, 2 1/2 baths, eat-in kitchen, basement, 2-car garage, 1/2 acre or slightly less, taxes $8,000-$11,000.

PRICE: $600,00-$800,000

CONDOS and CO-OPS: Condos, 1-3 bedrooms, 1-3 baths, low $300,000 range to $425,000; luxury, The Hamlet, 2-3 bedrooms, $550,000-$1.2 million.

IF YOU WANT TO RENT

Fairfield Village at Commack: 1-2 bedrooms, $1,350-$1,785 a month.

this link goes to a house that has 9000 taxes! and the house is almost 30 years old! and this house has lower taxes because it is a different hamlet than the one i live in (although same school district and elementarty school)
http://newyork.foxtons.com/SS/h2659#additional_info

this townhouse is right by me.. http://newyork.foxtons.com/search?md5=9e861f550f15b7ed7803d0b36d1b12ce&currency=USD&search_form=map&search_type=SS&inst_ref=37126&submit_type=search

look at the taxes... OUTRAGEOUS!!!!!!
http://newyork.foxtons.com/search?md5=9e861f550f15b7ed7803d0b36d1b12ce&currency=USD&search_form=map&search_type=SS&inst_ref=37126&submit_type=search

so before we blame the president etc... past and current administrations..
lets place the blame where it is due... ON OUR LOCAL REPRESENTATIVES THAT WE VOTE IN!

Freebeemom
09-10-2004, 10:59 AM
I can see doing different types of fund raisers to make money...like a car wash, sock hop, SOMETHING that the kids are actually doing! But, the wrapping paper....total waste...I don't do this...the Candy sales....again, total waste.....It is too expensive! I know you have all said the same thing. The only thing I really pay for are the Scholastic book fairs or Market Day. I prefer to volunteer...hands on, rather than just send money. The bad part, is if you live in a neighborhood with LOTS of kids, then you also end up having other kids ring your doorbell in hopes of a sale. Why not try something different? Like, the 4th grade sell something like candy, 5th grade something else, etc...instead of Everyone with the same stuff! ALL AT ONCE!

Ugh! We are turning our kids into beggers!

DivineMsDi
09-10-2004, 11:37 AM
thats right its time to vote in new school administrations and mayors! these are the real people who need to be audited when it comes to where our money goes! high taxes here but we pay it. we know we have the 249th school in the nation..our school budget barely passes with threats of loosing programs. where does this money go? $60,000 dry cleaning bill for administrators in the roslyn school distict just a few towns away...
google roslyn school district... :mad: :mad: :mad:

STARTER: Ranch, split-ranch, high- ranch, 3-4 bedrooms, 1-2 baths, eat- in kitchen, most with basement, 1-car garage, 1/4-acre lots, taxes $5,000-$7,000.

PRICE: $350,000-$425,000

TRADE-UP: Colonial, split-level, some split-ranch and ranch, 4 bedrooms, 2 1/2 baths, eat-in kitchen, basement, 1-2 car garage, 1/4- 1/2-acre lots, taxes $6,000-$8,000.

PRICE: $425,000-$575,000

LUXURY: Colonial, split-ranch, 4-5 bedrooms, 2 1/2 baths, eat-in kitchen, basement, 2-car garage, 1/2 acre or slightly less, taxes $8,000-$11,000.

PRICE: $600,00-$800,000

CONDOS and CO-OPS: Condos, 1-3 bedrooms, 1-3 baths, low $300,000 range to $425,000; luxury, The Hamlet, 2-3 bedrooms, $550,000-$1.2 million.

IF YOU WANT TO RENT

Fairfield Village at Commack: 1-2 bedrooms, $1,350-$1,785 a month.

this link goes to a house that has 9000 taxes! and the house is almost 30 years old! and this house has lower taxes because it is a different hamlet than the one i live in (although same school district and elementarty school)
http://newyork.foxtons.com/SS/h2659#additional_info

this townhouse is right by me.. http://newyork.foxtons.com/search?md5=9e861f550f15b7ed7803d0b36d1b12ce&currency=USD&search_form=map&search_type=SS&inst_ref=37126&submit_type=search

look at the taxes... OUTRAGEOUS!!!!!!
http://newyork.foxtons.com/search?md5=9e861f550f15b7ed7803d0b36d1b12ce&currency=USD&search_form=map&search_type=SS&inst_ref=37126&submit_type=search

so before we blame the president etc... past and current administrations..
lets place the blame where it is due... ON OUR LOCAL REPRESENTATIVES THAT WE VOTE IN!

