PDA

View Full Version : $35.63 for a 3 min call!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

lynde
07-16-2004, 02:53 PM
Last week my dh & I went to pick up a bike that I found on freecycle. I was having trouble finding the apt. but there was a payphone in front of the complex so I thought I'll call the woman. The phone wouldn't take my change so I charged the call to my cc. Well I got the statement today and was charged over $35 for it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

so i call the 800# that was with the charge the rep told me i should have asked the operator the rate!!!! I have been doing some reading up on the company--OPTICOM--& apparently this is perfectly legal :eek: UNREAL!!!! They did give me a $20 credit, BUT STILL $15 for a 3 min call IS STILL A CRIME!!!! I filed a claim with the FCC and will do so with the BBB too-I have had it !!! Have been getting screwed by COX for the past 2 mo. --got digital phone & cable internet from them that only works half the time--I am sooo tired of customer service reps I could scream. But this lastest-I am still floored @ over $10 a minute-I feel violated!!!!! :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

LuvBigRip
07-16-2004, 03:04 PM
:eek: Unbelievable :eek:

BigLyd1
07-16-2004, 03:16 PM
UGH, it shouldn't be necessary to have to ask the operator for the rate. I would never imagine it being that high.

Tracy'sMom
07-16-2004, 03:24 PM
:eek: Unbelievable :eek:
My thoughts exactly

schsa
07-16-2004, 04:46 PM
That is outrageous. I would be complaining to everyone. That is price gouging if ever I saw it. Write you congressman and your state senator as well as your governer.

ezmoney163
07-16-2004, 04:48 PM
I remember once when a guy I was dating was in the military called me collect from training camp on a payphone We talked for maybe 5 minutes tops cause he could not be on long, anyway the bill came the charge was over $80. My grandma ( who I lived with) had a cow!! :mad: I had to work my hinney off to pay for that call. It was so me company that started with a Z. Dont remember exactly now ~ that has been almost 14 - 15 years ago. But yes they will rip you anyway they can. I bet alot of military peeps families where poed when they got the bill from those calls. ( All his buddies got to call home too that night) I am sorry for you!!

kriskay
07-16-2004, 05:42 PM
That is outrageous!!!!!!!!!!!!! I would be reporting it to everyone I could!!!!!!!

stresseater
07-16-2004, 05:48 PM
Free enterprise at it's worst huh. Sorry you got took, convience charges can REALLY eat up the money. :( :(

peaceluver
07-16-2004, 06:05 PM
I just had to pay my mother $57.77 for 2 phone calls. Both calls were less then 3 mins apiece. They were collect calls. I think that the phone company is just going overboard with fees.

Tasha405
07-16-2004, 08:18 PM
:eek: That's just crazy! I would complain to everyone too.

hotwire
07-16-2004, 09:12 PM
Oh my gawd! where did you call? the MOON!? thats insane!

i do have to laugh tho.....that line you wrote about "have been getting screwed by COX the past 2 months"....i find Hilarious! im sorry...its just my sick, warped mind!

I hope you can get this straightened out. what ever happened to the rates being posted on the phone? and jeez...where ever did you find a pay phone! i thought they were extinct!

Unicornmom77
07-16-2004, 09:26 PM
Whoa thats insane!! I am glad you got some of the money back. Wow, I cannot believe that!!

andreame70
07-16-2004, 10:08 PM
I don't know if it will work or not, but you might want to dispute the charge with your credit card company. I remember reading somewhere that the rates are supposed to be listed on a sticker or sign somewhere near or attached to pay phones. I believe it is a law now. Anyway, if I were you I would dispute the charge and tell the credit card company that no signs were listed to display rate information and tell them also that the long distance company even agreed that you were overcharged. You have proof of that because they reduced the original charge by $20. Hopefully it will work. Good luck!

Andrea

mandapoo
07-16-2004, 10:15 PM
That really bites about the phone bill. I had no idea!! My son's father was stationed in Hawaii and he charged a phone call to my son here in VA... lasted about an hour and he said it was almost $500. I thought he was lying!!

Have been getting screwed by COX for the past 2 mo. --got digital phone & cable internet from them that only works half the time--I am sooo tired of customer service reps I could scream.

Oh no! You really have me scared now! I've had cox high speed for about 3 years now, and only problems one time. BUT, I just had the digital phone service installed TODAY. Crossing my fingers that I don't have problems too.

hotwheelstx
07-16-2004, 10:34 PM
Isn't it unbelieveable????

When we first moved into our house (we didn't have long distance)....so, I called and charged it to my mom's phone-w/her permission. SHE WAS SHOCKED WHEN THE BILL CAME 5 mins and the bill was $68.00. Calling from Texas to Florida.

NEVER AGAIN. Glad you got some of it taken off your bill. I HATE THE PHONE COMPANY. :confused: :confused: :confused:

lynde
07-17-2004, 08:04 AM
OMG!!!! I didn't even think about how that sounded- :p :p :p LMAO!!!!!

Oh my gawd! where did you call? the MOON!? thats insane!

i do have to laugh tho.....that line you wrote about "have been getting screwed by COX the past 2 months"....i find Hilarious! im sorry...its just my sick, warped mind!

I hope you can get this straightened out. what ever happened to the rates being posted on the phone? and jeez...where ever did you find a pay phone! i thought they were extinct!