PDA

View Full Version : they sold ponderosa in 1 day and now no one has a job !!!!!!

Sweetberries
07-22-2004, 03:02 PM
I was off yesterday so I went to go see a movie then I stopped by the mall on my way home well on my way home on the bus going by ponderosa all the lights were turned off I thought mmm pretty strange with it only being 8:30 at night and we close at 9pm and of course no no gets out of there until after 9:30 pm well come to find out I was on the scedule for 4 pm tonight went all the way in there are no cars in the parking lot I checked both of the back doors both locked and then I tried both of the front doors both locked too and low and behold there was a note on the door that said closed for remoldling nothing saying when it was going to be open again :mad: :mad: well I went home and went over to my mother in laws which she lives right behind me I told her she said somethings up this doesn't sound right so I told her the head manager (sp?) last name well she called up info got his phone # and called him to see what was going on well according to what he said the owner sold the place in 1 day which I think was tuesday never told anyone what was going on no! everyone gets to find out this way so we all got the rug pulled out from underneath us NICE HUH !!!! well about a month ago I applied for unemployment and I was accepted for $83 a week so Iam going to call them up tomorrow and get the ball rolling and take what is rightfully mine they owe it to me it's my money !!!!!

catdance
07-22-2004, 03:09 PM
GOSH, that is terrible..this happened to me back in the day..I did do what you are doing, I never recovered my lost wages, but I did get a unemployment..hopefully you were there long enough to collect your fair amount, bi-weekly..I am sending you the BIG ((HUGS)), I am sure that was a "heck of a blow", to everything, you had planned and EVERYTHING, but I am sure your unemployment office is flooded by the calls hopefully, the employees have made..I pray this will work out for you...and if you haven't contacted the other employees over this shock, I would try to network, that, as well.....I feel for you..

andreame70
07-22-2004, 03:28 PM
What a crappy thing for them to do. I have a feeling that management knew about this ahead of time though. If it was that sudden, any manager worth his weight would have tried contacting all of his/her employees to let them know, before they had to come all the way in and see it for themselves. That was very rude!

Good luck and I hope the unemployment goes through for you quickly. I know that you must be angry. I would be mad too, but maybe in the end it will be a blessing in disguise. Hopefully an even better job will come along.

Andrea

Smile
07-22-2004, 03:40 PM
I can't believe nobody bothered to let you guys know the place was closed. Usually the out-going owner as well as the new one have more consideration for the employees.

If a national chain bought the place, could you post it here? I sure don't want to be giving them any of my money if they have a place around me.

rlynn411
07-22-2004, 04:23 PM
I hate when a business does this. It seems more and more common these days that places (especially restaurants) just close down over night without the employees being aware that it was going to happen. I think it is wrong on many levels. I understand that a place can run into irreversible money issue but, they should at least have the courtesy to give their employees a head up so they can start preparing. Makes you wonder if management was aware of what was coming.

I'm in central Ohio and I can't think of any Ponderosa's still being in this area for several years.

Sorry this has happened to you and others. I wish you all the best finding a new job and getting what you can until new jobs are found.

queenangie
07-22-2004, 04:51 PM
That just stinks! I'm sorry that has happened and nobody even bothered
to notify any of the employees. You'd have thought that management would
have notified everyone at least by telephone.

Hugs,
Angie

Shann
07-22-2004, 05:02 PM
wow that is quite shocking. I'm really sorry you and all the other workers have to go through that. that's really crappy on their part. A lot of families depend on the money they make and companies doing something like that is dispicable. All of us know that you don't make nearly enough through unemployment as you do when you work and that's not fair that you weren't even given the chance to find another job first.. let alone some notice to prepare! I hope everything turns out all right. {{{{hugs}}}}

suprtruckr
07-22-2004, 05:15 PM
I can't believe nobody bothered to let you guys know the place was closed. Usually the out-going owner as well as the new one have more consideration for the employees.

If a national chain bought the place, could you post it here? I sure don't want to be giving them any of my money if they have a place around me.
the company that bought it wouldn't be responsible for notification, the outgoing owner as you called him would be the one reposible as well as HIS management staff, if they knew
sweetberries, it's hard enough when you know it's coming but just out of the blue has to be worse, keep your head up you'll get something else

Unicornmom77
07-22-2004, 05:54 PM
OMG!!!!!!!!!!! I cannot belive that!!

