PDA

View Full Version : speech error that I hate on tv

justhisone
08-27-2004, 05:57 AM
There are some words that are used so incorrectly, and it is ok for those of us just talking to each other and getting our thoughts across. But it just really bothers me when actors or people doing commercials mispronounce words. It really does. That old actor who does the commercial about diabetes and says "I have diabetus" just drives me nuts. How many times do we have to hear it? My son in law said "diabetus" will end up in the dictionary so then it will be correct. Any others of you have things like this bother you? If so put them on here and lets all take a look.

buttrfli
08-27-2004, 06:50 AM
I don't think its so much a speech error as it is the way he speaks. I am from Oklahoma and never knew that I had an accent until I spent a year in Florida... oh boy that was fun! LOL I never knew what meal I was getting ready to eat becaues I was born "country" and there are 3 meals in a day:

breakfast
dinner
supper

When We would talk about the middle meal and I would say "dinner" I was teased (lovingly of course) to no end lol

My mom drives me crazy the way she pronounces "ICE"... she says "iace"

my cousin just moved here from living in New York all of her life.... and I still can't understand her ;)

Although that does not bother me, there are some things that bother me about how some people choose to use their words... my English teacher would be proud LOL

Tasha405
08-27-2004, 07:19 AM
I think its just his accent too. I know my DH says things that drive me crazy. Most of them are just down right funny though. lol

moogle
08-27-2004, 07:33 AM
LOL - my pet peeves are:

Saying "ax" instead of "ask" - come on - it's only 3 letters!!!

Saying something "needs fixed"....no, it "needs to be fixed".

I know I'm not perfect in my speech or grammar, but I try to catch
myself and correct it once I say something incorrectly.

(I check engineering drawings for a living, and it is a bad habit that
rolls over into my out-of-work life.)

llbriteyes
08-27-2004, 07:44 AM
LOL - my pet peeves are:

Saying something "needs fixed"....no, it "needs to be fixed".

I know I'm not perfect in my speech or grammar, but I try to catch
myself and correct it once I say something incorrectly.

(I check engineering drawings for a living, and it is a bad habit that
rolls over into my out-of-work life.)

Woohoo! Another pet peeve thread! ;) I've been waiting for one so I could mention a few.

ANXIOUS instead of EAGER. "Anxious" has negative connotations, while "eager" shows exitement. They are similar but opposite.

"A LOT." Its TWO words!

"would of" "could of" "should of." The contraction is pronounced that way, but it is spelled out, "would HAVE," "could HAVE, "should HAVE."

Linda

Tasha405
08-27-2004, 07:51 AM
If yall think these are bad.. you would have a ball with my MIL. I swear she cracks me up! She says things like... testess (for tests) and other things that I don't even know how to spell or even pronounce. LOL

LunaChick
08-27-2004, 08:02 AM
There are some words that are used so incorrectly, and it is ok for those of us just talking to each other and getting our thoughts across. But it just really bothers me when actors or people doing commercials mispronounce words. It really does. That old actor who does the commercial about diabetes and says "I have diabetus" just drives me nuts. How many times do we have to hear it? My son in law said "diabetus" will end up in the dictionary so then it will be correct. Any others of you have things like this bother you? If so put them on here and lets all take a look.

LOL and here I thought I was the only one. Wilford Brimley is his name or something close to that.

Of course with my Philly accent I have no room to talk and some of you would probably faint with the way some words come out sounding from my mouth.
:rolleyes:

buttrfli
08-27-2004, 08:12 AM
LOL - my pet peeves are:

OH!! That makes me NUTS!! I don't understand it!

On the "needs fixed" ... I say that too occasionally lol

Or I will say "till" instead of "until"

The one that makes my DH CRAZY is when I use "nother" as a word .. as opposed to Another LOL

I call all soft drinks "soda" and DH calls them coke.. no matter what brand it is, he calls his drink a "coke" that drives me nuts and proves to be very disturbing to our waiter/waitress when we are out to eat LOL

I love the Big Brother TV show but I can hardly stand to watch it when Adria and the now evicted Natalie talk.. every other word out of their mouth is "ain't" ... I do use it occasionally BUT when they talk, I swear they use it at least 3x's per sentence!

buttrfli
08-27-2004, 08:16 AM
I just remembered something.. I watched an Oprah show SEVERAL years ago and some young lady was talking to Oprah about something... what Oprah heard was "those africans that people keep in the trunk of their car" and she made the lady repeat what she said several times till she figured out that she was say "AFGANS" but pronouncing it "af-I-gans".. it was sooo funny, Oprah to her she may want to change the way she pronounces that word so she does not make anyone mad LOL

ChristiNate
08-27-2004, 08:20 AM
When I was preggo, MIL had a bad habit of saying umBIBLICAL cord, instead of umbilical cord. It cracked me up.

