PDA

View Full Version : A friend beat a man to paralysis

joni1269
09-07-2004, 07:02 AM
A friend on mine was telling me a story about her coworker. He was beaten up, and is now in a wheelchair. She told me that he was at a christian rock concert with his two young teenage daughters, and this guy jumped him for no reason, and beat him mercilessly. His daughters could do nothing to help, and watched the whole thing. DH and I were so shocked and upset for this man, and his daughters.

A few days later, my BIL comes over, and says, "Hey did you guys hear about (I will call him Howard)? He got in a fight with this guy, and the guy is paralyzed now." I felt sick to my stomach - I knew the guy.

Apparently, my friend ( I use this term loosely - I never cared for him) was at a rock concert in a bar when he ran into his victim. Not a christian concert - a rock concert at a bar.

There is no excuse for what "Howard" has done. I hope he gets just punishment (is there such a thing?) and changes his life. But it concerns me that the friends and family of the victim are changing the story. "Howard" has to be tried here - I fear he can't get a fair trial with all the rumours. The facts of the case are enough to put him away for awhile. Why are they trying to make it sound worse?

Should I tell my friend that I know "Howard"? Or that I know details she hasn't been told??

andreame70
09-07-2004, 07:15 AM
Wow, this is a sad situation. But I think you will be better off just letting the truth come out on it's own (it will) and not get involved in all of the drama. It could end up backfiring on you. You don't want to lose your friend due to the whole mess, she might get very upset at you for not believing what she has told you. She obviously thinks it is the truth and if it isn't, then time will tell. Let her be mad at the people that lied to her, not you.

Andrea

buttrfli
09-07-2004, 07:21 AM
One word...

sahmsfreeb
09-07-2004, 07:33 AM
i think you should talk to the DA taking care of the case. let the judge figure out who is lying and who isnt.
even if the paralysed man is lying his punishment is life in a wheel chair. i suspect he is lying so that he can sue.

it all works out in the end. people are right.. what comes around goes around.

best thing for you to do is to keep on the straight an narrow..

GL...

llbriteyes
09-07-2004, 08:02 AM
Its your duty to tell the authorities what you know. Not what you've heard, but what you know for a fact. What your "friend" did was horrendous. I don't care what the details were (although the courts will), this man is paralysed for the rest of his life. He has two little girls he has to take care of.

Howard deserves whatever he gets.

Linda

andreame70
09-07-2004, 08:39 AM
Joni, it is not your place to tell the DA or any other official anything. You did not witness the beating and therefore everything that you have "heard" about it is "hearsay" no matter who told you.

The law defines hearsay as: Evidence based on what the witness has heard someone else say, rather than what the witness has personally experienced or observed.

The truth will come out in court, the attorneys will make sure it does. There is no need for you to contact anyone to tell what you heard. It would be different if you were there and saw it happening in front of your own eyes.

It really does not matter where it took place anyway. The facts seem to suggest that one man jumped another and the one being jumped ended up paralyzed. Where it happened at is irrelevant. The paralyzed man will be able to sue the one that beat him, whether it happened at a bar or at the Christian Rock concert, provided that he has witnesses and can prove that he was jumped for no reason.

Andrea

CHERNL
09-07-2004, 10:54 AM
Maybe "Howard" is the one lying about the circumstances?

joni1269
09-07-2004, 10:57 AM
Joni, it is not your place to tell the DA or any other official anything. You did not witness the beating and therefore everything that you have "heard" about it is "hearsay" no matter who told you.

The law defines hearsay as: Evidence based on what the witness has heard someone else say, rather than what the witness has personally experienced or observed.

The truth will come out in court, the attorneys will make sure it does. There is no need for you to contact anyone to tell what you heard. It would be different if you were there and saw it happening in front of your own eyes.

It really does not matter where it took place anyway. The facts seem to suggest that one man jumped another and the one being jumped ended up paralyzed. Where it happened at is irrelevant. The paralyzed man will be able to sue the one that beat him, whether it happened at a bar or at the Christian Rock concert, provided that he has witnesses and can prove that he was jumped for no reason.

Andrea

Thanks. I wasn't planning on talking to anyone involved in the case, the details were printed in the paper. I was just wondering if I should tell my friend that I know Howard, and that some of the details aren't lining up with the facts. I have pretty much decided to leave well enough alone - it isn't like she will run into the guy at my house or anything.

