PDA

View Full Version : Kfc

delSol
07-21-2004, 07:35 AM
Have you seen this video? I saw it on our local channel (not this one) and it really made me sick. Wanna have those guys babysit for you sometime? I wish somebody would do the same to them, disgusting!

http://www.wral.com/news/3550530/detail.html#

justme23
07-21-2004, 08:17 AM
I hadn't seen it until now but I don't understand why the title of this thread and why the press is after KFC... as far as I can tell KFC has nothing to do w/ the abuse and PILGRIMS PRIDE has everything to do with it... maybe someone can explain to me why everyone in the press seems to be after KFC and accepting the PP BS about an internal investigation...?

DivineMsDi
07-21-2004, 08:17 AM
If we REALLY saw what they do to kill animals we eat, many of us would become vegetarians!

delSol
07-21-2004, 08:24 AM
I hadn't seen it until now but I don't understand why the title of this thread and why the press is after KFC... as far as I can tell KFC has nothing to do w/ the abuse and PILGRIMS PRIDE has everything to do with it... maybe someone can explain to me why everyone in the press seems to be after KFC and accepting the PP BS about an internal investigation...?

right - kfc thought their chickens were raised on the beach in the bahamas...

justme23
07-21-2004, 08:32 AM
right - kfc thought their chickens were raised on the beach in the bahamas...

There's no need to get cocky... I never said KFC thought their chickens were raised on the beach... but come on... did the employees of KFC cause this? Did the owners of the various KFC stores send their employees over to help PP do this? Just because a person/company purchases chickens from a supplier doesn't mean they have explicit knowledge of how the chickens are killed.

And for the record... this IS horrible and I hope PILGRIMS PRIDE (the responsible company that should be under attack here since it was THEIR EMPLOYEES who killed these chickens)... hubby and I have a friend that worked for PP... I've been inside the killing rooms, I've seen how it's done and I've smelled the attrocious smell... these animals were not cruely killed so I believe this is probably an isolated incident myself.

UROCgirl
07-21-2004, 08:46 AM
Pilgrim's Pride spokesman Ray Atkinson said Tuesday the company is appalled by what it saw on the video, has reopened a previous investigation into complaints of chicken mistreatment and will fire any employees who are found to have violated company policies on animal welfare.

Pilgrims Pride is a supplier for Kentucky Fried Chicken I also see their products in the meat department.

I don't think people should be freaking out about KFC any more than any other fast food place that sells animal products. I am positive that there are other restaurants that also use Pilgrims Pride as a supplier for their chicken products. KFC has just been the latest target of PETA and in the news. If I feel like eating there I will, but I very RARELY eat any fast food anyway. When buying my chicken however I may select a brand that is not Pilgrims Pride although how do you know the other companies don't have the same exact problems. Being vegan may help in some small way, maybe, on more of a personal level but people will always eat meat wether I do or not.

I wish the world were perfect and all animals were treated well but unfortunatly that is not the case. I have thought of turning vegan I hate that animals are treated poorly just becasue we eat them.

I hope they fire every employee that harms an animal it is sick, wrong, and twisted. It makes me wonder if these people are a threat to society and humans as well. I would be scared to know them they are cruel and violent and should be jailed. That is just my opinion, flame away.

BigLyd1
07-21-2004, 09:02 AM
I'm not saying this is good or bad but I guess KFC is still going to use Pilgrims Pride chicken "unless this happens again." I didn't want to see the video. We usually buy Foster Farms as it is advertised quite a bit here. Hopefully they don't engage in the same practices. But I'll be reminded of this every time I see chicken at the stores.

Whitequeen39
07-21-2004, 10:32 AM
I do not understand what is wrong with those idiots in the video, why would grown men get their kicks from torturing chickens? I can't believe how cruel some can be, it makes me so mad to see crap like this. :mad: :mad: :mad:

sahmsfreeb
07-21-2004, 10:48 AM
If we REALLY saw what they do to kill animals we eat, many of us would become vegetarians!

i was just thinking the same thing...

when i was 5 i saw on a farm how chickens are killed... it didnt maime me for life and no i still eat chicken.. lots of it... breaded.. bbq... fried etc...

killing an animal to eat it is a part of life. i would make a lousy vegetarian...

janelle
07-21-2004, 11:47 AM
There are humane ways to kill animals. The Jewish laws made it mandatory to kill animals this way and they wouldn't eat any animal that was killed any other way. A Rabbi oversaw the killings.

