PDA

View Full Version : My little girl has Lyme Disease!!!

jus2cusmile
06-25-2004, 06:46 AM
Hiya all...some of you know that we live in New Jersey...in the upper part...the country/mountains, so Lyme is quite prevelant here.
Last Wed. morn(the 16'th) as I was getting my 10 yr. old daughter ready for school, I noticed an odd rash on her forearm. Its a red ring and the center looked like a dusky light bruise...about 2 inches long, and almost 2 inches wide. My first thought was 'now that's an odd looking bruise'. Then it hit me...the 'bullseye rash'!-As in Lyme Disease!!! Why it hit me so sudden is the fact that a week earlier, for no reason at all, my daughter spiked a fever! The school nurse had called and said Sarah's fever was 102.3! I had brought her home and her fever continued on and off for a few days. I figured it was a stomach virus type thing since I wasn't feeling too well at the time with an upset stomach for 2 days. Her fever finally ended and I didn't give it much more thought...till that morning, that is. And then...I recalled her saying the day before that her neck was stiff and so was her leg. I figured it was the way she slept(she had slept on the floor of our room on blankets because her room was too hot and besides, most of our stuff is packed/moved already as we are moving in 1 week).
Then, that morning, before I noticed the rash, she said her throat hurt her a little...again, being a mom of 4, I thought, 'she just doesn't want to go to school.'
Then, I find that rash and looked some things up. I even found a picture that looks MUCH like her rash!
3 of her teachers even saw the rash that day and looked closer at it...they all thought it looked like a bruise. And Sarah had said that it was the same area that her brother hit her on when they were clowning around a couple of days before that...so, I thought, lemme watch it a bit and see how it changes.
By Wed, it had tripled in size and wasn't fading as would a bruise...and knowing we are moving soon and how hectic everything is right now with 2 sons graduating(Josh graduates HS tonight! And then there's his big party on Sunday, PLUS we move next Tuesday!), I said to my hubby in the morn-who was home because our 14 yr old son graduated 8'th grade on Wed. afternoon!!-that I was going to call Sarah's doc and see if they could squeeze her in as early as they could. They said to bring her at 11:30.
Well, we took Sarah to her doctor and he took one look at the rash, and said what I already knew...'Its Lyme...no doubt about it.'
He said nothing else mimics the bullseye rash, which I also knew.
He wrote a script for a six week course of Doxy(Doxycyline) and sent us for blood work, which he said may not even come out pos...but regardless, he said 'she DOES have Lyme and thank God she got the bullseye to prove it!'

While I'm glad Sarah is getting treatment...I am angry too! A stinkin' little bug has done this! I KNOW the type of suffering she may be in for as they are quite similar to Lupus/Fibro pains, which I live with every day! I DON'T want MY child to know this pain!! Its not fair!!
And yes, the med will hopefully help her, but not before her symtoms get worse(as the med can sometimes cause at first!)
I am grateful that she even had the rash since only 30% of people ever even get it and then they wind up suffering with no answers, much like we do(hell, I was even tested for Lyme a couple of times before being DX'd with the Lupus!), for years going undiagnosed and getting no treatment. Which for Lyme is very bad because by then the meds won't work and kick the Lyme out of a system...they only get worse over time.
So, it is a good thing I caught it when I did...but still, I am so mad and worried for her!Here we are moving OUT of the NJ country area back down to the more 'citified' areas and after 10 yrs of living up here...NOW one of my children gets Lyme!!?? Right before we are leaving this more 'Lyme prone' area!?
AND...yesterday morn...there wasn't just 1 bullseye...but 6 total!! Then when she came home from school, it was 13!! By mid afternoon, 18!! And then, at last count last night, it was approx. 22 bullseye rashes!!! I had called her doc when it was still the 6 of them and he said, 'It does happen. But she's on the med now and it'll take care of it all.'
The poor thing has 4 on her face alone!! They are all different sizes and shapes! She's so upset and scared...and while I am too, I can't let her see or know that! :(
I am also so mad at all this! Its NOT fair!!! She doesn't deserve this!!
I pray that the med works for her...please, keep her in your thoughts and prayers!?

