PDA

View Full Version : I don't feel "inspired"

suziebee20
09-04-2004, 09:31 PM
I have a rough draft illustration essay due Wednesday, it was assigned Wednesday to me, and I just don't feel inspired to write. It's a character analysis of one of the characters in my book. I have my character and all my pages marked with the quotes and examples I want to use- I just can't write it. I spent two hours on the introductory paragraph and it's so bad, it's "high-school." It's only three sentances long as well... I keep getting unfocused and stressing over each small part trying to perfect what I have before going on. If anyone has ever read Gail Godwin's "The Watcher at the Gate," you'd see what I mean. Here it is for those interested, it's not a long read. (http://www.csun.edu/~hceng006/watcher.htm) Anyone else ever feel like this?

I'm gonna try to get it done before Monday so Monday can be my relaxing day. I want to get it out of the way so I stop worrying about it. I feel guilty going out, watching a movie or TV show, typing this post, or doing something else because writing this paper lingers in my head and I keep stressing about it.

Lol, I got my Sushi, I got my Sunkist Soda, I'm gonna write- so I hope. :cool:

ocvachick
09-04-2004, 10:22 PM
Best of luck!! I know how you feel completely, it will all come together even if its at the last minute.

gemini26
09-04-2004, 11:51 PM
I never feel inspired when a teacher tells me what to write about. Its just one of those things you deal with when foing to college. I know you are fairly new to it and will soon get in a groove. I do my best work at the last minute (read night before) but I don't recommend it. Best thing to do is do your best and then see how the teacher grades and adjust your writing to the style they favor. Hope you get it done by Monday.

suziebee20
09-05-2004, 12:08 AM
I never feel inspired when a teacher tells me what to write about. Its just one of those things you deal with when foing to college. I know you are fairly new to it and will soon get in a groove. I do my best work at the last minute (read night before) but I don't recommend it. Best thing to do is do your best and then see how the teacher grades and adjust your writing to the style they favor. Hope you get it done by Monday.

I'm like that with big projects. Bad procrastinator, but I always pull of As when I stay up late working on something the night before. Of course I'm a stress case the next morning. I find when I try to do things in advance I don't do as well... Maybe it's just the pressure of getting it done that motivates me?

Well anyway, I have the first 1 1/2 paragraphs. It's English 110, and I don't even get general ed credit until I get to English 120, so it's a little below "college level." The guidelines said must be between 550-600 words. I'm afraid mine is going to be a bit longer so I'm not worried about it coming off short or anything. My intro paragraph alone is a little over 120.

A sad thing did happen though. As I was typing it, my computer shut down. The lights in front were blinking yellow, but that was it. I kept trying to hit the power and reset and kept getting a blink. I shut of the strip many times and tried to get it to go back on but it wouldn't. As soon as I call my grandpa, he hits the power strip, hits the power button, and it works. :mad: "All you had to do was..." GEE... I tried that ten times grandpa, it must like him or something. Anyway, Microsoft word was kind enough to back it up, so it's alright. :)

nanajoanie
09-05-2004, 06:59 AM
Maybe eating some cheese will help inspire you :) Trying to make you smile :) I see worry lines on your pretty face. That's a no no.

jedmatters
09-05-2004, 07:11 AM
Way back when I went to college, my professor taught the thought tree. Maybe it will help.

Draw a truck for the tree. Write your topic in it.
At the bottom, draw root lines for background (like the title, author and character's name).

Now draw a line for each thought you have (these are the branches). Draw smaller lines off the branches for adjectives and quotes you think of that describe why you came up with that one branch.
Write everything down. Whether it deals with the topic or not. The important thing is to get your ideas out of your head and on to paper. After you get your thoughts outs. Start reading them. If you see it does not fit, cross out that branch. If you think of more decriptions, add them.

A few words are usually enough, full sentences are not necessary here.

I hope that helps, and good luck to you.

Oh, and to shorten a long paper, read it from the last line of the paper, reading each sentence by itself. See if you can say the same thing with fewer adverbs or adjectives. Or if you said the same thing in a different sentence.

Good luck, and write your mind.

suziebee20
09-05-2004, 09:10 PM
Bah! I'm done, but it's a little over 700 words. It's only a rough draft so when we do peer editing maybe I'll get some help figuring out what to cut out. Those 700 some words are after I went through line by line trying to cut out anything and everything I could. It looks so weird because my paragraphs are LITTLE!!!

The thing was he told us to use lots of specifics because it's an illustration essay. He said specific dates, seasons, names, etc... BAH!

Anyway... it's finished, and I still feel guilty about going on Pogo and playing games... hmmm... must be the fact I have three tests this week. I already know all the material and I'm saving typing my 20 vocab sentances for Tuesday night so I'll have a final chance to get them in my head for Wednesdays Vocab test.

*sigh*