PDA

View Full Version : Can someone please show me where I verbally abused this lady on eBay?

Kyla Kym
07-24-2004, 12:51 AM
To make a long story a little shorter....what happen was, I did a buy it now auction on a "Brand New metal detector without a box" (It's a birthday present for my daddy) I paid soon as I clicked the buy it now button. The lady e-mailed me the next day and said she was out of town and would have to ship it on Wednesday, which would be 4 days after I had paid her. :(

Well I didn't say anything, because what good would it do to tell her she didn't say it would take 4 days before she could ship it out.

So Thursday I decided to email her and make sure she did ship it out since I had never heard another word from her.

I Said:

Hello, did you get a tracking number for this item? It's for my dad's birthday and I want to see how long it's going to take to get here. thank you

To which she replied:

Hi, it should arrive by Friday-it was sent priority mail-insured-let me know when you get it-my son said he forgot to put in your manual-sorry-he's a teenager-will mail it right away,

hmmm.....weird she didn't offer me insurance to buy.....it wasn't even an option to do so on the auction, yet she spends her money out of her own pocket for insurance, and didn't even mention that in the auction that she would buy my insurance....I had already bought PayPal's pricey money back guarantee that cost me over $6.00 just so I could be safe since she didn't offer insurance.

(The point I'm trying to make right here is that it's odd that someone that has been a member of eBay for many years would foot the bill for the insurance without at least trying to get the buyer to pay for it. Or if she was planning on paying for it all along, wouldn't a seasoned ebay seller add that to the listing as a selling point? I know I would.....

I received the package today as promised, but low and behold there were parts missing! So I immediately e-mailed her and said this:

Hi *****,
The top section is missing.
It's not in the box.
Will you ship it out fast please.

To which she finally replied this:

No, it is all there-you simply put it together-it runs on batteries

So I e-mailed her back saying this:

No ******,
the very top part isn't in the box.
The cuff that holds your arm is missing.
I'm sending you the picture you had on your auction with the piece missing circled.
I would really like to get the missing piece please.
Would you please send it to me?
Darla

She didn't reply for many hours so I e-mailed her a few more times.
saying this:

You said your son boxed it up. And from the looks of the package I got he was in a huge rush to get it boxed up. Even the battery compartment cover was in a wad of tape and not placed back on the machine. Maybe in his rush the part rolled off somewhere. Maybe under his bed , chair or couch. If you could please check, because I need to hear back from you real soon, because this is going to be my fathers birthday present and I took out PayPal insurance on it. So I need to find out something quick.
I hope you can find the piece, because I really don't want to have to file a claim against you, but if you can't find the piece I won't have any other choice.
Please get back with me real quick on this.
Thank you,
Darla

Then I tried again after she didn't reply and said this:

I found out why the battery cover was in a wad of tape and not on the metal detector.
It's because the catch on the battery cover is broken. :-(
Also there are scratches on the lens.

I just put batteries in it, and it said that a gold & diamond ring was junk.
Without the manual, I'm not even sure if it works right.

Did you find the missing piece?

Finally many hours later she replies back and says this:

THERE IS NO MISSING PIECE-if the battery part is broken, you broke it- it was not broken. when it was sent. I took the old battery out out because I needed to give you a new battery
I am not going to tolerate verbal abuse. There is nothing wrong with it. It is insured. I will give you the insurance number and you can then claim on it-you must take it back to the po there and claim the damage.
Now, I wil send you the manual if you want it but verbal abuse will not get you anywhere with me. I will simply not talk to you again. You are responsible for taking the box and the detector back to the po or you cannot claim on it. I paid to insure it because it was new. There is not scratch on the lens-it has never been used one time.

To which I replied:

Yes there is a missing piece.
Yes the battery cover latch was broken.
And yes, there are several scratches on the lens.
I have not verbally abused you in the least.
I have went out of my way to be very polite to you.
You are the one being very rude in this reply I just got from you.

Considering that you never once offered or gave me the option to purchase insurance. I took the mater into my own hands and purchased PayPal insurance which cost me over $6.00.
I find it very odd that you took it upon yourself to purchase the insurance from the post office without even giving me the option to do it, nor did you say in your auction listing that you would be purchasing insurance out of your own pocket. I find that odd since that would be a great selling point. And since you have been a member for many years, that really is a strange thing to do.

I don't appreciate your attitude with me. I have done nothing but try to be very polite to you considering the dilemma this has put me in. I now have nothing for my fathers birthday. And by the time I get a reimbursement from PayPal insurance it will be to late to buy another one in time for his birthday.

Sorry this is so long, but could someone please point out where I verbally abused this woman other than my last letter.

Kyla Kym
07-24-2004, 12:59 AM
I should also add that I paid $117.00 all together for this item. That's why I can't afford to just buy another one.

