PDA

View Full Version : Can't pay for school (long)

freebielover
07-26-2004, 06:53 AM
I am so mad right now. I haven't registered for classes until I heard about my financial aid, and guess what? My school decided I make too much money for them to help me! Oh they'll give me loans, with ungodly interest, but no grants or anything. I am already seriously in debt from my first year of school, and now I probably won't be going back because I cannot afford it. I work full time, and I am a full time student, I have worked full time since my sophomore year in high school, and I still cannot afford it. My parents don't make enough money to help me, they barely have enough to help my little sisters. You would think the government would want to help me out. I am trying to struggle through an engineering degree and work full time, its not easy. I am so stressed and I am such a good student, I have a 4.0 right now, and I was so proud of myself for achieving that! I try my hardest but I just want to give up now. I'm sorry for venting/whining, but I just can't take it anymore, you would think the government would want to put money into helping kids with their education, rather than throwing away money on stupid things, or letting my cousins suck welfare out of 3 states. I guess I'll just have to take a year off. Thanks for listening!

Freebeemom
07-26-2004, 07:03 AM
Ugh...I am SO sorry.....I do not understand college admin. these days...From what I understand, enrollment is WAY down, and they are practically BEGGING people to sign up for classes.

Don't loose sight of your goal! I hope things work out for you. Maybe you can look for a loan through another venu?

lassss
07-26-2004, 07:07 AM
can you get a student loan?? It's nice to see someone who is actually dedicated to putting themselves through school instead of expecting everyone else to pay it for you. The interest rate for a regular loan may be high but it may be worth it to finish school and get that degree versus getting a low paying job and never being able to move ahead. Try a credit union or a local bank

aneisu
07-26-2004, 07:47 AM
[QUOTE=Freebeemom]Ugh...I am SO sorry.....I do not understand college admin. these days...From what I understand, enrollment is WAY down, and they are practically BEGGING people to sign up for classes. [QUOTE]

Really? Where are they having this problem? I know in Louisiana and in California they're upping admission standards and trying to get people into the community college system instead of the university system b/c enrollment is higher than the schools can handle.

mjlewis23
07-26-2004, 08:06 AM
I would advise you to take the student loans. I understand how much it stinks to have to take them, but a degree in engineering is worth the cost. I went to the University of Michigan, which was not cheap whatsoever, and I have about $35,000 in student loans for my Accounting Degree. The interest, contrary to what you think is extremely low on Federal Direct loans, and also on Federal Perkins loans. (My loans have a 3.something and 5.0 % interest on them, which is quite a bit less than conventional loans) Yes, my payment is about as much as a car payment for the next 10 years, but it's well worth it. Also, if your GPA is that high, try to get some scholarships, there has to be something out there. Good luck, and don't give up!

Michelle

ezmoney163
07-26-2004, 08:45 AM
I know how you feel, I am having problems w/ this too. With such a high GPA can you not get scholarships?? Try your library for refenerce book that lists scholarships do searches on the web, try fastweb.com ( ithink), try any [lace you can think of. Get student deferred loans ( these are loans you do not have to pay back until a certain period of time after graduation.) If I can help you please let me know
here is a google search for engineering scholarships
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&q=engineering+scholarships
HTH!! Good luck dont quit now!!!

llbriteyes
07-26-2004, 08:50 AM
Well, its too late to get most scholarships, though there are those last minute ones. It takes some work to find them. My daughter is in the same boat as you are. She's 20. She won a full academic scholarship for all four years, except the last two (or maybe three) she will only get tuition and books. She goes to school about 150 miles from home, and needs housing. Too bad. Her father and I can't afford to give her the rest of the money she needs. For her, too, its too late for the scholarships. HOPEFULLY she can get the loans she needs to cover it. Loans for her are the only way she can go.

I contacted my local district and state representatives and the President. Lot of good THAT did. And the thing of it is, she wants to be a high school English teacher. You would think, with all the regulations and crap they put the educators through, AND make them pay for it too... they'd help subsidize it.

Sorry to butt in on your rant, but I'm with you on it.

Linda

cinnamonch
07-26-2004, 08:52 AM
Does your company not offer tuition reimbursement? Also, have you talked to anyone at the school regarding scholarships? Another thing you can do is contact an engineering society in your area and they may be able to help you get scholarships/grants for school.