PLUS, I even pulled a tick out of my 14 yr old son's head about 3 weeks ago!!!! BUT, I know that without any of the symptoms, as he has none like Sarah did/does, that its too early to test him right now. They need to wait about 6 weeks before testing after a tick bite! Hopefully, he won't have it too!!
It all just stinks!! When it rains it pours and I feel like I'm going under!
Thanks for listening to my rant!
*hugs*
Cathy

nanajoanie
06-25-2004, 06:51 AM
Oh my goodness. You poor dear. Glad you instinctively knew what Sarah had and took her to the doctor. I would have been terrified. I freak at the sight of a tick. Hopefully your kids will be just fine with no after effects. You sound like a good Mommy :)

JKATHERINE
06-25-2004, 06:52 AM
Oh, Cathy. I'm so sorry to hear this sad news. Thank goodness she got the rash and you caught it early. You're family is in my thoughts. :(

Angel Lips
06-25-2004, 06:58 AM
I am sorry, my prayers go out to you and the family... Atleast you caught it early and got a prescribtion for it, your poor little girl, id be just as scared too.

ps congrats on the son graduating.

Willow
06-25-2004, 07:04 AM
My cousin who actually lives in Lyme, Conneticut has Lyme disease. She's had it for a long time. She's on medication for it. Because of the medication she takes she can't be out in the sun. I guess the sun will turn her skin blotchy. When she has to be outside she has to keep as much skin covered as possible. She even wears hats with wide brims. It's not a fun thing to have. I'm sorry your daughter has it. :(

queenangie
06-25-2004, 07:05 AM
I'm thankful that you caught it right away!
Hugs,
Angie

Tasha405
06-25-2004, 07:38 AM
I'm so sorry about your daughter. Hopefully the meds will work good and help her get better soon.

When we lived in TN, we lived out in the country and my son would get ticks on him EVERY day! I would flip out after I found and removed them because I was so scared he would get sick. He must have gotten into a nest of them once because he came in and had tiny tiny little black dots all over him and I thought it was dirt and was putting him the the bath tub and seen that it was ticks! I swear they had to be hundreds of them on him. I had never seen so many on someone like that. It scared me to death. I grabbed the rubbing alcohol and turpentine (sp?) and poured it all over him. (thats supposed to help them back their heads out) After a few minutes I gave him a shower and all of them came off but I swear I thought I was going to have a heart attack. I was crying and trying to tell him that it was ok because he was freaking out. Ugh, I hate those things.

freeby4me
06-25-2004, 07:54 AM
Im so sorry this has happened :( I wish the best for your daughter.

Army-Mom
06-25-2004, 08:16 AM
My prayers are with your family, I sure hope that the meds will take care of it and she will be fine.
prayers,
Marcia

sahmsfreeb
06-25-2004, 08:21 AM
i am so sorry to hear that!!!! I am sure that you caught it soon enough and that your daughter will be fine! sending positive vibes her way.....

we used to live in lake stockholm so i know about the trees and ticks etc...
when i used to work in wayne nj at a daycare i had a lil girl who got it twice (now whether you can get it twice i dont know all i know is that she was bit by a deer tick twice and was on the meds twice) her doctor explained to her mom and then the mom to us that deer ticks and lymes disease is more prevalent in suburban areas because of the high concentration of dogs cats squirrles and other lil critters running around in tight yards.

2 years ago out here on long island my son got bit by a tick in the early srping (april) we ended up in the emergency room because i couldnt get the head out. (it had burrowed in by the time i saw it on my sons back) 3 hours later at stonybrook hospital (great docs!) the doctor finally got the head out and told us that it was a deer tick. thankfully though my son did not get lymes disease. (doc would not give us propholactic antibiotics we had to wait it out)

i really hate the durned things.... gross critters...

FrEEbiZ4Me
06-25-2004, 09:02 AM
About ten years ago i had lyme disease. If you would like to talk or need any info id be more than happy.

Email me

Freebiz4me@aol.com

Tracy'sMom
06-25-2004, 09:14 AM
Sending prayers that Your daughter gets better and that Your son will be okay.

DivineMsDi
06-25-2004, 09:39 AM
Isn't it fun to live with ticks? I never thought about ticks in all the years I lived here or in PA but I guess you have to. We have gone to quite a few nature events so now I am freaked out about ticks. I think both the ticks and the mosquitos are going to be bad this year.

Sorry for your little girl. At least they identified it.

katzenberg
06-25-2004, 10:42 AM
:( i hope you little girl is ok and your son dosent have .

