PDA

View Full Version : Question about the depo shot and your monthly friend

ttistin
07-08-2004, 01:02 PM
Ok I tried to call PP {where I go for birthcontrol} and the nurse has been busy :rolleyes: so I thought I would come here and see if anyone here knows about this.

This is my third month on the shot, I go the end of the month for my next shot. Well the first month I went down on the first day of my monthly got the shot and by the next day my "friend" was pretty much gone. I havent had "it" since then until the end of June, It started kinda stopped started again, and it is still going on. Now usually I only get it for like 5 to 6 days, so for me to have it this long is really bothering me, I hate it lol

Now my question is, is this normal? I know they said when I got it I might spot a little here and there, but I didnt think it would last this long. What do you think?

msshannon
07-08-2004, 01:34 PM
It is VERY normal, sweetie! :) The shot "tricks" your body into thinking you are pregnant, thus no period and usually mass weight gain. I was on Depro for 1 year and gained 50 pounds...this is generally what happens to the majority of women. If you start feeling you might be gaining too much weight, you may want to decide on another form of birth control. But as to your question, yes, everything is normal ;) :)

I didn't go anywhere without pads or tampons for 6 months or more. I had "show" every day...maybe not alot but definately some "show".

captorquewrench
07-08-2004, 01:34 PM
mine went away when I was on Depo. the doc said it was normal, but talk about it when you go in for your next injection

ttistin
07-08-2004, 01:52 PM
It is VERY normal, sweetie! :) The shot "tricks" your body into thinking you are pregnant, thus no period and usually mass weight gain. I was on Depro for 1 year and gained 50 pounds...this is generally what happens to the majority of women. If you start feeling you might be gaining too much weight, you may want to decide on another form of birth control. But as to your question, yes, everything is normal ;) :)

I didn't go anywhere without pads or tampons for 6 months or more. I had "show" every day...maybe not alot but definately some "show".

Thank you for the reply :) I feel a lot better now lol

I was worried about gaining weight with it, everyone I know who has been on it has gained weight. The nurse I talked to about it said that it can cause you to feel more hungry but it is all about being careful about what you eat. She said for instance instead of grabbing that bag of chips or cookies, grab an apple or banana or something like that. Since I have been on the shot I have been watching what I eat, I dont drink any soda, coffee etc, just water. I have cut way back on sweets {this past two weeks I have been bad though :o } and we eat a lot of fish and chicken, we dont fry anything. I have also been working out almost everyday {like I said I have been bad the past 2 weeks :o } I have lost about 20 lbs, went from a tight 18 paints to I can now fit into a size 14 {but they are tight} so a comfortable 16 is what I am now, but I will be a comfortable 14 soon :D I am very proud of myself for doing this, especuilly{sp?} being on the depo shot where so many gain weight.

Thanks again for the reply, I am now doing a sigh of relef that everything is normal :D :)

bears984
07-08-2004, 01:55 PM
I have a friend that is taking this shot and she said that when you are getting close to your time to get your next shot that you will bleed sometimes So I think that this is normal hun but maybe someone else will know better

ttistin
07-08-2004, 02:09 PM
I have a friend that is taking this shot and she said that when you are getting close to your time to get your next shot that you will bleed sometimes So I think that this is normal hun but maybe someone else will know better

Ya that is kinda what I thought at first too. Like the hormons are getting low in my body kind of thing lol I am just hoping I dont have this till I get my next shot, that is on 7/26 :eek: did I mention I hate my "friend" LOL :D