PDA

View Full Version : Using Marijuana During Pregnancy

Candice
07-10-2004, 10:51 PM
About a week ago I found out that my brother's girlfriend has been smoking marijuana and she's about 4 months pregnant. She's been smoking since before she found out she was pregnant. So, I was wondering how will that effect the baby? I don't know if it's like, the same thing as cigarette smoke or what. :confused: She has a one year old right now and she's been getting high with the baby in the room with her. I know it's wrong but I don't know what to do, or if I even should do something. I feel like I should but it's not really my place. If something horrible is going to happen because she's using it then I'll talk to her about it but maybe she knows and doesn't care, I really don't know. I haven't asked her about it because I don't think it's my business since they're her kids. I'm hoping that it won't effect either of the children that much but since I have no idea, I came here! TIA!

YankeeMary
07-10-2004, 11:33 PM
= I feel like I should but it's not really my place. !

Then who's place is it? The nurses in the neonatal unit that is doing everything they can to keep the child alive once its born? Of course it can hurt the baby and way worse then cig smoke. Report her for the unborn childs sake as well as for the other child she has. You are the Aunt of that baby it is YOUR place.

annie169
07-10-2004, 11:38 PM
Drugs are Drugs. That baby, when (and if) its born, it going to suffer withdrawels.

Smoking marijuana during pregnancy may affect your baby's growth and nervous system. Studies have shown that children who were exposed to marijuana during pregnancy sometimes have problems focusing their attention and difficulty in problem-solving. Children of heavy pot users may have disturbances in their short-term memory, concentration, and judgment. (There's no evidence so far, however, that marijuana use during pregnancy causes attention deficit hyperactivity disorder).

What's more, there's no way to know if the pot you're smoking has been laced with other drugs (such as PCP) or contaminated with pesticides, which puts your baby at even higher risk. And using marijuana increases the risk that your baby will have birth defects if you're also drinking alcohol or smoking cigarettes.http://tm.wc.ask.com/r?t=c&s=a&id=30780&sv=za5cb0db2&uid=028C6C49CECF98904&sid=1CFCE741F06FD0F04&p=%2flinks&o=0&u=http://www.babycenter.com/expert/pregnancy/prenatalhealth/2490.html

Evidence has shown that the effects of maternal marijuana smoking on the unborn child are, at most, about the same as those of maternal tobacco smoking...... According to a fact sheet published by the NIDA, pregnant women who smoke cigarettes run an increased risk of having stillborn or premature infants or infants with low birthweight. Children of women who smoked while pregnant have an increased risk for developing conduct disorders

Hope this helps you some.

Candice
07-10-2004, 11:40 PM
If I do report it, what'll happen to the kids? There are alot of drugs in that house. Mostly marijuana but I know sometimes they have speed there. There are 3 other kids that live there. I've thought about reporting them before but I love her mom and I don't want to get her in trouble but... I really don't want to see anything happen to any of those children. And I really don't want to see my niece in foster care. But... I want her to be healthy too. This is such a complicated issue for me because there's so much involved in it.

YankeeMary, thanks for your response! A little tough but I needed it, thanks!

YankeeMary
07-10-2004, 11:47 PM
You are welcome and I wasn't trying to be tough just honest. I think its such a shame that women are willing to do this while pregant as well as in front of their kids. By there being speed in that place that is all the more reason to turn her in, it only takes a second for a little hand to grab one of those pills and swallow it, then what??? I will say a pray for all involved but that unborn child deserves better. (as do the other children)

annie169
07-10-2004, 11:48 PM
ok...do you live in the same household?? If not, are you financially able to step in and take guardianship of the children? I see you're in California. This state is so desperate for foster homes, they'd probably let you have temporary custody of your niece. I don't know tho. Good luck. Its such a tough, tough thing, but the children deserve a better chance/life than what their mother is giving them. But thats my opinion. My god, could you see a child getting a hold of a needle and stabbing themselves accidently, but the drugs entering into their systems enough to possibly kill them??

I used to work ER in Utah and a lil boy died in there from accidental overdose of speed.....because the needle was out and he'd seen his parents getting high. These are harsh words, but the truth and too many people turn their backs in blindness thinking "it wouldnt happen there".

