PDA

View Full Version : my little girl is sick

Tasha405
07-21-2004, 02:12 PM
She's 10 months old (as of yesterday) and this is the first time she's ever been sick. She running a fever and has been since early yesterday. :( I was thinking that it may be from her teething but now I'm not so sure. She won't let me out of her sight. She wants me to hold and rock her all the time. She feels so bad. :( I'm giving her Motrin and it helps for just a little bit and then it goes right back up.

Ugh, I guess I will take her to the hospital if she doesn't start feeling better. I hate it when my kids are sick. :(

Tracy'sMom
07-21-2004, 02:34 PM
Sorry to hear Your little one isnt feeling Well. Please keep us posted on how She is. I hope She feels better soon.

azwup05
07-21-2004, 03:02 PM
I would take her to be checked if the fever is going back up before the alotted time frame. My oldest son had strep one time with a spiking fever. On the otherhand though, my daughter ran an en extremely high fever normally at that age. Scared the dickens out of me and the Dr. both till we figured it out. She did grow out of it. Hugs to ya both, I know you both must be miserable.

Angel Lips
07-21-2004, 07:09 PM
awww ((((((((((((hugs))))))))))) I hope she feels better soon

bell_peaches
07-21-2004, 07:21 PM
((((((((((HUGS)))))))))) hope she feels better soon. Keep us posted on how she is doing.

Tasha405
07-22-2004, 08:27 AM
Well she's still running a fever. :( I ran out of the infants motrin so I gave her some of the childrens and it seemed to bring it down better. The infants motrin would only bring it down slightly and then it would go right back up. Hopefully this will work better. She feels bad and you can see the sickness in her eyes. :( I guess we will be off to the hospital either tonight or first thing in the morning. It depends on how long DH has to work. He had to work over yesterday and he wasn't sure about today.

When I took her temp this morning it read 100.4 and thats taking it under her arm.

Thanks for all of the replies and I'll post more when I can.

I am so tired that its not even funny. :(

Momof2totsand1teen
07-22-2004, 10:44 AM
I hope she feels better soon.. Why don't you just take her to the doctor instead of the hospital..

I was going to ask the same thing. I work in a hospital and wonder why people don't just go to their regular MD instead of the ER. Hospitals are germ infested places. I only take my kids to the ER when they need stitches or when it is a true EMERGENCY.

Eyore
07-22-2004, 11:37 AM
I think emergency rooms are more expensive.
But, I think some people go there because they don't have insurance and to go to a doctor they want payment before you leave. If you go to the hospital you will get billed and then can set up payments to pay them back.

Tasha405
07-22-2004, 12:39 PM
I hope she feels better soon.. Why don't you just take her to the doctor instead of the hospital..My kids have never seen a doctor here so they actually don't have one. Plus, with the way my DH works, they are closed when he gets home. I can't drive and I have no family or friends here so I have to do things when DH can take me. It sucks, believe me.

I am working on finding a doctor though. ;) I called the insurance company and they are going to help me locate one. (waiting for them to call me back now) DH said he would take a day off tomorrow if she doesn't start feeling better today, so I will be able to take her to see a doctor at an office instead of a hospital. I hate waiting at the hospitals and more than half of the time if you're not sick when you get there, you will be when you leave. LOL

Thanks again for all of the replies and concern. If nothing else comes through, we will be going to the hospital. After all, thats what they are there for. lol

** The insurance company just called and they found one and added them to their card but their office is only open 8 - 5. But I can take her tomorrow if we don't end up at the hospital tonight. She's really sick and I hate seeing her that way.

Tasha405
07-22-2004, 12:42 PM
Oh, I forgot to say that I called a health clinic today and they told me that they couldn't see her because she has insurance. They only see kids that doesn't have health insurance. It would have been perfect too because they are open until 9pm on some days! :(

Tasha405
07-22-2004, 12:44 PM
I was going to ask the same thing. I work in a hospital and wonder why people don't just go to their regular MD instead of the ER. Hospitals are germ infested places. I only take my kids to the ER when they need stitches or when it is a true EMERGENCY.Well I guess to me this is a true emergency. She's had a fever for days now. (today is the 3rd day). So I see no problem with taking my child to the ER, if thats what I decide to do. Any time my kids are sick and I can't gt it under control, then its an emergency. At least to me it is. :o lol

tmesser
07-22-2004, 01:07 PM
[QUOTE=Tasha405].

When I took her temp this morning it read 100.4 and thats taking it under her arm.

