PDA

View Full Version : I'm not sure if I can do it !!

joey74
07-28-2004, 09:44 AM
I was just looking over the fall schedule for my local community college- and I think I am going to have a panic attack. I want to go to school, I want to have my degree-- but I'm just scared. I am 30 years old; why do I feel intimidated by the 20 year olds.
I need 3 more classes to finish my Associates degree and then I can transfer to a university. Of course I am going to end up taking more than that because I suck at math ( which mean there are at least three other courses I will have to take before I can enroll in the one that I actually need)!
I am a stay at home mom now, which has been an convient "duck and cover" for me. But now my daughter will be in pre-school this year and kindergarden next year;; and I just don't know what to do. I just can't imagin working in some dead end job, barley getting by for the rest of my life.
I have wanted to be a teacher for so long; and my husband, mother, sister (everyone) doesn't understand why I just don't do it and get it over with...
I know this may sound silly to most of you. I am just down to the wire now and I know if I don't do it now I never will.
I just wish I had the confidence....

ezmoney163
07-28-2004, 10:07 AM
I know what you mean. I am doubting myself too. I start on Monday morning and I am scared to death. I am worried about being successful, I am worried about my kids, I am worried about the money. Plain and simply I am worried.:) If you wanna talk pm me I know exactly how you feel. (((HUGZ)))

I know wecan do it, I just think we need to get rid of the doubts and butterflies. :)

fatesfaery
07-28-2004, 11:13 AM
I was 32 when I went to college. I felt a lot like you do, I had been married for over 12 years and had a 14 year old son....I knew i wasn't going to have much in common with anyone there.
I was surprised how many other married parent with kids were in my classes....and the 20 year olds were a lot more accepting that I thought they would be.

janelle
07-28-2004, 11:44 AM
You can do it, I know you can. Just keep your wedding ring on so the 20 year old guys won't hit on you. After they find out you are married and have kids they will settle down.

Check into getting a discount on tuition. Some colleges will give women over college age a discount for continuing their education. Good luck and go become a teacher. We all need good teachers.

kama5207
07-28-2004, 11:47 AM
if i did it anyone can.

i was a high school drop out with 2 school aged kids. i got my GED and started off with just one course to get "my feet wet". i was 38 and scared out of my wits. i had the same concerns as you all and i was afraid i'd look stupid and all the kids would be snickering behind my back. i hadn't been to school in years and wasn't quite sure i could keep up. anyway, to make a long story short...i had a blast. got an A for the course and was so psyched that the following semester i became "Betty Coed". i went on to get my masters and became a teacher. i am now retired and that pension check is so sweet. hahahaha seriously tho...if i hadn't taken that first step i probably would have winded up a poor soul still working my buns off in a service job [clean-up people at fast food places/walmart greeters/etc.]that i see so many old people working now to make ends meet. social ecurity just doesn't cut it. YOU CAN DO IT. and from what i've been reading on these boards you have plenty of "cheer leaders" that will continue to support you thru this. it won't be a "walk in the park" but if you have the will you will find a way. Good luck to you.

suziebee20
07-28-2004, 12:19 PM
Hehe, I'm excited for you. I'm starting my first year of college, straight out of high school, and I'm kind of intimidated by the older people. I feel for you about the math. I'm horrible at math- my math GPA from high school was a 1.4, or something like that. I have to take a few math classes before I can take one that will cover my general education. Does your school offer a math tutoring class for people who arn't good in math? I know ours does and it's worth half a unit and it's a credit/no credit class.

Sending you lots of luck. :)

kriskay
07-28-2004, 05:32 PM
I am 39 and in college!! You can do it. The 20 year olds are accepting of us older ones, even intimidated by us because we have so much more life experience and try a lot harder to get good grades. Go for it and get that degree! It will only be scary the first day or so while you learn where your classes are at.

UROCgirl
07-28-2004, 05:41 PM
You guys can do it! I can only imagine how you feel. I am 33 and have been thinking about going back. I really want to but it doesn't seem possible right now. I have a 7 and 1 year old. No options for day care. My husband does not want me to go, every time I even mention it he has a million reasons why I don't need to go or can't go. We are moving in the next few months 400 miles away, and we have no extra money. I guess I just need to try harder and go to the financial aid office and see if there are any options. Plus I have the same feelings as the OP! I feel to old and out of date (for school).

EMSnurse
07-28-2004, 05:48 PM
There are many more older folks in school than you can imagine, and I found that the younger students were great for the most part. I am 44 and just finishing my nursing degree, and I didn't think I could do it either. I actually look forward to class now, I enjoy the interaction with all the different types of people. Do not give up! You will be so glad you did it.

jedmatters
07-28-2004, 07:38 PM
YOU CAN DO IT.

My husband decided last year (at 35) to return to college for his degree in teaching. And he is doing it. SO I know you can.

twinkiesmom
07-28-2004, 07:54 PM
I'll be 39 next month and this thread makes me wanna go back to college and take some classes.

You guys can do it!! Maybe BBS can put a little motivation in the water.

joey74
07-29-2004, 05:33 AM
Thanks Everyone :)
This is why I love this board, everyone is so nice and encouraging!!

