PDA

View Full Version : Spots/Blotches....Age Spots?

Blackberry
07-23-2004, 06:56 PM
I wondering if anyones know's what could be causing this or if anyone has spots/blotches like mine. I have very fair skin so imperfections show up very well. In the last year or maybe less, I have developed dark patches on my face. My forehead has a large blotch, almost looks like a light birthmark. I also have 2 small ones on my left cheek under my undereye and one under my right undereye. I have no idea what they are. I am only 33 so it can't be age spots can it???? I wash my face often, exfoliate gently, etc. I'm worried about getting more of them.

Think I should go to a dermatologist? Or maybe I'm being too vain. I don't know.........it's not like they are painful or anything. It's just that being a "big" girl I kind of feel like my face is all I have left & I'm afraid of anything happening so that I'm not pretty anymore. Yeah, I do sound pretty vain don't I, lol

Anyway.....anyone else have spots/blotches like mine?

TIA
Stephanie

nanajoanie
07-23-2004, 07:06 PM
I'll be 64 tomorrow and I started getting a few age spots only on my face about 2 years ago. Like you described, light in color like a birthmark bigger than a pencil eraser. Mine kind of scared me at first since I didn't know what it was. I asked the pharmacist since I couldn't afford to go to the doctor at the time. Ask your pharmacist. They have been threw medical school :) Good luck.

DAVESBABYDOLL
07-23-2004, 07:15 PM
Stephanie, if you use birth control pills,they WILL cause dark patches on your face, it's one of the side effects. the sun will also accelerate the process. Once I got off birth control,the one I had on my check disappeared after about a year.

Whitequeen39
07-23-2004, 07:30 PM
Pregnancy can also be a cause, check out this link http://skincarerx.com/melasma.html?x=6.0.6 scroll down to where it explains about melasma and what you can do to treat it. I got some patches on my face while pregnant and sun definately makes it worse so use a good sunblock and try an over the counter fade cream.

Blackberry
07-23-2004, 09:16 PM
I'm not on the pill and I'm definatley not pregnant--I'm barren. I don't go out in the sun much, only when I run errands in the car. Maybe I'll pick up a moisturizer with suncreen in it. Sure couldn't hurt.

Do fade creams really work? I think I will go ask a pharmacist before making a doctors appointment.

Whitequeen39, I will check out that website. Thanks.

BigLyd1
07-24-2004, 08:17 AM
I'd like to know if those fade creams work also. Going on 47 and I have a couple spots on my left cheek. I'm dark-complected so I don't know if that makes it worse or better. Anyhow I plan on going to a dermatologist someday. I'll let you know what I find out.

ahippiechic
07-24-2004, 08:53 AM
When I got pregnant with DD at 37, I got a few of these. They got lighter after she was born but now I'm on the pill and also get a lot of sun, so they've started to darken again. I haven't tried the fade creams either, someone let us know if they work.

withnohalo
07-24-2004, 01:53 PM
I have the exact problem. My skin tone is so uneven because of it. A nurse told me it was past sun damage from when I tanned so much in my early 20's. I am 35 now but it started when I was 30. Even with makeup it is evident. I don't go out in the sun like I used to because it makes it so much worse. The nurse also told me that a dermatologist could prescribe something. But right now my 1 and 3 year old are so demanding I don't have much me time. LOL
Oh, I also heard that dermabrasion helps but I hear that makes your face raw for a while and I am not into pain.
Good luck and keep me posted if you find out any more info.
Love
Angela

Mistress
08-04-2004, 02:44 PM
I'm 22 and I have the exact same type of spots that you have. I started getting them at 20 and was told from my doctor that they are from the sun. I have never been in the sun much and I don't tan. He just went on saying that we all get spots when we age. They continue to get worse and I'm worried. Ive tried Retin A and bleaching cream, nothing seems to work :(

Amyjean
08-04-2004, 03:21 PM
A hat has become one of my daily accessories and I use a sunscreen every day even if it's not that sunny. I'm 43 and the small blotches (they're not freckles!) that appear under my eyes and on my cheeks started about 6 years ago. I don't have any wrinkles but the age spots give away my age. My dermatologist suggested microdermabrasion but at $200 per session for a series of six sessions, I'll pass. It's not covered by insurance. I've been using Kinerase (came in the large Allure box a couple of months ago) twice a day and I think it's helping a little. At least it's keeping my skin moisturized!

bell_peaches
08-04-2004, 05:16 PM
I have no idea. I do wish you luck. keep us posted let me know if the creams work. age spots are attacking here ((((((((((HUGS))))))))))

moogle
08-04-2004, 09:36 PM
Are they somewhat rough when you run your finger over them?

I have spots like that from past sun damage. I had plenty of sunburns
when I was a kid and on up into my teens. (I'm a redhead - real pale skin.)

I went to the dermatologist, and found out mine were pre-cancer. The good
thing is that if they turn to cancer, it would be basal cell. All the dermatologist did was freeze them off. I go back in about once a year to
have more frozen.

Might not hurt to have them checked out.

Blackberry
08-04-2004, 09:47 PM
Are they somewhat rough when you run your finger over them?

I have spots like that from past sun damage. I had plenty of sunburns
when I was a kid and on up into my teens. (I'm a redhead - real pale skin.)

I went to the dermatologist, and found out mine were pre-cancer. The good
thing is that if they turn to cancer, it would be basal cell. All the dermatologist did was freeze them off. I go back in about once a year to
have more frozen.

Might not hurt to have them checked out.

Mine are just as smooth as the rest of my facial skin. It's like there is an acumulation of darker pigment under my skin. I've gotten sunburned in the past --I'm a blonde with very fair skin--but I don't think I've sunburned my forehead or under my eyes very often. About 5 or 6 years ago I used to use a tanning bed, but these blotches have just come about 6 months ago or less.

I do think I'll see a dermatologist though. Couldn't hurt. I'll have to call my insurance tomorrow to make sure I'm covered to see one.