And I've came to the conclusion that this woman knew the part was missing, that was why she bought the insurance. And that is why she just kept saying the part wasn't missing....because in the same situation I would probably be thinking my son forgot to put it in the box because he was in a rush then found it after he mailed it off and hid it somewhere. I found it very odd that she didn't say something like I will look for it, but my son is sure he put it in the box...but she didn't say anything of the sort. She just got all snappy about it.

Oh and also she claims this is a brand new item that has never been used. But yet she said she was replacing the old batteries in it...which there was no new batteries in it when I got it. This machine was made in May of 2004. (less than 2 months old) So it had to have been used to have run down the old batteries she had to replace in it.

suziebee20
07-24-2004, 01:09 AM
I didn't see any verbal abuse. :confused:

I hope you get everything straightened out. I'm sorry that you had problems with it and I hope you are able to do something else for your fathers birthday or get a refund and find a nicer metal detector for him. :(

From what you described, it's very unlikely the post office damaged it, it sounds like it has been used before. There's no way the post office could lose pieces, scratch the lens, break the battery cover (which had tape on it anyway...), etc. Maybe I'm not understanding, but why would she need to give you a new battery anyway if it was never used? Wouldn't the old one work than since it wouldn't techniclly be old?

Again, I'm sorry you are going through this and I hope it gets fixed fast! Stuff like this makes me afraid to buy on ebay. I just bought something that was insured... once it reached me it didn't work. I let the seller know first since it was something I *really* didn't want to show them to claim insurance on (even though the box was banged up a little). She said she tested it before it left and it worked but she felt bad that it happened and would send me another one out with some other stuff I plan on buying since she had a few of them. It was only a $12 item, but it's great that some sellers on ebay are willing to be understanding and not take small complaints as "verbal assaults."

ETA: As I posted this I just saw your reply... I agree... the whole thing sounds fishy, especially the battery.

justme23
07-24-2004, 02:11 AM
I agree it sounds fishy and you WERE nice about it but I probably would have refrained from mentioning the filing a claim on her bit... I know if it were me and I was sure it was all packed right I probably would have become defensive, which is probably what happened... You weren't rude about it but you can never account for how ppl will take things.

I really hope you get this resolved in time to get your dads bday present!

Quaker_Parrots
07-24-2004, 04:57 AM
Why would she have her teenage son package and mail something as expensive as that? I would NEVER even let someone else package an Item I was sending(of course I am funny that way, I want to make sure it gets there in one piece)

Funny that he packaged it, but she is absolutely sure everything was there....

ezmoney163
07-24-2004, 05:11 AM
Personally I don't see abuse anywhere. :confused: I think she may be getting defensive because the thing was broken before you got it. As for her putting insirance on it, well that does seem odd. I really do not think the PO is going to reimburse your money because it was not broken in the box by them, I mean missing peices, battery cover tong broke, and scratches to the lens. These things I doubt were done by them, Unless during shipping at one of the points along the trip some PO worker got bored and pulled it outta the box to go look for treasures. :D I think she may be a con artist looking to get rid of junk. Good luck hope everything works out for you. You should have went to Walmart, they have these things starting at around $90. I was gonna got DH one at Christmas so I am fimilar with it. LOL

DivineMsDi
07-24-2004, 05:13 AM
No advice...just want to say sometimes you get a lot of idiots when you deal with Ebay and so on....Some people ARE there to rip you off.

Good luck sorting that mess out.

VALENA-)45
07-24-2004, 06:33 AM
i didn't see any abuse. go get your money back. good luck.

queenangie
07-24-2004, 08:18 AM
It sounds like she sent you a used, incomplete product.

I'd send it back.

catdance
07-24-2004, 08:59 AM
OK, that was a totally raw deal, I appauled you for buying the PAYPAL insurance, if you haven't, please, file a complaint at PAYPAL< enclose all your info, like you have listed here, and if you can send the picture, that is fine, they will, Undoubtly, "find" for you, and she will get written notice of this action, I would then contact ebay, and submit your info to them as well, you can also respond to her feedback, if she has left any, and I think she has, under your link, she wrote on and I would leave negative or PENDING PAYPAL discovery, the outcome of your feedback for her..so hence the saying.."buyer beware", and that just is icky even to think about..oh, your PAYPAL process can take up to 4 weeks, or more, my last was someone here, factually, I won, but hadn't bought the insurance, still, I won, it took a week, so you more than likely will be returned your money..but it doesn't really help RIGHT NOW..I know..:( ..but you did the right thing, I am sorry, it just stinks..it does!

Linus1223
07-24-2004, 09:10 AM
While I understand your side of things, I could see how e-mailing her a couple of times in a few hours could be interpreted as verbal abuse. Not everyone checks their e-mail all the time (like me) and if I came back to three e-mails, I would definitely think of it as harrassment.

