PDA

View Full Version : Tomorrow's the day my 8 yr old has been dreading for a couple months

kelly12569
07-29-2004, 06:08 PM
His appt at the oral surgeon is at 9 am. They are going to give him an I.V. and let him sleep to pull 4 teeth..... one in each side of his mouth top and bottom. They are doing all 4 sections at once because they/we were afraid once we got him in there and did one section it would be heck gettin him back in there. He had a bad experience at a dentist once and now I have to DRAG him in to get his teeth just cleaned! We already went to the store today and got jello, pudding, etc...LOL He wanted to be prepared. I just feel bad because I know he probably wont really start hurting til tomorrow night and DH and I have an awards banquet to go to for DH work so my brother is going to watch him for a few hours. Im sure it will bother me more than him to leave him there. He's there all the time. I just feel bad cuz I know how it feels for an adult to get one tooth pulled....let alone an 8 yr old having 4 out :(

LuvBigRip
07-29-2004, 09:24 PM
Poor little dude. My DD had 4 teeth pulled when she was 10, the medication they gave her for pain pretty much knocked her out.

YankeeMary
07-29-2004, 10:17 PM
Poor thing. I will say a prayer for a quick painless recovery.

schsa
07-30-2004, 08:27 AM
I had the first 7 taken out at that age. I don't remember it being a bad experience. In fact, I ate pretty well for a few days. He has nothing to be afraid of. He's going to be asleep and it will be over fairly quickly. ;)

YankeeMary
07-30-2004, 08:50 AM
Kelly is there an update yet?

angelarwyn
07-30-2004, 08:58 AM
I had 5 teeth pulled at once when I was 16...it was painful, but not all that bad. They had me doped up on Vicoden and I slept the whole week and I got to miss 2 weeks of school. I don't think I ate anything that whole week and I probably lost 5 pounds, but I was overweight and could afford to loose that much. Sorry, I don't mean to make you worry any more, he will be okay. I will pray that everything goes well and he has a quick recovery. Besides, I think it is better for people to be upfront and honest than lie through their teeth and say it won't hurt at all. I know...it still doesn't make you feel better.

kelly12569
07-30-2004, 10:55 AM
Kelly is there an update yet?

Ok, we got home about a half hour ago. It went fairly quickly. And I LOVED this oral surgeon. I explained my DS's previous bad experience with a dentist and he was SOOOOO good to my son. He explained everything to him , showed him every thing, etc. They gave him laughing gas at first and after he was feeling a little out of it then they put the IV in. Withing minutes he was almost out. So I left the room and they called me back seriously just 10 minutes later! He woke up crying but out of it but the dr said it wasnt from pain that it was a side effect from the stuff they put him to sleep with something about it wakes them up emotional and they're not sure where they are, etc. So it was almost like he was crying in his sleep. After he got woke up more he said "how did I get here?" LOL Cuz he was in a different bed in a different room than the one he was originally in.

On the way home we stopped and picked up his prescription and got him a shake and he insisted on ordering chicken tenders at burger king.... and he ATE THEM! LOL I figured better to let him eat now while he can .... doc said it was ok but he might not wanna eat later when the numbness wears off. He's laying down watching a movie now.

Thanks for all the well wishes! This morning was much smoother than I thought it would be. Hoping for a peaceful evening for him... maybe he'll sleep since his meds have codiene in it. ;)

mom2cvam
07-30-2004, 10:58 AM
I'm so glad everything went so well. Sounds like you had a wonderful dr. and that helps a lot. (((Hugs))) to you and your son. :)

schsa
07-30-2004, 01:47 PM
Anethesia can be really weird. I have bad dreams whenever I have anesthesia and it is disconcerting to wake up in a different place than when you started. He ate the chicken fingers because he's still numb enough to do it but I wouldn't recommend it. By tomorrow it might be a different story.

I'm glad the oral surgeon was kind. It makes a big difference when you are a kid if your doctor talks to you and explains things.

YankeeMary
07-30-2004, 01:56 PM
Kelly, I sure am glad to hear things went good for him. (and you too). My nephew is going through bunch of dental work for braces, teeth removed the whole nine yards. I feel so sorry for him.

LuvBigRip
07-30-2004, 02:25 PM
Good to hear that it went well. It is scary for kids when they don't know what to expect. Heck, it is scary for adults too.

bell_peaches
07-30-2004, 02:41 PM
Glad to hear everything went great. prayers for a speedy recovery.