You didnt say, but do you classify yourself as an independent when you apply for financial aid? If you dont, you need to.

freebielover
07-26-2004, 08:53 AM
Thank you for the kind words and thoughts. I have tried most of the scholarships but most of them aren't based on academic performance, rather on a good essay and most of them are geared toward minorities and i'm caucasian. There are some out there I applied for, females in engineering so we'll see. I'm sure it will all work out, I just had a few moments of absolute hopelessness when I saw my financial aid. Again, thanks for the advice and support, you guys are the best!!

DivineMsDi
07-26-2004, 08:57 AM
Unfortunately college and loans go hand in hand. Few people are wealthy enough to pay straight out for it. There aren't enough grants and freebies to go around.

I had to defer payments several times. I also worked as a graduate assistant one term (for my tuition). I put a semester on my credit card. I just had to finish and would not let anything stop me. I worked full time my last semester of grad school and took a full course load at night.

I did all I could pay for college and grad school and only just finished paying off my last loan a year ago. If you have to get a loan, you have to. When you start making good money, you can double up on the payments.

Also, a student loan is a good way to establish credit when you begin to pay it back. I do believe they have special interest loans (low) for students.

Good luck. You can do it! :)

schsa
07-26-2004, 09:06 AM
Take the loans for this year and then apply to some smaller private colleges. They love students will high GPA's and you could end up with a full scholarship. Also look for schools that give scholarships for students looking to work in certain areas. Smaller schools have more leeway as far as scholarships and they are more likely to give you full tuition as well as room and board because of your acedemic achievements.

Don't limit yourself. There are schools out there that would love to have you as a student. Look around. Not large school but smaller private schools. It doesn't matter where you graduate as long as you do.

Don't give up. If you have to take loans to get through this year, then do it. But don't assume that it is your only opportunity. Small schools have money. Most people don't take advantage of it because they think it will be too expensive but you would be surprised at what is available if you start asking now for next year.

suziebee20
07-26-2004, 09:58 AM
It took them that long to get back to you?? That's horrible! I'm so sorry freebielover. :( I applied for financial aid back in March and was sent a letter saying that my estimated contribution was $0 so I'd probably get a good lump of money. They sent this information to me in June... Of course I didn't find out how much I was getting until the day before my classes so I kept worrying.

If you can take out a student loan with a good enough rate, go for it. Sure you'll have to pay extra, but with a college degree you'll also have a better opportunity to earn more money and it'll be easy to pay back. (This is what all my counselors kept telling me last year.)

Good luck, I hope it all works out for you! :)

mblaszczyk
07-26-2004, 10:04 AM
I was going to suggest going for the "women in engineering" type scholarships but it seems you've already done that. There may be a few you missed though so I would say go to your local library; I remember when I went to college mine had this big book of all these scholarships that hardly anyone knows about. There were TONS for women in fields that were male dominated. I know that it's difficult (I'm still paying off loans myself) but the intrest rate on a student loan is generally well below that of any other loan (I think mine is like 3%). It really doesn't end up being too bad. In the end it's all worth it. Best of luck and keep up the GREAT work!!!!!

mlayton1994
07-26-2004, 11:48 AM
((hugs)). I am in this position right now.

ang in NC
07-26-2004, 02:19 PM
My dau goes to a community college and we were lucky she got enought scholarships to cover one year. But all the state and federal grants we put in for all said we make to much! What a joke. Now it is gas that is killing me with her driving back and forth.

kriskay
07-26-2004, 04:39 PM
Take the student loans if you have to. I am going to school right now and my loans are listed at 2.75% I think. I know it is 2. something anyway. You can't beat that rate.

freebielover
07-26-2004, 04:46 PM
For my first trimester at one college I took out 2 separate loans, one from the school, one from the government, and because I transferred they are making me pay both back this summer one loan is $50 a month, and the other is $60. Its not much separately but it adds up quick. An extra $110 a month is a lot of money to me. I guess I'm just worried about taking out more loans, I suppose I wouldn't have to pay them back for awhile. I'm going to go back to my financial aid office and see if they can help me any more, and if not, maybe I will transfer to another school who will want me and help pay for me. Thanks again guys! Off to the WPI website!!

