PDA

View Full Version : What I really miss, petty diabetic vent

iluvmybaby
09-05-2004, 11:13 AM
REAL soda, not that diet stuff ((although diet sprite really isnt THAT bad)) candy, especially choclate, all my favorite food thats of course is loaded with carbs, McDonalds french fries ....sorry had to wipe the drool off my keyboard....what else??? Oh yes the biggest greasiest cheeseburger ever and steak and shakes fries covered in chedder sauce...
Oh well, I live my fingers and toes better, I just had a moment of whimsy. GOOD news is I have lost 10 lbs since I found out, I am losing my Buddha belly :p

wubbywa
09-05-2004, 11:52 AM
You know there is some really good chocolate cand y that you can buy that is sugar free. I am blank on the name the bag has a green color to it, you can buy it at Walmarts, other places too and I believe it starts with an s it is a known brand.

Goobie
09-05-2004, 12:36 PM
The new 7up Plus is AWESOME and it's made with Splenda. Plus it's low carb and low calorie as well.

schsa
09-05-2004, 02:50 PM
You can eat that stuff and you might as well eat it when you crave it or you won't stay on your diet. But you can't sit down and eat a bag of M&M's or you will have horrible diarrhea. You can have the french fries but get the little kid size burger and fries when you want it.

Understand that cutting out carbs altogether isn't good for you. Eat what you want but eat smaller portions. Eat what you want but know that if you splurge today that your blood sugar is going to reflect it and that tomorrow you have to be good. Don't deprive yourself or you will go nuts. Just be careful about what you eat and how much. :)

justme23
09-05-2004, 03:57 PM
You can eat that stuff and you might as well eat it when you crave it or you won't stay on your diet. But you can't sit down and eat a bag of M&M's or you will have horrible diarrhea. You can have the french fries but get the little kid size burger and fries when you want it.

Understand that cutting out carbs altogether isn't good for you. Eat what you want but eat smaller portions. Eat what you want but know that if you splurge today that your blood sugar is going to reflect it and that tomorrow you have to be good. Don't deprive yourself or you will go nuts. Just be careful about what you eat and how much. :)

She can't eat it, she's diabetic... but as the above poster said, there is some REALLY good sugar free stuff out there!

iluvmybaby
09-05-2004, 04:20 PM
Thanks guys for all the support I appreciate it, I know that it is a petty vent with all that is going on with the world, but you know what, it sucks sometimes. I still get to eat a lot of what I like, a small kiddie burger, no fries ((at least fast food bought)) and a piece of pizza. I am doing really good, losing weight, but sometimes it is like its not fair, which isnt true because I am lucky that I caught mine before I did some serious damage to myself, so for that I am thankful. I was not living healthy before, so this was forced but good wakeup call to straighten up, eat less, excercise more, to really respect my mind and my body by eating right.
One thing that it has taught me, there is a positive in EVERy negative, you just got to look for it

LOL PS, btw the diabetic sugar free choclate has warnings, may cause diaretic affent, another lady who is a diabetic ate three in one day and spend the afternoon in the ladys room powdering her nose

DBackFan
09-05-2004, 04:21 PM
The best sugar free chocolate is anything by Russel Stover...yum.

I make my own, you should try it!

2 squares unsw choc
1/4 cup butter

Melt in micro

Add 1/2 cup splenda
Flavored Davinci syrup (I use Vanilla or coconut)
2 TBL havy cream

Mix together with some peanuts if you like and pour onto foil lined pan and put in freezer. Absolutely the best chocolate I have evr had. :)

Also have that big cheeseburger wrapped in lettuce instead of that bun!

freeplease
09-05-2004, 06:43 PM
I'm in your boat, and you are correct, it sucks. :(
However, there are low carb buns-Pepperidge Farm. And now that I'm using them for burgers, my family prefers them to the regular ones. And load that burger up on lettuce. They crunch better, and you can have three and a half cups of lettuce without your blood going up any. :eek:
I can't help you with the candy. I miss it, too. But I eat sugar free Jello for my treat. No carbs, and it's a free exchange. It isn't a hershey, but we do what we have to...
And I drink tons of club soda. It gives me a decent fizzy, and it's a freebie, too.
And be sure and get your exercise. It makes a huge difference. I do a half hour everyday on my gazelle, and I'm almost 35 pounds thinner after less than a year. And my levels are just that-level.
Just keep at it. You can do this. PM me if you need some coaxing. I'm no authority, but I do feel your pain. ;)

DivineMsDi
09-06-2004, 05:50 AM
I feel for you....I hope I never get that disease because I love sugar....

I am very sure it is really, really hard. You hang in there....be well. Your vent is as valid as anyone else's!!!

donnakc
09-06-2004, 06:02 AM
You can eat sugar. If you limit carbs you can eat a candy bar. Actually, Reese's peanut butter cups are the best to eat. The protien in the peanut butter slows the sugar entering your bloodstream. As far as cheeseburgers, diabetics can eat those. Your Doctor must have you on a low calorie diet. The soft drinks with sugar you shouldn't ever drink. Oh yah, on the candy bars- you can't eat them everyday. But once a week would be ok.

dangerousfem
09-06-2004, 07:33 AM
The best sugar free chocolate is anything by Russel Stover...yum.

I make my own, you should try it!