YNKYH8R
08-27-2004, 09:00 AM
Oh man! I have got to tell my wife about this one. LOL!

There is this lady that drops her kid off at my wife's day care and she says "toofas" instead of teeth. And when she talks about the stain remover shout, she refers to it as "shout it out", like the comercial from the 80's.

I'm not going to put my foot in my mouth about southern accents. But up here in Maine there are a lot of people I know who put an "r" sound on the back of any word ending in "a". Like: Pizza would be Peetzer, or soder (instead of Soda), the one that drives me nuts is when people say "veeser", instaed of V-i-s-a. People say it witha straight face to, like they don't know they've said it incorrectly.
Heck there is a guy on TV who sells cars, named Adam Lee, he sells Toyotas and Nissans. But he pronounces "Nissan" like Niss-in.

A lot of the slang in todays rap and hip/hop music drives me buggy to. I can listen to the words, know its english, and have no clue what is being said. It is like listening to old WWII code. LOL! :D

curlymae29
08-27-2004, 09:01 AM
My kids drive me crazy by saying 'air' instead of there, 'em' instead of them. They are grown and I still find myself correcting them. But we live in a little hick town and I'm fighting a loosing battle.

auntjudy
08-27-2004, 09:16 AM
My son's 7th grade teacher used to say "funner" all the time and even my son would correct him that it's not a word! Another one I've heard lately is "conversate" - not a real word either

lpelham
08-27-2004, 10:20 AM
I was watching the news from Little Rock AR the other night and the news lady said she could emphasize with someone. Not empathize...emphasize :-)

People here in Harrison will say they did something onest or twicest.

Libby

Willow
08-27-2004, 10:33 AM
I don't like hearing people say do when they should be saying does. For example..... That baby do look like you when it should be, that baby does look like you. I hear that a lot on Maury Povich when the mother's don't know who the father of their baby is. :rolleyes:

YankeeMary
08-27-2004, 11:15 AM
I call it pop, I was taught in school, that alot was one word, and I live in the Southnow and understand completely the adding the R..lol..My dh is from Alabama and there they learn people instead of teach them. Instead of I am going to go fix that light, they say I'm a fixin to go fix that there light. LOL. and my all time favorite is the way they say Light Bulb...is liiiight bub...hehe..I love the southern accent but still have a hard time understanding. Out of all fairness dh makes fun of me saying come on...the way they say it sounds like come own...lol.

Edited to add my sister and mother both (whom live in West Virginia) say worsh their clothes instead of wash. i am gonna go throw my clothes in the worsher..drives me crazy!!! LOL/

Tasha405
08-27-2004, 11:34 AM
We (DH & I) are both from WV but he is way worse than I am when it comes to stuff like this. I went about a year before I fould out his Aunt's real name was Mary instead of Murray! LOL! He drags out a lot of his words. Its so funny though.

When we lived in TN everyone at work would make fun of me for saying things like pop, fixin to do that and for saying 'em for them. Well I took a friend into work with me one day (its dh's cousins wife LOL, we were just visiting) and as soon as she said one sentence they said "you are from WV too huh?" She said Yeah, why? They said because we thought Tasha would drag out her words but you have her beat. LOL

I guess it just depends on where you were raised or lived. I guess ya kinda adapt to your surroundings and start picking up on those little things too.

kama5207
08-27-2004, 01:35 PM
i used to work in a school where the librarian used to say "welcome to the liberry"...every time i heard her say liberry, i tried so hard to bite my tongue and not say anything. i feel i didn't know her well enough and she would have been embarassed.

