PDA

View Full Version : rash question

lisarae
07-03-2004, 05:51 AM
My daughter who is 7 months today, has been sick for 4 days now. She started out with a fever, for 2 straight days. She was sent to the hospital for labs to find out what kind of infection she had, cause she had been on Augmentin for a week, for eye and ear infection. Well they said her white blood cell count is normal. So they started her on a different antibiotic. Omnicef. Dr said she still had a pretty bad ear infection, and blisters on her throat. She said it was most likely an intraviral (sp) infection. Which is like a strain of hand,foot and mouth. Now she has a rash, almost looks like hives, on her neck, head, forehead, and down her back to the top of her butt. No where else. (As of right now). And she has a pretty bad cough now. I was wondering if anyone knows if that is hand, foot and mouth, even though its not on her hand foot or mouth.

I know this isn't a replacement for a doctor, but I thought that I would ask you all. ( I am calling dr a bit later, but Im gonna see if it goes away in a little bit.)

bribella
07-03-2004, 05:54 AM
Sorry, I don't know but I hope your baby gets better soon! :) {{{hugs}}}

Freebeemom
07-03-2004, 06:25 AM
Hand foot and mouth is caused by contact with fungus etc. from hand ft, mouth...very common in a gymnastics type setting.

Just be careful with that augmentin.. My son had a severe allergic reaction to it....the serum is very high. He is allergic to both penniciillin and the syrum in that medicine. It caused severe hives...just watch them! My son had swelling so badly that he could not breathe! Very scary!

Angel~Chihuahua
07-03-2004, 07:44 AM
hand foot and mouth disease is going around in my daycare. we have about 5 kids out with it right now. it starts out with a fever a few days before they break out. some kids will break out worse than others. blisters in the throat, mouth, hands and feet. it is very contagious. they will need to be out of daycare, if they are in daycare, until it goes away. they can also get the rash/blisters on their butt too. its passed around thru saliva, fece's (sp?), it is a viral thing. there is nothing they can give for it, this just has to pass its course. i would have never known any info about this but we've got it going around the daycare where i work. hope your little one feels better soon! i know this makes them feel really icky and probably grumpy too!

lisarae
07-03-2004, 08:09 AM
I called Dr, she said to take her off the antibiotic,(omnicef) and give her some benedryl for the rash. Said that they way it sounded it was a roseola rash, and to bring her in on Monday. I searched it and it looks just like the roseola. Im just glad its not meningitis. Its going around badly here. I don't want to take her anywhere. My cousin has viral meningitis, and has a 9 month old and she cant be around the baby for at least 10 days. Thats aweful.

Thanks everyone. Shes asleep now, (thanks benedryl)lol.. She hasnt let me lay her down to nap in a week..lol

amysusi
07-03-2004, 08:49 AM
I'm glad you got a diagnosis. I hope she is able to rest now, that will help her get better.