PDA

View Full Version : yeast infection vaginal

kmtsn
07-02-2004, 04:11 PM
hello i was wondering if any of you have ever had this this is my first time i was feeling fine but when i went in for my pap (even though i have had a hystromey) i still get these every 3 months for a year anyway it camne back yesat infection so the doctor ordered me declfonse (I know spelling is wrong) anyway its the pill you only have to take 1 of anyway what were some of your symptoms? thanks

queenangie
07-02-2004, 05:12 PM
Hope this answers your questions from webmd. It would seem that most women have experienced them at one time or another.

*****This info could be TMI for some individuals *****

http://my.webmd.com/hw/womens_conditions/hw61046.asp?lastselectedguid={5FE84E90-BC77-4056-A91C-9531713CA348}

What are the symptoms of a vaginal yeast infection?
The most common symptoms of a vaginal yeast infection are:

Vaginal itching.
Irritated genital skin.
White vaginal discharge that is usually curdlike and odorless.
Pain or burning in the genital area with urination or sexual intercourse.
Symptoms of a vaginal yeast infection are more likely to occur during the week before a menstrual period.

How is a vaginal yeast infection diagnosed?
Vaginal itching and a white vaginal discharge that is odorless and looks like cottage cheese usually indicates a vaginal yeast infection. If your vaginal symptoms are not typical of a yeast infection, your health professional may recommend a vaginal exam and may culture the discharge to see whether another type of organism is present.

Can a vaginal yeast infection be treated at home?
Nonprescription vaginal medications are available. If you have had a previous vaginal yeast infection and are certain your present symptoms are the same as during the previous infection, you can try these medications.

Vaginal yeast infections often occur in pregnancy. Pregnant women should not use nonprescription medications without discussing their symptoms with their health professional.

Can vaginal yeast infections recur?
Yes. A yeast infection is considered to be recurrent if you have four or more infections within 1 year. The infections must be severe enough to cause symptoms and cannot be caused by taking antibiotics. A culture is often done to confirm the presence of yeast, and you should be tested for underlying conditions, such as diabetes.

Could vaginal symptoms be related to something else?
Vaginal yeast infections are the second most common type of vaginal infection after bacterial vaginosis, which may have similar symptoms. Trichomoniasis, a sexually transmitted disease (STD), is the third most common type of vaginal infection. Other sexually transmitted diseases may cause vaginal symptoms similar to a yeast infection.

fluconazole (Diflucan)
ketoconazole (Nizoral)
itraconazole (Sporanox)

Fluconazole is the recommended oral medication.

How It Works

These medications cause the yeast organism to die.

Why It Is Used

Oral medications are used to:

Treat occasional infections in women who have a preference for oral treatment.
Treat recurring vaginal yeast infections that do not respond to vaginal treatments.
Prevent infections for women who have persistent, recurring vaginal yeast infections. All cases of recurring vaginal yeast infections should be confirmed by culture before preventive therapy begins.
Oral medications are not recommended during pregnancy.1

How Well It Works

Oral medications for vaginal yeast infections have a cure rate of about 90%, which is similar to vaginal medications. In some cases, the less common types of yeast infections may respond better to vaginal treatment. Since oral medications do not provide immediate relief of symptoms, vaginal medications may also be needed in the first 48 hours of treatment.

Fluconazole is effective as a single-dose treatment for a mild yeast infection. It remains effective in the vagina for 3 to 5 days.2

Recurring infections (4 or more in one year)
Treatment recommendations for recurrent vaginal yeast infections include oral and/or vaginal medications and maintenance treatment.3

Side Effects

Side effects may include:

Headache.
Abdominal pain.
Nausea.
See Drug Reference for a full list of side effects. (Drug Reference is not available in all systems.)

Medication interactions
Fluconazole interacts with:3, 1

Astemizole (Hismanal).
Calcium channel blockers (such as diltiazem [Cardizem]).
Cisapride (Propulsid).
Cyclosporine (Sandimmune or Tacrolimus).
Hydrochlorothiazide (Esidrix).
Oral hypoglycemic medications.
Phenytoin (Dilantin).
Rifampin (Rifadin).
Terfenadine (Seldane).
Theophylline.
Trimetrexate (Neotrexin).
Warfarin (Coumadin).
Zidovudine (Retrovir).
Tell your health professional about any medications you are taking so that appropriate treatment can be recommended.