Bugster33
08-27-2004, 01:50 PM
My Mother has the strangest saying that drives the whole family nuts. My daughter and Nephew like to watch Wrestling, and it never fails she calls it Wrassling. Also the brand name Cherokee that they sell at Target, she pronounces Cherokeet. When you try and correct her she says, thats what I said. I give up. lol :rolleyes:

Bohemut
08-27-2004, 02:37 PM
LOL. I have a couple to add. My mother used to say Tydenol instead of Tylenol and Intendo instead of Nintendo. Being from PA she pronounced things a little differently too. For example, arn for iron when it's what you do to clothes (she did say iron for the ore though), waddah for water, and care-a-mel for caramel (car-mel).

One of my biggest pet peeves though is when someone says "on accident" instead of "by accident." It's something I tried for almost 20 years to break my DD from saying and last I knew she still said it. Sigh. LOL.

thedragonlady
08-27-2004, 03:30 PM
The one that bugs me is 'prolly'. It took ages to find out that was supposed to be 'probably'. Prolly isn't even a contraction much less a word. My neighbor's three year old says prolly because probably is too big of a word for her, but adults? I crack up over a friend who moved north a few years back. She swore her speech would never change, but when we talk now I hear 'cah' and 'bah' instead of car' and 'bar'.

cavemtmomma
08-27-2004, 03:39 PM
I do have my guilty pleasures, the most used one is "pry" instead of probably. But the ones I hate most are "I COULD care less" and one gal on the news that talked about snow on ROOVES instead of roofs. It made me nuts! She gets paid for this. Oh, ok here's another, when people calim to be "nausous" instead of naseated. Nausous is defined as something that makes you sick, so maybe their right, 'cause it makes me sick when I hear that! LOL!

Kyla Kym
08-27-2004, 04:19 PM
I was watching the news from Little Rock AR the other night and the news lady said she could emphasize with someone. Not empathize...emphasize :-)

People here in Harrison will say they did something onest or twicest.

Libby

Do they still have that meteorologist that can't pronounce "ON" correctly? He use to drive me crazy saying "ONING".
(I haven't gotten the local channels in over a decade now.)

We had a teacher that added an "RA" to the end of her words. Like if she said we are going now. It would come out we are'ra going now. And she couldn't say fuel right either, it came out fruel. She also would say Ountie instead of Auntie.

GitchSup
08-27-2004, 04:37 PM
DH and I moved up to Northern MN/WI area from the Minneapolis area and boy what a difference a hundred or so miles will make!! The big thing up here is saying adding plurals where they don't need them, we were invited out to dinner by a friend and she asked "Where would you's two's like to go?" I asked her how many people that would be, she just laughed and said I would get used to it. ;) Still not used to it 11 years later.

justme23
08-27-2004, 09:10 PM
A lot of the stuff yall say is done every day where I live... I guess I never knew some of it was wrong... lol... I had to go and look the caramel one up at Websters website cause I also say it just like it's spelled and they have it pronounced both ways so I don't feel so bad... haha!

My husband (born in CT and lived in Portugal for a while during his high school years) says breafast instead of BreaKfast... it drives me nuts... I don't have proper speech, I am a southerner and I am a creature of the habbits I was raised w/... but THAT is not part of the habbits I grew up w/ so it grates on my nerves... he doesn't like it when I laugh about it tho.

nosamiam
08-27-2004, 09:22 PM
Here in Illinois we have a town named Carbondale. Tell me why does my aunt call it Carpendale???? It drives me crazy!

msmom79
08-27-2004, 10:11 PM
my mothers boo/boo is i need to go to "wal marks" she means to saywal-mart.im telling you,when she says this i cant help but laugh.a few of my daddys words were,pillars for pillows,winders for windows.oh and another one my mom says for the coffee pot,dripalator. cant help but laugh. thanks for sharing this.hugs ann

twinkiesmom
08-27-2004, 11:48 PM
My grandma says "affigans" for afghans. She also says Ky-it for kite. Another one my mom and I laugh about is when she refers to Saginaw, she calls it Sag-no.

