PDA

View Full Version : Another school whine!

treasurymae
08-22-2004, 03:39 PM
My daughter comes home from school the other day talking about how they are no longer allowed to have sweets at school . Cake, candy, coke , etc. Ok i already new they took out the coke and candy machines last yr. But now the caffeteria isnt even allowed to serve them a sweet desert. OK i have no problem with my child eating healthy. At home they do not get very many sweets and are only allowed one coke a day. I told DD that this is good she dosent need alot of sweets and that her sweet could be the snack i send her for the day. Then she tells me ohh no mom we have a list of what we can and cant have for snacks. ok i must admit this kinda ticked me off i mean i dont think they should be able to tell me what i can and cant send with my child .. ( unless it was something unreasonable ) But i'm talking maybe sending her to school with a twinkie , or dingdong. But now it has to be off the list which is like 5 things long. i cant remember maybe 6.. i was mad and threw it away.
it had like Pretzels, fruit, veggie sticks, crackers, peanut butter sandwich, i think thats it. But i told DD this is ok you still have variety. then i get further down in the letter.. They are only allowed to have 3 partys a yr. which they have decided on Christmas, valentines day, and end of yr party. ok no problem . Hum they are celebrating V-day so what am i supposed to buy to put with kids valentines, maybe some carrots? Also no kids bday partys at school anymore. Does it seem to anyone else that they are just making school horribly boring . I mean what do the children have to look forward to? Not only did they already take away games like dodge ball, musical chairs and duck duck goose but now bday parties too. I remember when scool used to be fun and i looked forward to it. but now i see no reason for my children to look forward to it. I know its not about having fun but you have to give little kids time to play and stuff to enjoy so they dont get bored .

one more whine in the notes about classroom rules. The children we are talking about 3rd graders are not allowed to go to the rest room more than twice during class time(unless they have a note saying they have some kind of condition) ok this is where i draw the line. My husband was furious. He told our DD that if she has went twice and still needs to go and the teacher says no just to get up and go. She said no dad because if i get up and go then i will get marks against my name .. He told her not to worry about the marks because if she got them he would talk to her teacher about it.
Both of us know that some kids like to just go to the bathroom and play but Some really do have to go alot . I dont think you should be able to but a limit on how many times a child can go to rest room . When my hubby was in gradeschool it had to use restroom and his teacher just kept telling him no when he couldnt hold it anymore it wet himself and all the kids in the class made fun of him. Neither one of us want this to happen to one of our children .

I just think that in some things the school system has gone to far and i just need to get it out. I havent said anything to the teacher about the b-room rule yet but if it causes a probably i might have to buy some rope to hold hubby back.

no need to reply just letting off some steam TIA

YankeeMary
08-22-2004, 04:27 PM
*******The children we are talking about 3rd graders are not allowed to go to the rest room more than twice during class time(unless they have a note saying they have some kind of condition) ok this is where i draw the line.

Hmmm the teachers are allowed to go out of the room any time they want to and leave the kids unattended. Good luck!!!

Tasha405
08-22-2004, 04:33 PM
Oh I would be mad too, especially with the bathroom situation. My 3 yr old (almost 4) goes 10 times a day if not more it seems like. I mean, if the kids drink stuff for breakfast and lunch and then water breaks during the day... they are going to need to go more often. I think I would be setting up a meeting to talk with someone about that.

I think the snack thing is crazy too. Why can't you send your kid whatever snack you want? Don't get me wrong.. I know some kids are allergic to different things but that snack is for your kid!! Why can't they eat their snack in front of the teacher to make sure no one shares with someone who might be allergic to it.

I was LOL at the carrots for Valentines Day!! :D Well, what else could you bring since they can't have sweets, right??

YankeeMary
08-22-2004, 04:40 PM
Oh I would be mad too, especially with the bathroom situation. My 3 yr old (almost 4) goes 10 times a day if not more it seems like. I mean, if the kids drink stuff for breakfast and lunch and then water breaks during the day... they are going to need to go more often. I think I would be setting up a meeting to talk with someone about that.

I think the snack thing is crazy too. Why can't you send your kid whatever snack you want? Don't get me wrong.. I know some kids are allergic to different things but that snack is for your kid!! Why can't they eat their snack in front of the teacher to make sure no one shares with someone who might be allergic to it.

I was LOL at the carrots for Valentines Day!! :D Well, what else could you bring since they can't have sweets, right??

I forgot to post this earlier..about the snacks, they always say that at the begininng of the year about healthy snacks...after a month or so everyone starts bringing what they want. But the funny thing is, is that the teacher has a can of coke on her desk...lol.

Pass the carrots...

Tasha405
08-22-2004, 05:09 PM
the teacher has a can of coke on her desk...lol.
Oh that used to make me so mad. We were never allowed to have cokes until later in Jr. High.

treasurymae
08-22-2004, 05:30 PM
ya i think the bathroom thing is what bothers me the most. I mean they allow the kids to keep sports bottles at there desks of course it says that only water is allowed in them but still water runs through anyone fast. Depending on the size of the sports bottle my daughter can drink alot within the day.

the other allowed snack i forgot was dry cereal. my kids will eat some cereal dry but all be darn if i'm gonna send sugar free dry cereal to school my daughter would starve before she would touch it and i cant blame her. I bought her some of her favorite and thats what i'm gonna send .

gonnascream
08-22-2004, 05:39 PM
my parents use to tell me the same thing. if you got to go to the bathroom and the teacher says no, just leave the class. We had a kid onetime where out teacher told him he couldn't go, and he started peeing in the potted plant in the corner. told her he knew he had to pee, he wasn't a robot.

queenangie
08-22-2004, 08:28 PM
One time I sent a baggie of cereal for the AM snack, I'm thinking it was Cheerios, for DS#1. It was the day I needed to get groceries while the boys were in school.
The Cheerios were not for lunch, but for an AM snack.
He had a carton of milk allready paid for for AM snack.
DS#1 was having hot lunch that day.

I got a note saying that I should send more 'nutritious' snacks. :+(

farren
08-22-2004, 09:10 PM
When my daughter was in third grade, her teacher would eat candy bars, bags of chips and drink soda in front of the kids all day long. This did not sit well with my daughter. lol It was a bit much for me as well.

MsLynn
08-22-2004, 09:41 PM
good grief, my kids school provides all the snacks. I love their new school

Tasha405
08-23-2004, 06:46 AM
When my daughter was in third grade, her teacher would eat candy bars, bags of chips and drink soda in front of the kids all day long. This did not sit well with my daughter. lol It was a bit much for me as well.
Thats how some of my teachers were too. Oh I would be mad when I got home. lol

Tasha405
08-23-2004, 06:47 AM
my parents use to tell me the same thing. if you got to go to the bathroom and the teacher says no, just leave the class. We had a kid onetime where out teacher told him he couldn't go, and he started peeing in the potted plant in the corner. told her he knew he had to pee, he wasn't a robot.
My cousin done the same thing in our class once except he used the trash can!! He kept telling the teacher he had to go but she wouldn't let him so he went anyway.

