PDA

View Full Version : money for college?

ozzysangel
09-09-2004, 04:58 AM
Does anyone know how i could get money to go to nursing school, im not qualified for any finicial aid because of my husbands income and i dont work at the present time just got my last child in school, i really want to go to school but dont have the money to do it and husband wont help me out? any ideas? thanks (wanting to go to LPN school)

joesbaby
09-09-2004, 05:45 AM
when i went to college. ..i got help from local agencys...one was an agency that helped mothers who had children while a teenager..even tho my son was over 8 at the time,and i think there are some help at the colleges..maybe called displaced homemaker, or something like that. talk to the financial aid office and get ideas from them. they may know someone..or ask about local groups...elks, american legion, things like that..they may have ideas too. hth some anyway.

btw..i graduated college 10 yrs and 3 kids after i graduated highschool.

good luck
ericka

lassss
09-09-2004, 05:55 AM
take out a student loan and you won't hafta pay it back til ya graduate

ozzysangel
09-09-2004, 06:13 AM
I would take out a student loan but husband dont want me to do this cause he thinks i will not be willing to pay the loan back after i gradute and default on the loan and then he will be responsible for the loan( he thinks i wont find a job and work in the field) cause i went to school before in another program field and there was no jobs available and couldnt find work! he says i wont ever work cause im to immature! :mad:

Willow
09-09-2004, 06:37 AM
I would take out a student loan but husband dont want me to do this cause he thinks i will not be willing to pay the loan back after i gradute and default on the loan and then he will be responsible for the loan( he thinks i wont find a job and work in the field) cause i went to school before in another program field and there was no jobs available and couldnt find work! he says i wont ever work cause im to immature! :mad:

Gee if he feels that way I would divorce him and make sure he payed alimony and child support. You just might have enough to go to school.

Kelsey1224
09-09-2004, 07:28 AM
Your husband doesn't think much of you does he? It must be hard to live with someone who is so mentally abusive.

Since you will not qualify due to your income (which includes his income)...a student loan is the only way to go.

And...defaulting on student loans isn't as easy as it used to be.

As long as you are married to him...you won't qualify for the grants out there...many of which are available to women trying to get on their feet.

lassss
09-09-2004, 07:41 AM
Gee if he feels that way I would divorce him and make sure he payed alimony and child support. You just might have enough to go to school.

Yeah I agree..he should be happy you want to further yourself and educate yourself more....instead of bringing you down and making your feel unworthy :mad:

iluvmybaby
09-09-2004, 07:54 AM

Hun sounds like an emotionally abusive relationship, you are immature, etc etc etc. Sounds like you need to get out of that situation, get divorced, and hit him up for every penny he is work for child support and alimony :p

Eyore
09-09-2004, 08:55 AM
If it is something you want go for it. Go to the college and talk to them and see what they have to offer in loans etc.
Prove hubby wrong in this.

Azriel_LittleHawk
09-09-2004, 10:05 AM
i dunnon bout where you live , but here there are various hospitals and nursing homes that will enter into a contract with you that "said agency pays your school fee's and then you work for them for a few yrs." i would do that but..well..i have things a going the other way..grants and loans .
if you do it the 1st way mentioned that person your married to couldn't complain cause it wouldn't be his $$. sorry hun but your husbands a butt monkey .

*shaking head at husbands idiocyt*
Good luck hun, from the sound of things you will very much need it.
Ciao!
Az

Katt
09-09-2004, 11:14 AM
What Az said. If you sign on with the hospital or nursing home etc, they will pay for your schooling. You have to sign a letter of intent though, that is contractually binding or you pay them back.

As for not getting a job or working in the field, where exactly has he been hiding? Nurses are in HIGH demand right now. You will have no trouble finding a job as a CNA, LPN or RN. Most places are needing nurses so bad, you will get a sign on bonus. The hospital I'm wanting to work at, is offering $4000 sign on bonuses for RN'S right now.

If you don't want to get a loan, and can't get financial aid...that's really the only other option. That, and filling out tons of scholorship apps and hoping for the best. You can search google and pull a bunch up. I sat up one night, and did like 15 of them one evening. There are a lot just for nursing students, also.

A word of advice though, if he's not supporting you now, think long and hard about nursing school. It's hard work. I have a very supportive husband and kids, and my extended family is helping out in any ways they can too, and I'm stressed to the hilt. I mean, fits of crying and rage, fits of wanting to drop out, JUST from all the work that is having to be done in class...not counting my other classes to go towards my other degree. I know many people who have ended up divorced during nursing school, simply because their sig. other wasn't supportive, and they had to make a choice. Just some food for thought, because it's definitly stuff you will need to take into consideration.