Shann
08-27-2004, 11:57 PM
I have to agree! I actually cannot stand when people do not spell or pronounce things properly. If I'm reading something and I see that it's written incorrectly, I will "fix" it while I'm reading it b/c I cannot stand to read it that way. I guess growing up and learning the "proper" way to talk it annoys me when people cannot speak properly. Here's one that a lot of people from where I'm from use: warsher in stead of washer.. UGH! There's NO R in that word! ;)

Donnagg123
08-28-2004, 07:35 AM
The only one that gets on my nerves is "yes-huh". It is yes or okay but not "yes-huh" :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

YNKYH8R
08-28-2004, 02:31 PM
i can't stand it when people type 'puter' instead of computer. LIke you actually have to think about not typing the c-o-m. It is one thing to say it, which also bugs me but another to type it wrong too. :mad:

Unicornmom77
08-28-2004, 04:35 PM
My husband and I are sitting here laughing at this thread. We currently live in Kentucky and he works at a gas station/conveince store so he hears a lot of funny things.... and I say a few and the kids are real bad about a lot of the thngs they say, to name a few....

I have heard here people say "whelps" instead of welts.... like when you get slapped and a raised red mark appears.

My kids and a lot of ppl say "Waa" for "why" its real bad lol

I have always heard "Worsh" for Wash, "Tar" for tire, "Far" for fire, only here in Kentucky though lol I grew up in Kansas and I didnt hear these words hahaha

EVERYONE here calls it "COKE" Even the waitresses ask you "What kind of Coke would you like?" ;)

I have a friend (I wont mention names lmao) from Mississippi and she says she "carrys" people or items instead of "giving them a ride" I.E. I will carry you to the store in my truck later.

My children say "PAN-A-CAKES" :eek: Instead of Pancakes lmao :p

Dh says people come in all the time and ask "War is the chips?" Instead of "Where are the chips?" And you say over there and they say "War?"

None of it bothers me, I don't mind how people type or speak. It just isnt important to me. And I was raised to speak correctly. :p Also I was taught that "A LOT" is ONE WORD, I only type "A LOT" instead of alot becuase people correct me and it gets old lol so I changed how I type it. :D

thedragonlady
08-28-2004, 05:01 PM
I just checked three different dictionaries. ALL THREE listed BOTH "alot" and "a lot". They are both correct.

inparadise
08-28-2004, 06:56 PM
ain't aint' a word...

dixiechicken
08-28-2004, 11:08 PM
I do have my guilty pleasures, the most used one is "pry" instead of probably. But the ones I hate most are "I COULD care less" and one gal on the news that talked about snow on ROOVES instead of roofs. It made me nuts! She gets paid for this. Oh, ok here's another, when people calim to be "nausous" instead of naseated. Nausous is defined as something that makes you sick, so maybe their right, 'cause it makes me sick when I hear that! LOL!

I am a Yooper (from Northern Michigan origianally) and I say rooves. I am highly educated (working on my Masters) and I cannot help it. I like to think that I am intelligent. I say melk instead of milk and bAAgls instead of bagels. My bf says, in the winter, are you going to put on your butts? No you are goung to put on your boots....why say roove? I can't help it and I want to let you all know I am not ignorant. PLUS....I hate ain't, ewes guys, and other unintelligent words......some will never learn!!!!!

twinkiesmom
08-28-2004, 11:22 PM
I just checked three different dictionaries. ALL THREE listed BOTH "alot" and "a lot". They are both correct.
I was also taught that it was 1 word.

The one that bugs me is 'prolly'.
I use this only when typing on the computer. Same w/gonna, hafta, wanna, lol I know it's not correct english, but I know what I'm saying. I'm not out to impress anyone w/my English skills when I'm on the pc, puter or whatever u wanna call it. lol Anyone wants to call the spelling police on me, be my guest. lol But IMO, pc language and the English language are 2 different things.

Ok, i just thought of one. I just absolutely hate it when I see the the apostrophe s used wrong. One that comes to mind is at one of the businesses around here. "Canning Jar's on sale" lol Huh?

Or another one. (and correct me if I'm wrong here) But when I see the word Homemade spelled homade. lol I've also seen it 'ho-made' hmmmm pretty scary. That one even puts a bad picture in my mind.

YankeeMary
08-29-2004, 07:46 AM

WooHoo I knew I was taught alot...

adorkablex
08-29-2004, 10:47 AM
ain't is a word.

proof (http://www.websters-online-dictionary.org/definition/english/ai/ain%2527t.html)

I think my main pet peeve would be people who don't know how to use: there, their, they're. It's not hard to remember. I mean sheesh you were taught this in third grade.