Freebeemom
08-23-2004, 07:37 AM
*****I think the snack thing is crazy too. Why can't you send your kid whatever snack you want? Don't get me wrong.. I know some kids are allergic to different things but that snack is for your kid!! Why can't they eat their snack in front of the teacher to make sure no one shares with someone who might be allergic to it.****

Personally, I don't have a problem with it. I think it is sad how obese people are getting. Perhaps the school feels like it has to take a stand in how children are raised, AGAIN. I don't send my kids with the most HEALTHY snacks every day, but I do send them snacks according to what they finish at lunch during the previous day. If my son finishes his "Snack" part only, and not his sandwich, then he doesn't get a "fun" snack the next day. It's that simple.

I also know that schools are cutting things like Gym and Recess. I do not agree with this at all. Why not monitor what kids are eating during snacks? It has been proven that if you eat healtiher things, then your brain functions better.

Sadly, many people don't watch what their kids eat. I personally think this is an epidemic. This may not be true for your child, but it is happening!!

schsa
08-23-2004, 07:57 AM
I understand the snack thing mainly because of the kids who have allergies to everything from milk to wheat. Peanut allergies especially. It keeps the kids from trading. After all trading carrots for pretzels isn't such a big deal. Trading for a ding dong is.

But potty breaks!! The note goes to school with my kid that says she can go to the bathroom whenever she feels the need. Twice a day?? I don't think so. :mad:

momfromTN
08-23-2004, 12:39 PM
ya i think the bathroom thing is what bothers me the most. I mean they allow the kids to keep sports bottles at there desks of course it says that only water is allowed in them but still water runs through anyone fast. Depending on the size of the sports bottle my daughter can drink alot within the day.

the other allowed snack i forgot was dry cereal. my kids will eat some cereal dry but all be darn if i'm gonna send sugar free dry cereal to school my daughter would starve before she would touch it and i cant blame her. I bought her some of her favorite and thats what i'm gonna send .

Not to gripe at you, but exactly WHY would students need a drink at their desk? We never had that. Our teacher might have a cup of coffee but we didn't have bottles of water at our desk. We got a drink from the fountain during bathroom breaks.

momfromTN
08-23-2004, 12:46 PM
I understand the snack thing mainly because of the kids who have allergies to everything from milk to wheat. Peanut allergies especially. It keeps the kids from trading. After all trading carrots for pretzels isn't such a big deal. Trading for a ding dong is.

But potty breaks!! The note goes to school with my kid that says she can go to the bathroom whenever she feels the need. Twice a day?? I don't think so. :mad:

I realize peanut allergies are serious, but that needs to be monitored by the parents. The child needs to be taught not to trade food, that doing so will make him/her sick. If the child is not capable of doing what he is told, then perhaps the parents should homeschool or the child needs to be isolated during lunch for his own protection. I don't mean that to be harsh, as I do sympathize with parents who have to deal with this. But, I don't think everyone else should have to go without because of one student. JMHO. Dp we abolish lunch altogether because a student is a diabetic? There are LOTS of things that will make a diabetic ill, not just sweets.

The bathroom thing, I will never understand. I had a teacher who would refuse to allow us to go pee too. I got a UTI from this and my mother about went nuts. It never happened again. What IS the deal with teachers who do that? Especially if the child has a medical problem, or has been ill. Control freaks? Sadistic maybe? Hmmmmm.

freebielover
08-23-2004, 12:58 PM
I think its so wrong to limit children to what they can take for snack. I mean, today some kids are overweight, and it is a problem, but cutting down on snacks in school probably isn't going to help anything. Also, I knew some kids that wet themselves in front of the class when I was in school because teachers were too harsh with bathroom breaks. Guess what? As americans we should at least have the right to PEE!

Tasha405
08-23-2004, 12:59 PM
I understand that some kids are obese but I'm sure that one little snack at school didn't make them that way. What about the pizza, cereal, pop tarts and all the other foods the schools feed the kids? I just don't think my child should have to go without a snack he likes because another kid in class is obese or has an allergic reaction to certain foods. JMO.

LuvBigRip
08-23-2004, 01:07 PM
I don't know. When I was in elementary school, we were never allowed snacks. We had lunch at school, but I don't recall a snack break. I also remember having to ask to go to the restroom, and excessive breaks were frowned upon. Parents didn't throw their hands up and say not my child, the rules were the rules. I think too many parents nowadays think their kids are above the rules, or think the rules are unfair. The schools are only doing what they HAVE to do anymore because of the apathy of too many parents that will throw a twinkie and a coke in a bag and call it lunch. Unfortunately, too many parents have relegated their responsibilities to the schools, and the schools are only reacting to what has become a sad commentary on parents. While I am sure the majority of parents here would not dream of sending junk food for a snack, there are a few who think nothing of how it can disrupt a system the school needs to have in place to protect themselves. Someone said that parents need to monitor food allergies at home, and kids should be taught not to trade food. Personally, I find that unreallistic. Kids do stuff all the time that they are told not to. Not only that, you know that the first time a child had an allergic reaction to such an event, some parent would sue the school for not properly monitoring little Johnny while in their care. JMHO flame away.

YNKYH8R
08-23-2004, 01:21 PM
I don't agree with the bathroom situation, but the snack thing kind of ify.

It really depends on who you are. I wouldn't have a problem sending my kid to school with friut or crackers. I don't eat ding-dongs, twinkies or any of that stuff anyway. :rolleyes:

I grew up going to school without snack, or soda dispensers. (Sheesh there was only seven kids, including myself in the 3rd grade.) :eek:

I understand your frustration, not wanting to be told want you can and can not feed your kids, but they spend more hours in school than at home, so they should try to get the nutrition and excersice they need to stay healthy. :)

I just wish we had recess at work. You don't know how much I would love to challenge my boss to dodge ball. :D

mom 2 CL & CJ
08-23-2004, 01:52 PM
I don't post often...however, felt the need to respond to this thread.

As for the bathroom breaks....we faced this last year with my 1st grader. He ended up with major constipation, because of holding it too long. He is a good kid. The teacher had no clue that he had to go. He did not tell her, because he knew it was frowned upon to leave to use the bathroom.