DON'T YOU HAVE A URGENT CARE IN YOUR CITY, WOULD BE CHEAPER THAN HOSPITAL AND ALSO, YOU CAN NEVER GET A CORRECT TEMP UNDER A CHILDS ARM, USE A RECTAL THERMOMATER AND YOU WILL GET A CORRECT TEMP. AND I HOPE YOU DIDN'T GIVE HER THE CHILDS DOSAGE OF THE MOTRIN. :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :(

bell_peaches
07-22-2004, 07:21 PM
How is the baby doing??? I hope she is feeling better. when I couldn't get in to see my doc or I didn't have one in the area yet I would take my children to the er also. the area I lived in they had a seprate er for the children and less emergency visits. If you can't get into the health dept or the docs then I agree take them to the er. Plus when you don't have insurance don't have a car to get your kids there or your situation is like yours I agree er. A mother has got to do what she can for her children. All you guys worring about people crouding the er sorry rather see a child get treated for ear infection or any kind of illness at an emergency room than suffer. A child sick realy gets a mother worring real bad. Take her to the er let me know how she is doing hope you both get some rest.

queenangie
07-22-2004, 08:22 PM
Our hospital Emergency Department has a trauma area,
but also has an area called Urgent Care for things
such as this.
Our doctor at different times, late evening or a severe problem
has referred us to go to the Urgent Care part of the Emergency Department.

Please let us know how your little darling is doing.
Is she taking fluids ok?
Normal amount of wet diapers?
Is her fever down?
Can she bend her chin down to her chest or is her neck stiff?

Please keep us posted.

Hugs,
Angie

1tiredmom
07-22-2004, 08:38 PM
yes please let us know how she is doing-y'all might know but can't you do so something like bathing them in tepid(sp?) water & something with vinegar?

Tasha405
07-23-2004, 11:27 AM
She's feeling better today, still not 100% but better than she has been. I got her some childrens tylenol yesterday evening and that worked. It broke her fever and she was soaked with sweat but then felt much better. I think its her teeth/gums that bothering her because while we were in the store getting her some more medicine she chewed on everything she could get her hands on. Plus, the left side of her gums looks swollen. :( Hopefully those teeth will come in soon. She didn't sleep much last night though. :(

So far today she just had a slight fever (99.3) so I gave her some more tylenol and she's been playing and acting fine. :D

She's been eating good the past few days and using the same amount of diapers and everything. She just wasn't wanting to play, had the fever and wanted mommy to hold her. Today she has been playing with the 3 yr old and crawling all over the house. :D

Thanks again for all of the replies, concern, hugs and well wishes! :D

Tasha405
07-23-2004, 11:32 AM
[QUOTE=Tasha405].

DON'T YOU HAVE A URGENT CARE IN YOUR CITY, WOULD BE CHEAPER THAN HOSPITAL AND ALSO, YOU CAN NEVER GET A CORRECT TEMP UNDER A CHILDS ARM, USE A RECTAL THERMOMATER AND YOU WILL GET A CORRECT TEMP. AND I HOPE YOU DIDN'T GIVE HER THE CHILDS DOSAGE OF THE MOTRIN. :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :(
As far as I know, we don't have a urgent care clinic here. We haven't lived here very long so I'm still trying to find and figure everything out.

When my 3 yr old was younger and had a fever that we couldn't control, his nurse told me to give him Motrin & Tylenol (switch it every 4 hours) but go by his weight, not his age. So that's what I done with her and it made her feel so much better. Kids vary in weight and she said that was the most accurate way to give them medicine. So don't worry, I didn't give her like a half a bottle or anything. I gave her what was listed for her weight. lol

bell_peaches
07-23-2004, 01:33 PM
I am glad she is feeling better. Did you get some rest. I hope so. :D a temp of 99. is normal for babies. doc also said don't start to get to worried unless over a 101 But as soon as it hits 100. They start to feel so misrable and you know at night you will have a baby with a 103 or higher. I do hope the teeth do come through soon. Good luck need anything pm me

Tasha405
07-23-2004, 08:13 PM
I am glad she is feeling better. Did you get some rest. I hope so. :D a temp of 99. is normal for babies. doc also said don't start to get to worried unless over a 101 But as soon as it hits 100. They start to feel so misrable and you know at night you will have a baby with a 103 or higher. I do hope the teeth do come through soon. Good luck need anything pm me
Thanks sweetie! :D She was feeling much better this evening and has been making up for lost time. LOL There hasn't been a thing that she hasn't done, or at least tried to do. :rolleyes: :p :D

DivineMsDi
07-24-2004, 05:26 AM
Glad to see your baby is better. It's sorry worrying when kids are ill!!!