Another thing that annoys me is people who say prolly instead of probably. Or just about anything to where they type something just to save themselves the trouble of typing 2-3 more keys.

YankeeMary
08-29-2004, 10:55 AM
ain't is a word.

proof (http://www.websters-online-dictionary.org/definition/english/ai/ain%2527t.html)

I think my main pet peeve would be people who don't know how to use: there, their, they're. It's not hard to remember. I mean sheesh you were taught this in third grade.

Another thing that annoys me is people who say prolly instead of probably. Or just about anything to where they type something just to save themselves the trouble of typing 2-3 more keys.

But it wasn't always a word...I remember being in school and it wasn't in the dictionary then, that has been changed over the last several years, as well as alot and a lot. I guess the same way they changeways to do math problems, I can't even help my kids with THEIR homework any more. I feel the same as you do about there and their...lol.

freebielover
08-29-2004, 03:23 PM
I hate it when you hear the word like, like 30 times in a sentence! Lol, it drives me up the wall! I don't say my r's im from the north so that is to be expected. Also, my little sister calling bathing suits, "babing soups", its the funniest thing to hear!

buglebe
08-29-2004, 03:44 PM
My husband says samidge for sandwiche. Always has, always will.

buglebe
08-29-2004, 03:45 PM
He also says sideboard for counter top. Go look on the sideboard.

Damnifiknw
08-29-2004, 09:40 PM
I cannot stand the southern dialect..Ya'll, youngin it sounds like they're saying onions, yonder, crick (creek), screet (street), ponyac (Pontiac), soder water (soft drink), Ya'll come back and look at us sometime :eek: There are a million more I can't stand.

I have lived in the south (to long) for a few years, I still can't understand people. When they draw out their words, it drives me batty. Besides drawing out words they talk to slow. Maybe they have allday to say a couple sentences. But, I don't have a lifetime to listen to someone I can't understand to begin with. I just want to hit them on the back to see if it will make them spilt it out quicker. :p

YankeeMary
08-29-2004, 10:04 PM
I cannot stand the southern dialect..Ya'll, youngin it sounds like they're saying onions, yonder, crick (creek), screet (street), ponyac (Pontiac), soder water (soft drink), Ya'll come back and look at us sometime :eek: There are a million more I can't stand.

I have lived in the south (to long) for a few years, I still can't understand people. When they draw out their words, it drives me batty. Besides drawing out words they talk to slow. Maybe they have allday to say a couple sentences. But, I don't have a lifetime to listen to someone I can't understand to begin with. I just want to hit them on the back to see if it will make them spilt it out quicker. :p

Yikes, don't hold it in now..lol...I understand about them not being in a hurry but I, myself, love a southern accent.

UROCgirl
08-29-2004, 10:19 PM
It drives me crazy to listen to people explain something to you and they say umkay? or is it mmmKay? over and over. :rolleyes:

When I went back east no one could understand me at all. They said I talked WAY to fast. I could not understand anyone. I had not heard all the mispronounced words/slang that were mentioned in this post before I was there and I really had no idea what people were saying most of the time. I felt like I was in another country. I thought the same thing "I don't have all day, spit it out!"

llbriteyes
08-30-2004, 04:53 AM
I call it pop, I was taught in school, that alot was one word, and I live in the Southnow and understand completely the adding the R..lol..My dh is from Alabama and there they learn people instead of teach them. Instead of I am going to go fix that light, they say I'm a fixin to go fix that there light. LOL. and my all time favorite is the way they say Light Bulb...is liiiight bub...hehe..I love the southern accent but still have a hard time understanding. Out of all fairness dh makes fun of me saying come on...the way they say it sounds like come own...lol.

Edited to add my sister and mother both (whom live in West Virginia) say worsh their clothes instead of wash. i am gonna go throw my clothes in the worsher..drives me crazy!!! LOL/

My husband, bless his heart, comes from Southern Ohio. Jackson, actually. Even the short distance from there to here is a difference with accent. We call it "Jacksonese." Would someone PLEASE tell me what "PertNert" means????

I understand the West (by God) Virginia stuff. And Kentucky as well. That's where most of my family are from. I have one uncle I can't understand to this day!

