PDA

View Full Version : Can ya get any worse??? thank you!

buttrfli
09-03-2004, 07:20 AM
My Asthma is SOOOO bad right now. I don't think I've ever been this bad for this long (2 days). I have asthma and smoked (yea I know :rolleyes: ) but quit smoking on wednesday and I don't think I have ever used my inhailer as much as I am now :( I am literally taking it every 2 hours (as opposed to twice a day)

Figures that my dr can't see me until last week. Never mind the fact that I couldn't carry on a conversation with him w/o gasping for air. Too bad its friday or I'd just go to the ER, but if I am not better tomorrow, I will go in the morning.

On a good note: I kept one last pack of smokes "just in case" and this morning I got up and put them down the garbage disposal. :) I keep seeing those lungs on Oprah over and over and ther is no way I will ever stick another cig in my mouth EVER again.

Whats funny is that you'd think with my asthma, I'd have quit long ago... hard core I suppose, but never ever again will I touch another.

... wheres tadbit??? I need to find a copy of that show and send it to her...

adorkablex
09-03-2004, 08:00 AM
I wish my Mom would give up smoking. It drives me crazy. I know it's bad. She knows it's bad. But she's been smoking for over 25 years and it's hard for her. All the cancer in our family, you'd think she'd figure it out.

gobs101
09-03-2004, 08:13 AM
My Asthma is SOOOO bad right now. I don't think I've ever been this bad for this long (2 days). I have asthma and smoked (yea I know :rolleyes: ) but quit smoking on wednesday and I don't think I have ever used my inhailer as much as I am now :( I am literally taking it every 2 hours (as opposed to twice a day)

Figures that my dr can't see me until last week. Never mind the fact that I couldn't carry on a conversation with him w/o gasping for air. Too bad its friday or I'd just go to the ER, but if I am not better tomorrow, I will go in the morning.

If you are gasping for air and using your inhaler every 2 hrs I DO NOT understand why you havent gone to the ER vs waiting for a Dr apt. Over use of your inhaler can lead to heart failuare and send your blood pressure out the roof. I also have asthma and was given a nubuliser to use at home. Do you have one? Maybe you can ask your Dr about RX one for you as right now would be an excelent time for you to be using it.
Hope you feel better soon and congrats on quiting smoking as I do know how hard that can be. I was a smoker too till my lung collasped on a very hot humid day. The ambulance came and when they determined what was wrong they ripped open my uniform cut me just to the side of my boob and stuck a tube in my lung. I will tell you THAT HURT!!!! I swore that I would never go through that agin and since 91 have not touched another cig. Sometimes it takes something like that to make rock headed people like me to quite.
Good luck to you!!!

buttrfli
09-03-2004, 08:24 AM
If you are gasping for air and using your inhaler every 2 hrs I DO NOT understand why you havent gone to the ER vs waiting for a Dr apt. Over use of your inhaler can lead to heart failuare and send your blood pressure out the roof.

Actually I am on my way out to the ER... DH has the car out of town and MIL is on her way over... I really keep thinking that I will jsut get better if I be REAL still and don't exert myself, but DH is freaking and I will post when I get home! :)

JKATHERINE
09-03-2004, 09:09 AM
Good for you for quitting smoking! I know firsthand how hard it is. I quit 2/14/03. I never felt worse in my life as I did in the 2 months following quitting. My body was ridding itself of all of the toxins and I felt TERRIBLE! I've gained weight (most people who quit do), but I've never felt better, even when I was a lot skinnier 5 years ago! I am thankful everyday that I quit smoking and that I had the support of my family (most of all my DH) to do so.

CONGRATULATIONS!

And, please update us when you get back from the ER.

-Jamie-

sahmsfreeb
09-03-2004, 09:14 AM
take care .... waiting to see how you are....

sidebar.... those nasty cigs! i was once a smoker... quit now 14 years...
i can still feel the urge to light up! durn things should be illegal...
now do the math... im 34ish years old...

MamaFairal
09-03-2004, 09:52 AM
Congrats on quitting :)

Coming from a family of 8 kids and being the only one who has never smoked(Me Me Me!) i also watched my Mom die of emphyzema(sp?) and wish i could get my 2 DD to quit everday :(

Keep up updated when ya get back form ER

twinkiesmom
09-03-2004, 10:04 AM
10.5 yrs off the smokes here. Glad I quit too. Hope you get yourself feeling better after the ER. WTG on quitting!

Angel Lips
09-03-2004, 12:29 PM
I wish my Mom would give up smoking. It drives me crazy. I know it's bad. She knows it's bad. But she's been smoking for over 25 years and it's hard for her. All the cancer in our family, you'd think she'd figure it out.

i wish my mom would give up the stinky habit as well, she had for awhile and recently started up again

kelly12569
09-03-2004, 01:04 PM
Just wanted to let ya know what my husbands dr told him about a month ago. He is trying to quit smoking. They gave him the inhaler ( the quit smoking one, cant think of name of it right now) Anyways.... our dr told us that he would probably cough and hack for a good 2 months after quitting because your body still has all the crud n crap in there from the past 20 yrs he's been smoking. He was doing really well at first. The pnumonia he caught is what started it. He couldnt hit a cig or puff off of it cuz he couldnt breath! so that did it..... but now I notice he is picking back up :( I refuse to buy them for him anymore but he's been buying them on his way to work , etc ugghhhh

As for your asthma....mine has been HORRIBLE lately. I went to the dr yesterday for another allergy shot. I think thats what has been bothering my asthma so much lately. I start off with my allergies and end up not being able to breath. Me, my 8 yr old , and my 15 yr old all use a nebulizer as needed. Me and the oldest have inhalers. And me and the youngest both take the same allergies meds, same stregnth , etc. I hate to see them suffering from their allergies, etc because I know how it feels. I was miserable as a kid because of my asthma.

