PDA

View Full Version : I have an odd request for moms

buttrfli
07-29-2004, 07:18 AM
Does anyone else have a mentally disabled daughter?? The thread on girls starting their "monthly" so young has me SO freaked out! My DD will be nine next month, and I know 9 isn't the age everyone starts, it could be and I have no idea how I would handle this or expect her to handle it, with her disability. I just want to be prepared.

I would really like to talk to someone about it (privately) you can e-mail me at buttrfli@cox.net

Urban Cowgirl
07-29-2004, 08:17 AM
Ok I do not have a mentally disabled DD and I do not have a lot of information on this subject but I will tell about my brief experience. I do have a second cousin that has down syndrome and I remembered she started to get her period since she was 5 years old. It was not a regular period by any means just she would have one every so often. I remember that she just thought nothing of it and accepted it as the norm. I know the family was much more upset about it than she was. Don't know if that helps or not.....not sure what your question was.

nanajoanie
07-29-2004, 09:40 AM
Maybe you could ask the nurse or doctor. If there is a women's health place, they may be able to advise you. Good luck hon :)

justbeachy
07-29-2004, 10:07 AM
I had a cousin (mentally about 5 or 6) who started getting hers at about 10 or 11. She just "handled" it every month. I hope you can find someone to help answer your questions. I know this is something that I dread with my little one. Not the talk, mind you, just what it entails. Good Luck.