PDA

View Full Version : Freakin' dental problems.

MelanieAnn
07-12-2004, 04:31 PM
The whole right side of my mouth has been hurting since Friday night. It's been hurting so bad that I stayed in bed almost the whole weekend. I finally got to see the dentist this afternoon. Turns out I have an infection, so he wrote a RX for Penicillin. Well, I desperately need work done on one of my bottom teeth on the right side. Which is one of the teeth hurting the most. Because of the infection, the lidocaine/novacaine would have no effect... so I have to wait 2 whole weeks to get anything done about it. Bottom line... either $464 to get a root canal/cast/core/post/crown, or $18 to get the tooth pulled. I don't have $464 so I am going to have it pulled. :( They have a credit plan for dental work, I applied for that and of course got denied. *sigh* So I have antibiotics and painkillers to take for one whole week, my appointment isn't for 2 weeks. So I guess the pain better go away once the infection goes away or I'm $crewed.

Also, the Darvoset is making me drowsy already. Don't know how I'm going to watch the kids very easily all drugged up.

Enough of my whining, I'm probably going to pass out in half an hour.

:( :o

Denise1972
07-12-2004, 06:03 PM
I am so sorry! I know all to well how tooth pain is. If you do run out of darvocet, just call your dentist. I am sure they will give you another refill. ((((hugs)))) I had to have 8 teeth surgically removed last september. Luckily I only had to pay $160 for the anesthesia and the shot for the swelling during surgery. I have to go back to the dentist on Aug 5th. I am tempted to have them all yanked out. I am 31 and going to be bald in the mouth hehe.

MelanieAnn
07-12-2004, 06:12 PM
Thanks Denise. :)

The Darvoset is starting to kick in... I feel kind of dizzy, and I felt nauseous for 20 minutes... the aching is pretty much gone, but it still hurts when I eat or drink, since it applies pressure when I go to swallow. Still better than it has been the past 3 days I guess.

I am only wondering how I got an infection in my tooth. :confused: Oh well. *Hoping the Penicillin works quickly...*

Denise1972
07-12-2004, 06:16 PM
It can happen. I got an infection from an impacted wisdom tooth. I thought I was going to die from the pain. I was on the road so all I had was Aleve, which didnt help.

Try to eat some jello or drink some milk with the darvocet. It will help with the upset tummy. I have to take that stuff all the time for pain in my back.

iluvmybaby
07-12-2004, 06:20 PM
I had a broken molar tooth and it turned abcessed, I was on medication for roughily two weeks ahead of time and the novicane had NO effect on me when the dentist tried to pull it, can you imagine pulling a tooth with no novicane? Talk about pain! I ended up going to a oral surgeon instead of it costing me $50 to get it pulled it was much much much more. You have had to be sent to an oral surgeon because if the infection was bad enough your tooth my break and the novicane may not work

MelanieAnn
07-12-2004, 06:27 PM
Ugh, I guess it's a good thing my appt. isn't for 2 weeks. It better work by then, grrr, I don't think I can handle this for that long. And I don't need to get addicted to painkillers either. :eek:

Now I definately can't forget to take a dose.

Denise, would you recommend taking it before I go to bed, or would it kind of not matter... since by the time I wake up it'll have lost its effect? Don't want to waste one of these expensive little pills, lol.

Denise1972
07-12-2004, 07:05 PM
Yes, it may make you feel better while you are sleeping. Otherwise the pain will keep you awake. They last between 4 and 6 hours. Those darn things can be expensive. Luckily my insurance pays 100%

justme23
07-12-2004, 09:12 PM
Don't fret too much... I've had broken teeth pulled and the novacaine worked just fine! And not all oral surgeons are horendously expensive, I had ALL of my teeth pulled more than a year ago and it cost me less than 100 bucks, but he did it in a way so that my insurance payed for all of it but the demerol to knock me out.

I spent more than 6 years taking antibiotics for abcessed teeth and pain killers... I tell you what worked better than pain killers... nyquil... now don't get me wrong, I loved the pain killers but it got to the point where they didn't put me to sleep... generic nyquil from walmart would put me to sleep in no time flat... and just ask my hubby about the pain I was in... I had an abcess so freakin bad one day, it was kind of funny cause were in the doctors office for a physical for my husband and the nurses could hear me screaming at my husband to stop telling me to (bleep) relax... I mean, I was about ready to find a way to knock the tooth out of my head on my own w/ anything I could get my hands on... his doctor came in and gave me drugs right then... I was crying so bad and they thought I was going freakin nuts but it was all from an abcessed tooth. It was pain like even I had never felt after so many years of dealing w/ it... I thought my head would explode... his doctor gave me somethin ... did his physical real quick and then sent us home... the meds he gave me calmed me down enough to stop screaming but I still had to come home and take nyquil so I could sleep it off.

Anyways, the antibiotics will work in no time and don't let the dentist guilt you in to a root canal... they are by far the most expensive procedure to save ONE tooth so if you can live w/out it just get rid of it... MOST root canals have to be redone after about 10 years anyway... I wish you luck, this'll be all over before you know it!

DBackFan
07-12-2004, 09:37 PM
Hey Mel, TAKE the anitbiotics and the pain WILL lessen I promise. In fact it may go away completely but dont let it fool you into not having it pulled. Usually an infection starts because a tooth dies and abcesses. I have had several removed here lately and its not fun. :(

MelanieAnn
07-12-2004, 10:46 PM
Thanks you gals. :)
I hope you're right. I am moving on up from applesauce, I had some rice for diner! lol

I guess I'll be taking a painkiller and goin' to bed now. Goodnight!!!

moogle
07-13-2004, 08:57 AM
You can take Ibuprofen with the darvocet and antibiotics.
I was just on the same regime a few weeks ago.
The combination of darvocet and ibuprofen worked a lot better for
me than the darvocet alone.

Hope you feel better!!!

ttistin
07-13-2004, 10:06 AM
I know how you feel, Not to long ago that is how my tooth was. I just got approved from my insurance for an oral surgan to pull my 3 wisdom teeth, going to get this done at the end of this month. I am nervous about it but I will be happy not to have it hurting anymore :)

The anitbiotics will help with the pain, but it will take a few days before it really kicks in. For me the pain got worse before it got better, boy wasnt that fun :( But it will work, just takes a little time. I am glad they gave you something for pain, my dentest didnt :(

MelanieAnn
07-14-2004, 03:00 AM
arghhhhhhhhh it's been a long day and night.

got nauseous from the medicine again and threw up in toys'r us lol... that was fun. so i called the dentist office and they called in an RX for tylenol 3.. so I guess I'll try taking the t3 during the day. if it doesn't work I'll just be eating very light for the next cuple weeks.

I know how you mean about it getting worse before better, it has been hurting like heck tonight. Took a pill like every 3 hours today, and I still wanted to take it every 2 or so. Got to pick up the tylenol 3 in the morning (was out of town today).. so we'll see how that goes.

Time for me to take the express ride to sleepyland. :eek:

Thanks for the replies, I don't feel so alone. ;)