BUT....to look at it from a teachers point of view...they have 17-20 kids in most classrooms....if each child uses the bathroom once during class time each day...and it takes 4 minutes, that adds up to 68-80 minutes a day. That is a lot of class time. They have 2 recesses and one lunch period that are all long enough to use the restroom during. That gives them 3 opportunities a day ... each time spaced approximately 1.5-2 hours apart. If they go before school, at the recess period they have before class starts, they surely shouldn't have to use the restroom 2 additional times during the day on top of the recess/lunch times (unless there is a medical issue). Why should they be allowed to take away from class time, if they don't want to use some of their recess time to use the restroom?

As for the water at their desks...they have done studies that show that the normal person is slightly dehydrated. Our bodies and minds work better if we are hydrated....theory being...if the kids have the water in front of them on their desk, they will drink it, and will be more capable of better work.

The snack issue....LOL...sending out a list is a bit overboard, but.....I went and had lunch with my boys today. You would not believe the things I saw come out of lunch boxes. Note: this is K-3 grades, in a school where everyone has to bring a lunch from home...no cafeteria Lots of sodas, Lots of lunchables complete with soda and candy bar *not that lunchables are bad but...(candy bar and soda consumed first), ding dongs, twinkies, zingers, candy bars, KING size candy bars, very few sandwiches. Mostly just junk foods. I was amazed.

Just my opinion......

Freebeemom
08-23-2004, 02:25 PM
I don't know. When I was in elementary school, we were never allowed snacks. We had lunch at school, but I don't recall a snack break. I also remember having to ask to go to the restroom, and excessive breaks were frowned upon. Parents didn't throw their hands up and say not my child, the rules were the rules. I think too many parents nowadays think their kids are above the rules, or think the rules are unfair. The schools are only doing what they HAVE to do anymore because of the apathy of too many parents that will throw a twinkie and a coke in a bag and call it lunch. Unfortunately, too many parents have relegated their responsibilities to the schools, and the schools are only reacting to what has become a sad commentary on parents. While I am sure the majority of parents here would not dream of sending junk food for a snack, there are a few who think nothing of how it can disrupt a system the school needs to have in place to protect themselves. Someone said that parents need to monitor food allergies at home, and kids should be taught not to trade food. Personally, I find that unreallistic. Kids do stuff all the time that they are told not to. Not only that, you know that the first time a child had an allergic reaction to such an event, some parent would sue the school for not properly monitoring little Johnny while in their care. JMHO flame away.

No flaming from me...I T A!!!

The list is sent out because I think you would be very surprised at how many people don't know what a healthy snack is. Some send them with chips instead of cheeze puffs...( that don't even contain real cheese)....I think it is trying to set a healthy example for kids.

Our elementary school has hot lunch once a week...sure, sometimes it is taco bell, but others it is soups and sandwiches or subway. At least cheese pizza has a vegie in it!! Plus, that is ONCE a week...not every day. I just think people need to take ownership of their own lack of responsibility for their children and the health problems that are occuring with children these days. Sorry, but if that means only allowing healthy snacks...for the HEALTH of some of these kids, I hope they enforce it!!

LitWtch
08-23-2004, 02:28 PM
I don't post often...however, felt the need to respond to this thread.

As for the bathroom breaks....we faced this last year with my 1st grader. He ended up with major constipation, because of holding it too long. He is a good kid. The teacher had no clue that he had to go. He did not tell her, because he knew it was frowned upon to leave to use the bathroom.

BUT....to look at it from a teachers point of view...they have 17-20 kids in most classrooms....if each child uses the bathroom once during class time each day...and it takes 4 minutes, that adds up to 68-80 minutes a day. That is a lot of class time. They have 2 recesses and one lunch period that are all long enough to use the restroom during. That gives them 3 opportunities a day ... each time spaced approximately 1.5-2 hours apart. If they go before school, at the recess period they have before class starts, they surely shouldn't have to use the restroom 2 additional times during the day on top of the recess/lunch times (unless there is a medical issue). Why should they be allowed to take away from class time, if they don't want to use some of their recess time to use the restroom?

As for the water at their desks...they have done studies that show that the normal person is slightly dehydrated. Our bodies and minds work better if we are hydrated....theory being...if the kids have the water in front of them on their desk, they will drink it, and will be more capable of better work.

The snack issue....LOL...sending out a list is a bit overboard, but.....I went and had lunch with my boys today. You would not believe the things I saw come out of lunch boxes. Note: this is K-3 grades, in a school where everyone has to bring a lunch from home...no cafeteria Lots of sodas, Lots of lunchables complete with soda and candy bar *not that lunchables are bad but...(candy bar and soda consumed first), ding dongs, twinkies, zingers, candy bars, KING size candy bars, very few sandwiches. Mostly just junk foods. I was amazed.

Just my opinion......
Good to see that someboby sees the rational behind all that is being vented about regarding the schools. Our kids are limited, but it si during the time they are in their classroom - they have additional time during the "special period" each day, during recess, and during lunch period. Can anyone see the "wave" effect - one child goes, then their friend must, then their other friend.... it is to limit disruptions so that ALL the children can learn, but there are exceptions to all the rules.
Snacks - has anybody been in the classroom and REALY seen WHY they are limited?? Let's also insert a reminder that the schools are not obligated to permit a snack period...
But anyhow, back to seeing what is brought. I can sit and see COUNTLESS tubes of Pringles - not the single serve type, the whole tube. Full bags of microwve popcorn, and the student asks the teacher to pop it for them (yeah, right!), Full size candy bars, the list is incredible. Why? because most parents "remind" the child to pack a snack, and this is what they bring, and the parent is oblivious. If it is brought to their attention, they respond either with a little giggle, and say kids will be kids, or a very indignant "That's none of your business what my kid eats". Perhaps it is not, but there are twenty in the class, and if one brings it, they ALL do. Yep, full size lunchables for a snack.
Just MY opinion, but perhaps there would be LESS complaining, if parents were more concientious. NOTE: I am NOT insinuating in any way that the OP is not a concientious parent. Pleae refrain from flaming, or commenting on the misspelled words, new glasses are on the way...

Tasha405
08-23-2004, 04:02 PM
It's not any of their business what I feed my kid. As long as its nothing to poison them or make them sick. If I want to give my kid a snack cake for snack I should be able to. If I want to send fruit, peanuts, chips or whatever I should be able to. I understand that our kids are in school most of the day but yall are forgetting one important factor... THESE ARE OUR KIDS!! I should have a say so over what he/she eats and drinks. They have a ban on soda, fine, I won't send any. I don't give my kids soda much anyway but then to tell me what snacks my kid can or can't have just really pushes it a little. Its not like I would send a whole box of cakes to school but if my kid wants a cake for snack, thats fine with me. If he wants a little lunchable, let him have it, why not? What does that hurt? I just don't get it.