Good luck!

msmom79
07-24-2004, 05:06 PM
first off my ex and i sold metal detectors for about 4 years,out of our home(we no longer do this out of our homes).now if the detector was new,it should have been in its original box,with new batteries,and also it should have had the manual on how to set it up and use it,and sometimes they even have a vcr tape on how to use them.this is all factory made.my suggestion to you is this,contact the company its self(because most of the time you have to have special papers to sell detectors through the companys.did you buy a garrett,troy,white's,fisher,and when you figure out who it is from contact the main company about the raw deal you got.new detectors at times(but seldom)come to you scratched or broken,and the companys will usally make good on it.please email me if i can be of more help to you.maybe i can give you the company phone number or their address.please feel free to email me at(parkeranna79@hotmail.com.maybe then you can tell your dad what you got him,on his birthday,but that you can get it fixed to.did the detector come with a warranty?if new it should have,most warrantys are 2-5 years.good luck to you and happy birthday to your dad. hugs ann

guesswho!
07-24-2004, 09:15 PM
From what you wrote, I agree she bought the insurance bc she knew it was missing pieces & that it was used. Sounds like she really thought this thru & figured she would get to keep a majority of the money from the sale if she bought the insurance.

I dont see verbal abuse, just a thoughtful daughter in a panic bc your dad's bday was fast approaching. The seller has her money & simply doesnt want to deal with u anymore.

Hope your able to get your money back & sorry about it not working out for yuor dad's bday.

twinkiesmom
07-24-2004, 09:45 PM
I gotta agree w/Linus here. That's the first thing I thought of. Is maybe she didn't appreciate the non-patience and felt that she was being pestered. When I was working, the only time I had the chance to check my email was after midnite, after kids were in bed, etc. This could've been a similiar situation. Especially w/dial up. It's hard to check emails constantly. And as far as the item, that whole thing kinda sounds fishy. Go thru the proper channels at paypal since u got their ins.

MelanieAnn
07-24-2004, 10:09 PM
This is exactly what I was thinking. Maybe she had it, it got broken. Thought she'd sell it on eBay, send it damaged and purchase the insurance so the postal service could pay for it. So she gets $100 some bucks, you get a big hassle, etc. I hope that's not the case, but that's what came to my mind. Good luck!

From what you wrote, I agree she bought the insurance bc she knew it was missing pieces & that it was used. Sounds like she really thought this thru & figured she would get to keep a majority of the money from the sale if she bought the insurance.

I dont see verbal abuse, just a thoughtful daughter in a panic bc your dad's bday was fast approaching. The seller has her money & simply doesnt want to deal with u anymore.

Hope your able to get your money back & sorry about it not working out for yuor dad's bday.

andreame70
07-25-2004, 02:54 AM
I found this on paypal's site, you might want to take action quickly because from what I am reading time may be of the essence here:

Money Back Guarantee

General. PayPal's Money Back Guarantee program, which applies to selected physical goods transactions involving U.S. buyers, ensures that if you buy the Guarantee, you will be satisfied with your purchase or have an option to resell the merchandise to PayPal for the price you paid for it for the first 30 calendar days following the date of payment or seven days after receipt, whichever is earlier. PayPal will not reimburse you for the Guarantee fee or for any shipping costs you incur in returning the merchandise. PayPal's obligation to reimburse you if you buy the Guarantee is subject to the requirements specified in sections ii and iii below and to your filing a complete and accurate reimbursement request as described in section iv below. This Guarantee is applied in addition to any protection you may already have.

Requirements for Honoring Reimbursement Requests. These requirements will determine if reimbursement requests can be honored under the Money Back Guarantee program:

Pre-filing resolution effort. Prior to filing a reimbursement request, the buyer must attempt to contact the seller and to make a good-faith effort to seek resolution directly with him or her.

Reimbursement request completion. Reimbursement requests must be complete and on time, as specified in section iv below.

Failure to provide all necessary reimbursement request materials may result in denial of the reimbursement.

All reimbursement requests must include the following information:

A completed online request form

A signed and completed reimbursement request form with the Transaction ID, the auction item number (if applicable), and a written description of the reason for the request.

A printout of the website page, auction listing, email, and/or invoice on which the item and price were listed. If this printout does not also include the tax and shipping terms (if applicable), you must provide a printout of that documentation as well.

Printouts and/or written descriptions of any and all correspondence that has occurred between the buyer and seller.

The merchandise with all of its original packaging and labeling, including the postmark and buyer's and seller's addresses

Here is the link to all of this info so that you can read it for yourself:

http://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=p/gen/terms-outside

You will have to scroll down about 3/4 of the way through the page to get to the money back guarantee information.

Good luck!