Candice
07-10-2004, 11:59 PM
[QUOTE=annie169]ok...do you live in the same household?? If not, are you financially able to step in and take guardianship of the children? I see you're in California. This state is so desperate for foster homes, they'd probably let you have temporary custody of your niece. QUOTE]

No, no, no... I would never raise my daughter around drugs. I don't even like taking her over there to visit because of it. Financially, we could take care of another child... Me and my BF have talked about it before and he's okay with it, and I, of course would have no problem with it but I just don't know how that would work. They aren't married so I don't know how that would work out legally. I talked to my mom about this and she said they would try and give the baby to her birth mother first. She said her foster mom (the woman she lives with) couldn't get her because they live in the same house. Am I confusing anybody yet? I'm trying to keep it simple but it's complicated. I would take my niece in a heartbeat but.... I just don't know. I really don't want to see this new baby suffer from drugs but another thing I was worried about is them testing the baby after it's born. On what grounds would they do that? I doubt they drug test every new baby that's born... but I wish they would. It would kill me to have my family in foster care with strangers but... at least she'd be safe, right?

Quaker_Parrots
07-11-2004, 06:27 AM
Does your brother live in the house? If no, why couldn't he get custody? and you and your mom help with the baby? (or am I missing something here?)

Angelseyes28
07-11-2004, 06:45 AM
Ok please don't think I am being rude here but I have to say this as simply as possible....

Screw worrying about anyone other than those babies! They aren't able defend themselves, so they have to depend on someone else to stand up not only for their rights but also for their welfare! Again, I know this came off as being harsh, but that wasn't my intent.

nanajoanie
07-11-2004, 06:53 AM
I woman I know used mary-jane in front of her kids and also had a meth lab in the house with her 5 kids present. A relative reported her, police raided, kids are all with other relatives permanently. 2 of them are retarded because of all the smoke they got into their lungs and brains. The kids are all doing better now.

Next door used to be a "drug store". The guy was a dealer, higher than a kite. The son started smoking and got caught when he took some to school to show his friends. He was in 4th grade. That's when the school officials stepped in and now the family is still in counceling 5 years later. The marriage ended. they moved. The neighborhood is quiet and safe again. This case the social workers came to all the neighbors for input on the family so I told them everything I saw and knew. Then they scolded me for being silent.

So hon, please speak up. Those children have no choice but the mother (I use that term loosely) does - to stop or not. Please report this immediately. And good luck.

LindaL.
07-11-2004, 07:11 AM
'Evidence has shown that the effects of maternal marijuana smoking on the unborn child are, at most, about the same as those of maternal tobacco smoking...... According to a fact sheet published by the NIDA, pregnant women who smoke cigarettes run an increased risk of having stillborn or premature infants or infants with low birthweight. Children of women who smoked while pregnant have an increased risk for developing conduct disorders "

If its just marijuana then honestly its like reporting someone for smoking ciggaretes. Yeah it bothers you but its up to the mother to do something about it. Most of us don't say much when we see a pregnant women smoke a ciggerate... if we do say something it usually falls on death ears. Is she doing other drugs? Does she smoke it a lot? or just occasionally. A lot of people I've known who have smoked during pregancy did it to help them get over their nausea. Now I come from a very pro marijuana area, Santa Cruz, CA: so my opininons definitly stray from the norm but I've also seen the use first hand. I've grown up with kids who parents smoked so much weed they didn't know what to do... The kids turned out fine. Its a judgement call. Why don't you talk to her if it bothers you so much and find out if she is in fact smoking, how much and what other drugs if any are involved.

bell_peaches
07-11-2004, 07:58 AM
Talk to your brother. If you can you and mom talk to him together. Find out what she is useing and how often. Ask him if he aproves of this . If things are not going well tell him you will have to report it. Make sure he knows you are only reporting it because you are concerned about the babies. Mabey he is feeling the same way you are. Make sure you have some littiture on hand to show him what can be happening to his child and the other children. Make him feel concerned for all the babies. If things go bad and he gets mad make surre you tell him I love you and I only want what is best for the kids and their future . Then after the talk report her if thats the route you are going to take. I would report her only after I talked to my brother and explained why I was doing it. Its not to hurt him only to help him and the baby. Stress you do this out of love. Tell him if it was anyone else doing this to the babies you would have reported it right away but you wanted to give them a chance to change their lives around for the childrens sake. I wish you luck. If you don't want to tell your db then call the police and report it anonimously (SP?) Be prepared it may put a big riff between you and your brother. Remember you are doing it for the babies. Good luck and Prayers

Freebeemom
07-11-2004, 08:04 AM
"Screw worrying about anyone other than those babies! They aren't able defend themselves, so they have to depend on someone else to stand up not only for their rights but also for their welfare! "

I totally agree with that above statement.