The bathroom situation still shocks me too. I mean, that can cause an infection like someone else mentioned. Is the school going to pay the doctor bill for every kid that happens to get an infection by having to hold it because they had already had their 2 restroom breaks? What if a kid has diarrhea??? What are they supposed to do if they have to go more than twice? I know kids can go into a bathroom and play and take advantage of it like that but not all kids do so why punish everyone? JMHO

And yes I care for my child just as well as any other person on here. Just because I don't agree with everyone on everything makes me no less of a parent.

momfromTN
08-24-2004, 04:47 AM

I wouldn't flame you at all. :) In fact, I totally agree with you the way parents are nowadays and the way the schools have to respond. Totally agree. My parents didn't whine about how this or that is unfair, they kept score for games~none of this being afraid of hurting self-esteem stuff, we didn't have drinks at our desks or snacks during the day~we ate at LUNCH time, etc. Our world was NOT foam-padded like it is now. Honestly, I fear for our future because kids are so protected and in some cases, coddled and not allowed to be kids. I have a SIL who won't allow her kids outside alone at ages 8 and 10, in their fenced-in yard. I can see not allowing a toddler or small child outside alone, but 8 and 10? Sheesh! Her kids are also very overweight. Sad.

The peanut allergy thing I commented about, about parents monitoring it, might be a little unrealistic. But why shouldn't my child be able to have PB&J just because someone else's child is allergic? If it were my kid, I would not expect the whole school to change for my kid.

momfromTN
08-24-2004, 05:01 AM
Good to see that someboby sees the rational behind all that is being vented about regarding the schools. Our kids are limited, but it si during the time they are in their classroom - they have additional time during the "special period" each day, during recess, and during lunch period. Can anyone see the "wave" effect - one child goes, then their friend must, then their other friend.... it is to limit disruptions so that ALL the children can learn, but there are exceptions to all the rules.
Snacks - has anybody been in the classroom and REALY seen WHY they are limited?? Let's also insert a reminder that the schools are not obligated to permit a snack period...
But anyhow, back to seeing what is brought. I can sit and see COUNTLESS tubes of Pringles - not the single serve type, the whole tube. Full bags of microwve popcorn, and the student asks the teacher to pop it for them (yeah, right!), Full size candy bars, the list is incredible. Why? because most parents "remind" the child to pack a snack, and this is what they bring, and the parent is oblivious. If it is brought to their attention, they respond either with a little giggle, and say kids will be kids, or a very indignant "That's none of your business what my kid eats". Perhaps it is not, but there are twenty in the class, and if one brings it, they ALL do. Yep, full size lunchables for a snack.
Just MY opinion, but perhaps there would be LESS complaining, if parents were more concientious. NOTE: I am NOT insinuating in any way that the OP is not a concientious parent. Pleae refrain from flaming, or commenting on the misspelled words, new glasses are on the way...

I agree here too, that the time is limited. But there has to be a better way than denying some kid the bathroom and he wets his pants. As far as lunch or snacks, I can see them not allowing soda pop. Chips or a small candy bar, maybe. But I also cannot see a parent allowing a lunch consisting totally of convenience foods and sweets as a rule. My son this morning took a PB&J (no rules about peanuts here), a small thermos of yogurt, a banana and a regular thermos with orange juice. Sometimes I will pack Cheerios in place of chips~he LOVES that. Now every once in awhile I will pack a cookie or small amount of chips, or even a Koolaid Pack or Lunchable. It just isn't an everyday thing.

LitWtch
08-24-2004, 06:50 AM
There are exceptions to the rules - especially for those who are in need of the exception. Personally, being a parent AND working with in the schools, I would quietly approach the teacher and explain why the child should have exceptions made, and I know the teacher would discreetly make the exception.
Now the snack thing, I know it seems like the school is trying to "control" the upbringing of the children. However, the note is sent home to ALL guardians, and is merely a strong suggestion. I personally see nothing wrong with a Little Debbies cake, or a Twinkie. These are really not the items the school is against - it is the child who brings what is intended to be a full lunch, like the FULL size Lunchables, and usually ends up having to throw half of it away, as there is not enough time to finish it, and it will spoil while in the backpack to go home. The FULL size Pringles can - come on! The school is not discouraging chips or cakes, but is trying to keep it realistic and reasonable.
MomfromTN, there is nothing wrong with the lunch you packed, though an outsider may think it is convenience foods, there is more nutrition there than in the carb loaded garbage the schools call "lunch"! Plus, you know your child will eat it.
Again, what I am saying is the the school's are only trying to keep things reasonable. I got similar letters from my kids schools when they were younger - I thought I was a horrible parent for allowing mine to take cheese and crackers or a cereal bar instead of fruit - but that is what mine liked. After talking to the teacher privately, I found that what I sent was what most of the kids brought (even though it wasn't listed), and that the letter was only trying to discourage excessive amounts of sugar/salt or junk foods.

YNKYH8R
08-24-2004, 09:07 AM
I just wanted to say thank you for starting this thread. It will be a number of years before our daughter starts school and it is good to have an idea what we have to possibly expect in the future.

mimi37
08-24-2004, 10:21 PM
Not to gripe at you, but exactly WHY would students need a drink at their desk? We never had that.

Where we lived before, a lot of the teachers made it mandatory during the hot months that the kids bring water bottles to put on their desks. The school did not have air conditioning and the school could become very hot. Several times when I visited the school, I noticed how hot it was as soon as I walked in.

treasurymae
08-25-2004, 05:54 AM
Originally Posted by momfromTN
Not to gripe at you, but exactly WHY would students need a drink at their desk? We never had that.

Because they do not want the children to get dehydrated , and if they have something to drink at their desk then they dont have to take time away from class to go to the water fountain several times a day.

LIke i said earlier, my kids dont get much junk food i hardly buy any , and as for cokes they are allowed one a day. mainly they eat fruit as a snack. i think the only real bad thing i allow them to have is Cereal and thats not often.

I didnt really think about parents sending a whole can of pringles or just snack food for a childs lunch . I guess because thats something i wouldnt do . I cant control what other parents put in their kids lunch but i can and should be allowed to control what my child eats .

As for the list of suitable snack foods. the letter did not say this is a suggestion or here are some good healthy snack ideas. It Said This is What is Allowed as a snack. Then it said this is what is not Allowed.

As for the if each kid has to use the bathroom and it takes 4 min twice daily for each kid then that takes away 80 min a day. Well then in my opinion thats what it takes. The teacher dosent have to just stop and wait that long not every child has to go at the same time. Who are we or anyone to say how many times anyone can use the restroom.

Like i said before i know some kids go to just play but i dont think all the children should be punished for one childs actions.