Linda

llbriteyes
08-30-2004, 04:57 AM
The one that bugs me is 'prolly'. It took ages to find out that was supposed to be 'probably'. Prolly isn't even a contraction much less a word. My neighbor's three year old says prolly because probably is too big of a word for her, but adults? I crack up over a friend who moved north a few years back. She swore her speech would never change, but when we talk now I hear 'cah' and 'bah' instead of car' and 'bar'.

I see "prolly" all over the internet. It makes me totally nuts when people use short cuts when writing. Like "u2" instead of "you too." We're only talking a FEW extra letters!

Linda

llbriteyes
08-30-2004, 04:59 AM

OMG! I hate that too! If you COULD care less, it means you actually care at least some. lol

When my kids were growing up and they'd say, "I'm nauseous," I would tell them they were making me sick too!

And then there's: there, their and they're... I could write a book!

llbriteyes
08-30-2004, 05:02 AM
My husband (born in CT and lived in Portugal for a while during his high school years) says breafast instead of BreaKfast... it drives me nuts...

I have been married to my darling, wonderful, Jacksonese husband for 20 years now, and I STILL can't wrap my mind around how he says breakfast.

Linda

llbriteyes
08-30-2004, 05:04 AM
The only one that gets on my nerves is "yes-huh". It is yes or okay but not "yes-huh" :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

hehehehe My youngest daughter, who is an English major at Ohio University, and I say that to each other all the time... on purpose. We know its wrong, but its just a mother daughter thing. We would never say it out in public.

Linda

llbriteyes
08-30-2004, 05:20 AM

Which ones did you check? I looked in seven different dictionaries online. I could find reference to "a lot, alot, allot" in only two. Here's what they had to say:

(http://www.business-words.com/dictionary/A_1.html#a_lot) :

a lot many, as in: A lot of people are doing business online today. much, as in: Some people worry a lot about their health.

alot Wait a minute, there is no such word as alot! It should be two words: a lot, if you mean many or much, or allot, if you mean distribute.

allot give out or distribute, as in: We will allot the prizes by date of contest entry.

or

(http://web.uvic.ca/wguide/Pages/UsAlot.html) :

A lot means "a lot": "A lot of pancakes." Note that this is an informal expression.

Allot means "to divide" or "to give out": "They allotted six square feet per family."

Alot means nothing, and therefore is not to be used under any circumstances.

JKATHERINE
08-30-2004, 05:01 PM
and care-a-mel for caramel (car-mel).

It IS Care-a-mel! lol Car-mel??? :)

JKATHERINE
08-30-2004, 05:05 PM

I HATE 'Prolly!' lol

JKATHERINE
08-30-2004, 05:14 PM
My Grandpa says:

"Mundey, Tuesdey, Wednesdey, Thursdey, Fridey, Saturdey & Sundey!" LOL

RobMom
08-31-2004, 07:55 AM
My Grandpa says:

"Mundey, Tuesdey, Wednesdey, Thursdey, Fridey, Saturdey & Sundey!" LOL

My mother says that too! It drives me crazy. And I agree with the op that the diabetes commercial makes me cringe everytime I hear him say, diabetus. My mother also says it that way.

Anthill
08-31-2004, 08:51 AM
I don't know if this is right or not, but it drives me crazy when I hear it.

On NYPD Blue, they always use the word: ANYWAYS.

I don't know what it is about that word but when I hear Sipiwitz (sp) use that word I just want to SCREAM.

LunaChick
08-31-2004, 08:52 AM
I don't know if this is right or not, but it drives me crazy when I hear it.

On NYPD Blue, they always use the word: ANYWAYS.

I don't know what it is about that word but when I hear Sipiwitz (sp) use that word I just want to SCREAM.

LoL

You hear that a lot in Philly. ;)

turbob
08-31-2004, 09:03 AM
Not a mispronounced word, but phrasing - office manager will say "and that affects me, HOW? Drives me nuts

ChristiNate
08-31-2004, 09:26 AM
Would someone PLEASE tell me what "PertNert" means????Linda
My guess would be:

He means Pertinent: : having a clear decisive relevance to the matter in hand or relevant.