My DH's uncle did A LOT of drugs w/his common law wife/girlfriend..But mostly Crack and Pot (Crackpot's...YES!).I finally reported them b.c they had 4 children and dh's grandma. The kids went to foster care (As all 4 are not the uncle's) and the g ma lived w/us for over a month before she found a place to go. It was horrible what the family went through, but I know that the kids are better off...the family is not very close w/us as it is more than a generation's difference. I learned of elderly abuse as well (Through the grandmother) This woman was being hit, pushed, and forced to babysitt 4 children under the age of 5 when the parents were off doing drugs. We got the Uncle a great job, hoping he would just get his life together and it never worked. LONG Story, but we don't have any contact with any of them now...noone ever found out it was me who reported them....mainly b/c there were so many problems in the house that ANYONE would have or SHOULD HAVE called. Yes, I felt bad at first...breaking up a "family"...but in reality, this was not even close to a family. Have you seen "Trainspotting"? There is a sceen w/a mom SO HIGH that she neglects the baby...it is horrifying.

You can, however, call the Dr's office and speak to the DR about the situation. 3 of the 4 children born to my dh's uncle have definate delay's and speach problems due to drug use during pregnancy.

PLEASE CONDISDER REPORTING! YOU ARE SAVING MANY LIVES here!!!

gemini26
07-11-2004, 08:05 AM
Drugs are bad no matter how you look at it. Kids around drugs is not a good thing. Those that know kids are around drugs and do nothing about it is a sorry excuse for a human being. Harsh yes! Do I apologize, No! Get those kids out of there today!!

MistyWolf
07-11-2004, 08:18 AM
Cigarette smoking and pot smoking during pregnancy do not have the same effects .. I totally disagree with that statement.. Pot is a hallucinogen and cigarette's aren't. And pot it much more worse for your lungs that cigarette's, so think of that unborn child who has to breath that in!

Your brother and his g/f both need to be slapped! And slapped hard. And you definitely have every right in the world to step in .. you are the Aunt and those children are in harm. Don't worry about what anyone thinks .. just do what is right for the children.

sdmay3
07-11-2004, 10:01 AM
I hve an Aunt that smoked marijuana during both of her pregnancies and around the babies after they were born. Now both of those kids are adults and both are extremely slow. The girl was able to graduate high school but she has the mentality of a 14 year old. The boy is clueless about everything. He tried to go in the Army but they wouldn't take him. Most likely he will never amount to anything and that is a shame because it isn't his fault. My Aunt has been clean for a few years now but her mind is so far gone she doesn't even see what she did to her kids. I was a child at the time too so I didn't really understand what was going on.

If there are drugs in that house you need to report it. A toddler does not know the difference between a pill and a piece of candy. If he/she were to accidentally get ahold of something it could kill them. That is just not worth the risk.

Candice
07-11-2004, 11:16 AM
Thanks for everybody's responses. Someone said that me and my mom should get together and take care of this child but it would just be me and my boyfriend because this isn't my mom's son and she doesn't really know this family.

I'm not worried about what people will think, I could care less if they're PO'd at me (ok, I will care but there are more important things), I'm worried about the other children. There are 3 other kids in that house that aren't in that room and as far as I know, they only get high in their bedroom with their own daughter.

My brother's an idiot. Plain and simple... when I was pregnant, he told me I should get high so my daughter wouldn't do drugs when she got older. :rolleyes: They get high together... she gives him the money and he goes and gets the drugs. Neither of them work, she hasn't seen a doctor and she's already 4 months...

And yeah, maybe I am a sorry excuse for human being... :rolleyes: That's why I'm here now trying to find help, right? Thanks.

