PDA

View Full Version : An old friend was murdered today....

joaimee
07-28-2004, 04:22 PM
When I was in college, I had a friend I'll call Sara. She was gorgeous, six foot tall, long deep, dark red hair. She was funny and smart and I really liked her. She wanted to be a teacher, I thought she'd make a good one, she had great patience and gentleness.
In 1996, we were both single moms and decided to become roommates. The idea was that we could share child care while we worked and went to school, etc. Then I discovered that she had started using crack cocaine. She would not be talked out of it, she even fired up the pipe in front of my infant son one day. I tried and tried to talk her out of using it, it was like talking to a brick wall. She just couldn't see what she was doing to herself or to the people who cared about her. I moved out. When I went back for my things, I discovered she had stolen most of jewelry and clothes. I didn't see her for another year.
I ran into her at school one day, she was trying to straighten up her life. I wished her well, hoping that she would go straight for her child. I didn't hear about or see her again for seven years.
I saw her picture on the news this evening, she was murdered early this morning. She had become a prostitute and a mother of four.
I could never understand why she started using drugs and why she never stopped. Her family loved her dearly.
I thought she was beautiful, full of promise, with a great future ahead of her. She always seemed to be searching for something that she couldn't find.
The news and the paper just identified her as a prostitute, which angered me, she was alot more than that. She was a daughter and a mom and there were people that cared about her.
I will never forget her and I will always wonder if I could have done more to help her in some way.
Please think about or pray for her this evening, and for all those like her, who have somehow gotten lost along the way.

msshannon
07-28-2004, 04:32 PM
Oh man! I feel for you...I feel for all of those people struggling with drugs and such as well. You are absolutely right..she was a mother, a daughter, a friend :( I wish you peace.

kriskay
07-28-2004, 05:16 PM
I am so sorry to hear about your friend. And yes, she was much more than a prostitute. Crack cocaine is one of those things you can try once and be hooked on. And only one in ten people that go through drug and alcohol treatment will actually stay straight. The odds were against her. I hope she is in peace now, and will keep her and others in her situation in my prayers.

Tasha405
07-28-2004, 05:39 PM
That is so sad. :( {{{Hugs}}}

Angel Lips
07-28-2004, 07:15 PM
thats soo sad, im sorry.

Blackberry
07-28-2004, 07:27 PM
I'm so sorry for your friend. I've watched an old friend destroyed because of drugs also. And it is even sadder when there are children involved.

justinenycole26
07-28-2004, 08:37 PM
How horrible that the newspaper decided to trash a dead woman for the sake of sensationalism. She was more then a prostitute. She was someone's child and someone's mother.

May she rest in peace.

YankeeMary
07-28-2004, 09:33 PM
I am sorry for your loss. I will say a prayer for her children and family and of course for you to try and find peace. You did what you had to do at the time. You were being a good mommy parting ways with her when you did. Just think if you hadn't who knows where you or your son could be. Again I am sorry for your loss.

msmom79
07-28-2004, 11:32 PM
i am so sorry for your loss my prayers to her family and you.yes we are all someone's child,sister,mother dad,brother,its so sad how the news puts things just to make a buck.hugs ann

Tadbit
07-29-2004, 02:41 PM
I am so sorry to hear of your loss and for her family as well. This was a very heart wrenching story. I think the way you told this story was very inspiring as well. You should have it printed in your local paper, in the Public Forum area for others to read. Your story could help so may others, including young teenegers and mothers who may be struggling with drugs, see what can happen to people you leave behind. By telling your story, you can be honoring your friend's death and helping others at the same time. Bless you.

freebielover
07-29-2004, 03:03 PM
I am very sorry for your loss, it is never easy, she sounded like a wonderful woman before the drugs took her. Write a letter to the editor, stating what you just told us, telling everyone how she really was. The father of a friend of mine was struck by a train and killed and the newspaper stated he was an alcoholic and commited suicide. This hurt the children more than anyone will ever know, his sister wrote an letter to the editor and set the story straight. It helped those grieving. Thank you for sharing your story with us.