PDA

View Full Version : Help, these things are horrible!!!!

ladyseals
09-07-2004, 07:42 PM
I have never in my life seen head lice before but our lil girl got them after wearing a hat from a rumage sale. (she waited about 2-3 days before she told us she was itchy) These things are SCARY!!!! Anyway, we used the stuff for lice last night but tonight she was itchy and I saw some more things in her hair eggs and bugs running around and so I put another bottle of stuff in her hair and combed with the tiny comb for about 30 min before I just got so tired. Am I doing this right? Is there a better sure shot way or a home remedy or do I need to take her to the doc? Are there always this many???
I washed everything in super hot water already, should I do that again too?

nanajoanie
09-07-2004, 07:46 PM
Just make sure you wash all the bedding and anything she has laid her head on. Stuffed animals or pillows put in a large plastic garbage bag and seal tight for at least 5 days. If the lice shampoo doesn't work, slather her head in mayonaise and put a plastic bag cap on her head overnight. But it will take about 2 days to wash it all out with all the oil in mayo. This is an old country remedy. Good lucky with your baby.......

Not preaching but next time, wash all used clotheing before wearing as a safety precaution.

queenangie
09-07-2004, 08:07 PM
Just like Nana said: take her stuffed animals and put them in a plastic bag for a few days to kill the eggs.
Wash all bed linens in hot water.
Vaccum the carpets & fabric covered furniture.

Need to continue to pick her hair with the fine comb every day....depending on her size even for 45 - 60 minutes worth of combing. Not fun at all for you or her.

Sending you warm wishes!
Hugs,
Angie

kelly12569
09-07-2004, 08:12 PM
Just like Nana said: take her stuffed animals and put them in a plastic bag for a few days to kill the eggs.

Just wanted to add this needs to be a black garbage bag so that it prevents light from getting in... just a little tip I picked up from my sister whos kids seem to bring it home from school almost every year :rolleyes: Also, you may want to throw them in the dryer after your waiting time is up when you take them out of the bag. The heat is supposed to help "finish them off".

Mine caught it once when they were all very young... toddlers... up at a campground. Not fun :( Good luck hun.

Quaker_Parrots
09-08-2004, 03:20 AM
The average louse can only live for 2 days off the human head.

Tea tree shampoo helps (seems to help smother the nits too.) Be sure to get ALLL of the eggs.

Boil all combs, hair accessories.. DO NOT use the bedding spray...it could be harmful to your child. Lysol works for that. If you have carpet, be sure to spray that too(what child doesn't roll in the floor?) cloth covered furniture. Wash all the bedding. Clothes she has worn, you name it. If you have pets, now might be a good time for a flea dip (they could be a carrier)

MamaFairal
09-08-2004, 08:54 AM
Shave her head and buy her a "NEW" hat...........

lice is not a fun thing to deal with and i'm so sorry your daughter caught it.
make sure to check "everyone" else in the house also...spray couches,chairs, your cars.....everywhere your DD has been......notify her friends she plays with(a pain i know) but ya dont wanna keep passing it back and forth :(

Good luck

Kelsey1224
09-08-2004, 09:16 AM
Shave her head and buy her a "NEW" hat...........

While that is certainly one way to get rid of them...I was unwilling to do that to my daughter (whose hair was to her waist).

It took lots of patience...but after doing the shampoo thing which did kill everything...I just kept combing her hair...one small section at a time with the special comb.

It wasn't the plastic comb which came with the shampoo...I actually got a metal one with very tiny teeth. I found it at a pharmacy which handled special health needs equipment.

Anyway...I would comb a few small sections of her hair...and then give us each a break for a while. Then I'd do it some more.

We were able to save her hair.

Linus1223
09-08-2004, 11:13 AM
I have heard that they mayo thing does work. Good luck!

pae1968
09-08-2004, 11:17 AM
My hubby was at walmart last night, and he found a comb/brush, not sure which one, that you brush thru the childs hair, and it makes a sound letting you know if lice are present, and the brush is supposed to kill them on the spot, he said it cost about 25.00, down the road I may purchase one, but I think I'll just stick to what works best.

KrystallizedFlame
09-08-2004, 01:03 PM
Saturating her hair with baby oil also works. Leave that on for a few hours and then wash her hair 2 or 3 times to get all the oil out and then take the comb to her hair. Also you can put bed linens and stuffed animals in the dryer on hot air for at least 20 mins so you don't have to wash everything.

My girls have caught these so many times from my hubby's sisters kids that I have become a "expert" per se. in getting rid of these. I use my hands only. I do the baby oil thing and then go through the hair and pull out all bugs and nits by hand and put them in a cup of rubbing alcohol or bleach. I go through there hair everyday for about 3 days and check again at the 7th day. I check again weekly until I am completely certain they are gone.

I also read somewhere that if the person that catches lice gets on antibotics from the doctor the lice flee because they don't like the flavor in the blood of the host anymore. But don't quote me on thins.