Freebeemom
07-11-2004, 11:33 AM
"And yeah, maybe I am a sorry excuse for human being... That's why I'm here now trying to find help, right? Thanks."

No way man! You are excellent for trying to do the right thing!
Best of luck to you!!

Candice
07-11-2004, 11:39 AM
"And yeah, maybe I am a sorry excuse for human being... That's why I'm here now trying to find help, right? Thanks."

No way man! You are excellent for trying to do the right thing!
Best of luck to you!!
Thank you!!

sdmay3
07-11-2004, 02:42 PM
Just another thought...

Even if the kids are not in the room while they are getting high....How well are these kids being taken care of while the adults are high?

Several years ago i used to get drunk and would occasionally get high. (I probably shouldn't be telling poeple this, but I need to in order to make my point. I never drank or got high around or in the same house as my kidse). Anyway one New Years Eve we wer having a party at our house. This night I was not drinking because I was busy playing hostess. There were adults and kids at this party. We had teenagers upstairs taking care of the kids. One of my best friends was dancing. Her little boy came downstairs and she was so drunk that she fell on top of him. Another woman at the party left to run home to get a bottle of some type of alcoholic drink..can't remember what. After a few hours she still hadn't come back. I was ticked off because I ended up having to watch her kids. Finally I sent someone to her house to make sure she was ok. She was still sitting in her car in her driveway passed out. Apparently she had stopped somewhere on the way home and got high.

After this night I never got high again and have only had an occasional drink. This night scared me. I never wanted to be in the position that I was too impaired to care for my children. Being sober that night allowed me to see clearly how poeple really act when under the influence.

My mother remarried after her and my father divorced. She had 2 more children. Eventually her and her 2nd husband split up. While she got herself together her husband kept the kids. One night he was high and drunk and he passed out on the couch. The house caught on fire and one of my brothers was KILLED! They don't know if the father fell asleep with a cigarette in his mouth or if one of the boys was playing with matches. My brother that survived has been in and out of prison his whole adult life. His mind is completely screwed up because of that night.

Please do whatever you can do to get all of those kids out of that house!

MamaFairal
07-11-2004, 03:26 PM
Time for Mama to step in:
Hi i am a recovering addict nice to meet ya :)

I used Meth for over 10 yr as if it was the air i needed to breathe.At my worst and heaviest time i was using an 8ball a day(ALOT)

I laid down for a nap one sunday afternoon after having been on a "HIGH"(awake) for 22 days straight(yess 22) I passed out for 5 days waking on friday night. I had custody of my two daughters ages the 8 & 4 at the time.
The oldest took care of her younger sister for 5 days staying home from school, avoiding answering the phone when school called(caller ID) and making sure i was breathing. I would not or could not wake up for the life of me.How i didnt lose my children is a miracle to this day. Anyone who came by could have taken them away and i wouldnt have known. The memories my kids can tell you from the time i used would boggle you and sound unreal....for real!

That was ten yrs ago. I have been clean now for 10 yrs and am very anti-drug. I will not put up with someone using around me period!!!

DO SOMETHING PLEASE> SAVE THESE KIDS> YOUR THE ONLY ONE WHO CAN!

kimp67
07-11-2004, 05:38 PM
I know quite a few ppl that smoked pot while preggo & all of their babies/kids are fine. There were no other drugs involved though.

gemini26
07-11-2004, 09:16 PM
I am not really sorry if you took offense to my comment. Why would you be coming to a public forum for advice about something so important. When you saw it you should have reported it right then and there. An entire day is wasted now with those children in harms way.

Jeepgirl74
07-11-2004, 10:13 PM
If I do report it, what'll happen to the kids?

They'll have a chance at a decent/normal/drug-free life.

Tell someone in authority. Now.

Candice
07-11-2004, 11:08 PM
I am not really sorry if you took offense to my comment. Why would you be coming to a public forum for advice about something so important. When you saw it you should have reported it right then and there. An entire day is wasted now with those children in harms way.

Yes, I know you're not sorry, you said that the first time. I don't really care what you think so please don't reply to this thread again. I've made my decision thanks to everybody else on here that's helped. I really appreciate everyone taking the time to help me and answer my questions. :)

justme23
07-11-2004, 11:10 PM
I would just like to say first and foremost... it is WRONG and it IS your place to say something... you may be that childs ONLY hope.

