PDA

View Full Version : LDS "etiquitte" question

jan8262
06-30-2004, 06:22 PM
My daughter has a lot of good friends that are Mormons.
They do a lot of activities together, and are frequently at one another's houses.

She went to camp for a week, they've been back a week, and tonight is a bbq/awards ceremony at one of the ladies houses.

Now for my question - the adult women are referred to as "Sister (last name)" So I am frequent going to Sister X's house or Sister Y's house.

When I go to pick her up, and have a few words with the women, should I use that greeting as well? Or should I just use their first name?

I've been somewhat involved with these women, (sewing groups, impromptu get-togethers) but was never sure just what was the appropriate way for me to address them.

Thanks!

Willow
06-30-2004, 06:54 PM
Just bumping for you. I know that there are at least a couple of Mormon members here.

DBackFan
06-30-2004, 07:30 PM
Either way is appropriate really. My whole family is LDS except me..lol. "I" call them sister or brother but it is not necessary. IF you are comfortable calling them that, then do! :)

stresseater
06-30-2004, 07:34 PM
OOOOOOOOOOHhhhhhhhhh Latter Day Saints.....boy did I read that one wrong. :eek: :eek: :D

Tasha405
06-30-2004, 07:42 PM
I read it wrong too! :o

I was raised in church and we always called the members Sister & Brother and I still do to this day. I guess it just depends on what you are comfortable doing. :)

agentpenguin
07-01-2004, 06:13 AM
:) :D :) I'm not sure if this will help or not, I always call people Mr. or Mrs. Whatever first. That way they can tell me if they prefer to be called something else. Some people correct me and say, "Oh please call me Jane", or whatever. Some people don't. I figure that way I'm using their preference. HTH!!! :D :) :D

halvarado
07-01-2004, 06:59 AM
would it be considered rude if you ask them what they prefer? i would think that they would be honest and tell you if one makes them more comfortable than the other. that way, if even if each person has a different preference you would know :D

galeane29
07-01-2004, 07:15 AM
I was raised LDS. It doesnt really matter how you refer to people. Close friends we call by their first names but other we have always called Sis. or Bro. I dont think it would offend them either way.

Oh and I read it wrong to begin with also , dont get many questions about LDS cept the stupid ones , well in my opinion anyway. I always get suff like , so are you mormon? you must be with so many kids. Me being mormon has nothing to do with how many kids I have.

Over the years I have been asked so , which wife are you? I'm like wth I'm the ONLY one.

Another question I get is arent you the religion that hates black people......HECK no, alot of my friends and neighbors are black. I was not raised to be that way.

Anymore questions just ask.... :D

Kelsey1224
07-01-2004, 08:01 AM
I'm confused...what other way could you read this? Does LDS have another meaning that of which I'm not aware?

hdlzx2
07-01-2004, 08:19 AM
Okay, here's my opinion--Mormon is a nickname, after the book of Mormon, that's the general public view, but not "really" Mormons, because The prophet Mormon is not worshipped, he is just the abridger of the Book of Mormon, and that is how the world identifies or separates from other religions. Technically, the preferred name--members of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints, because Jesus Christ is the cornerstone of the church. No offense is taken at being called a Mormon.
Now--as how to address a member. My policy is that if you're good friends, call them what you would anywhere, but when in church or at a church setting, that's when you use the brother or sister title, out of respect, unless you don't feel comfortable with that, then just use whatever you are cofortable with ( I still have problems on knowing what to call my inlaws :rolleyes: --it's basically the same thing)
BTW, yes I am LDS :) :) --all my life.

Kelsey1224
07-01-2004, 08:29 AM
OOOOOOOOOOHhhhhhhhhh Latter Day Saints.....boy did I read that one wrong. :eek: :eek: :D

I'm still confused...what else does LDS mean but Latter Day Saints?

hdlzx2
07-01-2004, 08:35 AM
OOOOOHHHHH---sometimes people mix up the acronyms...LDS--LSD :o :confused:

ahippiechic
07-01-2004, 08:36 AM
Well, when I 1st read it, I thought it said "LSD" :D

galeane29
07-01-2004, 08:41 AM
LDS Latter Day Saints only thing i have ever known it to stand for ...lol

UROCgirl
07-01-2004, 09:12 AM
When people write LDS some times you just see LSD "Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds" the hallucongenic (sp) drug.

As far as knowing how to address the LDS ladies, I also think that which ever way you prefer and feel comfortable with is fine. I am LDS and I have both member and nonmember friends. Usually I only see the member friends on the sundays we make it to church or church functions and everyone calls me sister and my husband brother so and so. All of our nonmember friends just call us by our first names. We were inactive (did not attend church/no contact) for about 10 years and have just been more active in recent years. I feel a little strange calling church friends sister so and so, I don't know why but it does not come naturally to me. If I am at church I will try to say sister so and so but if I am not I call them by their first name. If I do not know their first name I will say hi by saying sister or brother so and so. No one has ever corrected me, or made me feel uneasy about what ever way I address them.

That said if I were you I would just probably use their first names if I knew them and if not I would use sister so and so.

Sorry so long. I Hope that helps. I think you have some good advice in this thread. Good luck.