HTH

Lynniesmom
09-08-2004, 01:45 PM
Definitely don't forget to spray your car!! DD caught it once and I couldn't seem to get rid of it, until I realized they were still in my car's seats!! :o
Sprayed the car, and finally the problem was gone :D

stresseater
09-08-2004, 08:50 PM
Listorine and a shower cap. Saturate the hair and put on the cap. Wash it out about an hour later and it even disolves the glue that holds the eggs on. You will still have a buttload of laundry but it works great. :D

menanamama
09-08-2004, 10:29 PM
i feel your pain...2 months and about 300 bucks to get rid of the MUTANT LICE

ladyseals
09-09-2004, 06:58 AM
I used a whole bottle of tea tree oil last night and put it in four sections of braids. This morning I washed the oil out and I saw maybe 4 or 5 lil eggs and that is much better than the hundreds I saw the other day. Plus I did not see anymore moving bugs and she was not itchy anymore. I will keep combing untill I dont see anymore at all. This is a horrible pain and I am glad I never got them, lol, it is horrible enough just looking at them.

Eyore
09-09-2004, 07:08 AM
This is something I heard on the news the other day. Don't think it is available to the public yet.

http://www.usnews.com/usnews/health/briefs/childrenshealth/hb040908d.htm

With the kids heading back to school, head lice are about to start finding new territory. But some lice are resistant to the insecticides used to kill them. In a new study, a doctor in California suggests another way to exterminate the denizens of your children's head: suffocating them with a product called Nuvo lotion.

What the researcher wanted to know: Does a dry-on, suffocation-based insecticide (or "pediculicide"—it means "thing that kills lice") kill lice?

What he did: The doctor asked pediatricians in the area to send him their hard-to-treat head lice cases—either another method of killing lice had failed, or the parents didn't want to use toxic treatments on their kids' scalps. The nontoxic lotion is put on wet, then dried with a hair dryer; it's supposed to cover the lice like shrink-wrap and plug their little breathing holes. Parents applied the lotion at home, once a week for up to three weeks.

What he found: The lotion worked on 96 percent of kids; 94 percent were still lice free six months later. That's as good or better than commonly used insecticides. Also, removing the nits by hand didn't add anything, and the treatment was successful even without major housecleaning.

What the study means to you: This seems to work pretty well. Another bonus is that a treatment like this is less likely to make the lice evolve resistance, since it kills them by a brute mechanical means—suffocation—instead of by targeting a specific molecule that could mutate.

Caveats: The doctor who carried out the study also owns the patent on the lotion.

Find out more: Information on head lice from the Harvard School of Public Health: http://www.hsph.harvard.edu/headlice.html

llbriteyes
09-10-2004, 08:46 AM
Image at 40 years old, going into the doctor's office and having to hear, "You have lice." The only thing worse would be to have heard, "You're pregnant." lol They sent me to the health department to get this organic compound for lice. You spray it on, leave in for about 2 hours, comb, then repeat in 3 days. They also gave me instructions on how to do the mayo thing. It suffocates the lice and loosens the glue.

I think I'm going through a second childhood... not midlife crisis... Now I have ring worm! How the heck did I get that!!!!

L

MamaFairal
09-10-2004, 09:04 AM
If your serious and "YOU" now have head lice..its not easy to treat your self.
Have a good friend you trust comb thru your hair.......

And now ringworm?

DivineMsDi
09-10-2004, 09:47 AM
I am keeping this thread handy. My son received a note yesterday. Lice is going around in his school. EWW...yuck....bleh...feeling itchy....I remember when I was a preschool teacher I used to live in DREAD of getting lice. :eek:

queenangie
09-10-2004, 11:45 AM
Comparison of products:

http://www.headlicetodeadlice.com/other_products_chart.html
enzyme products = easier on children.

http://www.headlicetodeadlice.com/shampoo_chart.html
Chemicals

queenangie
09-10-2004, 11:47 AM
Strategy helps fight itchy war

Problems with estimating cases of head lice have accompanied the controversy over the best treatment of the disease.

Deborah Altschuler, president of the non-profit National Pediculosis Association, says " there’s know way of measuring an increase in head lice" and changes that manufactures of special shampoos, repellents, chemical treatments and lice-removing combs create interest in their products by inflating statistics and overstating school absenteeism resulting from lice infestations.

She complains that many manufactures today set up their own expert panels on treatment. "They are not done by peer review, balanced, scientific approach," she says. " The same people who make money off doing the studies are promoting the products."

Terri Meinking, Assistant professor of dermatology at the University of Miami School of Medicine, counters that the NPA has created its own conflict of interest by developing and promoting its own remedy, a specially designed comb. And Meinking takes issue with claims that the NPA comb is all parents need to rid themselves of supplement chemical on the market:
-The NPA was the first to develop a comb. The LiceMeister, which costs $10, has closely spaced stainless steel teeth.

Diligent, thorough combing with the special $10 comb is the best solution, says Altschuler, who started NPA in Needham, Mass., in 1983, after battling head lice on her own children’s heads. Proceeds from the comb go to educating the public and other NPA work, she says.

This is highly recommended by an RN that is a school nurse.