I have a cousin that smoked all through both of her pregnancies (weed and cigarettes)... her children excelled faster than any child I have met to date... but she is an exception. My husband has worked in several hospitals and could tell you stories upon stories about babies who are born addicted to drugs. If you don't want to report her, tell someone else so they can. If that fails, let this woman know that she can go to prison if her child is born addicted... it happens every day in this country!

I wish you luck, I know for me it wouldn't be a hard situation... I would report her quick like... I hope you can find the courage to do the same!

Candice
07-11-2004, 11:12 PM
They'll have a chance at a decent/normal/drug-free life.

Tell someone in authority. Now.
I know they'll have a better life but I was asking more about placement. I wanted to know if they'd atleast let the children stay with family that isn't in that house. All together 4 kids live in that house, 1 is the people that are doing the drugs and the other 3 are someone else's kids. I wasn't sure if they'd take them all or just their one...

Candice
07-11-2004, 11:16 PM
I wish you luck, I know for me it wouldn't be a hard situation... I would report her quick like... I hope you can find the courage to do the same!

Thanks, I've decided to report it. I was going to try and talk to her mother since it's her house and tell her that if she didn't make them stop (because I believe she can considering it's her house) I'd report it but I've decided to just go ahead and report it because I'd rather them not know it's me. Although, I'm sure it'll come out eventually...

twinkiesmom
07-12-2004, 12:02 AM
Thanks, I've decided to report it.

good for u!

wubbywa
07-12-2004, 05:38 AM
They dont have to check blood to find drugs in a new born. When that little child comes into this world shaking or dazed out they know. I know you dont want that do you? Its a miracle to have a healthy baby why would someone want to mess with that?

Angelseyes28
07-12-2004, 06:21 AM
Thanks, I've decided to report it. I was going to try and talk to her mother since it's her house and tell her that if she didn't make them stop (because I believe she can considering it's her house) I'd report it but I've decided to just go ahead and report it because I'd rather them not know it's me. Although, I'm sure it'll come out eventually...
Good for you! Please keep us updated on how things go:)

MamaFairal
07-12-2004, 07:55 AM
Thanks, I've decided to report it

Good for you...keep us posted how they're all doing....brother included ok
{{prayers & hugs}} that everything works out

gemini26
07-12-2004, 08:17 AM
Glad you finally decided to do something aboout it. Hopefully you will be reporting back today that you did in fact report what is going on and that those children are getting out of that house. Now if only DSS does their job!!

Freebeemom
07-12-2004, 08:22 AM
Good for you. I know that it is scary, but you are doing the right thing! Please let us know what happens!!

Someday, the children will thank you!

Willow
07-12-2004, 08:32 AM
If she does report it today that doesn't mean the kids will be taken out of the home today. They will have to decide if it's going to be screened in or not and then it will be passed on to a social worker who will then need to make an appointment to go out to the home and do an investigation. Once the social worker completes the investigation she must report back to her supervisor with any findings and then write a letter explaining whether or not they are going to support it and that takes a couple of weeks. At least that is how it works here.

Both my neighbor and I have called to make an anonymous report about someone and that was how it was handled. We thought someone would be out that day and when things kept getting worse my neighbor called again and the whole process was explained to her. Even if they do decide to support it they usually will not remove the kids from the home unless they are being beaten. They try to work with the families first and then if things don't get better they will try to place the kids. They usually look to see if there is anyone in the family who would be willing to care for the children before placing them in foster care. They are so over run with kids that they try to work with the family the best they can before removing the children.

YankeeMary
07-12-2004, 09:11 AM
I know quite a few ppl that smoked pot while preggo & all of their babies/kids are fine. There were no other drugs involved though.