Ok... Ive sidetracked...sorry... I hope you are feeling better soon. Please keep us posted

1tiredmom
09-03-2004, 03:12 PM
ds has been having attacks wwith the weather changes-plus he smokes which i get so upset when i see one in his mouth-nobody in the house smokes(hubby stopped smoking 18 years ago -when ds was 5 yrs old)we always spoke about the dangers like they say to do on tv-the day he made 18, the twip went out & bought a pack just because he could,claims just wanted to see what it was like--well he's 23 & still trying to see what it's like & when he starts with that hacking cough -i just walk away-sorry got carried away -my friend wasn't home

iluvmybaby
09-03-2004, 04:09 PM
ahhhhh how powerful the addiction to tobacco, someone I know had partial heart failure which caused pnemonia, she was in the hospital a week, came home on oxygen barily able to even breat and she was trying to suck on a ciggy :rolleyes: I dont understand, but I have never smoked....I told her she could pay me everytime she gets a urge to smoke she can pay me $3 to whack her in the head with a board, that way she would associate pain with smoking......

Freebeemom
09-03-2004, 04:13 PM
If you are gasping for air and using your inhaler every 2 hrs I DO NOT understand why you havent gone to the ER vs waiting for a Dr apt. Over use of your inhaler can lead to heart failuare and send your blood pressure out the roof. I also have asthma and was given a nubuliser to use at home. Do you have one? Maybe you can ask your Dr about RX one for you as right now would be an excelent time for you to be using it.
Hope you feel better soon and congrats on quiting smoking as I do know how hard that can be. I was a smoker too till my lung collasped on a very hot humid day. The ambulance came and when they determined what was wrong they ripped open my uniform cut me just to the side of my boob and stuck a tube in my lung. I will tell you THAT HURT!!!! I swore that I would never go through that agin and since 91 have not touched another cig. Sometimes it takes something like that to make rock headed people like me to quite.
Good luck to you!!!

ITA...my daughters have it and I would be on my way!!

GO TO THE ER!!

buttrfli
09-04-2004, 01:29 PM
I'm home today.... LONG ER stay. I was sicker than I thought, but am feeling better now that I am back home... I am going to bed and get some sleep, will come back when I am rested...

day # 4, no cigs and I am a "female dog"!!! ;)

swoose
09-04-2004, 06:10 PM
Nothing like a good old fashioned asthma attack to give you the incentive to stop smoking. That's what it took for me and I thank God everyday for it. I never would been able to quit on my own if that hadn't happened. My dh also quit at the same time to make it easier for me. Its been 5 years last month. Take this opportunity and run with it.

iluvmybaby
09-04-2004, 08:15 PM
I hope that you are feeling better, what was wrong, just an asthma attack or??? Sendings hugs and positive thoughts ur way

SouthOSane
09-04-2004, 08:53 PM
glad your home..

lemme tell ya tho..I'm 36 SOLID days free, I quit, smoked, etc, quit, smoked..etc.,, I'm solid now..I'm not gonna fark it up

Your lungs are gonna revolt, mine have... :rolleyes: but good for you and your quit, keep it up :) They/You need to heal/need to deal....I was on 2 inhalers, one preventative, one for sudden attacks..and smoking..it's funny I could say "hey don't use salt", but then in the background I was puffing an inhaler TO be able to smoke

Ya ever wanna *****, moan, talk fee free to PM or email me, even if I've quit before/now I'm still new to it..

I'll be sending a lil less to the tobacco companies and asthma drug makers now :)

And ya know what, (since this is the only spot I've spoke freely about my weightloss) at least if I gain weight now from quitting, I'll be healthier to loose it later then I ever have been :)

queenangie
09-04-2004, 09:06 PM
Glad to hear you made it to ER for some help.

Also am proud of you for giving up the cigs. That's a tough habit to break, but I know you can do it.

I am asthma too, though it took me a lonnnnnng time to admit it. (Wheeze, wheeze, wheeze!) I have 2 inhalers: atrovent AM and PM daily use for 'maintance'.
The albuterol is for emergencies.

My asthma really kicked up in May when a new housekeeper at work was using straight bleach 'from home' to get things really clean. It was just horrible.
The bleach was a no-no.

Luckily, I got straight to ER. Coughed so much and
sooooo hard, I lost urine. Not pretty in front of my co-workers. :+ (

I now keep the albuterol 'emergency' one in my bra when I'm away from home.
Generally don't have pockets or my purse with me, so the bra works. LOL!

You need a good asthma medical regime, dear. Your life and health depend on it.

buttrfli
09-05-2004, 07:23 AM
I hope that you are feeling better, what was wrong, just an asthma attack or??? Sendings hugs and positive thoughts ur way

Yep.. this one was the worse ever :( I am MUCH better today... except I am hacking like a 70 year old chain smoker :rolleyes:

No cigs still... still VERY "touchy" though LOL DH is actually going to work today to get out of the house hahahahaha