PDA

View Full Version : What did you do with your photos of those significant others?

mesue
08-16-2004, 09:47 AM
I am just about 1/3 of my way toward organizing things around here it is one of those projects that without any help and no energy is taking forever been working twoard this for months now anyway I have finally gotten to the point that I am now starting to get the photos organized and just suddenly realized that I have lots of photos of my daughters with ex boyfriends and ex-fiance's and 1 ex-husband, my problem what to do with them do I tuck them away in an album that I'll have to hide in my underwear drawer LOL or what. I doubt my SIL's will appreciate the photos not to mention explaning these photos to my grandchildren as they get a little older, right now they are very young as teens they will just be so what but as children they might be concerned about it. Anyone else have this problem and what did you do?

buttrfli
08-16-2004, 09:59 AM
Lets see...

One ex I have the pics tucked away because he is the sperm donor of my son, and I thought eventually my son would like to have them.

I only have one pic of my last ex (12 years ago) and DH actually came across it the other day... I was going to toss it and he wouldn't let me because the girl who introduced DH and I is also in the pic.

AND in my late teens I dated a musician who was on tour with Skid Row and Metallica (gawd I am showing my age!) and I kept all the pics from the tour (I went too) just because they were a great memory of the tour, not my ex :)

The rest of them I never cared enough to take a pic of them let alone keep any if I did LOL

mesue
08-16-2004, 10:19 AM
Lets see...

One ex I have the pics tucked away because he is the sperm donor of my son, and I thought eventually my son would like to have them.

I only have one pic of my last ex (12 years ago) and DH actually came across it the other day... I was going to toss it and he wouldn't let me because the girl who introduced DH and I is also in the pic.

AND in my late teens I dated a musician who was on tour with Skid Row and Metallica (gawd I am showing my age!) and I kept all the pics from the tour (I went too) just because they were a great memory of the tour, not my ex :)

The rest of them I never cared enough to take a pic of them let alone keep any if I did LOL

Well the problem is that these are not pictures of me with an ex, there would be no problem in tossing them these are pictures of my children with their ex's, high school photos with old boyfriends and fiance's, my daughter on her wedding day to ex, those kinds of photos.

buttrfli
08-16-2004, 10:22 AM
Well the problem is that these are not pictures of me with an ex, there would be no problem in tossing them these are pictures of my children with their ex's, high school photos with old boyfriends and fiance's, my daughter on her wedding day to ex, those kinds of photos.

oooo I should pay more attention when reading LOL

What does your daughter want to do with them?

nanajoanie
08-16-2004, 10:31 AM
I would pack them away. Someday the kids will want them. Trust me. I already gave most of the picks of my kids with the ex to the kids. But I did keep a couple for me that were favorites. When he came from the west coast he met Tice and it was so weird. They were like old buddies to hear them talk and laugh. Strange. We are casual friends now but I never dreamed we would ever be civil in the same room. But that changed when Mur had to go do Desert Storm stuff. We put our differences behind us and made peace. You never know what might be the trigger to make you want to see an old photo. What if they died in tragic accident and you didn't have any photo of their existance. JMO. Oh my goodness I'm rambling. Sorry.

Dolly<3
08-17-2004, 10:10 AM
I would ask them if they want them and let them go through them before you decide because they might want to keep them or at least see them before destroying them. If you want to keep them you could cut out all the boys and use what's left to make a collage of your girls or something.

I keep pictures and things from the past in a suitcase until they don't mean anything anymore. I go through once in a while and throw out things that either I don't remember what they were from, or I just don't feel anything when I see. :)

kriskay
08-17-2004, 06:52 PM
I would keep them. My parents have pictures stored away that have my ex boyfriends, or exhusband in them. I am glad they have them because I lost all my old pictures moving. My kids have seen pics and they just ask who that is, and I say Bob, or whoever it is, an old boyfriend. They just say oh and move on.

stresseater
08-17-2004, 09:19 PM
Well let's see my grandma cut DH#1 out of all the pics. :) Gotta love grandma :D :D I personally would add them in. Everyone he was with before DIL are steps that led him to her and if she ever asked about it that's what I would tell her. :) Of course I still have all of my pictures from the past even DH#1 and he was an abuser. All of it got me here. ;) ;) :D

fatesfaery
08-17-2004, 09:33 PM
I wanted to throw my wedding pics with my ex away. My mom took them and kept them in case DS wanted them when he grew up. DS never wanted them, but my mom still has them. I suppose I'll tell her to hang onto them in case Ian or Kayleigh wants them when they get older. That's the only way they'll ever know what their biological grandfather(or anyone in his family) looks like.