Aren't they lucky!!! That in itself is a Blessing, just imagine how good the kids would be doing. You might notthink it affected them but it very well could have. The thing is, is who would even take that chance? I am glad though that the children you know are doing good, most kids aren't that lucky.

skyrider
07-12-2004, 09:26 AM
Ok first let me get this out in the open i have smoked pot for the last 33 years. While during my pregnancy i had morning sickness so bad i could not hold food down. they wanted me to put on drugs to help the it. I told my docs no i was going to try and smoke a joint and see if it helped. It did. My daughter was born healthy full weight and is 23 now and in mensa. She learned to read at age 4. So no in my case did not effect the health of myslef or my child as a matter of fact probably saved her since they have since taken off the drugs they wanted to put me on for acusing birth defects. My doctor knew and approved of what i did.

YankeeMary
07-12-2004, 09:31 AM
Iam glad that your daughter is healthy and doing well. You were lucky also. But really I don't think that women should do any kind of drugs if possible while pregant.

Willow
07-12-2004, 09:31 AM
Ok first let me get this out in the open i have smoked pot for the last 33 years. While during my pregnancy i had morning sickness so bad i could not hold food down. they wanted me to put on drugs to help the it. I told my docs no i was going to try and smoke a joint and see if it helped. It did. My daughter was born healthy full weight and is 23 now and in mensa. She learned to read at age 4. So no in my case did not effect the health of myslef or my child as a matter of fact probably saved her since they have since taken off the drugs they wanted to put me on for acusing birth defects. My doctor knew and approved of what i did.

I don't think this is the case with most people. You just happen to have been one of the lucky ones.

Willow
07-12-2004, 09:33 AM
Iam glad that your daughter is healthy and doing well. You were lucky also. But really I don't think that women should do any kind of drugs if possible while pregant.

I agree! I could not imagine telling a doctor I'm going to smoke a joint and see if that helps. :eek: It's not fair to expose a child to drugs.

YankeeMary
07-12-2004, 10:14 AM
I can't imagine not being pregant and telling a doctor I was going to smoke a joint, I am a chicken and would be afraid he would call the cops on me...lol.

Candice
07-12-2004, 11:18 AM
I will keep you all updated on how things go. And... should I call the police department or... what? I've never done this before so I really don't know. I thought if I called the police department then they would call the appropriate people.

justme23
07-12-2004, 11:40 AM
I think child protective services is who to call... you CAN call the police, you can even tell them what's going on, but atleast in this state... even if they show up, if they don't smell it or see paraphanallia lying around they can't enter w/out permission from the owner and so I don't think that would do any good... cps will call them tho, you may have to call them several times to get a fire lit under 'em, but they'll investigate.

Willow
07-12-2004, 12:45 PM
As justme has said just report it to child protective services and then if they feel the need to involve the police they will. I think if you did call the police they would tell you to call child protective services.

msshannon
07-12-2004, 12:50 PM
I can't imagine not being pregant and telling a doctor I was going to smoke a joint, I am a chicken and would be afraid he would call the cops on me...lol.

Me too..ROTFLMAO!

stresseater
07-12-2004, 05:15 PM
Ok first let me get this out in the open i have smoked pot for the last 33 years. While during my pregnancy i had morning sickness so bad i could not hold food down. they wanted me to put on drugs to help the it. I told my docs no i was going to try and
ITA. Now I must run from this thread before I climb up on my soapbox and begin speaking as to the evils of disinformation. :eek: :eek: ;) :D

Willow
07-12-2004, 05:27 PM
I must say I'm really amazed at the people who think it's okay to take drugs while pregnant.

Momof2totsand1teen
07-12-2004, 05:46 PM
I must say I'm really amazed at the people who think it's okay to take drugs while pregnant.

ITA! There is no excuse for it.

mom2cvam
07-12-2004, 07:09 PM

ITA When I was pregnant with all of mine I was even afraid to take cold meds or my allergy meds because I was scared that it would hurt my child. I avoided places where I knew there would be cigarette smoke because I didn't want to take the chance that it would hurt my baby. I couldn't imagine intentionally doing drugs while my baby is developing! That just blows my mind! Why would you take the chance that you could be seriously harming that precious life growing inside of you? :(

