PDA

View Full Version : New Pepsi and Dew products to arrive for the holidays

rlynn411
08-20-2004, 12:56 PM
Just read this online and thought I would share.

http://phx.corporate-ir.net/phoenix.zhtml?c=78265&p=IROL-NewsText&t=Regular&id=601159&

Pepsi-Cola North America Unveils Two Limited-Time Offerings: 'Mountain Dew Pitch Black' and 'Pepsi Holiday Spice'

PURCHASE, N.Y. - August 5, 2004 - Capitalizing on the success of its first limited-time soft-drink offering, Mountain Dew LiveWire, Pepsi-Cola North America today announced that it will launch two new soft drinks this year for brief, "in-and-out" plays. The first, Mountain Dew Pitch Black, will launch in late August and stay on store shelves through Halloween. Then, just in time for the holidays, Pepsi Holiday Spice will hit stores November 1 for an eight-week appearance through the end of the year.

Both products come at a time when consumers are seeking variety. More than half of all soft-drink buyers purchase six or more different brands and more than 80% of soft-drink buyers purchase three or more brands.

Don't Be Afraid of the Dark

Mountain Dew Pitch Black combines the great taste of Mountain Dew with a blast of black grape flavor. It follows in the footsteps of Mountain Dew LiveWire, which grew the Mountain Dew trademark more than 10% during its inaugural six-month run in 2003. Building on that successful strategy, Mountain Dew Pitch Black will capitalize on excitement leading up to Halloween with a shorter, 10-week on-shelf stretch beginning August 21.

In addition to Mountain Dew Pitch Black's spooky package graphics and in-store displays, a theatre commercial - parodying "B" horror movies - will support the new brand in 4,000 movie theatres. Additional marketing support includes an Internet "Dewsletter" and product sampling at General Growth Properties malls and at this week's ESPN X Games in Los Angeles. Mountain Dew Pitch Black will be available in 20-oz bottles, 2-liter bottles and 12-packs of 12-ounce cans.

Spice up the Holidays

Just in time for the holidays, Pepsi will launch Pepsi Holiday Spice - Pepsi-Cola with a spicy finish of ginger and cinnamon - to give consumers a new seasonal treat during a time of celebration. Testing revealed that the spice concept fits with Pepsi's image as "new," "different," and "innovative," while the flavors have a strong connection with cola. Featuring nostalgic package graphics, Pepsi Holiday Spice will be available in the U.S. for an eight-week period (November 1 - December 31) in 20-ounce bottles, 2-liter bottles and 12-packs of 12-ounce cans.

"People like new products - they're much more interested in variety nowadays than they were just a few years ago," said Dave Burwick, SVP and chief marketing officer of Pepsi-Cola North America. "By introducing new flavors for a short period of time, then taking them away, we're meeting the wants and needs of soft-drink consumers while playing directly to their purchasing patterns."

Purchase, N.Y.-based Pepsi-Cola North America (www.pepsi.com) is the $4 billion refreshment beverage unit of PepsiCo Inc. in the United States and Canada. Its U.S. brands include Pepsi, Diet Pepsi, Pepsi Edge, Pepsi ONE, Wild Cherry Pepsi, Pepsi Twist, Pepsi Vanilla, Mountain Dew, Mountain Dew Code Red, Mountain Dew LiveWire, Sierra Mist, Mug, Slice, Aquafina, Dole single-serve juices, Tropicana Juice Drinks and SoBe. The company also makes and markets North America's best-selling ready-to-drink iced teas and coffees, respectively, via joint ventures with Lipton and Starbucks.

Not a fan of grape myself but maybe kids will like it. Must say the Pepsi one just sound gross. Wish the would keep the Live Wire out year round in our area.

Urban Cowgirl
08-20-2004, 01:07 PM
I have already had the Pitch Black....I like it ok....its not my new favorite or anything, but it is a nice change. :D

Willow
08-20-2004, 01:45 PM
The Pepsi Holiday Spice sounds interesting. I hope the offer it in diet as well as regular. lol

tsquared
08-20-2004, 05:51 PM
Pitch Black is just a glorified grape juice.............nothing special

nanajoanie
08-20-2004, 06:43 PM
None of my kids or kidlettes or me either liked the Mt. Dew Pitch Black and most of them drink Mt. Dew. I was a tester for the Ptich Black. But the Pepsi - ginger/cinnamon sounds yummy for the adults but I don't think the younger ones would drink it.

lisarae
08-20-2004, 07:37 PM
I dont think I'll try the pepsi, Im not a pepsi drinker, but the dew sounds good.

Has anyone had the Baja Blast Mt Dew from Taco Bell? I lOVE it.

ahippiechic
08-20-2004, 08:05 PM
You can get the new Dew now. Well, here in Phoenix, anyway. I'm not sure if I'll like the new Pepsi, but I guess I'll try it when it gets here.