PDA

View Full Version : Need opinions - school/college related.

aerofx
09-04-2004, 11:25 PM
Okay.... I don't have much time to decide & basically the situation is that in order to get IGETC certified (general education requirements), I have only about 3 classes that will count under English/Critical Thinking. I have to choose between attending a class every Mon. night for 3 hours (I know the teacher is not too hard though) or taking an online class (Philosophy)- with no class meetings on campus, but the teacher is known for being difficult & Phil. is already a confusing enough subject.

What would you guys do?

suziebee20
09-04-2004, 11:33 PM
If I were you, I'd do the Monday nights. It sounds like you probably know the way to go already by the information you have given. I'd choose the three hour classes over the online class any day. With a confusing subject and no campus meetings, plus a difficult teacher, it would probably be better. Sure it's easier sit at the computer online and not have to leave home three hours every Monday night, but my reccomendation would be for the classroom class. It would be a lot easier in the long run when it comes down to the grade you get. :) Good luck either way you go!

justme23
09-04-2004, 11:40 PM
It's Monday... nothing else to do on Mondays... I'd rather go to class... but that's cause I know I wouldn't study w/ online courses.

gemini26
09-04-2004, 11:42 PM
Go with what your gut tells you. Is the teacher available in his office if you are having difficulty? Will you have "discussions" via an online board through your school? How comfortable are you with the subject? Have you ever taken online courses before and do you have the discipline to take a course like this where you are solely responsible for your grade? Do you have responsibilities to think about being gone every Monday night for three hours like a child?

I personally love online classes because it affords me the freedom to do the class when it is convenient for me. But I'm busy. I do an internship with the city, work part time, and take a full load. Not to mention that I am a mother of two kids and a wife. I have taken all kinds of courses online. I even took a microeconomics which was difficult as it was a subject I never took and didn't have a clue about. But my teacher was available via a "discussion" board and through his office.

aerofx
09-05-2004, 03:43 AM
I have no problems taking online classes & in fact, the majority of the classes I have taken in my 2 yrs. at this school WERE distance learning (either TV or online classes) because I have a young child. So for me, the problem is not the motivation & I know that I will do the work whether or not I am in class or just at home. I guess the main things that I am thinking about are: 1) the safety issue - going to class by myself at night, not too bad when the campus is full, but when I get out at 10 & it's deserted :( and 2) the time spent away from my daughter, since I will be away from her that much more than if I took dist. learning. I really am not leaning either way in particular, because there are pros & cons to each choice. Can you tell I'm indecisive? :)