Good luck on whatever you choose, and on finding financing. :)

kama5207
09-09-2004, 05:17 PM
i have to agree with katt. i also think your husband is acting this way cause he's scared if you get a good job you won't need his sorry butt and can leave him. good luck with whatver you decide to do.

sahmsfreeb
09-09-2004, 06:23 PM
if you live in the wyoming valley of pensylvania (which odds are im sure you dont but perhaps someone else here is a valley girl (or boy) like me)

Posted on Thu, Sep. 09, 2004

Nursing training gets help

By DARRIN YOUKER

dyouker@leader.net

NANTICOKE - A statewide program to encourage enrollment in nursing schools received a $750,000 boost from Blue Cross of Northeastern Pennsylvania Wednesday.
The insurance company announced it would give the money to the Pennsylvania Higher Education Foundation for nursing programs. The foundation will dole out $750,000 over a three-year period to students at several local nursing schools as a way to ease a statewide nursing shortage.

Two years ago the state higher education foundation started giving grants and scholarships to prospective nursing students, hoping it would encourage more people to go into the field, said Michael Hershock, president of the foundation. Nationwide, health-care agencies will need 1 million more nurses by 2010 to deal with an aging population, Hershock said.

In Luzerne County, Luzerne County Community College, College Misericordia, Wilkes University, and the Wilkes-Barre Area Vocational Technical School will all receive a portion of $250,000 for scholarships this year.

"We look at that as an investment," said Denise Cesare, Blue Cross chief executive officer, at a press conference at LCCC.

Pennsylvania has the second oldest population in the country, surpassed only by Florida, said Dr. Dana Charles Clark, director of nursing at LCCC. The number of graduating nursing students cannot keep up with the demand, she said.

In April, LCCC gave incoming nursing students at its campus in Elk Lake, Schuylkill County, $1,700 grants through the higher education foundation, Clark said. The scholarships announced Wednesday will be open to students in the 13-county Blue Cross service area, she said.

The scholarship helped student Shannon Miranda decide to go to school for nursing. Miranda, who goes to LCCC's Elk Lake campus, works and goes to school part-time, she said.

Student Jacqueline Tyler also used the scholarship to attend school at the LCCC campus. Good-paying jobs are hard to come by in Susquehanna County and each student at the Elk Lake campus was able to get some kind of help, she said.

"Without scholarships," Tyler said, "half of us would not be able to go to school."

Darrin Youker, a Times Leader staff writer, may be reached at 829-7210.

INFO BOX:

The following area schools will receive a portion of $250,000 in scholarship money this year. The money, donated by Blue Cross of Northeastern Pennsylvania, will be used to encourage students to enter the nursing field.

Career Technology Center, Scranton $42,692

Luzerne County Community College $30,029

Wilkes-Barre Area Vo-Tech $23,516

University of Scranton $22,070

Wilkes University $18,090

College Misericordia $13,386

Marywood University $2,894

llbriteyes
09-10-2004, 08:35 AM
There are many programs/scholarships out there for people who want to become nurses. There seems to be a shortage in this country of nurses. Do a search online for scholarships. Contact Nursing associations. Call hospitals. Call your congressman. That's what they're there for.

Where there's a will, there's a way.

iluvmybaby
09-10-2004, 09:06 PM
if you do it the 1st way mentioned that person your married to couldn't complain cause it wouldn't be his $$. sorry hun but your husbands a butt monkey

Tell hubby to grow up and stop acting like a butt monkey, or you will divorce his butt and use the alimony for the $ to go to school, never ever let a man put you down because you know what hun, you are smart and you can make your dream come true if you really believe in it.

hotllama
09-10-2004, 11:51 PM
There's a free scholarship search engine at http://fastweb.monster.com/

For many of the scholarships, you have to write an essay or submit an application, but looking for scholarships might be a good way to go.

freebielover
09-11-2004, 11:30 AM
You could also try to get a job with the school you are looking at going too. Right now I work for my school, repairing computers & they let me go for free. Most colleges offer free tuition for all employees, so its worth a shot!

ezmoney163
09-12-2004, 10:29 AM
I am a current LPN student. I can probably help you out with a few sites if you would like you can PM me. If you do this be ready for alot of stress and get as much help and support from your family. It is tough, but if you keep at it it will be worth it in the end. The courses for LPN are very accelerated. In a week you can learn upwards of 5 or more nursing skills. You will definately need a support system. Good luck and if you want PM me.:)