Andrea

Kyla Kym
07-25-2004, 03:11 AM
Thanks everyone for your replies. I had completely forgotten about this post until a few mins ago.

I've had a horrible day, rather I should say yesterday was horrible. I've just not been to bed yet.

I woke up yesterday to a phone call from my son. He had broken his hand because of a family fight. He was at my parents house over 30 miles away. Somethings wrong with my mom right now. The medication they are giving her has her acting nuts and she is jumping on everyone. She's not herself and I'm afraid for her and my father right now, but I had to put my son first. So my son and I spent the majority of yesterday in the emergency room. I have to take him to the orthopedic surgeon Monday.

Funny to think 2 days ago I was so worried about this metal detector and it has completely slipped my mind all day yesterday.

I just checked my e-mail and she has wrote back. I won't be e-mailing her back because I can see it is pointless. Now she is suggesting I should collect from PayPal and the post office on this claim and double my money.

If it's legal or not, I don't know.....but in my eye's it sounds dishonest and I don't intend on doing it.

Here is her last letter to me.

NO, THERE IS NOT A MISSING PIECE. If there is trhere a missing piece, then it didi not orginate with me. However, it seems you are more than ready to NOT BELIEVE ME-so-your attitude will be choice.

When you accuse someone, you will find everyone gets defensive. I always buy insurance on items because it protects me too since I have had many damaged items delivered by the po and it fell back on me.
I am sorry about it-you are welcome to take the box and all to the po to use the nsurance- that will give you double your money-it was insured for 100.00

Why would you wonder why I insured it since you, the buyer would be the one who benefits. I always want to make sure if something happens, in the po, then, I would feel more secure.about the buyer not getting the shaft. So, I think you need to re-think your attitude. No more emails, please, I DO NOT ARGUE.

Just want to let you all know that I agree with everything you all said. I'm just kind of at a loss for words right now since I have my mom, dad & son to worry about right now.

msmom79, I will be e-mailing you soon. Thank you so much for offering your help. I could use it. I had emailed the company asking for replacement pieces to see how much they would cost, but haven't heard back from them yet. The one I got was the Treasure Hunter 3030. If they will send me the missing piece cheap enough I might just keep it rather than trying to file a claim.

Thanks everyone ((((((((HUGS))))))))

ezmoney163
07-26-2004, 06:43 AM
. If they will send me the missing piece cheap enough I might just keep it rather than trying to file a claim.

If you do this you will be basically saying to her it is ok to rip people off. I personally would be reporting her to who ever for what she is doing. To me that would be sending people crappy stuff and making the PO pay for it so she can make a big buck from her junk. JMHO It sounds like this happens quite a bit from this woman

I always buy insurance on items because it protects me too since I have had many damaged items delivered by the po and it fell back on me.
She is basically ripping off the post office AND ebay buyers.

YankeeMary
07-26-2004, 07:27 AM
I was just told Saturday at the post office, that if you file an insurance claim you had to have a receipt to prove that the item cost what it was insured for??? Would you have to have a receipt for this? I wish you luck and sorry about your sons hand and speedy help for your momma.

Shancopp
07-26-2004, 07:32 AM
I had to collect ins at the PO once on a crystal item DH had bought and sent home to me from Iraq. There was no reciept, only the ins form on the box. I had to fill out paperwork, they sent it to the main office in ST. Louis and they then sent it to him in Iraq before I got the $$. They also keep the item. Took a long time to get the check too.

YankeeMary
07-26-2004, 08:11 AM
thats good then maybe she wouldn't have to have the receipt for the metal detector.

Kyla Kym
07-26-2004, 09:28 AM
If you do this you will be basically saying to her it is ok to rip people off. I personally would be reporting her to who ever for what she is doing. To me that would be sending people crappy stuff and making the PO pay for it so she can make a big buck from her junk. JMHO It sounds like this happens quite a bit from this woman
She is basically ripping off the post office AND ebay buyers.

Your right, I'm just not thinking to clearly the last few days. I've already filed complaints against her with PayPal and eBay. I'm just going to send the whole thing back to PayPal and collect the insurance. Maybe my credit card will hold another one so I can get it in time for my dad's birthday.

I don't think it's the Post Offices fault that the missing part isn't in the box. I think it was her fault it's missing and she just wants to sell junk and make the P.O. take the blame for it. I wish I could prove it and I would turn her into the P.O. as well because that would be a federal offense.

Thanks YankeeMary for your concern. He has a appointment today with the orthopedic surgeon. We are getting ready to leave here in a bit. My mom I hope is O.K. they won't let me come check on her because they figure since I'm her only child she will use me as a target. I don't care if she did, but I don't want to cause dad more problems with her. I just hope it's her medication and not something that has went wrong with her brain. :(

Thanks everyone (((((HUGS)))))))