Now that being said this is the way I feel others may feel different as it is their right everyone has different opinions. Its America so shouldnt our kids be allowed to use the restroom whenever needed, eat whatever their parents send as a snack. Even though some of us may not agree with what the parents send. They are the childs parent, we can suggest a healthier alternative but in the end they are the parent.

Willow
08-25-2004, 07:48 AM
During the last half of the school year my son brought home a letter stating that the kids that brought in healthy snacks would get extra points to spend at what they called store. It's at the end of the week where the kids get to pick something from a box. Each thing is worth so many points and the more points you had the better the prize was. Anyway they had the kids make up a list of healthy snacks. One of the things on the list was green beans. Yeah green beans are healthy but who the heck is actually going to bring green beans to school as a snack. lol The kids were still allowed to eat whatever the parents sent but the ones that brought healthy snacks got the extra points and the ones that brought sweets didn't get any points. I used to wonder why gym is a mandatory class but I heard it's because the schools feel that for some kids it's the only time they get any exercise. I guess it's just something else that the schools are trying to have control over instead of letting the parents do the parenting. Some teachers want to medicate kids instead of dealing with the hyperness but they want to be able to decide what the kids eat and when they exercise.

LitWtch
08-25-2004, 08:54 AM
GREEN BEANS?????? :eek: :D

There was one child in one of my classes that always brought a big kosher pickle! He loved them though, and who were we to complain! :p

LuvBigRip
08-25-2004, 09:02 AM
I think what alot of parents are missing, is that these are the rules. Plain and simple. America, with all of it's freedoms is built on the rules of law. If you are at your job, and the rules state that you cannot do something, you are expected to follow the rules. While at school, children are expected to follow the rules and must do so by the example of their parents. What are we teaching our children if we teach them that only specific rules are to be followed because we don't like them? There are ways to contest the rules, attend PTA and board meetings, express your opinions and try to make change through the proper channels. I know that it seems unfair that as a good parent, you are forced to abide by rules that are set in place by the actions of bad parents; that your children are forced to make sacrifices due to the irresponsibility of others. But that is the way our system works, the minority rules the majority on many issues. The majority of people are law abiding people, but must follow rules that exist because of the unlawful minority. The majority of people believe in a higher power in one form or another, but any reference to a God is being forced out of public life due to a small percentage of people who this offends. Halloween, steeped in the history of Paganism is being forced out because a small minority of the Religious Right is afraid. This is the true America. JMHO

inparadise
08-25-2004, 09:52 AM
My son's teacher said she is a real pill when it comes to snacks (he is in kindergarten) and they are only allowed to have raw fruits and raw vegetables cut up and then water. I sent my son a sliced apple, graham crackers, and two slices of cheese and water. Hope I didn't send anything wrong LOL. She said if she sees a fruit roll-up or something else that isn't healthy then she will take it away and send it home.

edited to add: I do agree though with the teacher because I'm sure parents send crap with their kids and I would've sent healthy things with him anyway but I think that if I want to send something other than raw fruit and raw vegetables I should be able to.

1tiredmom
08-25-2004, 10:52 AM
I wouldn't flame you at all. :) In fact, I totally agree with you the way parents are nowadays and the way the schools have to respond. Totally agree. My parents didn't whine about how this or that is unfair, they kept score for games~none of this being afraid of hurting self-esteem stuff, we didn't have drinks at our desks or snacks during the day~we ate at LUNCH time, etc. Our world was NOT foam-padded like it is now. Honestly, I fear for our future because kids are so protected and in some cases, coddled and not allowed to be kids. I have a SIL who won't allow her kids outside alone at ages 8 and 10, in their fenced-in yard. I can see not allowing a toddler or small child outside alone, but 8 and 10? Sheesh! Her kids are also very overweight. Sad.

The peanut allergy thing I commented about, about parents monitoring it, might be a little unrealistic. But why shouldn't my child be able to have PB&J just because someone else's child is allergic? If it were my kid, I would not expect the whole school to change for my kid.

I agree with you and the other bbs 'r that you quoted-personally i wish the snack bar and coke s wouldn't be sold at all--maybe this would encourage the kids to select better choices-when the school asks me to try to help- i try-but nobody is helping nobody; when the parents catch an attitude that they can't tell me what & what not to feed/send with my kids & to make matters worse they don't have pe after the ninth grade in the majority of public schools-eating all those empty calaories then no pe to work something off -would love to know what happened to the kennedy physical fitness program that we Had to take and do :confused: :eek: and what i would do for uniforms!!

YankeeMary
08-25-2004, 11:55 AM
I think what alot of parents are missing, is that these are the rules. Plain and simple. America, with all of it's freedoms is built on the rules of law. If you are at your job, and the rules state that you cannot do something, you are expected to follow the rules. While at school, children are expected to follow the rules and must do so by the example of their parents. What are we teaching our children if we teach them that only specific rules are to be followed because we don't like them? There are ways to contest the rules, attend PTA and board meetings, express your opinions and try to make change through the proper channels. I know that it seems unfair that as a good parent, you are forced to abide by rules that are set in place by the actions of bad parents; that your children are forced to make sacrifices due to the irresponsibility of others. But that is the way our system works, the minority rules the majority on many issues. The majority of people are law abiding people, but must follow rules that exist because of the unlawful minority. The majority of people believe in a higher power in one form or another, but any reference to a God is being forced out of public life due to a small percentage of people who this offends. Halloween, steeped in the history of Paganism is being forced out because a small minority of the Religious Right is afraid. This is the true America. JMHO

Granted we all face rules daily, but the thing is, if you don't like a "rule" you petition to change it etc...You also mentioned majority rules...whats the majority? The teachers? I think not, I would think Parents are the majority since there are many more parents then teachers. I think its a shame regardless of your age that someone dictates to you, not only what you must purchase but what you must eat? The cold hearted reality is that everyone else is deciding what, when, and where I can raise my children. I buy the groceries, if I choose to send my son a snickers bar then so be it. With all the problems that a teacher must face on a daily basis I would think this would be the furthest thing from their mind. The have it calculated exactly how many minutes it will take out of a day to go to the bathroom, well the way I figure since they know that kids have to potty, they would try to work this in to their schedule kinda like the way the decide a whole school year and include snow days. I think it would take way less time to let little "Johnny" go potty then the amount of time it would take for him to pee his pants, stop class, clean urine up off the floor, settle the laughing children down, have "little Johnny" go to the office call mommy/daddy to take time off work, take him home to shower, return him to school, not to mention, the time he will spend in therapy because he is tortured on a daily basis. Kids are cruel this we know. It will take him years and years to get over it, if he ever does. I have a simple solution to everything. Let the teachers teach and let the parents do the parenting, really kind of simple.