What To Think About

Oral medications are not recommended during pregnancy.1

Fluconazole is expensive, but since it is now recommended as a single-dose treatment, its use is more affordable.

Ketoconazole was the first drug that was effective in eliminating acute vaginal yeast infections, but it is not widely used now because it may damage the liver.

Itraconazole may be used in 6-month maintenance treatment for recurrent vaginal yeast infections.

Women who are being treated for recurring vaginal yeast infections should receive regular checkups to monitor the effectiveness of treatment and the occurrence of side effects. After successful treatment, maintenance therapy is recommended for 6 months.

Treatment of sexual partners does not prevent recurrences. However, sexual partners with red, itchy, or painful skin in the genital area should be evaluated and treated appropriately.

Current research recommends that women with human immunodeficiency virus (HIV) follow standard medication treatments. Women with HIV appear to have an increased risk of recurring vaginal infections, but treatment recommendations are the same as for women who are not infected with HIV. Maintenance therapy helps prevent recurring vaginal yeast infections.1

See a list of questions to ask your doctor about medications.

There are several options to suggest home treatments, but
IMO ~go straight for the oral antibiotic 1x pill.

annie169
07-02-2004, 10:48 PM
I took Diflucan once for a yeast infection once. it left the WORST taste in my mouth....ew ew ew. Lasted for like 3 days. I kept rinsing with mouthwash, but it sure cleared up the infection. Good luck.

terizona
07-03-2004, 07:18 PM
kmtsn - I had the exact same thing happen when I had my last checkup. I just went to the drugstore to pick something non-prescription out (I'm cheap), but the thing I didn't get was...

If you don't have any symptoms...how do you know you are "cured"?

hotdoglove
07-03-2004, 07:23 PM
I luckily never had a yeast infection. Eating yougurt can keep this nasty infection away!

terizona
07-03-2004, 07:52 PM
I've always heard that about eating yogurt...but I eat yogurt almost daily and apparently still got one, but maybe that made the difference between someone suffering with symptoms and mine being so mild that I didn't know I had a problem.

One website said that eating yogurt won't make a difference, because you're confining the yogurt bacteria to your digestive system and not the reproductive system where the bacterial infection is. They also mentioned that some people have...well, how should I put it...applied the yogurt (non flavored only) directly to their infected area as a homemade remedy with results!! :eek:
I don't know any other details, but not my recommendation though. I'd say keep things simple and stick with a prescription or the drugstore.

annie169
07-03-2004, 08:10 PM
I've always heard that about eating yogurt...but I eat yogurt almost daily and apparently still got one,
You have to make sure the yogurt you eat has Live Cultures in it...not all yogurts do. It will say on the back near the nutrition info if it does or not. I "think" Dannon and Yoplait do..for sure Yoplait does. But, the Safeway/Vons yogurt, you have to check the label cause not all flavors have it.

katencody
07-03-2004, 08:47 PM
maybe you should be tested for diabetes. I had yeast infections for almost 6 months and nothing cleared it up. finally, my ob/gyn tested me and sure enough I have type 2 diabetes. Reacurring(sp) infections are a sign of diabetes.

bethieb
07-15-2004, 04:04 PM
I get them every time I have to take antibiotics.

cookiegirl
07-15-2004, 07:23 PM
My gyn told me to start taking acidophilius. This is the live culture that is in yogurt. I buy it at the whole food supermarket. I take one everyday. You have to use the one you keep in the fridge.
It works the best. I take it becasue my ph level is off. but it helps with yeast infections.
I always get them after antibiotics. But since I strated taking this, no more trouble.

PeggySue
07-15-2004, 11:20 PM
My gyn told me to start taking acidophilius. This is the live culture that is in yogurt. I buy it at the whole food supermarket. I take one everyday. You have to use the one you keep in the fridge.
It works the best. I take it becasue my ph level is off. but it helps with yeast infections.
I always get them after antibiotics. But since I strated taking this, no more trouble.
this is soooo true whenever ya take antibiotics, get the acidolpholis, its needed OR u will get the yeast infections.. also beware.. i did the one day monistat instead of 7 day:( got a rash so bad my dr thought i had a disease? yikes.. the one day is very strong n willl harm some so beware... good luck:) peg

Quaker_Parrots
07-16-2004, 02:44 AM
Are you married/ active? If yes, you might want to get your honey in to the Dr. He could be the reason you keep getting them. (men get them too, they just never know they have them) He could be reinfecting you. He needs to be on the meds too, to help you get rid of them.