PDA

View Full Version : I'm Watching "Iron Chef" and have a question...

Airbuswife
08-17-2004, 08:29 PM
I'm watching Iron Chef, my daughter and I's favorite show, and tonight the secret ingredient is Cod Roe. What the heck is that????? I cook alot, and also am very creative with cooking and baking, but have never heard of that! i'm assuming it's some kind of cod, that is native to them.

Thanks for helping if you can! :)

nanajoanie
08-17-2004, 08:31 PM
Cod is a type of mild whitefish from cold fresh waters. And Roe is always fish eggs. If it's from a sturgeon. sometimes it's called caviar.

Airbuswife
08-17-2004, 08:35 PM
It sure doesnt LOOK like caviar!! It's like a whole piece of fish! I looked it up on different websites, and it's a whole fish. I thought that's what it was too, until he unvieled it, and it almost looked like salmon tenders.... :confused:

nanajoanie
08-17-2004, 08:42 PM
I might be mistaken but many seafood fast food places serve cod because it's not as expensive. At least that's what they serve at Long John Silver's. As for roe, the eggs can be anywhere from white, cream, yellow, brownish, pinkish. If it was salmon, the roe is pinkish. I'm originally from MI many years ago and eat this fish often. I wouldn't even try the roe, ewwww...That's all I know about cod. What I see flash frozen in the grocery store is also very white.

LuvBigRip
08-17-2004, 09:41 PM
Roe is the term for female fish eggs (hard roe) or the milt of male fish (soft roe). Most fish roe is edible. Some popular roes come from sturgeon, carp, herring, mackerel, lumpfish, perch, salmon, and whitefish. Roe can be found fresh, frozen, and canned. Fresh roe should have a clean smell and look moist and firm. Salting roe turns it into caviar.

delSol
08-18-2004, 07:07 AM
they use it on Fear Factor as gross stuff they make people eat...

Merriam-Webster Online Dictionary

4 entries found for roe.
To select an entry, click on it.
roe[1,noun]roe[2,noun]Richard Roeroe deer

Main Entry: 2roe
Function: noun
Etymology: Middle English roof, roughe, row; akin to Old Norse hrogn roe and probably to Lithuanian kurkulai frog's eggs
1 : the eggs of a fish especially when still enclosed in the ovarian membrane
2 : the eggs or ovaries of an invertebrate (as the coral of a lobster)

CHERNL
08-18-2004, 09:53 AM
Those on the show were salt preserved, according to Hattori. But yes, they are egg sacs. I've seen them use the soft roe a lot too, and THAT one grosses me out. Glad to know there are other Iron Chef fans on the board!

thedragonlady
08-18-2004, 04:53 PM
I never miss it even though it doesn't come on until 11:00 p.m.

DaLilPeachy
08-18-2004, 05:17 PM
our lobsters had roe in them the other night - it looked like little carrot pieces and um well... ew