PDA

View Full Version : Fleas!!!!

*lilo*
07-28-2004, 10:20 AM
omgoose im so angry! my father was at my house last week so i could use his car to take my son to an appt. my dad brought in a bag of laundry so i could fit my carseat in his car. i guess the bad of clothes was INFESTED with fleas, now i have them ALL OVER my living room. i dont have any animals so they are attacking me, my son, and my boyfriend. i need to know a way to get rid of them, but here's the kicker, im pregnant and cant be around harsh chemicals. i know many of you know ways to get rid of unwanted pests and bugs so i thought someone here could help. please if you know any way tell me.

now for my whine....i got bit on my foot and now i have a nice lil rash on my big toe and second to last toe from it, i thought it was poison ivy til i realized HEY I HAVE FLEAS. :mad:

JWWB2000
07-28-2004, 10:31 AM
there are some things you can sprinkle on your carpet and kill the fleas and something else you can spray the carpet with. I know you are pregnant and all but you may just have to get a flea bomb and bomb the house. Go shopping or visit a friend for a few hours until the bomb thing is done.

Tracy'sMom
07-28-2004, 10:49 AM
That is what I would recommend Bomb the place and leave for a while.

suprtruckr
07-28-2004, 11:08 AM
go to walmart or even the grocery store in the laundry soap aisle look for 20 mule team borax, if you have carpet spritz it with water first, sprinkle the borax over the floor leave it for 24 hours and vacuum, don't fortget to change the vac bag

fatesfaery
07-28-2004, 11:09 AM
If you have carpet, you can steam clean it with vinegar.

*lilo*
07-28-2004, 11:13 AM
go to walmart or even the grocery store in the laundry soap aisle look for 20 mule team borax, if you have carpet spritz it with water first, sprinkle the borax over the floor leave it for 24 hours and vacuum, don't fortget to change the vac bag

will this be ok with my son playing on the carpet? he's obsessed with trains and flips when he cant lay the track out on the floor.

btw thank you all for the replies, im actually getting ready to head out to another appt and can hit walmart while im out.

buttrfli
07-28-2004, 12:11 PM

Absolutely the best stuff to get rid of fleas! I had them last year and tried EVERYTHING to get rid of them and never could, and one of the BBSer's told me about it and it worked like a charm!

It is safe for your son to play on the floor.. my girls did.

YankeeMary
07-28-2004, 02:31 PM
Put out a bowl with dawn and water in it...place a light over it...the fleas will jump in the water and drowned...can also be used withe bleach and water, but with the little one around I would be afraid. Good luck.

momfromTN
07-28-2004, 02:46 PM
will this be ok with my son playing on the carpet? he's obsessed with trains and flips when he cant lay the track out on the floor.

btw thank you all for the replies, im actually getting ready to head out to another appt and can hit walmart while im out.

It probably won't hurt him, but I wouldn't let my kids play on the floor with that. How old is your son? Kids need to learn they cannot always have their way. It will not kill him to wait a day and you need to get rid of those fleas. Perhaps you can stay with someone for a couple of days?

pae1968
07-29-2004, 05:45 AM
We had a problem with fleas, and we used some stuff called "sevins" not sure of the spelling, but it works indoors and outdoors, and you can get it at your local farming supply store.

*lilo*
07-29-2004, 09:40 AM
Put out a bowl with dawn and water in it...place a light over it...the fleas will jump in the water and drowned...can also be used withe bleach and water, but with the little one around I would be afraid. Good luck.

i tried this last nite, and my fleas must be extreamly smart, none were in the bowl this morning. i have now come to the conclusion that i will be giving my father an earful when i see him again and demand he pay for the pesticides i need to use. not only is my house infested now, my sisters is too. :( :mad:

thank you all for the replies, i really appreicate them.

YankeeMary
07-29-2004, 09:44 AM
NO way...maybe they are to smart. My neighbor just tried that 2 weeks ago and it really worked for him...hmmm...I wish you luck.

Tadbit
07-29-2004, 02:12 PM
A friend of mine had fleas real bad and she was in the same boat as you, as far as not wanting anything harmful around. Someone told her to use Eucalyptus leaves. She put them under her couch and any place else she had fleas. Not only did it make her house smell good but it got rid of the fleas. You can buy Eucalyptus at a lot of garden stores, in bunches. If you don't want to cut the leaves off and spread them, then maybe you could just hide several of the branches around. When the fleas are gone, use in a centerpiece. Hope this works for you. I know she swears by it.

kama5207
07-29-2004, 03:06 PM
i'm curious...how did your dad wind up with fleas in his laundry bag ?

DAVESBABYDOLL
07-29-2004, 04:06 PM
We were infested with fleas (two dogs,live in country with woods) I took dogs to groomer,used RAID concentrate bombs 3 to a pack,was pricey $12.00 but well worth my money....that was over a month ago NO fleas!!

I also spray Raid flea on their under coats every few days.

YankeeMary
07-29-2004, 05:24 PM
We were infested with fleas (two dogs,live in country with woods) I took dogs to groomer,used RAID concentrate bombs 3 to a pack,was pricey $12.00 but well worth my money....that was over a month ago NO fleas!!

I also spray Raid flea on their under coats every few days.

Is the raid flea spray ment for the dogs? My neighbors poor dogs are flea infested and nothing helps on the dogs. But the dawn and water worked for inside his house.

msmom79
07-29-2004, 06:03 PM
most wal-mart stores carry flea control in the pet area.i believe it is called rug patrol.you sprinkle it on your carpet for about 30 min.to 1hour.then vacumm it up.it carries no harmful side affects and its not expensive.this is what i use every year when my puppys bring in their pests.good luck to you.ann

DAVESBABYDOLL
07-29-2004, 09:05 PM
Is the raid flea spray ment for the dogs? My neighbors poor dogs are flea infested and nothing helps on the dogs. But the dawn and water worked for inside his house.

YEP!! My vet and my dog's groomer told me to use it.Said it was safe ,just keep out of eyes. It's the purple can with a big flea on it. I swear by it now.And I'm telling you,we had them BAD,I had a couple posts about them.

Scratch free home :D

DAVESBABYDOLL
07-29-2004, 09:08 PM
YEP!! My vet and my dog's groomer told me to use it.Said it was safe ,just keep out of eyes. It's the purple can with a big flea on it. I swear by it now.And I'm telling you,we had them BAD,I had a couple posts about them.

Scratch free home :D

Tell them to wash the dogs with a good flea bath,let the soak in the suds.After their bath let them dry then spray them.Make sure to tell them,clean the bathroom floors and to have a trash bag handy to put wet towels in (easier to get to washer without dropping fleas along the way) And vaccum alot!

YankeeMary
07-29-2004, 10:10 PM
Great I willlet him know...thanks.