PDA

View Full Version : What nerve!

justinenycole26
07-05-2004, 02:53 PM
I am the moderator of the Freecycle group in my county. I only started the group a little over a week ago. There was not one in my area at the time, nor was there one in the next county north of us. So I named the group MartinStLucieCounty Freecycle. Not a problem right? So I log in today to check the pending messages and there was a message from some woman. The message was to the entire group. It said that she was starting a St. Lucie County group and that for people living in St. Lucie County her group was the "correct" one and that if I wanted to keep my group it needed to be for Martin County only. She demanded that I either close the group altogether or change it. She said that the Freecycle rules state that the group can only be for one county. LIE! There is a SUGGESTION on the Freecycle homepage that the group be for one area because of driving distance, but it is not a RULE. Well, our counties are small and border one another, so I included both.
Needless to say, I did not post her message to the group (all messages have to be approved before they are posted) and I e-mailed her back as nicely as possible to tell her that I am NOT closing the group.
She also totally ignored the RULE that someone can only moderate ONE group. So I guess she is above this, because she also moderates the group in the next county north of her.
I was so flabbergasted when I got this message. I don't know what to do now. I don't think I should have to give up my group because she ordered me to, but I do not want people to be caught in the middle either.

queenangie
07-05-2004, 03:58 PM
You did it first - keep your 2 small counties together. She is mad because she did not think of it first.

I just joined in my county too.

You are doing a great public service for your local area.

Bohemut
07-05-2004, 04:40 PM
I love Freecycle. It's a wonderful way "recycle." Why does someone have to come in and play such petty politics? Ignore her and if she causes problems report her. I feel sorry for the people using the service because ultimately they're the ones who'll be caught in the middle. :(

Freebeemom
07-05-2004, 07:18 PM
I am a moderator for my region...and we are getting some spam...well, fortunately, I am online every day..like 3 X a day. I elimiate, ban and delete all threads of spam immediately! 2 members have taken to writing comments like "I am sick of this forum getting so much spam"...well, duh! I can't control who obtains a yahoo account! Ugh!! IT is tough, but stick with it! You are doing a GREAT Service, just like others in the forum said!

maudy
07-05-2004, 07:32 PM
kind of off the subject but how do I find this in my area ?

babymaniac
07-05-2004, 07:42 PM
http://www.freecycle.org

sharinbo
07-06-2004, 12:32 AM
Hang in there! I LOVE freecycle, and I really appreciate all the hard work done by the mods of my city's group. I know there are numerous groups in my area I could join, as the areas covered overlap each other or are neighboring. The group I'm in has 8 mods and is still working out all the kinks that come with running a growing group. Don't let that one, jealous person try to take over what you started. I think you did the right thing. :)

justinenycole26
07-06-2004, 01:06 AM
Ok, now i'm really ticked! I got a reply to the e-mail I sent her. She said "If there is to be a group in Martin that has freecycle in the name, it must be done this way. There is no problem with you owning a group in Martin County, however there are some things that need to change' and gave me a list of things I HAD to change. I do not know this woman from Adam. Never heard of her before. Who the EDITED is she to tell me what to do? I do NOT take kindly to receiving orders from ANYONE. Now if the "founder" I guess you would call him, were to let me know that I should change certain things, and if he were to be nice about it and not make demands, I would certainly take heed. But this heifer can bite me.

Gumball1960
07-07-2004, 11:27 AM
Is there someone higher up like a "boss" you could e-mail about it? I would think even the Mods must have someone above them helping to run stuff.

dlwt
07-07-2004, 11:53 AM
Love freecycle. This is her problem not yours. Let her do the writing of the higher ups and if you are doing something wrong they will tell ya. I would just ignore her

Kelsey1224
07-07-2004, 12:30 PM
I guess I would reply to her rather politely and say,

"I've read the rules closely and they conflict with the demands you are making. Perhaps, I am not understanding what "role" you play in Freecycle. Please explain to me who you are and why you are making these demands on me."

lassss
07-07-2004, 12:39 PM
I went to freecycle a few times and I am not fond of it...I see people posting *I want this and I want that* instead of posting things you'd like to get rid of. These people are adamant too about the things they want for free too..like it can't be old or scratched etc. :confused:

Stick to your grounds and ban her :D

justinenycole26
07-07-2004, 08:21 PM
Thanks guys. I think this has worked itself out. I heard from the "founder" (if that's what he is called) and he was very nice. I am more than willing to work with him.

Kelsey1224
07-07-2004, 09:15 PM
So...what did he have to say about these e-mails you have been receiving?

justinenycole26
07-07-2004, 10:12 PM
I went to freecycle a few times and I am not fond of it...I see people posting *I want this and I want that* instead of posting things you'd like to get rid of. These people are adamant too about the things they want for free too..like it can't be old or scratched etc. :confused:

Stick to your grounds and ban her :D

Yeah, we get some of those. Along with a sob story. But you kind of just learn to ignore them. There really are some good people involved, you just have to take the bad with the good.

I would be TICKED if someone asked for something and then made demands as to the condition of the item. I have read thru a lot of other groups to get a feel for how it works and read a lot of posts basically begging for various things like clothes for their kids, baby items, etc. That is really not what Freecycle is all about.