JMO ;)

Anthill
08-31-2004, 10:57 AM
LoL

You hear that a lot in Philly. ;)

LOL I live outside of Philly and I have never heard anyone use that except on TV.

babydoll_jen
08-31-2004, 11:24 AM
What about Picksburgh or Pecksburgh instead of Pittsburgh? My Dh says twict instead of twice. My mother has an accent all her own. She pronounces crayon as crown, forl instead of foil, oral insteal of oil. The one that gets me the most is axe (ask). Let me axe you a question. The whole ebonics thing drives me crazy.

moe265
08-31-2004, 11:25 AM
ok mine have to be except and accept. You do not except Paypal you accept it. That about drives me crazy and you see it on Ebay all the time.

andreame70
08-31-2004, 03:46 PM
Arghhh....I might as well add the few that drive me bonkers. My Mother has a habit of saying it is on the "dest" instead of "desk." She knows full well the difference, but she says it incorrectly every time.

Just a few weeks ago, I was in a Radio Shack here in NC. The cashier, who was also the manager, was working alone and did not seem to have a clue as to what he was doing on the register. It may be true that he has the computer knowledge or other skills to work there, but effective communication is definitely not one of his strong points. He kept saying to all of us who were waiting in line "I be sorry for your convenience." He must have repeated this same phrase at least a half dozen times, to each of us in line. I could not believe it. I wanted to tell him just how ignorant it made him sound. How hard is it to say "I am sorry for your inconvenience?"

I have goofed up on occasion, but I certainly try my best not to appear stupid. LOL

LilVlyRed
09-01-2004, 11:02 PM
Great thread! My MIL, bless her heart, adds an "R" to the end of "soda", making it "soder". She also calls it "pop", which I've never gotten used to.

It always makes me giggle when people say "warsh" instead of "wash". My daughter had to ask me which was the proper way to say it, after hearing MIL saying warsh so many times! Daughter herself has a habit of saying "actually" WAY too often (now Iknow how my mother felt when I was a vally girl saying "like" all the time) :-)

What really drives me nuts is when people use "apparently" and "evidently" incorrectly. Maybe that's a little too picky, but it's a peeve with me!

LunaChick
09-02-2004, 07:11 AM
LOL I live outside of Philly and I have never heard anyone use that except on TV.

Go visit South Philly and hang out a bit. ;)

I catch myself saying *anyways* a lot :p My b/f laughs at me because I say *youse* When I was in the south visiting in Jackson, Mississippi before I shot off to CC, Texas people gave me the strangest looks. I couldn't figure it out until some man came up to me and said "You know you talk funny, you must not be from around here" I busted out laughing. People in Texas thought I was from NY. Nearly every place I go people know I'm not from around their parts, lol. :p

LilVlyRed
09-02-2004, 10:43 AM
Go visit South Philly and hang out a bit. ;)

I catch myself saying *anyways* a lot :p

I'd rather hear someone saying "anyways" than saying "anyhoo". :D

adorkablex
09-03-2004, 08:08 AM
OH! While venting to Mom yesterday, I remembered another speech peeve. It grates on my nerves like no other to see a grown person cutesy-ing (SP? Heck not even a word so I don't believe spelling matters) up everything they say. (Sort of as if they were talking to a baby, but there's no baby in sight)
Also irks me when adults talk to children as if their brains are too small to possibly understand normal English.

CHERNL
09-03-2004, 10:40 AM
My guess would be:

He means Pertinent: : having a clear decisive relevance to the matter in hand or relevant.

JMO ;)

Or maybe 'pretty near', as in "The Post Office is PertNert the bank?"

~Roxy~
09-04-2004, 04:54 PM
What about Picksburgh or Pecksburgh instead of Pittsburgh? My Dh says twict instead of twice. My mother has an accent all her own. She pronounces crayon as crown, forl instead of foil, oral insteal of oil. The one that gets me the most is axe (ask). Let me axe you a question. The whole ebonics thing drives me crazy.

Sounds like my mother. :D

llbriteyes
09-05-2004, 09:31 AM
Or maybe 'pretty near', as in "The Post Office is PertNert the bank?"

Its "pretty near," I'm sure. lol After 21 years of marriage, you'd think I'd get it by now. btw... My youngest daughter is in her Junior year of college to become a highschool English teacher. rofl

Linda