PDA

View Full Version : Happy Independence Day

the fugative
07-04-2004, 10:26 AM
:)

A words of wisdom about liberty, democracy and independence. Enjoy and give thanks for the strength of this great union.

"WE hold these Truths to be self-evident, that all Men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the Pursuit of Happiness — That to secure these Rights, Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just Powers from the Consent of the Governed, that whenever any Form of Government becomes destructive of these Ends, it is the Right of the People to alter or to abolish it, and to institute new Government, laying its Foundation on such Principles, and organizing its Powers in such Form, as to them shall seem most likely to effect their Safety and Happiness."

— FROM THE DECLARATION OF INDEPENDENCE

"Is life so dear or peace so sweet as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take, but as for me, give me liberty, or give me death."

— PATRICK HENRY

"O beautiful for patriot dream That sees beyond the years Thine alabaster cities gleam Undimmed by human tears! America! America!

God shed his grace on thee And crown thy good with brotherhood From sea to shining sea!"

— FROM "AMERICA THE BEAUTIFUL,"

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."

-- BENJAMIN FRANKLIN

"Most people want security in this world, not liberty."

-- H L MENCKEN

"If particular care and attention is not paid to the ladies, we are determined to foment a rebellion, and will not hold ourselves bound by any laws in which we have no voice or representation."

-- ABIGAIL ADAMS

"Freedom lies in being bold."

— ROBERT FROST

"Anyone who fights for the future, lives in it today."

--AYN RAND

"You can't separate peace from freedom because no one can be at peace unless he has his freedom."

-- MALCOM X

"Freedom's just another word for nothin' left to lose/And nothin' ain't worth nothin' but it's free…"

--FROM ME AND BOBBY MCGEE by KRIS KRISTOFFERSON

"Restriction of free thought and free speech is the most dangerous of all subversions. It is the one un-American act that could most easily defeat us."

-- JUSTICE WILLIAM O DOUGLAS

"There are not enough jails, not enough policemen, not enough courts to enforce a law not supported by the people."

-- HUBERT H HUMPHERY

"Those who profess to favor freedom and yet depreciate agitation, are people who want crops without ploughing the ground; they want rain without thunder and lightning; they want the ocean without the roar of its many waters. The struggle may be a moral one, or it may be a physical one, or it may be both. But it must be a struggle. Power concedes nothing without demand; it never has and it never will."

-- FREDERICK DOUGLASS

"Eternal vigilance is the price of liberty."

-- JOHN PHILPOT CURRAN

"Liberty 's in every blow!/Let us do or die."

-- ROBERT BURNS

"Liberty and Union, now and forever, one and inseparable."

— DANIEL WEBSTER

"When Freedom from her mountain-height Unfurled her standard to the air, She tore the azure robe of night, And set the stars of glory there. She mingled with its gorgeous dyes The milky baldric of the skies, And striped its pure, celestial white With streakings of the morning light."

-- FROM "THE AMERICAN FLAG" by JOSEPH DRAKE

"For freedom's battle, once begun, Bequeath'd by bleeding sire to son, Though baffled oft, is ever won."

-- LORD BYRON

"So long as faith with freedom reigns And loyal hope survives, And gracious charity remains To leaven lowly lives; While there is one untrodden tract
For intellect or will, And men are free to think and act, Life is worth living still."

— ALFRED AUSTIN

"This hand, to tyrants ever sworn the foe,

For Freedom only deals the deadly blow; Then sheathes in calm repose the vengeful blade, For gentle peace in Freedom's hallowed shade."

— JOHN QUINCY ADAMS

"That this nation, under God, shall have a new birth of freedom, and that government of the people, by the people, for the people, shall not perish from the earth."

--ABRAHAM LINCOLN

"One should never put on one's best trousers to go out in to fight for freedom."

--HENRIK ISBEN

"O'My country, 'tis of thee, Sweet land of liberty,

Of thee I sing: Land where my fathers died, Land of the pilgrims' pride, From every mountain-side Let freedom ring."

— FROM "AMERICA,"

"Equal and exact justice to all men, of whatever state or persuasion, religious or political; peace, commerce, and honest friendship with all nations — entangling alliances with none; the support of the State governments in all their rights, as the most competent administrations for our domestic concerns, and the surest bulwarks against anti-republican tendencies; the preservation of the general government in its whole constitutional vigour, as the sheet anchor of our peace at home and safety abroad; … freedom of religion; freedom of the press; freedom of person under the protection of the habeas corpus; and trial by juries impartially selected — these principles form the bright constellation which has gone before us, and guided our steps through an age of revolution and reformation."

--FROM THOMAS JEFFERSON'S First Inaugural Address

"Ammunition beats persuasion when you're looking for freedom!"

-- WILL ROGERS

"A self-ordained professor's tongue

Too serious to fool Spouted out that liberty Is just equality in school 'Equality,' I spoke the word As if a wedding vow

"Ah, but I was so much older then — I'm younger than that now."

— BOB DYLAN, FROM "MY BACK PAGES"

:D

nanajoanie
07-04-2004, 10:52 AM
Awesome. Interesting to read. Thanks :) And a happy and safe 4th to you :) My son is having a picnic in front of his tent in Kuwait today :)

Angel Lips
07-04-2004, 11:02 AM
thank you for sharing that. happy 4th

hotdoglove
07-04-2004, 11:55 AM
happy 4th of july

Jolie Rouge
07-04-2004, 12:51 PM
Awesome. Interesting to read. Thanks :) And a happy and safe 4th to you :)

My son is having a picnic in front of his tent in Kuwait today :)

Please tell him thank you from my family to yours.

A tradition we have is to write names on the fireworks before they are fired to honor the our Veterns - will you PM me your sons' name ? (( Other wise it will have to simply read "Nana Joanie's Son" ))

twinkiesmom
07-04-2004, 01:06 PM
Happy 4th everyone! Makes me wanna sing that song: I'm proud to be an American . . . . . . where at least I know I'm free . . . . . and I won't forget the men that died . . . . :(
Peace to everyone and to those serving our country!