PDA

View Full Version : That bum munch who played his music super loud till 12:30 am

DivineMsDi
07-11-2004, 09:55 AM
This is a vent for my husband and I. Yesterday we went w/our son to the amusement park and came home wiped out. Our son has allergies and was up every night choking, so we haven't slept much. Last night we looked forward to finally getting some zzzzzzzs. Well, some jerk behind our house or down the road started playing LOUD music about 8:30 pm. By 11, I figured they'd shut it off. Well, it was louder and louder and got progressively worse. I love Celtic music (my husband is English) but playing Irish folk songs (and bad ones at that) at midnight is definitely NOT ON....My dh was so angry, he shut all our windows and skylights and went to sleep on the sofa.

He was ready to call the cops.

I am not anti-parties. It was Saturday night. But isn't there some noise cut off time? Do people have any sense of fairness? I am sure plenty of people work Sunday mornings or go to church and playing music excessively loud till almost 1 am is really rude. :mad:

We both have headaches this morning..I was up by 6 am...(habit).

ang in NC
07-11-2004, 12:01 PM
I know around here I think it is 2 am ,I agree w/ you. What gets me is the bunch next door they park in front of our house when they have their get to get togethers. Every time their car doors shut the dogs bark!!

schsa
07-11-2004, 12:17 PM
It's midnight where I live. I would have called the police and had them turn it down. Loud is not necessarily lovely.

Willow
07-11-2004, 02:32 PM
In my area any loud noise after 10:00pm is considered disturbing the peace. There is no reason why anyone has to play their music that loud especially at that time of the night.

sahmsfreeb
07-11-2004, 02:44 PM
i find that playing the total opposite of what the offensive player is playing works.... IE: they play rap i play polkas.. they play mexicano music i play "sweet home alabama" over and over and over...

if find that playing the same song over and over and over again also has the same desired effects...

that and waiting until oh say 9 am when the hangover starts for the offendee and play "bringing in the sheeves" full blast.... or banging pots and pans outside of his house yelling "Bring Out Your Dead"

i feel for you... i hate noise after a certain time... i am a police caller myself....

cookiegirl
07-11-2004, 03:14 PM
I know exactly how you feel. I live in a condo and the one behind me, which is balcony to balcony with me, is a rental, every sixth months new people. my room is right next to the balcony. These people go out on the balcony and laugh and talk and play their music till 2-3 in the morning. I have to get up for work at 4:30 am.
I have complained to the assoiation, they do nothing. next time i will be calling the police. It makes me crazy when i get no sleep and then have to go to work.
People are very rude and inconsiderate.
When I came home from the store today, someone was parked in my space. I went to the condo which is for sale, I asked the lady if it was her van in my spot, she states that is the spot for this condo, 1097, I tell her no you are in mine, she tells me s he wll be out in a minute, she finally comes out looks at the number and says oh yeah you are right, put your car in my space i will be leaving soon. Can you imagine. I tell her no move your van.
I really have to move!

suprtruckr
07-11-2004, 04:21 PM
here it's anything that can be heard beyond 50 feet anytime of day, new STATE law ;)

from July 10, 2004 Chattanooga Times Free Press
Play your rap, rock ’n’ roll, but quietly

By Megan Greenwell Staff Writer

The police officer heard 17-year-old Hunter Lawhorn before he saw him.
With a $2,000 custom car stereo blasting a favorite rap album, the rising senior at Soddy-Daisy High School got pulled over for violating that city’s noise ordinance at 11:30 one night after he played in a football game.
"You can probably hear my stereo close to a mile away when I turn it up," Hunter said. "It can get pretty loud."
Hunter was given only a warning, but beginning this month he and others with a taste for loud music have a new noise law to worry about. Sounds "plainly audible" more than 50 feet from a vehicle now can earn a driver a Class C misdemeanor and a $50 fine under Tennessee law .
Chattanooga and many surrounding municipalities have local noise ordinances, but most are lenient compared to the new state law . In Hunter’s hometown of Soddy-Daisy, a general noise ordinance states people cannot "annoy or disturb the quiet comfort or repose" of residents between 11 p.m. and 7 a.m., according to City Recorder Sara Burris.
Chattanooga’s noise ordinance, which specifies unlawful decibel levels based on time of day, also will be superseded by the state legislation. City police now will enforce the state law , although officials said most first offenders likely will get off with a warning.
"I’m glad there’s a major state bill now," said Suzann Loker, a Collegedale resident who said she often is disturbed by music from passing cars. "It’s offensive to me and my family to hear someone’s rap music rattling our windows when they’re driving by."
Hunter said he recognizes that loud music late at night is a disturbance to many of his neighbors, and now he tries to be more courteous. Still, he said, the state law is too harsh.
"I don’t understand why I can’t play my music in the middle of the day," he said. "Even people with little door speakers can be heard from more than 50 feet when they turn it up."
But state Rep. Mike McDonald, D-Portland, said the new legislation is necessary to protect people in rural areas without noise ordinances from being disturbed. Rep. McDonald said he sponsored the bill after hearing from a constituent who lived along a rural highway and frequently was bothered by loud music.
"I don’t care what people put in their cars as long as they don’t disturb other people," he said.
The bill passed the House in a 59-29 vote, although some representatives raised concerns that the law could aid racial profiling. A spokeswoman for the Racial Profiling Data Collection Center at Northeastern University said the center would monitor the number of citations issued over the next several months to make sure the law is applied fairly.
State Rep. Tommie Brown, D-Chattanooga and the chairwoman of the legislative black caucus, said questions of racial profiling did not diminish her support for the bill.
"Sometimes you have to look at the greatest good for the greatest number," she said. "I tend not to look at this as a profiling issue, and I cannot get my rest at night because of the loud thumping noises I hear."
The owners of several local car stereo installation shops said their business will be hurt by the new law . Doug Bruggink, owner of Noise Pollution in Hixson, said he expects many parents to keep their children from buying custom stereo systems.
Mr. Bruggink said he is "not going to sell as much" when parents hear about the new law . "They’re not going to allow kids to spend the money they earned at Winn-Dixie to buy what they want to buy," he said. Lee Lowry, owner of the Radio Clinic on Lee Highway, said he is worried that he will lose business on his most expensive pieces of equipment. "A lot of people do abuse the privilege of having a nice stereo," he said. "But I’ve got to worry about selling my products, and this is going to hurt."
E-mail Megan Greenwell at mgreenwell@timesfreepress.com

hotwire
07-11-2004, 05:00 PM
I know exactly how you feel.......only difference is......i have to listen to the dog behind me barking at all hours! all day, any day, every day. barks at anything, everything, and nothing!

quiet time here is after 10 pm...apparently the dog cant tell time. lol

amysusi
07-11-2004, 07:51 PM
here it's anything that can be heard beyond 50 feet anytime of day, new STATE law ;)

I love that law already!!! Wish we had it here.