PDA

View Full Version : Help!

MistyWolf
07-16-2004, 11:59 AM
My dog got skunked early this morning. He's been outside since 3AM! (with food and water of course) .. any tips on how to de-scent him? TIA.

Lora_1994
07-16-2004, 12:06 PM
give him a bath in tomato juice, should work for ya

glad its you and not me...j/k
I feel for you and the poor pooch

rlynn411
07-16-2004, 12:06 PM
I've heard that bathing in tomato juice helps. You might call a vets office and see if theres anything they reccomend using.

Airbuswife
07-16-2004, 12:57 PM
happened to mine too recently! i found a remedy online that works for me, it's a bottle of peroxide and a box of baking soda. Yes, they foam, but it really worked for me. :)

Good luck!!

brumzoo
07-16-2004, 12:58 PM
These three websites give the same ingredients for a better skunk odor remover than tomato juice. You can put a few drops of mineral oil in your dog's eyes to help if some accidently gets in them.

http://dan.drydog.com/patsyann/skunk.html
http://www.dogbreedinfo.com/skunk.htm
http://www.pets.ca/pettips/tips-51.htm
Here's another way to get rid of skunk smell. It is reputed to be better than the tomato juice method.

Ingredients:
1 quart (or liter) of never opened 3% Hydrogen Peroxide available in most drug stores.
1/4 cup (50 ml.) of Baking Soda
1 teaspoon (5 ml.) of liquid dish soap

Using a pair of rubber gloves mix the ingredients together IN AN OPEN container like a bucket and watch it get fizz up. Try to see where your pet got hit and rub the mixture well into the fur while avoiding the eyes, and other sensitive parts like the nose and mouth. Let it stay on for 5 minutes or longer if the smell keeps lingering. Rinse extra well. This usually works well once but you may need to do this twice if your pet took a particularly nasty spraying. The solution will not change the colour of your pet's fur. DO NOT STORE or REUSE MIXTURE as it will build up pressure in a closed container and possibly explode. Dump it all after using it once.

If after your best attempts at bathing and cleaning your pet is still very uncomfortable, especially regarding its eyes (red, watery) then a trip to the vets is a must.

peaceluver
07-16-2004, 04:53 PM
This made me think of last night. I went to spend some time with my DD during evening worship at her church camp. About 9pm I left and as I was driving down the road saw something moving. I slowed down and there in the middle of the road is this small skunk. It looks at the car and then turns around and flips its tail up. LOL I had the hardest time backing up from laughing, but I wasnt taking any chances. It stood there acouple of minutes and then calmly walked into the bushes on the side. After we drove past I told my friend we should have got a picture.

DaLilPeachy
07-16-2004, 05:24 PM
well?? does he still stink?

bell_peaches
07-16-2004, 06:18 PM
ok really embarassing to buy but my vet told me to use vagisil masigin (sp?) douches. I went and bought 4 double packs and it really does work . You do have to buy the viniger and water one. when I went and bought them the cashier just took a look at the order and the look on her face made me burst out laughing I told them what they were for and she started to laugh. She must have thought I had a mager problem or something.lol I had to give my dog 4 of those baths she just loved to chace skunks. I dreaded going to the store every time she caught one.lol better to go buy them then smell that.lol

MistyWolf
07-18-2004, 04:45 AM
Thank you everyone .. Sorry I didn't post yesterday, but I wasn't online.

I left him out all day/night on Friday .. I went to a friends wedding and got home about 3:30 AM .. it was raining outside and I had to let him in, but he didn't stink anymore ??? I know for a fact he got sprayed but the smell is gone.

Thanks to everyone for the advice .. if it happens again, which it better not, lol .. I will try one of the above.