Willow
08-25-2004, 12:06 PM
Granted we all face rules daily, but the thing is, if you don't like a "rule" you petition to change it etc...You also mentioned majority rules...whats the majority? The teachers? I think not, I would think Parents are the majority since there are many more parents then teachers. I think its a shame regardless of your age that someone dictates to you, not only what you must purchase but what you must eat? The cold hearted reality is that everyone else is deciding what, when, and where I can raise my children. I buy the groceries, if I choose to send my son a snickers bar then so be it. With all the problems that a teacher must face on a daily basis I would think this would be the furthest thing from their mind. The have it calculated exactly how many minutes it will take out of a day to go to the bathroom, well the way I figure since they know that kids have to potty, they would try to work this in to their schedule kinda like the way the decide a whole school year and include snow days. I think it would take way less time to let little "Johnny" go potty then the amount of time it would take for him to pee his pants, stop class, clean urine up off the floor, settle the laughing children down, have "little Johnny" go to the office call mommy/daddy to take time off work, take him home to shower, return him to school, not to mention, the time he will spend in therapy because he is tortured on a daily basis. Kids are cruel this we know. It will take him years and years to get over it, if he ever does. I have a simple solution to everything. Let the teachers teach and let the parents do the parenting, really kind of simple.

Ver well said YankeeMary!!!!!!!!!!

LuvBigRip
08-25-2004, 12:08 PM
Actually, I said the minority, not the majority rules in many cases. I also mentioned proper channels to change the rules. I am sure the teachers would love to be teachers. The problem, however, remains the parents who refuse to be parents. As for the little Johnny and the toilet issue, I agree that teachers need to look at the student and determine what is best. If the child has a medical issue, I can see letting him/her go. If it is a one-time thing, ok. The problem arrises when it is the same student(s) who continually do not take advantage of the breaks afforded them with recess and lunch, and disrupt the class with the need to leave during class-time. It also brings up the issue of a child (and I am looking at elementary) wandering outside of class unattended which can lead to any number of problems.

YankeeMary
08-25-2004, 12:09 PM
Thank you...

Tasha405
08-26-2004, 08:22 AM
Granted we all face rules daily, but the thing is, if you don't like a "rule" you petition to change it etc...You also mentioned majority rules...whats the majority? The teachers? I think not, I would think Parents are the majority since there are many more parents then teachers. I think its a shame regardless of your age that someone dictates to you, not only what you must purchase but what you must eat? The cold hearted reality is that everyone else is deciding what, when, and where I can raise my children. I buy the groceries, if I choose to send my son a snickers bar then so be it. With all the problems that a teacher must face on a daily basis I would think this would be the furthest thing from their mind. The have it calculated exactly how many minutes it will take out of a day to go to the bathroom, well the way I figure since they know that kids have to potty, they would try to work this in to their schedule kinda like the way the decide a whole school year and include snow days. I think it would take way less time to let little "Johnny" go potty then the amount of time it would take for him to pee his pants, stop class, clean urine up off the floor, settle the laughing children down, have "little Johnny" go to the office call mommy/daddy to take time off work, take him home to shower, return him to school, not to mention, the time he will spend in therapy because he is tortured on a daily basis. Kids are cruel this we know. It will take him years and years to get over it, if he ever does. I have a simple solution to everything. Let the teachers teach and let the parents do the parenting, really kind of simple.ITA!!

Here's a thought... if a school has a bathroom with multiple stalls why not set aside a few minutes several times a day to let the kids go potty. I mean, they set aside 4 minutes every hour or so (or at least they did when I was in school) for the Jr. high kids to change classes and go potty, so why can't they set aside this time for the kids in elementary to go potty?

YankeeMary
08-26-2004, 09:30 AM
Actually, I said the minority, not the majority rules in many cases. I also mentioned proper channels to change the rules. I am sure the teachers would love to be teachers. The problem, however, remains the parents who refuse to be parents. As for the little Johnny and the toilet issue, I agree that teachers need to look at the student and determine what is best. If the child has a medical issue, I can see letting him/her go. If it is a one-time thing, ok. The problem arrises when it is the same student(s) who continually do not take advantage of the breaks afforded them with recess and lunch, and disrupt the class with the need to leave during class-time. It also brings up the issue of a child (and I am looking at elementary) wandering outside of class unattended which can lead to any number of problems.

My bad in regards to minority/majority, I am sorry for this. I do have to disagree with the going to the restroom at a certain time because its offered. When we travel we always say potty before now cause we aren't stopping. It never fails 30 minutes into the trip, I am wanting to stop and go..lol...you might have to go after the break, see what I mean, if you just simply have to pee, that doesn't constitute a medical condition, but holding it in can create a medical condition. And I do understand that there are many many parents our there that don't parent or don't parent the same as others would like, but it shouldn't affect the way I parent my child. If its a serious problem then the teachers should address that child and its parents. I do agree that there will be certain kids that will abuse being able to go to the restroom, but then again that teacher should address that child not the entire class. Just so that you know, my oldest when he was in 1st grade had a teacher that refused restroom breaks. It cost me about $300.00 going to the doctor, getting a script for kidney infection, which the teacher didn't have to pay for. The thing is is my son had a medical condition and it wasn't known at the time, it was brought on by this teachers stupidity. The doctor said he didn't know if it would cause lasting problems or not, thank you to the wonderful teacher that helped cause this. The worse part is, is that I don't think there is anyone in my family that hasn't had a kidney problem, like cancer runs in some families kidney troubles run in ours. I would love for that teacher to have my son now. I promise he WOULD go with or without her permission, and I would back him 100%.

Tasha405
08-26-2004, 11:12 AM
My bad in regards to minority/majority, I am sorry for this. I do have to disagree with the going to the restroom at a certain time because its offered. When we travel we always say potty before now cause we aren't stopping. It never fails 30 minutes into the trip, I am wanting to stop and go..lol...you might have to go after the break, see what I mean, if you just simply have to pee, that doesn't constitute a medical condition, but holding it in can create a medical condition. And I do understand that there are many many parents our there that don't parent or don't parent the same as others would like, but it shouldn't affect the way I parent my child. If its a serious problem then the teachers should address that child and its parents. I do agree that there will be certain kids that will abuse being able to go to the restroom, but then again that teacher should address that child not the entire class. Just so that you know, my oldest when he was in 1st grade had a teacher that refused restroom breaks. It cost me about $300.00 going to the doctor, getting a script for kidney infection, which the teacher didn't have to pay for. The thing is is my son had a medical condition and it wasn't known at the time, it was brought on by this teachers stupidity. The doctor said he didn't know if it would cause lasting problems or not, thank you to the wonderful teacher that helped cause this. The worse part is, is that I don't think there is anyone in my family that hasn't had a kidney problem, like cancer runs in some families kidney troubles run in ours. I would love for that teacher to have my son now. I promise he WOULD go with or without her permission, and I would back him 100%.
Kidney trouble runs on my family too. My moms dad had to have a kidney transplant and later died of kidney disease/failure/cancer. My mom has had many kidney infections and has also had stones. I was told about 3 years ago that my kidneys are deformed. Mine are not shaped like a normal kidney and the doctor was surprised that I haven't had problems yet. What if my kids happen to have some type of problem with theirs and like your son... its not brought on until something like this takes place. Is the school going to cover doctor/hospital cost?? I think not.