momfromTN
07-27-2004, 04:11 AM
I am so mad right now. I haven't registered for classes until I heard about my financial aid, and guess what? My school decided I make too much money for them to help me! Oh they'll give me loans, with ungodly interest, but no grants or anything. I am already seriously in debt from my first year of school, and now I probably won't be going back because I cannot afford it. I work full time, and I am a full time student, I have worked full time since my sophomore year in high school, and I still cannot afford it. My parents don't make enough money to help me, they barely have enough to help my little sisters. You would think the government would want to help me out. I am trying to struggle through an engineering degree and work full time, its not easy. I am so stressed and I am such a good student, I have a 4.0 right now, and I was so proud of myself for achieving that! I try my hardest but I just want to give up now. I'm sorry for venting/whining, but I just can't take it anymore, you would think the government would want to put money into helping kids with their education, rather than throwing away money on stupid things, or letting my cousins suck welfare out of 3 states. I guess I'll just have to take a year off. Thanks for listening!

I feel your pain. Before we had kids I wanted to go back to school but could get NO financial aid, although we didn't make a lot of money. BUT, if I were a single mother with a bunch of kids, I could get whatever I wanted. I was told that in a financial aid meeting. I told them, "So, I have to get knocked up and populate the earth before I can get a break?" They also told me it was better if I were knocked up, had kids and no husband. (That came from them, not me) Don't get me wrong, I would rather see a single mother or father better their situation, and get help to do so, but it is not fair that you have to be single with kids to get financial aid.

wubbywa
07-27-2004, 07:37 AM
DON'T QUIT!!! I didnt finish college and it has been difficult. Yes I have always been employed but like the job I am in now I am a teacher assistant. I bust my butt to do a good job and I do, but the pay is a joke. I do a lot of the same things that a teacher does,(not all the meetings, paper work) and I get next to nothing. This is nothing against teachers my husband is one.
Sometimes I believe it is discrimination against whites because we cant get assistance. I better shut up now.

kiki920
07-27-2004, 09:42 AM
My brother has had the same problem. He had two of three grants last year and now the govenor has decided he made too much money and took them away. They also want him to take out an ungodly loan. I'm going to be a junior at a private college nearby, that luckily has given me a good break. It is horrible that the government has taken away several grants and scholarships. Tuition keeps increasing each year and with more people going to college, everybody has to compete for the money. This is quite sad and disappointing. There's still time to fill out scholarships and with your high GPA you might have a better chance of winning one.

aneisu
07-27-2004, 10:20 AM
For my first trimester at one college I took out 2 separate loans, one from the school, one from the government, and because I transferred they are making me pay both back this summer one loan is $50 a month, and the other is $60. Its not much separately but it adds up quick. An extra $110 a month is a lot of money to me. I guess I'm just worried about taking out more loans, I suppose I wouldn't have to pay them back for awhile. I'm going to go back to my financial aid office and see if they can help me any more, and if not, maybe I will transfer to another school who will want me and help pay for me. Thanks again guys! Off to the WPI website!!

Have you talked to anyone about consolidating your loans? That will help lower your payment. Also if you're going back to school at least half time they will defer your payments. You can get them to defer the payments and then pay what you can as 'extra' payments making the amount you'll end up paying at the end lower.

gruslave
07-27-2004, 11:09 AM
I'll say i'm in the same boat with you. I can't sleep because i don't know how to pay for next semester. By God's grace, I've gotten over $1000 doing surveys this year and that has come in handy. I also have a 4.0 and i'm hoping to get some outside scholarship. Plus i have to buy insurance among others. :o So far, i'm praying to God to see me through. Hopefully, i know he'll do something great for me.
don't give up yet

freebielover
07-27-2004, 03:33 PM
It just kills me because I don't mind working at all, but with the job I have, my grades are going to start to suffer because I go to school all morning, get out for 4, rush to work by 5, work until 10-10:30, make it home try to do homework, then I'm up at 7 again. I just wish I had a job where I could make a little more money. I know what gruslave is saying, you just get so stressed out you don't know what to do anymore. On top of that my job is trying to make me take on more hours because I'm "young and I can handle it" If I say I'm tired I get yelled at because I'm young and I only go to school, how hard can it be? Lol, sorry I'm venting in my thread again. Again, thanks for the advice, I'm going to call the banks and beg to defer my loans as I am a full time student. I truly hope it works out for all of the students out there!