Starr_79
07-12-2004, 10:43 PM
Seriously, I just don't know. How many of you have ever seen a pregnant woman smoke a cigarette, or have an alcoholic drink? Honestly, I'm sure most of you have. Did you all run out and report THEM? I don't know,maybe you did. NONE of you smoked cigarettes while you were pregnant??? There is no proof that this is worse than cigarette smoke. So consider also what this might do to your family before you decide. I doubt your brother will be very happy about it. If you think it is harder drugs that marijuana, then I can understand reporting them, because there is proof that other drugs can harm the baby.
I think alot of people on here are just very anti-drug, even though they aren't neccecarily very educated about the subject. And, before I get totally flamed here, I should say, I do not smoke marijuana, or do any other type of drugs, and I DO NOT think that women should smoke marijuana when they are pregnant, and it makes me sad to see it. BUT, all the proof we have (as far as I know) says that it's not much worse than cigarette smoke, and you don't report women for smoking those. In fact, if you tried, you would probably be laughed out of the office. I just think it is her body, and her descision - and as much as you would like to, you can not always make people make the right descisions.

YankeeMary
07-12-2004, 10:54 PM
I think alot of people on here are just very anti-drug, even though they aren't neccecarily very educated about the subject.

You make that sound as though thats a bad thing. I for one DID smoke while I was pregant with both of my sons, yes they were and still are very healthy, but to do it over again I can assure you I wouldn't!!! Just the thought that I could have caused them damage makes me sick to my stomach. My doctor truly never said that I should have quit smoking but not sure I would have listened to him anyways, I was 19/20 and of course I knew it all. I am sorry that I did smoke and regret it for real, but I did have enough sense not to smoke POT while pregant nor did I drink!!! I had plurisy (SP)a lung infection during one of my pregancy and refused to take any med for it. I delivered both kids with NO PAIN MEDS OR EPIDURALS, and I cried when they gave me the drug to speed up labor (Patosum???) because I was afraid it would put the baby at risk. Regardless, drugs and pregancy don't mix!!! Not only that smoking pot is ILLEGAL pregant or not.

Candice
07-12-2004, 10:58 PM
Seriously, I just don't know. How many of you have ever seen a pregnant woman smoke a cigarette, or have an alcoholic drink? Honestly, I'm sure most of you have. Did you all run out and report THEM? I don't know,maybe you did. NONE of you smoked cigarettes while you were pregnant??? There is no proof that this is worse than cigarette smoke. So consider also what this might do to your family before you decide. I doubt your brother will be very happy about it. If you think it is harder drugs that marijuana, then I can understand reporting them, because there is proof that other drugs can harm the baby.
I think alot of people on here are just very anti-drug, even though they aren't neccecarily very educated about the subject. And, before I get totally flamed here, I should say, I do not smoke marijuana, or do any other type of drugs, and I DO NOT think that women should smoke marijuana when they are pregnant, and it makes me sad to see it. BUT, all the proof we have (as far as I know) says that it's not much worse than cigarette smoke, and you don't report women for smoking those. In fact, if you tried, you would probably be laughed out of the office. I just think it is her body, and her descision - and as much as you would like to, you can not always make people make the right descisions.

I am very anti-drug, I've never smoked or used anything. I have drank before :o but that was years before my daughter. I was young and stupid. But anyways, I've thought alot, alot about what's going to happen to this family and it scares the crap out of me thinking about what might happen to those kids. And to be completely honest, I don't know if reporting them is the 100% right thing to do but I don't think anything really is. I know he does speed but I've never seen her do it, I've been told she does but I've never actually seen it so I'm not going to say she's using it. She may be or she may not be, I dunno.

I think one of the big issues with mother's smoking weed when pregnant is what else in it. I mean, if you grow your own or whatever then obviously you know it's all natural but they say alot of the time, it's laced with something else that could harm the fetus... I've been reading alot into this to see what kind of effect it could have on the baby but one side says it's okay and the other says it's different. It's hard to really know the facts. I've read up on some studies that were done on one side then I read something about the other side saying that the study was incomplete or done incorrectly. I read one study for the anti-drug side saying that marijuana use during pregnancy is related to childhood luekemia but then the pro-drug side said that was done with something like 10 people. So, I really don't know...

Starr_79
07-12-2004, 11:55 PM
You make that sound as though thats a bad thing.