I just think this potty break thing is a really bad idea for many different reasons.

LuvBigRip
08-26-2004, 11:15 AM
I see where you are coming from YankeeMary, and I understand your point of view. I just know that we think along the lines of a rationale person, and when a teacher is forced to deal with parents (and students) that are irrationale they have to take a hard line. I just know that when you have one or two kids in a classroom that are constantly asking to be excused, it disrupts the flow of the class, and in turn the education. If the child needs to go, and it isn't a daily occurance (excluding medical conditions) an exception should be made. I know where I grew up in Southern California, all the elementary schools (K-3 grades) had bathrooms in the classroom. They connected between two classes, which allowed the student to go without leaving the safety of the classroom.

Tasha405
08-26-2004, 11:19 AM
had bathrooms in the classroom. They connected between two classes, which allowed the student to go without leaving the safety of the classroom.
Thats how ours were too. We had the restrooms like that from 1st to 6th grade.

mimi37
08-26-2004, 08:06 PM
My kids started school today. My son who is in 8th grade said that they are issued a pass every 6 weeks. This pass is good for 16 trips to the bathroom. The teacher marks off on the pass everytime it is used. The only other time they can go to the bathroom is during the 3 minutes between classes. Not always easy to do if your next class is at the opposite end of the school and the halls are congested. 6 weeks times 5 days a week equals 30 days. My son asked if he was only allowed to go to the bathrrom every other day or if he should use his 16 days all in a row and not go the second half of the 6 weeks. Like others have said here, if the kids don't have medical problems now, they certainly will if they are not permitted to go to the bathroom when they have to.

YNKYH8R
08-27-2004, 09:15 AM
My kids started school today. My son who is in 8th grade said that they are issued a pass every 6 weeks. This pass is good for 16 trips to the bathroom. The teacher marks off on the pass everytime it is used. The only other time they can go to the bathroom is during the 3 minutes between classes. Not always easy to do if your next class is at the opposite end of the school and the halls are congested. 6 weeks times 5 days a week equals 30 days. My son asked if he was only allowed to go to the bathrrom every other day or if he should use his 16 days all in a row and not go the second half of the 6 weeks. Like others have said here, if the kids don't have medical problems now, they certainly will if they are not permitted to go to the bathroom when they have to.

Passes? What ever happened to if you went to the bathroom and missed some class then it was your responsabilty to catch up? :confused: I mean, are we supposed to just stop class and wait for Bob to come back from the bathroom? :confused: It's teaching proper time management. K-5 is adifferent story, but that is where it begins. The teacher told us, go to the bathroom during recess, before school and between subjects so you don't miss anything. ;)

Am I right or did I put my foot in my mouth? :confused:

mimi37
08-27-2004, 09:40 AM
I just don't think limiting a child to only going to the bathroom 16 times in 6 weeks is reasonable. My son leaves the house around 8:00 to catch his bus. School is over at 3:15. You can not always get to the bathroom in the 3 minutes between classes. I know if any of us here went to work and were told we could only go to the bathroom 16 times in 6 weeks, we would probably throw a major fit. You can not expect someone to wait all day to go to the bathroom. Especially after lunch.

Willow
08-27-2004, 10:20 AM
I have never known anyone who can control when they feel the urge to go to the bathroom. What if the kids don't have to go at the designated times. That is not something they have control over. It's just ridiculous to try and set up specific times and make it so that those are the only times the kids are allowed to use the bathroom.

YNKYH8R
08-30-2004, 05:57 AM
I have never known anyone who can control when they feel the urge to go to the bathroom. What if the kids don't have to go at the designated times. That is not something they have control over. It's just ridiculous to try and set up specific times and make it so that those are the only times the kids are allowed to use the bathroom.

I'm not sure if this was directed at me, but I was only mentioning what was expected of us as students before sixth grade. If one subject takes half and hour and recess is 20 min. long, and don't forget lunch period, then there are plenty of opertunities to use the bathroom. The water at the desk idea is great for large classes.

And, actually, since you mentioned it, prisoners who spend more than eight years in prison generally get used to going to the bathroom at specific times of the day because their lives are so regimented. (Just thought I'd through that out.)

pae1968
08-30-2004, 06:08 AM
I can remember vividly, when I was in kindergarten, I had to go to the bathroom really bad. My teacher wouldn't let me and told me I had to wait, till it was break time. So I sat there and waited. Well it was break time, and the whole class ran to the bathroom, which I ended up being like in the middle of the line, so I ended up going in my pants. I stayed the rest of the day, sitting in it. and I remember being in the cloak room, getting ready to go home, and the teacher asked us what that smell was,I just kept quiet and went home, my gramma was furious when I got home, when I told her what happened, I don't know if my parents ever did anything about it, but I was really embarrassed, Hopefully none of my kids have to go thru it, ever. cuz the teacher will get a visit from me.

Willow
08-30-2004, 06:09 AM
I'm not sure if this was directed at me, but I was only mentioning what was expected of us as students before sixth grade. If one subject takes half and hour and recess is 20 min. long, and don't forget lunch period, then there are plenty of opertunities to use the bathroom. The water at the desk idea is great for large classes.

And, actually, since you mentioned it, prisoners who spend more than eight years in prison generally get used to going to the bathroom at specific times of the day because their lives are so regimented. (Just thought I'd through that out.)

No, it wasn't directed at you. I was just making a general statement. :)

momfromTN
08-30-2004, 08:09 AM
Halloween, steeped in the history of Paganism is being forced out because a small minority of the Religious Right is afraid. This is the true America. JMHO

You had me until this part. My point is that Halloween is considered a religious holiday by some religions, if I am correct. So, if we have kick everything out in reference to Jesus, then they should abolish Halloween, because some religions celebrate it as a religious holiday, or holy day. If you are going kick out one religion, then ALL of them have to go.

YNKYH8R
08-30-2004, 09:22 AM
You had me until this part. My point is that Halloween is considered a religious holiday by some religions, if I am correct. So, if we have kick everything out in reference to Jesus, then they should abolish Halloween, because some religions celebrate it as a religious holiday, or holy day. If you are going kick out one religion, then ALL of them have to go.