I will continue praying for ya'll hun!! I AM SO SORRY!!

stresseater
07-22-2004, 08:26 PM
Not to defend the practice at all but I know one reason why this is done. People who are loseing their jobs can be very destructive. They will tear things up and steal things with the mentality of well they owe it to me. Notice I didn't say all people(put away the flamethrowers) but it only takes one. As for management knowing in advance, don't be so sure. I have been involved in this twice and once mgmt. did know the other time they didn't have a clue till they showed up and the locks had been changed(seriously :eek: :eek: ) Sorry this happened to you. On the upswing, school is about to start again so a lot those shifts the kids were working will be up for grabs. I'd get those apps out soon and be one of the first thru the door. ;)

Faithfully
07-22-2004, 08:33 PM
{{Hugs}} I hope all works out, I said a prayer for you. This reminds me of something that happened here earlier this year:

There is(was) a local casual dining chain here, and during dinner rush, yes during dinner rush, they kicked out all the customers(didn't even let them finish eating),as well as the employees, and closed their doors forever. Most of the employees had been there 15 years or more. Its just awful how big businesses treat people. I'm very sorry what has happened. :(

1tiredmom
07-22-2004, 09:06 PM
I can understand where ya coming from-only i worked for south central bell back in the 80's& was involved in the divesture-i worked in repair service(we took reports from customers-40 employees) that was open 24/7, then our office went to open till midnight 7 days a week-the we got the weekends off -the day before thanksgiving they closed shop, held a meeting to tell us that our office would be closed turkey day & the day after. should we want to remain employees of scb our jobs were being transferred to shreveport la and they had 12 openings or we could transfer to AT&T& report to their Metaire business office. well metairie was closer from st.bernard where i lived than shreveport -job was suppose to last 5 years -only lasted 1 1/2 years before being laid off-to be fair i did get sevrence pay week salary per year of service,my 3 weeks vacation pay-but had to wait -laid off in march & had to wait 13 weeks before i could apply for unemployment

Sweetberries
07-23-2004, 05:07 PM
well I applied for unemployment about a month ago because they had been cutting down my hours but I never claimed my first check because I just decided that I would keep working at ponderosa until something happened on thier end they were going to have to fire me because I wasn't going to quit I did quilify for unemployment $85 a week Iam not sure if that's good or not but at least it's something I am thinking about taking some classes at college I could probley get finacial help of some sort :) that's still up in the air well I think the shock as worn off thank you everyone for your kind and encouraging words and your prayers.

Tasha405
07-23-2004, 08:11 PM
I'm so sorry that happened to you. {{{Hugs}}}

VALENA-)45
07-24-2004, 06:43 AM
sorry this happened to you. you can get unemployment until you find another job, which is a good thing. the same thing happened about 2 years ago when i worked for smokers paradise, they had finally given us a weekend off, which was strange, went to work monday and the store was cleaned out, lock, stock and barrel, didn't tell us nothing. they closed 4 stores in one weekend, and put about 20 people out of work, they did mail us our paychecks, though. good luck in finding a new job.

ozzysangel
07-27-2004, 04:36 AM
Sweetberries,
Hey they did that in my area too and im from Ohio, they eventually took the whole building down and made it into another restraunt.

Sweetberries
07-28-2004, 12:14 AM
Sweetberries,
Hey they did that in my area too and im from Ohio, they eventually took the whole building down and made it into another restraunt.
:eek: :eek: right now they have a lease sign up so it will be interesting to see if they keep it as a restaurant or if it becomes a different place of buisness did you work there ?

ozzysangel
08-02-2004, 04:59 AM
NO, i didnt work at ponderosa but the one in Ohio here they took the building down and now they have a new bob evans there.

amysusi
08-02-2004, 08:41 AM
NO, i didnt work at ponderosa but the one in Ohio here they took the building down and now they have a new bob evans there.

LOL, Bob Evans is a news anchor here in Utah.:p

catdance
08-02-2004, 03:55 PM
HEY YA!!!!!! WHAT HAPPENED????? Did you file for unemployment? How are you??? Please let US know, I am really interested in you and this problem..I send ((HUGS)), does this help??

Sweetberries
08-04-2004, 03:34 PM
HEY YA!!!!!! WHAT HAPPENED????? Did you file for unemployment? How are you??? Please let US know, I am really interested in you and this problem..I send ((HUGS)), does this help??
hey :) Iam not great but Iam ok I haven't recieved my first unemployment check yet which is for $83 a week I should be getting 2 checks pretty soon I just recieved my last check yesterday from ponderosa which was only for $81 which I couldn't keep because I had to put that twords my rent I still owe more :( plus phone and electricity Iam doing all I can to just hang in there and not become depressed thank you so much for asking about me and thank you so much for the hug .

Alessandra
08-05-2004, 11:13 AM
Sorry to hear this happened to you !! Things always happen for a reason but sometimes the reason isn't known right away. I hope good things come your way soon !!

A Ground Round restaurant here closed up during business hours last winter. They put the customers food in takeout containers and made them leave. Can you believe that !!?!?!?! If I hadn't seen it in the local paper I would never have believed the story.