Kelsey1224
07-01-2004, 09:12 AM
Well, when I 1st read it, I thought it said "LSD" :D

OOOOOHHHHH...now I understand. (Have you had this dyslexic problem for long...LOL.)

amysusi
07-01-2004, 12:02 PM
When people write LDS some times you just see LSD "Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds" the hallucongenic (sp) drug.

That just reminds me of that Star Trek movie when Kirk told some guy Spock was on LDS, LOL.

If you feel comfortable calling these women Sister, that's totally fine. But you don't have to.

I am a Young Woman leader here, and we are struggling to call the fellow leaders by Brother and Sister. We're trying to set the example to the youth because it's gotten pretty lax lately.

BTW: I'll be going to camp in 2 weeks. It's been 10 years since I went (as a youth). Looking forward to it!!

annie169
07-01-2004, 12:26 PM
BTW: I'll be going to camp in 2 weeks. It's been 10 years since I went (as a youth). Looking forward to it!!

I am SOOO jealous! I loved girls camp! I went for 7 years....lol. and you're in UTAH...how BEATIFUL!! I was in Cali, although I did a day at Girls' camp when I was living in St. George (they had theirs up Ceder Glen).

BTW....I HATE being called Sister "___" Makes me feel old. lol. If you know my name and you're my friend, call me by my first name please!!

janelle
07-01-2004, 01:35 PM

You mean John Lennon lied to us when he said he got that title when he saw his son's drawing and his son told him it was Lucy in the sky with diamonds? Well, I don't know what to believe now. I saw him say it himself on TV. OPPS, now I'm giving my age away. Yes I acually saw John Lennon on TV in an interview. :D

stresseater
07-01-2004, 07:48 PM
You mean John Lennon lied to us when he said he got that title when he saw his son's drawing and his son told him it was Lucy in the sky with diamonds? Well, I don't know what to believe now. I saw him say it himself on TV. OPPS, now I'm giving my age away. Yes I acually saw John Lennon on TV in an interview
I think this is true , but a lot of people who "tripped the light fantastic" thought of it as "their" song. :)

janelle
07-01-2004, 10:27 PM
I think this is true , but a lot of people who "tripped the light fantastic" thought of it as "their" song. :)

Also Puff the Magic Dragon but it was suppose to just be a little kiddies song. LOL :eek:

galeane29
07-02-2004, 05:14 AM
BTW: I'll be going to camp in 2 weeks. It's been 10 years since I went (as a youth). Looking forward to it!![/QUOTE]

I am also jealous. :p I havent been to girls camp in years. The last time I went was in Utah , my sister was the young womens leader and It was so gorgeous. The only thing, where we went to camp that last year in Utah we had cabins all the other years I went we actually camped out. That was really fun too. Cant wait till my daughter gets old enough to go . :D

amysusi
07-02-2004, 09:05 AM
I am SOOO jealous! I loved girls camp! I went for 7 years....lol. and you're in UTAH...how BEATIFUL!! I was in Cali, although I did a day at Girls' camp when I was living in St. George (they had theirs up Ceder Glen).

BTW....I HATE being called Sister "___" Makes me feel old. lol. If you know my name and you're my friend, call me by my first name please!!

Where in Cali did you go to camp? That's where I grew up, and we always were up in the San Bernardino mountains between Lake Arrowhead and Big Bear. Camp here makes ours there seem like Club Med, LOL. We had cabins and bunk beds, and a kitchen staff that made all our meals (except for the one we did for certification). Here in Utah, we will be in tents, and every ward is responsible for their own meals - in fact we have to bring our own dishes to eat off of. But then again camp in Cali had 4 times as many girls than here too. We only have 6 girls from our ward this year. Last night we tie-dyed t-shirts for camp, and next week, us leaders are tie-dying pillowcases for the girls.

annie169
07-02-2004, 10:57 PM
Sorry, I grew up near Monterey and our camp was the Boy Scout camp in Big Sur. So, we had tents! But, since they had a kitchen, we had some ladies from the stake come and be "our cookies"...lol. But, I think I know where you camped at Big Bear...the church campground, right? Our ward had a camp out there 2 years ago and I smashed my right front side panel getting there (car in front of me didn't signal to turn left and I had swerve to miss the jeep and hit a pole instead). Have fun!! I think our leaders are afraid to ask me to camp....I might turn all the girls into rebellious lil fiends....lol.

Tas
07-03-2004, 06:10 AM
I had no idea there were so many other LDS people here, lol. I know the original questions been answered but I thought I'd just say hi to everyone.

I got married in England (father was in the military) and my husbands ward (he's English) was a bit different in the fact that half the time they addressed each other as Sister or Brother then the first name. It seemed much friendlier but still with the title of respect. I really liked it actually. England was the first place I had lived where there weren't a lot of mormons all over the place. They were very tight knit. :)

Mommyt6
07-03-2004, 07:30 AM
Well I have to put my 2 cents in. When ever anyone calls me Sis. E...I look for my mother-in-law. But I live in the town I grow up in so everyone messes up and calls me by my maiden name. AS for camp. I went for 2 years and got soooooo sunburned each time(with spf 50) that my Mom never let me go again. But we live put in the middle of no where so it wasn' that big of a deal to me.