I agree with your statement slightly. Halloween may be considered a religious holiday by some people, it is not actually recognized as an actual religion. Paganism is but I don't know if Halloween is an actual pagan holiday.

Halloween, for whatever religion is supposed to promote, is not as influential as Christianity. The majorities of people that recognize it, go trick or treating, and then forget about it.
Unlike Christianity which is represented through Christmas and Easter, and weekly gatherings. So it is a matter of influence over the masses. So which is more influential Jesus or Halloween?

Willow
08-30-2004, 09:31 AM
I agree with your statement slightly. Halloween may be considered a religious holiday by some people, it is not actually recognized as an actual religion. Paganism is but I don't know if Halloween is an actual pagan holiday.

Halloween, for whatever religion is supposed to promote, is not as influential as Christianity. The majorities of people that recognize it, go trick or treating, and then forget about it.
Unlike Christianity which is represented through Christmas and Easter, and weekly gatherings. So it is a matter of influence over the masses. So which is more influential Jesus or Halloween?

Samhain (pronounced sowen) is the Pagan holiday. It's actually what we consider our New Year. Most holidays are rooted in Paganism though.

momfromTN
08-30-2004, 10:32 AM

I was told by a Wiccan that Halloween is considered a religious holiday. Unless she was mistaken. Wicca is an official religion in the US now. So, I don't care who is more influential, if you cannot have one holiday or reference to one religion, then you cannot have Halloween either. You cannot tell one group they cannot do one thing, but it is ok for another simply because one might be more influential.

momfromTN
08-30-2004, 10:37 AM
Samhain (pronounced sowen) is the Pagan holiday. It's actually what we consider our New Year. Most holidays are rooted in Paganism though.

Paganism is also considered a religion. So, Halloween, or Samhain is a religious holiday and should be banned from being celebrated in the public schools since people want to have the separation of church and state pushed so badly.

BTW, people, I am not against other religions or their holidays. I just get tired of hearing how you cannot even speak of God or Jesus in the public school, yet in CA, Islam was taught, and Halloween, a holiday celebrated by certain religions, is able to be celebrated in the public schools. The discrimination against Christianity is staggering and so unfair. Yet people think it is ok. I shake my head in wonder. If you don't want church and state to mix, it should apply to ALL religions, not just Christianity. JMO.

Sorry to crap in the thread. But, this is an important thing to me.

Willow
08-30-2004, 10:39 AM
Paganism is also considered a religion. So, Halloween, or Samhain is a religious holiday and should be banned from being celebrated in the public schools since people want to have the separation of church and state pushed so badly.

BTW, people, I am not against other religions or their holidays. I just get tired of hearing how you cannot even speak of God or Jesus in the public school, yet in CA, Islam was taught, and Halloween, a holiday celebrated by certain religions, is able to be celebrated in the public schools. The discrimination against Christianity is staggering and so unfair. Yet people think it is ok. I shake my head in wonder. If you don't want church and state to mix, it should apply to ALL religions, not just Christianity. JMO.

Sorry to crap in the thread. But, this is an important thing to me.

Yes, I know. I am Pagan. ;)

momfromTN
08-30-2004, 10:46 AM
Yes, I know. I am Pagan. ;)

No! REEEEEAAAALLLY????
:eek: :D

Willow
08-30-2004, 10:48 AM
No! REEEEEAAAALLLY????
:eek: :D

:p :D

YNKYH8R
08-30-2004, 11:02 AM
I was told by a Wiccan that Halloween is considered a religious holiday. Unless she was mistaken. Wicca is an official religion in the US now. So, I don't care who is more influential, if you cannot have one holiday or reference to one religion, then you cannot have Halloween either. You cannot tell one group they cannot do one thing, but it is ok for another simply because one might be more influential.

Wow, I was not aware. :)

But if this is true, then why didn't I get Halloween off all those years in school? I'm just being cute. :D

IMO religous values should be taught at home. Are we to expect our teachers to get their masters in religous doctrine? A religous class I can understand, to discuss differences, and historical relavence to society, but not religous doctrine to go hand in hand with reading, writing, and arithmetic.

I never understood the big push to bring religon into schools in the first place. :confused: :)

YankeeMary
08-30-2004, 11:29 AM
I can remember vividly, when I was in kindergarten, I had to go to the bathroom really bad. My teacher wouldn't let me and told me I had to wait, till it was break time. So I sat there and waited. Well it was break time, and the whole class ran to the bathroom, which I ended up being like in the middle of the line, so I ended up going in my pants. I stayed the rest of the day, sitting in it. and I remember being in the cloak room, getting ready to go home, and the teacher asked us what that smell was,I just kept quiet and went home, my gramma was furious when I got home, when I told her what happened, I don't know if my parents ever did anything about it, but I was really embarrassed, Hopefully none of my kids have to go thru it, ever. cuz the teacher will get a visit from me.

I am so sorry, how horrible for you to suffer such a thing. This is just what I was talking about in one of my earlier posts, so not fair.

YankeeMary
08-30-2004, 11:38 AM
Wow, I was not aware. :)

But if this is true, then why didn't I get Halloween off all those years in school? I'm just being cute. :D

IMO religous values should be taught at home. Are we to expect our teachers to get their masters in religous doctrine? A religous class I can understand, to discuss differences, and historical relavence to society, but not religous doctrine to go hand in hand with reading, writing, and arithmetic.

I never understood the big push to bring religon into schools in the first place. :confused: :)

I agree. I am a Christian (and proud) but I do not want religion taught in school. I think if my sons want to pray at any time, then they should be allowed but I don't want some off the wall teacher teaching my children about religion. If Jesus can't go to school then I agree with momfromtn, then no religions go to school. Thats equality right? I don't want other religions pushed on my children nor do I want to push my religion on to them. I want my kids to go to school to be educated in other things not religion, we have home and church for that.

inparadise
08-30-2004, 12:16 PM
I sent with my son to school a snack that included: 4 ritz crackers, 1 piece of deli chicken lunchmeat, 2 skinny pickle spears, and a slice of cheese. The teacher sent everything home except the pickles. I tried talking to the teacher but she totally blew me off. I also wet myself in kindergarten because the teacher would not let me go. It has affected me so much that I constantly worried about that happening to my son way before he ever started school. They have a bathroom inside his kindergarten class so that eases my worries but if something ever did happen I would be right down there at the principal's office.

Tasha405
08-30-2004, 12:39 PM
I sent with my son to school a snack that included: 4 ritz crackers, 1 piece of deli chicken lunchmeat, 2 skinny pickle spears, and a slice of cheese. The teacher sent everything home except the pickles.
Are you serious?? What was wrong with crackers, meat and chesse?