PDA

View Full Version : Anybody have an ulcer?

BigLyd1
09-01-2004, 06:30 AM
I think I might have one. Of course, I'll have to go to the doctor to find out for sure. But what kinds of symptoms do you have? What kinds of foods can you eat? Any tips for easing tummy troubles?

Tasha405
09-01-2004, 06:44 AM
I'm in the same boat as you. I have stomach problems but I'm not exactly sure what the problem is. {{{Hugs}}}

Eyore
09-01-2004, 07:15 AM
GRRRR
Posted a reply to this then hit send and got board is to busy. So I lost what I typed. Will try again.

Look on google and you will find all kinds of information on ulcers.
Many years ago I had pain where your ribs meet in the front center. At first it only hurt when I would eat, then it got to where I stayed in pain. I drank the barum and didn't show anything then they went down and looked in my stomach with a tube. No it doesn't hurt and your out for it.
It showed I had little sores on the lining of my stomach. I took medicine for it and it went away. Now I get alot of heartburn and take Nexium for it and it really helps alot.
My daugher while in her teens had the Helicobacter pylori infection which caused her alot of stomach pain. I think that is tested with a blood test and she had to take alot of pills for it.

BigLyd1
09-01-2004, 09:31 AM
Thank you all for the replies. I try to avoid greasy and spicy foods. But I didn't even think of avoiding tomato-based foods. The first time I started having these problems was when I had my mom's wonderful spaghetti sauce. I'd hate to give that up. :(

BigLyd1
09-01-2004, 04:20 PM
You might try adding a little sugar to the spaghetti sauce, it will counteract a little of the effect of the acid from the tomatoes. I won't make spaghetti sauce for hubby without it. :)

Hmm, I'll have to try that. I can't imagine giving up my mom's spaghetti sauce although hubby said he would gladly eat my portion. :eek:

The doctor gave me some Prevacid, so we'll see if that works.

Blackberry
09-01-2004, 10:30 PM
I had an ulcer when I was pregnant with my second child. Because I was preggers they did not want to do any tests like the tube down the throat. But judging by my symptoms the doctor told me I had one. The first doc. I told dismissed me completely saying I was too young to have an ulcer :mad: (I was 22) wouldn't even consider it. Luckily I got a second opinion. I remember the pain as a sort of hollow feeling in my stomach, painful but not sharp pains.

I hope you get good help for your stomach :)

Eyore
09-02-2004, 07:16 AM
The doctor gave me some Prevacid, so we'll see if that works.

Make sure you take it first thing in the morning when you get up and try to wait about 30 minutes to one hour before eating. It will work better if you do this. I used that in the past it did work for me but I started having a side effect (nothing serious) from it so changed to Nexium.