ITA!!! I can't wait till they audit all the school districts around here....something is WRONG....these teachers are WELL paid, not to mention the administration. Seems like they are in for life!

janelle
09-10-2004, 11:47 AM
I had teens living near me in my last home and I bought so many magazines I never read. But it was for private school so no government help there. Now public schools should have enough money from taxes. We passed a million dollar tax hike here for the schools. They wanted to air-condition every room in the school district. This year we are having cooler than normal weather so the kids didn't have to go on a heat schedule. But they have the air-conditioners that will never be used this year. Go figure.

Pay the teachers first. Get quality teachers. And if we give them so much money in taxes why do they have to get the kids to beg for more?

iluvmybaby
09-10-2004, 11:57 AM
This country is spending billion's of dollars attempting to rescue the world when we have serious problems here at home.

Amen sister, lets spend AMERICAN tax dollars on, I know this may seem strange, but AMERICANS. ;)

msmom79
09-10-2004, 12:33 PM
i purchased candy from a child last year.payed for it and never recieved it! but the school here cashed my check!!! now is that fair? if they want us to support the schools and the kids,then at least give the product to the ones that pay!! jmho.hope all works out for all of you's!! yes i did call the school they said they would take care of it,but they never did!! i 'm not sure i will buy this year,after my experience last year.{{{{hugs}}}} to all you parents out there and good luck to you's. ann

DAVESBABYDOLL
09-10-2004, 01:14 PM
I hear you girls! I have already paid a FORTUNE!!

sahmsfreeb
09-10-2004, 04:13 PM
The PTO says the COOKIE DOUGH fundraiser that I vented about previously will be the only fundraiser this year. (That remains to be seen.)

I know... I said I wasn't gonna sell it... and I haven't attempted to sell the first container of it. I haven't ordered one either. :D

My sister needs her rear end kicked... My 11 yr old called her, and mentioned that I wasn't going to sell cookie dough... because I thought it was too high, etc.. My sister ordered 10 containers of cookie dough.. and mailed my daughter a check, made out to the school. She said she knew her coworkers would jump at the chance to buy the cookie dough when she gets it. :D

So my 11 yr old is happy.. she gets her free school spirit t-shirt for selling 10 containers of cookie dough.

I'm happy, because I don't have to feel guilty about not pushing the overpriced cookie dough. :D

But I still think my sister needs her rear end kicked for buying so much cookie dough. I bet when I go visit her months after she picks up her cookie dough.. she'll have a freezer full of tubs of cookie dough. LOL

worse yet... youll haveta eat it!!!!! RIGHT TO THE THIGHS!

amysusi
09-10-2004, 06:16 PM
Found out today, our Entertainment Book fundraiser ends on the 15th, and on the 24th, the Sally Foster one begins. Hello! Half the school lives in apartments, so they really think we can afford all that?

CatrinaF25
09-11-2004, 02:43 AM
i just spent 145 bucks on fund raisers!so my lil girl could go to the school blast along w/ the other kids..

Nanc952
09-11-2004, 03:31 AM
I hate what the fundraiser do to the kids.

Like said make beggers out of them and the ones who cannot afford to dish out the big bucks are made to feel bad that they didn't sell stuff.

A friend needed her little boy picked up from school so I went with her and the school was selling candy. Get this the prinicpal gets up and tell them kids that the winner gets to go out with him for free pizza. Wonder if the kid had to pay for principal? :eek:

But what made me so mad was he tells the kids to get if from the grandparents they alway have money at the first of the month (it was last year at the first of the month) and if they don't want to buy cry. Now what is that teaching kids about selling and also that all senior got lots of money NOT.

It was all I could do not to get up and say something. This is also a church school so you would think they would be better.

I would be happy to buy something from kids that they did. But not resale of over priced stuff.