I don't know who would want a chicken who had been stomped on anyway.
Wouldn't that break up the bones and ruin the meat? I think companies who buy from the supplyier have a duty to see what they are getting and how if it involves animals or people for that matter. The sweat shops are bad as well.
Go take a look for themselves and keep an eye on it.

schsa
07-21-2004, 11:55 AM
There are actually people who go to these plants to teach people how to treat animals in a humane way. However there are slaughter houses that have yet to enforce those humane ways for killing livestock.

That sort of publicity can ruin a business. I would think that KFC is affected because they are probably one of the largest buyers of those chickens. And of course Pilgrim's Pride can't afford bad publicity because there are too many other people who will provide the chickens to KFC and the rest of us.

I am sure the higher ups made sure that heads went rolling.

fatesfaery
07-21-2004, 01:06 PM
DH grew up on a farm......a farm that had two chicken houses(they grew for another company, not Pilgram's Pride). The closest I had ever been to anything like that was visiting a turkey hatchery in NC with a relative when I was little.
When DH and I were dating, his dad took me with him to walk the chicken houses one day. If he noticed a chicken that had something wrong with it, he picked it up and killed it by hitting it's head on a pipe that ran the length of the house.
I thought this was absolutely horrible and thought my FIL was terrible.
Over the years, I got to know quiet a few other families in the area who also had chicken houses. It wasn't just my FIL who culled chickens this way, it is standard practice.........you don't waste feed on a sick, deformed, or maimed chicken.

People on farms have been killing chickens for centuries by either wringing their necks or cutting their heads off with an axe. I don't find what was shown on this video that much worse.

Next time you grab a Banquet, Marie Callender's, Healthy Choice or Homestyle Bakes dinner (plus a ton of other brands) know that you're eating chicken grown by a farmer who culls chickens.

None of us know about the growing, living or death conditions of the food we eat. PETA just managed to get a camera inside a Pilgram's Pride plant.
PETA's tactics are enough to encourage me to support anything they are against.

Shann
07-21-2004, 01:11 PM
I saw this yesterday afternoon! I about cried. I realize that these animals are there for a reason (to be killed and eaten) but to be treated like that! I can't even stomp on a bug like that, I could and would never do that to an animal just for standing there. It makes me sick how people treat animals. I think they should do the same thing to the employees that the employees did to those chickens.

delSol
07-21-2004, 01:15 PM
I saw this yesterday afternoon! I about cried. I realize that these animals are there for a reason (to be killed and eaten) but to be treated like that! I can't even stomp on a bug like that, I could and would never do that to an animal just for standing there. It makes me sick how people treat animals. I think they should do the same thing to the employees that the employees did to those chickens.

that was really my point and I guess I didi not express it well...I know they will be killed for food, but that is nothing less than torture.

stresseater
07-21-2004, 04:38 PM
The only reason KFC was even brought into this is because the PRESS singled them out as an outlet for Pilgram's Pride. MOST grocery stores also use this brand as do many fine restraunts and like was mentioned lean cusine,banquet and so on and so on... This was a few guys in ONE plant. I agree if peta says it's bad I'm more than likely to support that particular company simply because of the nazi stormtrooper tactics of this particular organization. These nuts BELIEVE we should NEVER eat an animal. Never use one for research either because gee we can use people instead. Who cares if we kill a few of those off to make life better for the rest of us. I am a firm believer in the food chain and YES chickens reside lower on the list that I do. ;) ;) Although we don't eat KFC often(too expensive) I certainly will not boycott them on the basis of this slanted report. :D

suprtruckr
07-21-2004, 05:09 PM
None of us know about the growing, living or death conditions of the food we eat. PETA just managed to get a camera inside a Pilgram's Pride plant.
PETA's tactics are enough to encourage me to support anything they are against.
EXACTLY!!

flute
07-21-2004, 06:40 PM
I agree if peta says it's bad I'm more than likely to support that particular company simply because of the nazi stormtrooper tactics of this particular organization. I certainly will not boycott them on the basis of this slanted report. :D

hehe...thank you :cool:

BabyDolla
07-21-2004, 08:43 PM
Okay, ignorance was clearly being shown by some employees there, but come on.... Put more cause and worth into human life. I see more people get upset about animals then people. Something is wrong there. Go ahead and flame me, getting alittle chilled anyway. :D

onfire4god57
07-21-2004, 09:50 PM
Ok, I don't usually respond to alot of these things, but come on people we have to realize that God put these animals on this earth for us to eat. That is according to the new testament.

My husband and I and kids raised chickens, turkeys, ducks, rabbits, goats, pigs and cows and yes they were raised for food. When a rabbit was no longer getting females pregnant than he was killed and put on the table. When there wasn't anything in the freezer for dinner than you went out to the chicken coop and grabbed a chicken and killed it and ate it. There was many a time that I chopped off the head with the axe when hubby held it, or vise versa.