My dad and my grandfather kept pics and newspaper clippings of girls they dated.... I guess my nanny and my mom didn't have issues with it.
My mom still has pics of my dad, my dad still has pics of my mom. My grandfather kept a pic of my mom on a table in the living room until he died.....by then my parents had been divorced over 10 years......he even listed her in his will as his daughter.

twinkiesmom
08-17-2004, 09:48 PM
I wouldn't get rid of old pics. Unless they bring back hard memories. I've got pics of my first ex in a bottom drawer in an old dresser my dd is using. When the kids were 3, they got into that bottom drawer and had all the pics dumped on the floor. LOL My dd picked one up and sez, 'here's a picture of daddy!' :eek: It was not a pic of daddy, it was the ex! :eek: :eek: (dh and the ex are both thin w/blonde hair) But I wouldn't part w/my pics.

mesue
08-18-2004, 12:17 AM
I think I will go thorugh them and put them in an album all their own and tuck it away in my underwear drawer if their husbands ever say they saw those pics their going to have some explaining to do. LOL

msmom79
08-18-2004, 12:24 AM
i say tuck them away and let grandkids see them when their old enough.jmo

mrsswede
08-18-2004, 01:16 AM
I have a hard time throwing any pictures away. I'm saving all the pictures of my ex for my 18 year old son. Right now he doesn't care about them one way or another, but I'm sure he will years from now.

I gave all the pictures of my 1st husband & his family to my two older boys to do whatever they want with them. They were happy to get them.

This question reminded me of a song so I thought I'd post the lyrics.

Back of the Bottom Drawer
by Chely Wright

Album : Everything! (Chely.Com Special EP)

In the back of the bottom drawer
Of the dresser by our bed
Is a box of odds and ends
That I have always kept
But the man who sleeps beside me
Doesn't know it's even there
Little pieces of my past
That I shouldn't have to share

A napkin that is stained with time
Has a poem on it that didn't quite rhyme
But it made me cry
And a Dear Jane letter from a different guy
He broke up with me and told me
I'm not always right
And a stolen key from on old hotel room door

I dont keep these things
'Cause I'm longin' to go back
I keep them because I wanna stay right where I'm at
I'm reminded of my rights and wrongs
I dont wanna mess this up
But I wouldn't know where I belong
Without this box of stuff

A birthday card from my first boyfriend
He signed it I love you so I gave in
Yea we went too far in his daddy's car
And those mardi gras beads from '98
We danced all night stayed out so late
We thought we were stars
Closin' down the bars
That champaign was cheap
But still I got that cork

I'm not tryin' to hide these things
From the man I love today
But I'm a better woman for him
Thanks to my yesterdays
So now I try to give more than I take
And I bite my tongue fight the urge to say
It's my way or no way at all
And now I cherish love a whole lot more
'Cause of what's in the back of the bottom drawer

Quaker_Parrots
08-18-2004, 03:26 AM
I would keep them. My mom kept pics of my ex sister in law& brothers wedding. His new(current) wife always went balistic when she saw them, thought mom should throw them away.(she never knew the womon, who also happened to be the mother of one of mom's grand children)

Lora_1994
08-18-2004, 07:10 AM
The only pics I have of any ex's are my 2 oldest boys' dad. And the ONLY reason I have those are because he passed away when they were 4y/o and 5months old. Other than that, I threw ALL of my old pics away. Hubby held on to his for a couple of years until I got tired of them being here, ex wife, and several ex g/f's and told him if he didnt do something about it I was. I felt like he was holding on to his past and missed it and it really bothered me. Especially since I got rid of all of mine out of respect for him.