Yes, Howard deserves what he gets. I still can't believe I know somebody that is capable of being so heartless. This poor man can't work anymore, or take a walk with his family. He is sueing the bar where the attack occured. I hope he wins, because he will be unable to work now. Howard certainly doesn't have any money..

ntgsmommy
09-07-2004, 06:35 PM
I think you should let your conscience be your guide, it might be hearsay, but someone may find it useful..your tips could lead to someone who actually saw the incident. If it was me that was beat senseless, I would want everyone who knows anything to come forward and tell what they know... I think "Howard" could be (should be) charged with attempted murder...

tommyjo
09-07-2004, 10:35 PM
I just hope the "poor guy" didnt have his teenage daughters at the bar, as the OP said she was told. if the victim is lying, then there must be a reason for it, dont ya think? JMHO

msmom79
09-07-2004, 10:55 PM
oh my gosh this is sad he did this in front of the mans children? what is wrong with people.this is just to sad. i believe in karma,and this will come back to him!!

joni1269
09-08-2004, 06:35 AM
I just hope the "poor guy" didnt have his teenage daughters at the bar, as the OP said she was told. if the victim is lying, then there must be a reason for it, dont ya think? JMHO

That is exactly what I am trying to figure out. What Howard did is horrible and incriminating by itself - why try to make it sound worse??

The Dallas Observer ran an article when they picked Howard up in California. The article states that they were in a bar, at a rock concert. I'm sure the attorneys read the article too, so I don't think I should tell them. Besides, I am not helping Howard - he is on his own.

I know I shouldn't, but I feel so guilty just for knowing this guy.

babygirl_8
09-09-2004, 11:24 PM
Well I think I would be more likely to believe the first story that you heard from the co-worker, expecially after reading the article. Your "friend" sounds like a real jerk.

Fight Songs
A father took his two teenage daughters to the Old 97's show. He ended up in the hospital with serious injuries. What really happened?
BY SARAH HEPOLA
feedback@dallasobserver.com

From the Week of Thursday, August 5, 2004

On Sunday, July 25, a 44-year-old father took his two teenage daughters to an Old 97's show at the Gypsy Tea Room. He left on a stretcher and may not walk again.
What happened in between is uncertain. Around 12:20 a.m. Monday, as concertgoers exited the show, an altercation occurred between the father and a man known to Deep Ellum cops as a troublemaker. Only a handful of witnesses saw what incited the fight, but several saw what happened next. A scuffle, screams, bouncers converging to break it up.

"You saw the yelling, you heard the movement," remembers musician Salim Nourallah, who had opened the Old 97's show that night and was working the merchandise booth. "But it was over in a matter of seconds." When the lights came up, all that was left was a pool of blood.

By now, rumors have grown wings and two heads. One version had the father defending his daughter against sexual advances. One version had the father defending a black man assaulted with cigarette ash. One version involved a beer bottle smashed over the father's head, his neck stomped and face crushed against the cement, skinhead-style. The Dallas police offense report tells a much less sensational story: a verbal altercation over spilled beer, which resulted in a fight and a 6-inch laceration to the victim's head. The report says the victim fell down, striking his head against the edge of the stage. Other sources, however, say the police report is incorrect on several points.

The most harrowing part is the severity of the man's injuries. The victim, who spoke briefly with the Dallas Observer, says doctors have told him he may never walk again. He described his attacker as a member of a "hate skinhead group." An investigator assigned to the case says police have identified a suspect. No arrest had been made, however, by the time this article went to press.

Eric Schlather, part owner of the Gypsy Tea Room, was shaken by the incident. "It's hard to fathom that someone could be injured so badly in that amount of time without a weapon. It's scary," Schlather says. "I've never heard or seen anything like it. I can't believe something like this took place in our establishment. Something like this--you just can't prepare for it."

The suspect fled the scene before police arrived. When asked why Gypsy Tea Room security failed to stop the suspect from leaving, Schlather answered, "He was out of control. I'd heard some suggestion that we were trying to help this guy. There is absolutely no way. If anything, [security was] kind of scared of the guy. He'd really turned into an animal. What he did in the amount of time he did it in is unheard of."

Adds Scott Beggs, a talent buyer for Gypsy who has worked security before, "When you're breaking up a fight, grabbing somebody and having to detain them is a pretty tough deal. You keep somebody around, you're looking for more problems. You just want to get the people out. At the time it went down, nobody knew the guy was that beat up."