2 squares unsw choc
1/4 cup butter

Melt in micro

Add 1/2 cup splenda
Flavored Davinci syrup (I use Vanilla or coconut)
2 TBL havy cream

Mix together with some peanuts if you like and pour onto foil lined pan and put in freezer. Absolutely the best chocolate I have evr had. :)

Also have that big cheeseburger wrapped in lettuce instead of that bun!

What is Flavored Davinci syrup? I would love to try this recipe.. I have been on atkins for a week.. and man I miss my chocolate..

iluvmybaby
09-06-2004, 08:19 AM
:cool: I cant find
Flavored Davinci syrup not even at Walmart ((insert crying face)) I want choclate!!! Maybe some from the big city can tell me where I can get it and how much it is, heck if I have too I will paypal someone the $ to get it for me and mail it to me, I want choclate!!!!!!

DBackFan
09-06-2004, 08:35 AM
You can usually find DaVincis or Toranis SF syrups at the grocer but try Costco, Smart & Final, Sams Club, TJ Maxx or even your local espresso shops. You can also order online at MANY places including netrition.com.

The chocolate is not that good but most of the others are awesome.

For this recipe you could add more splenda and just add regular vanilla or fave flavoring too.

Rachwes
09-06-2004, 09:12 AM
My hubby has diabetes and he really hasn't changed his diet that much. He drinks diet soda but other than that , he eats pretty much what he wants. His doctor told him that he could eat what he wants just control the portions. He is on 2 oral medications and that keeps his blood sugar under control. I know it's different for every diabetic though.

schsa
09-06-2004, 11:43 AM
I am diabetic. If you watch what you eat and don't snarf down everything that you see you can enjoy chocolate, cookies, crackers and all of that stuff. But you can't sit down and eat large amounts of anything.

I am a type 2 diabetic. The meds help and the diet helps. I don't deprive myself of anything but I know that if I over eat, it's going to show up on my glucose monitor. If you are craving something, have it but understand that you have to be careful.

donnakc
09-06-2004, 12:44 PM
I am diabetic. If you watch what you eat and don't snarf down everything that you see you can enjoy chocolate, cookies, crackers and all of that stuff. But you can't sit down and eat large amounts of anything.

I am a type 2 diabetic. The meds help and the diet helps. I don't deprive myself of anything but I know that if I over eat, it's going to show up on my glucose monitor. If you are craving something, have it but understand that you have to be careful.

This is how I eat too. Idealy, I eat 3 meals with an afternoon and evening snack. Overeating can cause more problems than what you eat.

Azriel_LittleHawk
09-06-2004, 06:39 PM
ok..DIET RITE soda..sugar/caffeine free , low carb and dang if they don't have some good flavors..though i love their cola. if you can stomach/LIKE RC cola , then try this soda. i ONLY drink diet rite. period.
oh an russel stovers has come out with some REALY good chocolates. their mint patties, sugar free /low carb are to friggin DIE FOR!! and their pecan caramel chocolate thingies are heaven..DEATH BY CHOCOLATE!!! *LOL*
as for fries? yech. havn't had one in 3 yrs and not missing it. *G* LUVIN fitting into the new bra's, shirts and pants. just got into a spalding 3XL t shirt..an it's a bit baggy!! **mind was wearing a 6XL!!! SERIOUSLY!!** i can shop at walmart now instead of the big womens store..JOY!!!!!!!!
ah well.. good job resisting!! i am REALY PROUD of you!!
take care!!
Az <--doing the low carb thing. mind i allow myself veggies an salads so i deviate from atkins somewhat. but still it works!!!

PS: DBACK FAN!! THANKS FOR THE RECIPE!! and i am rather glad that the suger free/low carb candies "sugar alcohols" make ya go to the potty if you eat to much. one time did i scarf 5 peices..spent the next several hours in the bathroom. definately a good "behaviour modification" side effect. *L*

buglebe
09-06-2004, 08:12 PM
Being diabetic sucks, there is nothing good about it. DH and I are both diabetic. The problem with us regarding anything sweet or salty is that we can not eat it in moderation. So the only thing we can do is not buy it. I took care of my dad as he had a foot, BKA, and then AKA. I have had renal failure 3 times. And I am an RN. Even with all this going on I will still over eat or eat something I shouldn't. Sometimes I have wonderful control and sometimes no control. If anyone understands the seriousness of this disease I do. I do take medicine to keep my sugar down and I know to adjust it when I over eat. I don't think I have a point here, I am just saying I understand. Be proud of yourself everyday you keep your sugar where it should be, whether it be from eating less, exercising or medicine.

matt111
09-07-2004, 08:37 AM
u can eat anything if u count it into ur menu plan
mcdonalds look info here
http://www.mcdonalds.com/app_controller.nutrition.categories.nutrition.inde x.html
snickers bar (MY FAV) has 34 gr carb
remember to subtract fiber from carbs for tru carb count
HTH

Alessandra
09-07-2004, 12:28 PM
I don't think your post is petty at all, even considering what is going on in the world today. Diabetes is a terrible disease that no one should have to deal with. I give you credit for recognizing that you can't have these things if you want to live. Too many diabetics "cheat" and end up with wildly fluctuating blood sugar levels or worse things such as blindness and amputations.

Your life is more important than all that junk food !!! Even non-diabetics should avoid the foods you miss the most (me included).

wubbywa
09-07-2004, 06:28 PM
Rusell Stover thats it the candy that is so good and sugar free. I was close it does have an s in it.