I don't mean to sound that being anti-drugs is a bad thing, only that it gets kind of scarey when people start giving advice (and some stuff in this thread has sounded more like demands) on subjects that they only think they know about. I read one person on here say it only takes a second for a baby to grab and eat a speed PILL?!?! Speed generally refers to meth nowadays, and meth isn't pills, at least, it never has been where I've lived. And I'm not saying, like, "How dare you not know all about drugs!", but just that maybe alot of people who are giving advice aren't neccesarily up to date on the facts of the topic.

I've been reading alot into this to see what kind of effect it could have on the baby but one side says it's okay and the other says it's different.

The problem is, we just don't know for sure yet. There is no substantial proof that she is doing terrible damage, so I just wanted to be the "other" voice, that reminded you of the family aspect too. I didn't want to get everyone ticked at me (no, really :o ), but I do think it is important to think of what will happen to the family (which I know YOU were) also, especially if nothing happens when you report them. I don't know what the rules are for having it around children and such, but I do know that in alot of places, getting caught with a small amount of marijuana (I know that in some places "a small amount" is less than 2 ounces, which is actually quite a bit) only gets you a ticket. So what if CPS showed up at the house, found a small amount, wrote a ticket, and told them not to do it again? The children would be in no better position, and you, very likely, would not be allowed to be close enough to the children and your brother to moniter the situation, and make sure that things don't get worse for the children.
I guess you just have to make the best choice for you, out of two not so good choices. Good luck with your situation, and I hope that everything works out for the best. :)

YankeeMary
07-13-2004, 12:06 AM
I am from the old school I guess. To me speed is a pill, and as far as I know you can still get speed in a pill form? I know absolutly nothing about Meth. but just because I am uneducated about it, I still know its wrong to use it and I am against itcompletely. All I know is that drugs as well as alcohol have not only ruined lives but completely destroyed lives as well as families. I can see what you are trying to say Star and appreciate it. But even if we knew for sure that smoking pot wouldn't harm the baby how well can you really take care of the child thats already born while HIGH? Either way it is an unsafe environment for the children and the unborn. And to take this one step further if you will, I am sure drug deals even if only pot go wrong right? Then there are helpless children right in the middle of it. She has a tough decision to make and I feel for her really I do, I just worry for the kids. I wouldn't want to be in her shoes. I will definatly say a prayer for her.

Willow
07-13-2004, 05:23 AM
What effects does marijuana have on the body?
Brain: Short term effects include a distorted perception of reality, difficulty with memory and learning, trouble problem solving and thinking clearly, and loss of motor coordination (reflexes and quickness). There are significant long term effects of marijuana use as well. Marijuana use can cause memory and learning problems for weeks after using it.
Emotional: Marijuana users are more likely to be depressed and anxious. Daily problems often get worse. Relationships get worse and job and school performance suffers. You may develop a lack of interest in life, school, family and friends.
Lungs: There are multiple cancer causing agents and tars in marijuana which are similar to those in tobacco cigarettes. Marijuana smoke contains much more cancer-causing hydrocarbons than tobacco smoke. One joint is equal to 10 to 40 tobacco cigarettes. Marijuana smokers have more coughs and lung infections than nonsmokers.
Heart: Marijuana can increase blood pressure and heart rate. Because of the carbon monoxide inhaled, blood is less able to carry oxygen.
Immune System: THC can change the way your body fights infection and cancer.
Pregnancy: Smoking marijuana while pregnant can cause lasting effects on a child. The baby may not develop normally. They have trouble with language, memory, and paying attention. These problems can last through the early school years. You are putting your child at a significant disadvantage if you smoke marijuana during pregnancy.
Marijuana can affect fetal and infant development and may cause miscarriage. Studies have indicated that prenatal marijuana use is linked to premature births, small birth size, difficult or long labor and an increase in newborn jitteriness.

Marijuana smoked by a pregnant woman remains in the baby's fat cells for seven to 30 days. Smoking marijuana can affect the amount of oxygen and nutrients the baby receives, which may affect growth. Marijuana is never safe during pregnancy and it can harm the baby at any stage. In addition, marijuana can have long-term effects on infants and children, such as having trouble paying attention or learning to read.

Candice
07-13-2004, 10:35 AM
Thanks for posting that Patchouli...

Willow
07-13-2004, 11:18 AM
Thanks for posting that Patchouli...

You're welcome! :)