It's nonetheless a black eye for the Gypsy Tea Room, a venue that has historically been a haven from the random violence of Deep Ellum, and a club that has been voted Best Live Music Venue in Dallas several times by Observer readers. And even more shocking that such an incident could occur at an Old 97's show, generally known for tipsy sing-along fans and teen girls swooning over Rhett Miller. If an Old 97's show isn't safe, what show is?

The Old 97's had left the stage by the time of the incident and weren't aware of it until earlier this week. Members have since been in touch with the family. "We are shocked and upset that such a tragedy could happen at one of our shows," writes guitarist Ken Bethea by e-mail. "Our hearts go out to the family, and we will help them in whatever ways we are able."

Schlather seconds that notion. "We'd like to try to assist if there is a movement for a benefit," he says. "We'll assist in any way we can."

If anyone was a witness to this incident and has any more information, please call the Dallas Police Department at 214-671-3634.

joni1269
09-10-2004, 06:35 AM
OMG! That is not the article I read. I saw the one in the Observer when they captured him. Thank you for posting it, DH will want to see this.

This thing has me so upset - I just can't believe I know someone who could be so violent and heartless.

Can you think of anything I could do to help this guy? How would I find out if there is a fund set up? I did a search @ DallasNews.com and nothing came up.

I think a college fund for the daughters would be helpful since their father obviously won't be working anymore.

Damnifiknw
09-11-2004, 12:19 AM
Your friend will be living in a lil' cell for a long time if conviced. There was a man here who beat the living tar out of a man who was having an affair with his wife. He got life in prison. Your friend will know what he!! is like as soon as he's behind those bars with men who have nothing to lose..

buglebe
09-19-2004, 07:30 PM
Any update on this story?

joni1269
09-20-2004, 07:42 AM
Attack victim focuses on blessings

Lakewood man left paralyzed after Deep Ellum assault

09:44 AM CDT on Wednesday, September 1, 2004

By MARY ANN RAZZUK / WFAA-TV

A Lakewood man left with a broken neck and serious spinal cord injury after an attack at the Gypsy Tea Room in Deep Ellum faces the possibility of lasting paralysis.

David Cunniff now spends long hours at the Baylor Rehabilitation Center, where he talked to News 8 about his ordeal.

Cunniff looks beyond his paralysis and pain to focus on his many blessings.

"My fingers and hands - they don't work, but hopefully they will," Cunniff said. "I'm just glad to be alive; I'm lucky to be here. I have my family, (and) I have an incredible amount of support from my friends."

Those friends include actor Owen Wilson, who knew Cunniff when he lived in Dallas.

The messages of love and support give Cunniff strength to get through a daily journey of rehabilitation starting at 9 a.m., with just a one-hour break.

"Then I'm back for occupational therapy at 1:30, then I go to recreational therapy, and then physical therapy and then aquatics," he said. "I think I'm making some progress; my hands are getting stronger, and I can move my toes."

The 44-year-old father of three was paralyzed from the chest down last month after Dallas police said he was assaulted by a man in Deep Ellum as Cunniff's daughters looked on. Cunniff could not discuss the case because of the ongoing police investigation.

Now, accomplishing simple tasks are major victories for the home-remodeling contractor who lived an active life and is dedicated to his children. Even now, he looks for ways to embrace life and cherished moments with his infant son and two teenage daughters.

"We went skydiving for my daughter's birthday last year when she turned 18; she's got another birthday coming up next month, but I don't know if we'll do it this year," he said with a laugh.

Indeed, laughter and fellowship play a large part in keeping Cunniff in good spirits.

"That helps me," he said. "I think (it's) good for my heart and soul; it's rehab for me as well, and that's what has helped keep me going."

belle356
09-22-2004, 07:51 AM
Karma? WHat comes around goes around? PFTTTT People continue to do wrong and karma doesnt come around. How many times and how many people need to suffer before karma comes around? So when the guy is 50 something bad is going to happen to him? I can tell you this..... if someone would hurt my child or a loved one of mine.... I cant wait for karma....enough said. Does 2 wrongs make a right? YEP! I just watched the movie Man On Fire so Im a tad fired up myself. If you havent seen it you need to! Its great! I would do anything or give anyone anything that I have. I believe I am a good person but if in any way shape or form i am crossed I cant sleep until justice is done. I feel it teaches people lessons. I dont mean going to hunt them down and kill them . I mean thinking it through and making them suffer in a way they did to me. I wish I could go back in time and live the way my ancestors did. Im Italian. LOL!