When you start talking about treating animals humanely, they are not humans they are animals! As one of the other posters put it, if we would treat some humans half as well as we did the animals we would be alot better off.

When we start taking better care of the animals than we do the humans in this world we got a problem. Where I live we see it all the time. At Mote Marine (a place in Sarasota, Florida that house many injured marine life) they will spend $20,000 to $30,000 a year to house 1 dolphin that has been injured, because once they are rescued 99% of them are never put back into the wild. But people like me and thousands and thousands more just like me have no health insurance and can't get the proper care that we need. Now that to me is being inhumane.

Gee maybe the guys in the video needed to release a little stress, I know I would if I had to work in a stinky smelly factory like that for the wages they get, and personally I would much rather see them take it out on an a chicken than on a human being.

By the way, this is just my opinion so flame me if you want, I'm pretty used to it.

janelle
07-21-2004, 10:54 PM
Being inhumane to animals is in my opinion one step away from being inhumane to people. Someone who could do those things is just not right in the head. Farmers know how to kill lifestock. I have a friend who has rabbits and chickens. Her husband butchers them and she gets them ready for the freezer every year.

These cretins were not killing the chickens right off they were stomping on them and throwing them against the wall. Lots of chickens were flapping their wings after the so called killing. The story said the workers thought it entertaining to see just how brutal they could be. I don't care if Peta was involved, the video shows the conditions for itself. Are you saying Peta lied on the video?

As far as "releasing a little stress" those workers do not have it that bad. Try working in a care home with the stress and smells. Can those workers take it out on the old helpless people cause they have a stressful job. Oh please, go take a hike to release stress. Don't go home and kick the dog or the wife please.

fatesfaery
07-21-2004, 11:27 PM
Lots of chickens were flapping their wings after the so called killing.

And when a farmer either wrings a chicken's neck or chops off it's head....they flap their wings and even run around in circles.

janelle
07-22-2004, 12:04 AM
They didn't chop off their heads, they threw them against the wall or stomped on them. Big difference. Not an efficient way to kill anything.

The owners of the factory thought it was atrocious so I think I will agree with them. It's their business and when the people who are in charge of doing the killing say this is atrocious it must be.

suziebee20
07-22-2004, 03:18 AM
That is horrible! I don't care if they are "just chickens to be eaten" nobody should treat any animal like that! There is a big difference from killing an animal in a humane way and stomping or kicking it around.

If it's alright to treat chickens like this, for entertainment or to aliviate stress... then why don't we just let all the stressed out murdering people in the world go after all the poor little puppies and kitties in overcrowded shelters! :mad: Afterall they are just animals too.

I hope these guys go down!

adorkablex
07-22-2004, 07:46 AM
OK when my mom read this thread aloud to me yesterday it had me roaring to go.. I wasn't going to reply to it but this is me letting my emotions get the best of me.

I completely understand people raising animals to be food, as my mom stated my dad grew up on a farm and I was raised in the typical meat & potato kind of family. However I believe there are more humane ways to kill an animal. Whoever said something about the value of a human life vs. an animals life.. how about this one... We are not the top of the food chain. The only reason we are is because we have things that kill the things that kill us. Another thing.. they kill animals in ways that humans aren't even allowed to be killed in. Maybe if they still hung people (broke their necks) I might not be as outraged. Maybe if there weren't alternatives to throwing a chicken against a flipping wall I wouldn't be so annoyed. I just find it ironic that if someone finds out about another culture eating "pet" animals such as a dog or cat or even a horse.. they're OUTRAGED but don't seem to care about any animal that doesn't have a cute face. So think of it this way, how would you feel if someone did that to kitty or fido?
And no I don't care if I get flamed for this because I kind of figure my own Mom might flame me.

Who knows maybe it's because I've always been an animal lover.. (you know the kid who vows at 5 that she's going to adopt all the animals at the shelter and build a huge farm for them all to live on out of a cage) Or maybe it's because of the generation I grew up in.

Tadbit
07-22-2004, 08:49 AM
[QUOTE=justme23]There's no need to get cocky... QUOTE]
LOL This just stuck me as funny since the thread was about chickens. :)
I thought this story was sick, but then I was raised on a farm as well, and I never thought the way my dad cut chicken's heads off were a picture I wanted to remember either. However, there is a right way and a wrong way to slaughter animals. The video just didn't depict the right way. I think these people that did this should be fired, as would anyone else would be in a different company, that didn't follow procedures. I worked at Hallmark Cards for 15 years, and if we vented our frustrations by throwing the cards up against a wall or stomping on them, we would be fired too. It's a matter of producing a good product for the consumer. No one would want to buy a chicken that was processed in the manner they showed on the video.

