PDA

View Full Version : WHY BOTHER CALLING IF.....?(venting)

DivineMsDi
07-24-2004, 05:23 AM
My husband has been sending out resumes and letters to out of state companies because we need to move. Long story short, 2 of these places called this week.

The first person called (from a state about 8 hours drive from here). She left a message Monday night. My husband called her back promptly Tuesday at 4 pm when he got home from work. Said he would be available to talk anytime after 4 (for obvious reasons, he cannot call people back from his job). The woman failed to call back.

Person #2 called Thursday afternoon and I spoke with her. I said "My husband is at work but he will be home about 4-5. today." I was very polite. She mentioned they'd do a phone interview w/my husband (again, this was in the same state as above). I said I will forward him the message. My husband called her back as soon as he got home and she never called back, either.

(At both places he got the "voice mail")

Are people just STUPID in said state or are they just expecting to speak to someone THAT minute?

The second woman was from a MAJOR company, so I assume she understands people who live 8 hours away need special consideration. If she DIDN'T want him then stop wasting OUR time!!!!

Grrrrrrr. My husband was so angry last night that he sulked and snapped at me! :mad:

WHY BOTHER calling if you aren't going to follow up? I told him that if this is how they treat people for interviews, then they obviously have the kind of environment he doesn't want to work in.

Any of you people in "human resources" can you please explain this insane behavior???????

Angel Lips
07-24-2004, 05:34 AM
(((((((((((((((((hugs)))))))))))))))))))))

hotwire
07-24-2004, 06:04 AM
i find that extremly rude. i never did that to potential employees. i even returned calls if i was no longer interested or hiring. just common courtesy.
people do this all the time.....in any situation and it pisses me off! last summer it took me 2 months to find an electrician to hook up my pool filter! i kept calling and calling, and no one ever returned my call to even let me know they were too busy. thats ok tho.....i wont be doing any future business with any of them.

good luck to your hubby.....something better is bound to come along.

queenangie
07-24-2004, 08:22 AM
Warm hugs!

Linus1223
07-24-2004, 09:05 AM
I'm in "human resources" (as you put it) and there is a lot more to it than you would think (i.e. I don't dedicate all my time to playing phone tag with people). Esspecially since your talking to HR people from major companies, they probably pre-screen candidates once a week and won't call back until the day they plan on doing pre-screens.

These people could have been out of the office, in meetings all weeks, on vacation...I don't think that makes the person "rude."

There are million reasons why they may not have gotten back to you...Besides, the one call was only two days ago...You have the HR person's number, why doesn't your husband keep trying them?

Patience is a virtue.

DivineMsDi
07-24-2004, 09:35 AM
Linus,
I see your point for the second one. I told my husband to be patient because maybe the resume and letter have now been passed on the the person actually hiring. Things do take more than 2 days, and I respect the work you do.

However, phone tag is also frustrating for the job seeker. If my husband makes his call to someone, I think it is okay to expect some sort of reply, either by phone or email.

Anyhow, job hunting is just ANNOYING! (especially when you want to relocate).

Thanks for all replies.

Shann
07-24-2004, 02:57 PM
phone tag is annoying! if they knew they were not going to be able to get back to your hubby when you told them that he was going to be home, they could have said that they would be out of the office and for him to leave a voice message and they would get back to him as soon as they can instead of not giving you a heads up. Of course I know things do come up, but it's frustrating enough trying to find a job, you don't need to play phone tag on top of it. Good luck on the job hunting, though!

Tadbit
07-24-2004, 04:36 PM
I'm in "human resources" (as you put it) and there is a lot more to it than you would think (i.e. I don't dedicate all my time to playing phone tag with people). Esspecially since your talking to HR people from major companies, they probably pre-screen candidates once a week and won't call back until the day they plan on doing pre-screens.

These people could have been out of the office, in meetings all weeks, on vacation...I don't think that makes the person "rude."

There are million reasons why they may not have gotten back to you...Besides, the one call was only two days ago...You have the HR person's number, why doesn't your husband keep trying them?

Patience is a virtue.

I agree with Linus, but also the company may also have a lot of other people interested in this position as well as you Dh. They may be sorting through a pile of prospective employees and just want to make sure they have contacted everyone, and looked over everyone's resume. I have called about and been interviewed by a lot of companies and just when I thought they weren't going to call me back, I get a phone call. Tell your DH to be paitent. He may still get a call yet and if not, maybe he could call them back on his lunch break. The company he works for shouldn't have any say about what he does on his lunch break, unless they pay him while he's on it. I know a few days of waiting can seem like forever, but these things do take time.

twinkiesmom
07-24-2004, 07:42 PM
Hope u get the calls back.