I guess I am going to go and sign up today. :eek: Once I get over my insecurities I should be okay. I have always been one of those weird people who liked school (--actually not so much school, but learning--).
I just have to keep reminding myself that this is what is best for both me and my family. I have come to the realization that I have been hiding behind my daughter and the fact that she wasn't school age for to long. I have cut myself off from everything outside of my family.
That is why this is going to be a huge step. I have to learn how to interact and socialize again. I have to find that self esteem/ self worth that I left at the hospital the day my daughter came home.
So you see, it is so much more than just "returning to school". But I think I am ready to "rejoin the world". I don't want to be this person anymore. (I don't want to be the person I was pre-baby either); I just want to find the new me and be her ;)
Thanks again everyone; I imagin you will be hearing more of my whoa's before to long......

twinkiesmom
07-29-2004, 02:09 PM
Good luck! Keep us posted.

Tadbit
07-29-2004, 02:26 PM
Thanks Everyone :)
This is why I love this board, everyone is so nice and encouraging!!

I guess I am going to go and sign up today. :eek: Once I get over my insecurities I should be okay. I have always been one of those weird people who liked school (--actually not so much school, but learning--).
I just have to keep reminding myself that this is what is best for both me and my family. I have come to the realization that I have been hiding behind my daughter and the fact that she wasn't school age for to long. I have cut myself off from everything outside of my family.
That is why this is going to be a huge step. I have to learn how to interact and socialize again. I have to find that self esteem/ self worth that I left at the hospital the day my daughter came home.
So you see, it is so much more than just "returning to school". But I think I am ready to "rejoin the world". I don't want to be this person anymore. (I don't want to be the person I was pre-baby either); I just want to find the new me and be her ;)
Thanks again everyone; I imagin you will be hearing more of my whoa's before to long......

You should be proud, because I know I am proud of you. Your daughter is going to be proud of you too and you are going to look back on this and be so happy you went forward. Heck school is scary at any age. My daughter is freaking out about going back this fall and she has a 4.0 GPA and in the 11th grade. I don't think you have to worry about the 20 year olds either. Most of them admire older people, that go back to further their education. You may be surprised how supportive they will be. Good luck!!!! :)

bethsheree
07-29-2004, 06:29 PM
You would be surprised at the number of people that are in college that are NOT teens straight out of high school.
I am 24(was 23 when I went to college)and I was scared to death as well.I was worried that I would be the only one that wasn't straight out of high school.Sooooo not true.LOL.I have met MANY people my age and older.In the program I am in,most of us are not straight out of high school.I have become very close friends with a woman in my class and she is 37(I think).There is also a lady in my class that is a retired school teacher.
I start back in a couple of weeks and an looking forward to it.It is the best decision I think I have ever made...and probably the most costly,LOL,but worth it.
I say go back and yes it is scary at first,but once you get into the swing of things and start making friends,you will be so glad you did.

Ethereal
07-29-2004, 07:51 PM
I just wanted to say you guys should all go for it. I am twenty-one and in a community college with lots of people in all age groups. Plenty of people in their thirties and forties and lots of mommies too. It really shouldn't matter what age you are... everyone is going for the same purpose. Good Luck!!!!

joey74
07-30-2004, 04:40 AM
I DID IT !! I went to the college and signed up for some courses and even signed my little girl up for their pre-school program they have their.
I didn't realize how much the tuition fee's went up (and this is a community college).
Everyone was right, there were quite a few people my age and older. But the students right out of high school looked SO YOUNG!!(please no one take offense to that, it was not intended as an insult). It kinda made me feel "old"; it doesn't help that sunday is my 30th Birthday!
Anyway, I have a really good feeling about this and I intend to keep everyone's encouraging words with me when I walk through those doors on the first day of class..
Thanks again everyone, your words really helped.

DivineMsDi
07-30-2004, 04:41 AM
Good luck at college. It's great to keep improving your brain and sharpening your skills. Adult students are a lot more serious than the kids...(I was one of those). You will love it!

VALENA-)45
07-30-2004, 05:04 AM
This is to all of you going to collage or back to collage. GO FOR IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I am proud of you all!!!!!!!!!!!! and i commend all of you, for it. WAY TO GOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!! YEY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

jedmatters
07-30-2004, 06:16 AM
Good for you.
:)

suzski
07-30-2004, 06:20 AM
I am 39 and just got my bachelor's degree. There are alot of "us" out there. I think you appreciate the education so much more when you go back to get it..instead of being pushed into continuing your education when you're 18. Also, when you're paying for it yourself it also makes you want to do better. So go for it!

twinkiesmom
07-30-2004, 07:33 AM
Wtg!!

Candice
07-31-2004, 07:40 PM
I'm 20... and in college and believe me, you have no reason to be intimidated! When I get into class and there's someone whos "older", I'm always intimidated by them! Before every semester starts, I'm so nervous about the first day and I never want to go but once I get in there, I realize it's not so bad. My daughter is starting preschool when I start fall semester so I think that will make it a little easier because I can use that time for homework and studying. Having a two year old "help" you with your homework makes it kinda tough. It's real cute... but tough.

Once you start, you'll realize you were all worried over nothing! Goodluck!