PDA

View Full Version : Help!

brumzoo
07-04-2004, 05:29 AM
Yesterday I woke up with three painful lumps behind my left ear. They really hurt! One is pea sized, another a little larger than a pea, and the third one is big! They are really painful! This morning there is a fourth one behind my right ear that is big and painful, also. My MIL said that they were swollen glands and asked if I had an earache. I feel fine other than these stupid lumps. Of course this happened on a weekend and a holiday weekend at that. Does anyone here have any ideas about what it could be? :confused:
Thank you for your help.

kimp67
07-04-2004, 06:18 AM
Sounds like swollen glands to me too. Maybe take some tylenol throughout the day today & call your dr tomorrow morning.
Good Luck

Freebeemom
07-04-2004, 07:49 AM
Are you sure you don't have spider bites? I know your lymph nodes on your head are on the back part of your skull...following the spine. There are 2 "knobbs" that are swollen. This is how my dr. detected Mono.

YankeeMary
07-04-2004, 08:06 AM
Are you sure you don't have spider bites? I know your lymph nodes on your head are on the back part of your skull...following the spine. There are 2 "knobbs" that are swollen. This is how my dr. detected Mono.

I thought spider nite also. sometimes when spiders or flies bite you can't see an actual break in the skin...I wish you luck and am glad that you at least don't have an earache. Becareful tho for if it is an infection it is so close to your brain don't wait to long.

galeane29
07-04-2004, 08:17 AM
My son had this same thing just behind/below the ear on his neck. I took him to the doc because it sure did'nt looke like a bite of any kind, they were under the skin not on the surface like a bite. The doc ran some tests and found it was mononucleosis. I never knew this but there are several types of mono. He'll put ya on some antibotics and you'll be fine if that is what you have.

brumzoo
07-04-2004, 08:38 AM
I don't think I was bitten by a spider, but I don't know. I will call the doctor tomorrow, hopefully they will be open (not sure b/c of July 4th). I don't have a GP. Do you think it would be ok if I called my ENT? I had mono my freshman year in college...about 17 years ago. Can you get it again?
Thank you all for your help!

missymommy
07-04-2004, 08:46 AM
Is it under the skin or attached to the skin? If it is your lymph nodes then you will be able to move them around seperately from the skin. If it is a bite or acne then it will move with the skin. This is what my mom told me.

YankeeMary
07-04-2004, 09:04 AM
Yes mono can be had more than once...I am living proof. I hope you wake in the morning and the bumps are gone and all is well.

hotdoglove
07-04-2004, 10:29 AM
i hope you are feeling better soon.

ang in NC
07-04-2004, 10:36 AM
it can be ear infection! This happen to my dau.Also the mastoid is back there and that can be a nasty infection. Get to the dr.

sharinbo
07-04-2004, 10:59 AM
I had that happen to me once, on both sides. My doctor told me it was my glands doing their job, fighting off some sort of infection. I wasn't sick otherwise, so they didn't really do anything for it. Told me to come in if they got bigger or more painful...they stayed like that for several months!

brumzoo
07-04-2004, 03:02 PM
Thanks to everyone!
The skin moves on top of the lumps (the lumps don't move). I will be calling to see if I can get a doctor's appointment first thing tomorrow. I hope it is not anything bad. :(

queenangie
07-04-2004, 09:05 PM
Good thing that you aren't ignoring it and will see the doctor.

Said prayers for you.

Hoping it is something just minor.

Tadbit
07-05-2004, 11:32 AM
Thanks to everyone!
The skin moves on top of the lumps (the lumps don't move). I will be calling to see if I can get a doctor's appointment first thing tomorrow. I hope it is not anything bad. :(

Hope it goes well for you at the Dr. office. You'll have to keep us updated and let us know what you find out. My daughter had mono but I don't recall her having anything like you are going through.

brumzoo
07-05-2004, 12:49 PM
My doctor is closed today for the holiday. They will be back in the office tomorrow. I spoke to my doctor's partner and he said to make an appointment tomorrow and that if my doctor was booked and couldn't see me, then he would. Said it sounded like something viral to him. Told me to take Tylenol, Vitamin C and use saline water to flush my sinuses (had very bloody mucous last night). He also told me to use Sudafed, but it makes me climb the walls. Also told me to take it easy until I get in to see him. I'm now running a low grade fever, also. I'll let everyone know what they find tomorrow.
Thanks again for everything!

bell_peaches
07-05-2004, 01:44 PM
good luck keep us posted Hope you feel better soon

brumzoo
07-06-2004, 04:27 PM
I went to the ENT today amd he said I have a viral upper respiratory infection. I got a shot in my heinie (OW!) and he gave me some nasal spray to use. I still feel bad...last night I started getting dizzy. Hopefully the meds will work quickly!