PDA

View Full Version : medical question- fallen arches

tarbabie
08-02-2004, 06:45 PM
Need some advice here guys- foot doctor doesn't know what he is doing - he has diagnosed the hubby with planatar fashia- physical theripy says that is it fallen arches- either way- His feet hurt and I can't take it anymore! A walk around the grocery store does him in for the night- he comes home and hops into bed- then soaks in the tub about 3 times a night- Dr. gave him naproxen but that's not doing squat...help here? thanks! :)

cpbaby
08-02-2004, 07:12 PM
GO to WalMart and get some Dr Scholls inserts. The ones that are $11-12 and are shaped like a U with one leg a little longer than the other. I have Planter Fachsia(sp?) and they help EMMENSLY.

I totally understand how he feels, I have it in both feet. LUCKILY it has never acted up in both at the same time. IF he isnt a huge baby, he should ask for a shot of cortisone in the heel. It burns like someone stuck a lit cigarette to the heel for abotu 30 seconds, but the next day RELIEF! for months and months.

jaybird
08-02-2004, 07:25 PM
Found a couple things. Is the pain confined to his heel area or his entire foot/feet? Plantar fascia is 'heel pain.'

Here's a few explanations and links. I'd definitely see what the therapist(s) recommend and I'd ask the doctor for prescription, custom-made inserts for his shoes. Look around on www.foot.com or www.podiatry.com. Maybe you can get some better info there.

http://www.foot.com/info/cond_plantar_fasciitis.jsp

***Explaining fallen arches requires this brief anatomy lesson. The foot consists of twenty-six bones that fit together to form an arch. Under this arch is a very strong membrane that extends from the ball of the foot to the heel and anchors the ends of the arch. This membrane, called the planter fascia, is somewhat elastic and allows the arch to depress, but not too far. Also, running under the foot are four layers of muscles. These muscles are used to point your foot down and curl your toes, and they, too, help support the arch. This intricate structure forms a very efficient shock absorber and gives spring to our steps.

Some people are born with a bone structure that forms a low arch, or their arch may have fallen as a result of injury or disease. Others have normal arches when there is no weight on them, but when they stand, their arches tend to flatten because the planter fascia membrane has been over stretched and the arch support muscles weakened. This is often caused by being overweight, wearing shoes that cramp and deform the feet, and standing for long periods of time.

When people with fallen arches stand, their feet want to roll inward, and the bones of the arch may push down on the supporting membrane and muscles. This can produce considerable pain. It also makes the foot fatigue easily and can lead to ankle, knee and bunion problems.

Your doctor easily can determine whether you have fallen arches. If you have the problem, there are conservative treatments that usually include heat, massage, wearing good quality shoes (not high heels), and exercise, with exercise being a key factor.

Here are two exercises that can be very helpful. Exercise one: Lay a bath towel on the floor. Place a weight on one end of the towel (a small can of food to begin with). Stand on the other end, and by just curling your toes, pull the weight toward you. Increase the weight as your muscles strengthen. Exercise two: Rise up on your toes, lifting your heel off the floor as far as possible. Hold the position for a second. Repeat ten times. These two exercises should be done three or four times a day.