Whitequeen39
07-22-2004, 09:13 AM
I so agree with the last 4 posters...there is a right and a wrong way to slaughter animals and the behavior in the video was disgusting and WRONG. If they treat animals this way how do they treat others? There is no excuse for cruelty whether it is to people or "just animals" as some have put it. I find some of the attitudes here rather disturbing... :eek:

harloo
07-22-2004, 09:44 AM
Put more cause and worth into human life. I see more people get upset about animals then people.

This is so true and just baffles me. Noone even cares about the ethnic cleansing going on in the Sudan, but they are so passionate about a bunch of chickens.

And while I don't even eat at KFC because I suspected they were using steroids to fatten up their chicks, I do feel their are more important issues going on in the world right now.

Animals should be able to die in a humane way, but humans are far more important. IMO, the government should do something about both cases, but nothing will change under this administration.

BabyDolla
07-22-2004, 10:11 AM
Instead of harping about these chickens...why not go read the post about the young lady that was brutally murdered! A young life taken and in a very tragic way.

Doesn't matter who is in office....people have to be compassionate ( not radical) about a cause and most people just don't care about either. However, I will support a human cause over an animals.

suziebee20
07-22-2004, 10:52 AM
Of, but it's when these guys go home and beat their wives or children when it becomes "what kind of sick pyschos are these people? Why didn't anyone see the warning signs of them being violent... there were videos of them all over the internet kicking and punching helpless chickens..."

Not to be rude... but I don't really see how the topic of humans being more important than animals got brought into this... I care about animals, but I care about humans as well... just because the way these people acted angers me does NOT mean that I care more about the chickens than I do other topics such as war and what not. It just bothers me when people think that since there are "bigger issues" to care about they feel the little ones should go ignored.

I've seen bigger problems on here, and smaller problems... which is why I try not to vent and whine on here anymore... God forbid I vent about the $5,000 dental bill I racked up when people have to pay so much for health insurance. Next time my dog gets seriously sick, instead of taking him to the vet I'll donate all the money to the people who need it more... Stanley's just an animal and humans matter more right?

Sorry if that comes off like I'm being harsh... it's been a long morning and reading some of these replies kind of upset me! :(

Whitequeen39
07-22-2004, 10:53 AM
You know this thread is just getting stupid and ticking me off :mad: ....NOONE here said that animals were more important than humans or that murders and cruelty to our fellow man was not an outrage. I find cruelty in ANY form inexcusable and sickening PERIOD. :(

Suzie ITA with you :)

delSol
07-22-2004, 11:39 AM
suziebee20 - you are so right on. I posted this ONLY because I thought it was horrible, not to get everyone so fired up - just a statement about it being terrible has turned people into yelling about everything else in the world. We should never make light of something like this, it is because people find stuff like this acceptable that people like that young girl getting tortured and murdered becomes more common. Jeffrey Dahmer used to torture animals as a child - they say it is only a stone step from there to people and look how far he got...

freebielover
07-22-2004, 11:39 AM
Frankly I think all lives should be treated with respect. I am a vegan, and I definitely don't agree with what PETA does, but treatment of animals like this should not be tolerated. If I see similar things happening to humans, I get just as upset. I am not outraged because I know this stuff happens. Look at all the sickos out there that kidnap people and beat their children, it shouldn't be tolerated to anyone or anything. Ok don't yell at me! (Hiding in the corner)

stresseater
07-22-2004, 12:11 PM
suziebee20 - you are so right on. I posted this ONLY because I thought it was horrible, not to get everyone so fired up - just a statement about it being terrible has turned people into yelling about everything else in the world. We should never make light of something like this, it is because people find stuff like this acceptable that people like that young girl getting tortured and murdered becomes more common.
Ok first of all I'm sorry to have started a ****storm in your thread.
I was only trying to pointout that KFC was not rresponsible for this behavior that it was some sick guys that worked for a company who sold some stuff to KFC. These guys should be punished for their actions on this I agree.
Whoever said something about the value of a human life vs. an animals life.. how about this one... We are not the top of the food chain. The only reason we are is because we have things that kill the things that kill us.
And they call that superior intellegence. This is the MAIN reason we ARE at the top of the food chain. ;) ;)
As for my comments about peta I invite you to tour their activist site peta activist site (http://www.animalactivist.com/default.asp)

Animals deserve rights, regardless of how they taste or how convenient it is to experiment on them. Like humans, animals are capable of suffering and have an interest in leading their own lives. They are not ours to use for food, clothing, experimentation, or entertainment.
This is what they are striving for. I don't know about where you guys live but here in Oklahoma they do this by stripping down to their birthday suits on the corner and haveing an hour long makeout session. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: I have heard of other tactics that are employed by this organization and they are way harsher than that. They are a group who triees to accomplish their agenda through fear and shock,kinda like the nazi stormtroopers did :eek: . Which is where my comments came from on that one. :D

reneep45
07-22-2004, 10:02 PM
That is horrible! I don't care if they are "just chickens to be eaten" nobody should treat any animal like that! There is a big difference from killing an animal in a humane way and stomping or kicking it around.

