PDA

View Full Version : My son really messed up this evening...

Countrymom
09-07-2004, 09:58 PM
My 13 year old son is always setting up ramps and things to jump his bicycle with. We have told him several times that he was going to get hurt. Well being 13 and a boy...he didn't think that it could happen. This evening he wrecked his bicycle and had to have 8 stitches put in his forehead over his left eye, and he has scraps around the outer side of his right eye and around his nose and upper lip, also down the right side of his mouth. :( Now I am up because I have to wake him every 1-2 hours to make sure he is okay. And I have to put an ice pack on his forehead for 20 minutes every 1-2 hours to prevent swelling. :(

msmom79
09-07-2004, 11:10 PM
My Youngest Son Was Like This.always The Neighborhood Daredevil.just Hold Your Breathe Mom,it Will Be Okay,and I Have To Tell You From Experience,your Son Will Do It Agian,some Boys Just Play Ruff. Im Sending A Big Hug To You And Your Son,prayers For A Fast Recovery.

Countrymom
09-07-2004, 11:13 PM
Thank you msmom79. :)

Tasha405
09-08-2004, 05:07 AM
Oh that sounds like something my 13 yr old would do. LOL He loves to jump his bike and do all of those little tricks on it. Hopefully your son will think twice about it the next time though. How is he feeling this morning?

rlynn411
09-08-2004, 05:07 AM
Glad to hear your son wasn't hurt any worse than he was!

Please, please, please make your kids where helmets. Yes I know its hard. When my DS was three he was with a friends mother and flew over his handle bars......we spent hours in the ER while he layed there with a head injury. Luckily he was okay.

My DS friend just this weekend spent 24 hours in ICU with a brain bleed and another 48 hours in the hospital being monitored for this head injury. He was lucky that the surgery wasn't needed. He now is left with a blood clot, and for the next month can do little else but walk..... not running, jumping, bike riding, and no skateboarding, which is what he was doing when he took a hard fall.

We all know our kids should be wearing these helmets but we all know how uncool our kids think they are,and sometimes the battle to get them to wear them doesn't seem worth the hassle.... but all it takes is that freakish happening for our kids to substain injuries.

Hope this doesn't sound like preaching, its only meant to be a friendly reminder of the risk our kids take when playing or to put the odds in our favor when that freaking can't believe how it happened thing occurs.

lassss
09-08-2004, 05:19 AM
glad he is ok....lol but knowing a 13 yr old boy like I do ( I have one too) he prolly thinks the stitches are kewl looking lol and he will go and do it again ;)

DivineMsDi
09-08-2004, 05:31 AM
Sorry about your son....I guess it is part of having a boy...(not looking forward to this a bit...) :eek:

Angel Lips
09-08-2004, 05:43 AM
glad he didnt have no broken bones or anything.

joni1269
09-08-2004, 06:46 AM
Ooopss! Double posted.

joni1269
09-08-2004, 06:47 AM
DH brought his mom his ear when he was little!!

He had jumped out of the swing, and the chain caught his ear and ripped it off! He also fell and broke his right arm. Mom was in the kitchen, and he walked in and very calmly said, "Mama - my ear is ouchie" and hands her his ear!!!

Luckily, she is a nurse. I would have FREAKED OUT!

Glad to hear the injuries were fairly minor.. keep us posted!!

captorquewrench
09-08-2004, 07:30 AM
my sister did something similar when she was about 10. Didn't get stitches but it did take all the skin off one side of her face. the boys raised the bike ramp without telling her.

Countrymom
09-08-2004, 08:23 AM
Just wanted to let you all know that DS is doing pretty well this morning. Swelling isn't as bad as I thought it would be. He said that he didn't have a very bad headache. :)

As for him trying it again...he isn't wanting to talk about that right now. So I am hoping that he has learned a lesson from this. I think seeing those 8 stitches and the places that he scraped the hide on his face is kind of upsetting to him. He was looking in the mirror just a little while ago and then he said "it shouldn't take long for it to heal should it"?

I sure hope that he has learned his lesson! I guess I will have to wait and see. :rolleyes:

tsquared
09-08-2004, 10:30 AM
You know us "BOYS" always wanna have some excitement..........glad he is doing ok

ajksmom
09-08-2004, 10:33 AM
He sounds EXACTLY like my 12 year old. He thinks he is indestructible. I hope that he is doing okay today!!

janelle
09-08-2004, 11:26 AM
(((((((Countrymom))))) My SS did something similar on his bike when he was 13. Racing and decided to put his foot into the spokes. :eek: Went flying off the bike head first. Luckily he caught himself with his arms but broke both of them. Had casts on for six weeks. GAAAAA. Kids can get hurt so fast.

Elijah'sMommy
09-08-2004, 03:28 PM
Don't mean to hijack your thread, but what rlynn411 said is so true. We were just informed that one of our co-workers (he's a union steward so pretty much everyone knows him) was in an ATV accident this weekend and sustained serious head trauma. He's in a medically-induced coma and it's not looking good. I know an ATV is different than a bike, but please make sure your kids are protected!