PDA

View Full Version : Help I think someone is trying to poison my little dog!!!

LindaL.
08-13-2004, 08:17 AM
OMG I'm so flaming mad right now. My dog buddy keeps bringing bones inside like for the last 4 days and I couldn't figure out where they are coming from since I don't give him any. Well I had to go to work late yesterday so I left him outside in the backyard (fenced and locked) and came home to him laying down not looking too good- found another bone near him.

I called the vet and he told me to smell it but i couldn't smell anything weird about the bone. And to watch him to make sure he doesn't get worse!!

MY question to you is what do you think they are using? Why wouldn't my dog smell that something was off? He is usually very pickey which makes me worry even more.

PLEASE HELP!!!

I've already called the humane society but they said I had to have more proof in order for them to do something.

nanajoanie
08-13-2004, 08:30 AM
I'd take the bone and my dog to the vet. They can do a blood test and somehow check the bone for any trace of chemicals. I have a friend that built a 6 foot high solid wood fence to keep his dogs safely in the backyard. WHY??? Because when he had the chain link fence, somone sprayed mace in one dog's eyes and nearly blinded him. He thinks he knows who did it but without proof, nothing can be done.

Angel Lips
08-13-2004, 08:40 AM
God why are people so cruel to animals...ugh i hope you can find something out about what is going on.

lassss
08-13-2004, 08:43 AM
Is it possible that he ate part of the bone and that is making him sick or is the bone intact? I would notify the police and keep your dog inside

buttrfli
08-13-2004, 08:57 AM
Goper bait is used to kill dogs.. I know this from experience :(

One of our neighbors killed 2 of my dogs growing up. Only thing about gopher bait is that you will know if the dog has eaten it... I'm not going into details, but you WILL know within an hour or 2.

I was 12, home alone and watched my dogs die form this.... still very upsetting :(

janelle
08-13-2004, 11:30 AM
buttrfli---you should have called the police. I know you didn't know what to do since you were young but someone harmed your property--your pet--same as vandaism in my book, check with the police on this.

Bones in your yard could be any thing---from a neighbor who is "sharing" with your dog their left over dinner not knowing bones are a no no with animals unless they are big beef bones for the bigger dogs, to someone who really wants to harm your dog. You will need to do some sluething to find out what is happening. Search your yard before putting your dog out.

You could take the bone to be examined to see if it is dangerous but first a litle investigation on your part may solve the whole thing. If a neighbor is sharing ,tell them not to do it since your dog can't digest bones and not to give any food to your dog since you do not want your dog eating from anyone except you. Too much meaness going on

buttrfli
08-13-2004, 11:41 AM
buttrfli---you should have called the police. I know you didn't know what to do since you were young but someone harmed your property--your pet--same as vandaism in my book, check with the police on this.

We did... we could never prove that our neighbor did it. We knew, but it was our word against hers....

Sorry OP, didn't mean to hijack your post! :)

suziebee20
08-13-2004, 01:27 PM
At first I thought maybe someone who lived in your house previously buried something and your dog dug it up and ate it, but I'm sure you would be able to smell it if that was the case. You should keep a closer eye out and check on your dog more when your home and he's outside. That way if he gets another bone and you catch it before he eats it, you may be able to examine it better and see if there is anything on it. It may just be that a neighbor found some old meat in the fridge and decided to share since it's old and they don't want to eat it, but then again they should have asked before they fed it to your dog. It might also be like a young neighbor who thinks they are helping your doggy by feeding it food from the fridge and the food isn't cooked. Or, it could be some horrible person who doesn't like dogs. Who ever it is, I hope you find out who they are and why they are doing it and I hope your dog is alright.

I'm always paranoid when I let my dogs out, they are always indoors except for potty breaks, and they start barking. Our condos are real close and we have some crazy neighbors that are just accross the sidewalk so I'm afraid that they'll go out there a poison my dogs or open the gate so they can get out.

LindaL.
08-13-2004, 01:40 PM
Thanks all for your thoughts and concerns. My neighbor on the side that shares the fence knows my dog doesn't eat scraps and since he is a good friend I know he wouldn't lie about it either and I know for sure he wouldn't hurt my baby.

Its a new home so its not from a previous owner plus he hasn't been digging in the back.

I'm just really upset we do have some kids in our neighborhood who are always up to something but this would be an all time low. I would hate to have to keep my dog inside all the time but I will if I have to.

Uuggh this just makes me so mad!!!

brumzoo
08-13-2004, 01:42 PM
Cats and dogs will eat antifreeze. I have heard (and seen at the vet clinic) cases of antifreeze poisoning. People put the antifreeze into hotdogs, tuna, etc. and the animals eat it. Can you keep your dog inside when you are not home? I am so paranoid about someone hurting my babies that they only go outside if one of us is home.