If it's alright to treat chickens like this, for entertainment or to aliviate stress... then why don't we just let all the stressed out murdering people in the world go after all the poor little puppies and kitties in overcrowded shelters! :mad: Afterall they are just animals too.

I hope these guys go down!

my thoughts EXACTLY !! THANKYOU SUZIE !
I don't think the LORD would want any creatures of any kind mistreated in any way even if he made them for us to eat

janelle
07-22-2004, 11:15 PM
Maybe PETA should be video taped too if they get so radical but they did a good job in reporting the abuse at this facility.

I don't know how anyone can take the leap that just because people get mad about animal abuse they don't care about people. :confused: It's the people who care about life in general that care the most about human life. People who find animal abuse no big deal generally have little compassion and I can't see how this can be helpful when humans are abused. We need to protect all life, animal and human. If a baby is involved I would hit the roof even harder than with a chicken but I would hit the roof in both cases. This is compassion and we all need to have it. I don't trust people when they turn the other way when they see cruelty.

gonnascream
07-22-2004, 11:21 PM
This has gotten way out of hand. And this is just my 2 cents, flame away if you want, but unless you have ever had to kill an animal yourself, I don't suggest you preach about there being "more humane ways".

1. we are the top of the food chain. when they can pay taxes and mow my yard, I will listen to the argument. but until then, enough said.
2.I don't think what the employees did was right.
3. My money says that not even half of you have ever worked in a chicken processing plant, which is what this was. Places like cagles, tyson, ect, have a quota they have to meet. they don't have time for "more humane treatment" . Usally thier necks are seperated by a machine and the body sent for processing. I doubt there is anybody there telling the chicken that it will be alright and to go into the light. Sorry, but that is the bottom dollar and the bottom line.
4.You can change the industry for more humane treatment, but then again, the product will end up costing more. And then you have another thing to complain about when it jumps to 4 bucks a pound.
5.I had to get used to death. If you want dinner, death is involved.
6.If you have ever had to snap a deers neck to put it out of its misery you know it's a sound that stays with you forever. But it is quick and "humane"
7.hogs and cattle have it much worse in the death department. They are not as easy to put down. You literally have to decapitate them. It's not pretty.
8.PETA is a bunch of fools. Those people could never survive in the mountains for 2 weeks alone. If you ever want to survive, god forbid you get lost, hurt, stuck out somewhere, you have to know how to survive alone. like if you were starving, and you caught a rabbit for food, you have 2 choices. stragulation or killing it with a blow to the head. Either way is cruel, but if it came right down to it, you would throw humanity out the window and fend for yourself.
9.anybody ever sleep on a down comforter or pillow ?? you know what it's filled with ?? feathers ! you know how they got in there ? the parts that were taken off the bird before if was food processed. ( wonders if people still believe in the feather fairy)
10.I think I have said my peace.

janelle
07-22-2004, 11:31 PM
If you are starving you are excused. OK??? These workers looked like they hadn't missed any meals.

gonnascream
07-22-2004, 11:34 PM
please refer to NO. 2. thank you.

I am so glad to see people really read through the ENTIRE post before jumping to make thier point again. Now I got that warm fuzzy feeling .

janelle
07-22-2004, 11:45 PM
I read it all twice but not agreeing with the workers and then saying if the quota isn't met the price goes up is giving them an excuse for the behavior. I think putting the chickens in the processing machine would't take anymore time, probably less with all the clean up you would need to do after they threw them all over the place. Talk about unsanitary. Just being pragmatic I don't want my food handled in such a way. The conditions in a factory chicken house is unsanitary enough without this being added to it.

gonnascream
07-23-2004, 01:42 AM
ok, point out exactly where it said word for word that I agree that the quota was an excuse for thier behavior.

Please make sure you have it right before you go quoting me. I really want you to show me where I said "since there is a quota, what they did was ok"

and don't sit there and say I either insinuated it or I meant it, I want you to show me word for word.

Angelseyes28
07-23-2004, 05:25 AM
Unfortunately this thread has gotten completely out of hand, so it is now being closed.