PDA

View Full Version : My vent/whine/gripe or whatever about the schools here

Tasha405
08-26-2004, 08:29 AM
We got our sons school supply list the other day. Of course its a mile long and they ask for specific things but at the bottom of the list I see that we have to pay $30 for each child for additional school supplies. What?? I'm sending a little of everything in a store, what else could they need? Then we also have to pay $4 for a lock for a locker. It has to be bought at the school, not from a store.

So not only do we have to buy school clothes because he outgrew everything last year, a back pack to haul everything in, a ton of supplies but we also have to have $34 for them to give to the school. Ugh, I'm so glad I only have 1 child in school right now! :p

I seen in our local newspaper that there have been parents protesting this in town. I guess the $30 additional supply fee is something new for this year.

rlynn411
08-26-2004, 08:43 AM
We just paid $61, (which included a gym uniform and elective class fee )for my 7th grades sons school fees. Supplies have been minimal so far, just a binder,pens,pencils, notebook paper and a scientic calculater. Were told at orintation that each team will have addition supply needs but I don't anticipate the extras being all that bad.

Daughter schools fees will be $30, supplies are the basic along with kleenex, anti bacterial soap, disposable camera, box of zip lock bags and of coarse the usual markers for the teachers.

Within a couple of weeks of them getting back to school it will be picture fees, there goes another $70. Give the school a couple of weeks past that and it will be fund raiser time. And then before we know it we'll being buying teacher gifts for Christmas, then they'll send home letters with the kids to check your kids supplies and see if they need things replaced. Thats about the time they start asking for addition donations for kleenex,cameras etc. Its a vicious cycle that countinues until the end of the school year.

Makes me wonder what the do with tax money....but wait that used for the endless list of over administraters :rolleyes: .

Tasha405
08-26-2004, 08:45 AM
You got it! Its like they are always needing something.

gonnascream
08-26-2004, 09:04 AM
We haven't gotten a list YET, but we have already gotten 2 fundraiser forms. Jeeze I would almost prefer just to fork over money if they expect us to try to talk people into buying 10 buck rolls of wrapping paper......sheesh.....

amysusi
08-26-2004, 09:58 AM
Makes me wonder what the do with tax money....but wait that used for the endless list of over administraters :rolleyes: .

It's a pretty sad thing. I'm glad I don't have to go throught that (it's illegal for them to ask for fees, school supplies, etc here), but on the other hand, our state has the lowest per pupil spending in the nation. Our teachers barely make it (in the 4 years I've lived here, in the news has been the state begging for teachers and them not getting raises to cover cost of living increases). Anything extra for their students comes out of their meager salaries. Thank goodness for Box Tops, Campbell's labels, and all the programs like that.

DivineMsDi
08-26-2004, 10:37 AM
My son's first grade list (he starts Sept 7) is moderate. But like Tasha says, your kids always need new clothes. I don't even buy "The BEST" but it has cost me a lot of money already for 2 pairs of sneakers (you have to switch off and he needs special "wide" ones, no payless specials for us), a few new tshirts (you haven't any idea if it will be 90 degrees that first week or 50), and some other clothes. He still needs some sweats and could use more pants and shirts.

The first week they will also tell us what $$$ we need to send it (can't wait). And, of course, the fund raisers which get CHUCKED in the garbage. I don't feel an inch of guilt about that. The school photos and so on will also be trickling in...

As for money, our taxes are among the highest in the country, and this is how they fund the schools. The teachers make good money here, and that is why you cannot find a teaching job in the suburbs.

Yes, it is our childrens' education, but maybe they could do it a bit more simply. Do they REALLY need all these things RIGHT away?

YankeeMary
08-26-2004, 10:40 AM
It's a pretty sad thing. I'm glad I don't have to go throught that (it's illegal for them to ask for fees, school supplies, etc here), but on the other hand, our state has the lowest per pupil spending in the nation. Our teachers barely make it (in the 4 years I've lived here, in the news has been the state begging for teachers and them not getting raises to cover cost of living increases). Anything extra for their students comes out of their meager salaries. Thank goodness for Box Tops, Campbell's labels, and all the programs like that.

In a lower scaled school system (where teachers aren't paid much) I can see having to bring in more out of kindness, not out of demand. But I do agree with Divine do they all need to be brought in at once? Why not a bit at a time or something?

TX_Cowgirl
08-27-2004, 04:42 AM
i did for a few years sent the xtra stuff but then one year i had sent it and it should have been enough for my son for the whole year...and it wasnt they wanted more...well i asked the teacher what happened with the stuff i had sent and she told me that when kids needed it they used it or if a kid moved in and didnt have some of the things they used them for them...which would have been fine if that would have been explained to us at the first of the year...then i just got to where i would send with the boys what they had to have and then when they needed more i would just go and buy it and send it with them...and on somethings they are requesting them to have if they want it to be mandatory then i think the school should pay for the items...
Like this year my son has geometry and the teacher wants them to have a geometer..not sure what it is..and neither are the ppl at all the stores i have been to to get one...and they have to have it to day..........boy things change so much every year....let us know how it goes with this....