SouthOSane
06-25-2004, 11:45 AM
{{hugs}} hope she's feeling better soon..

I'm glad you posted this, bit over a week ago Gabby had a tiny tick on her, I pulled it out & told myself I'd keep an eye on the spot, with everything going on I forgot all about it :( I read this & ran right over to check it

jus2cusmile
06-25-2004, 12:32 PM
My thanks to you all for your kindness.
The 4 on Sarah's face have faded!! She still has 20 bullseyes total, so that means there were 4 new ones overnight!
I am sorry not to reply to each message individually, but I am rushing to get things done as our son graduates high school this evening! But, do know that I appreciate every word and prayer! :)
*hugs*
Cathy

bell_peaches
06-25-2004, 12:55 PM
I am sorry to hear about your daughter. My son lives way up there in NJ. I lived there till a year ago. I always worry about my son because he works outside all summer and winter. when he is not working he is hiking or riding his mountain bike. His girlfriend has been living with lyme for about 3 years now. Takes meds everyday. Pm me if you need a lyme doctor, because Doctors that just treat lyme are far and few between. Good luck and Prayers said for your little girl

kelly12569
06-25-2004, 01:35 PM
Wow, Sorry to hear that. Last summer we thought my 8 (then 7) yr old had it. He had what looked like the bulls eye and everything, fever, etc. We took him to the E.R. and they ran bloodwork on him but everything came back clear and a few days later he was fine. Thank goodness. I hope your daughter is feeling better today. :(

Denise1972
06-25-2004, 01:50 PM
Oh the pooh dear. I am glad you caught it in time.

hotdoglove
06-25-2004, 05:38 PM
I hope she is feeling better. I will keep your family in my thoughts

EtherealGirl
06-25-2004, 05:41 PM
I've had LD for over a year, but didn't get the bullseye rash, so didn't know it was Lyme. You caught your daughter's early, so there is a very good chance for a full recovery.

Please visit the message board at www.lymenet.org You'll find lots of info and support from people going through the same thing.

ajksmom
06-25-2004, 07:24 PM
I am so sorry for your daughter and for you. I hope that she starts feeling better very soon.

My daughter Kali had a tick burried in her ear a few weeks back. It was up in that little flap/covered up area (don't know what it is called), if she hadn't told me she had a sore in her ear, I would have never known it eventhough I check her all the time for them. I would have never thought to check there. A few days before I found the tick she was running an unexplained fever, I freaked out. She didn't have any problems though.

I will keep your little girl in my thoughts and prayers.

jus2cusmile
06-28-2004, 07:46 AM
ajksmom,
Please have your daughter seen by a doctor as soon as possible. My daughter's first 'sign'(though I didn't know it then) WAS an unexplained fever! Only about 30% or less EVER even get the bullseye rash! So, if your daughter was bit by an infected tick, you may not even know it and unless early treatment is given, problems will arise later on for her! I don't mean to scare you, but I have learned much this past week about Lyme Disease and I THANK GOD my daughter got that first bullseye and is now on treatment! You may have to push for your daughter to be treated right now since many docs won't give propholactic antibiotics without the bullseye rash or a positive Lyme test-which doesn't happen often, even in those WITH the bullseye rash! most Lyme tests come out negative all the time even if you DO have Lyme Disease! So, please...call her doc and explain everything as it happened...especially the unexplained fever! And please, do post and let me know! :)
*hugs*
Cathy

~~~~~~~
Again, I humbly thank you all!
Sorry for my delay in posting, but all these graduations, graduation parties and moving have kept my weekend FULL! Yesterday was my son's graduation party and lemme tell ya, what his fellow firefighters and EMT's DIDN'T do to my poor son yesterday! He was tossed in the fish pond, handcuffed, paintballed, fire-extinguised, 'pancaked'(what a mess!) then strapped to a backboard-carried upside down and then hosed and 'brushed clean' with a broom they clean the engines with!!! PLUS other horrid(but funny) things...You name it and those guys did it to Josh yesterday and it was the best time and much needed laughter and relaxation for me after all this! Even Sarah forgot her troubles yesterday and laughed so much at her big brother's 'torture' after a week of her fears and tears!
Sarah is about the same...every morning, she takes her morning dose of the med and each time, about 40 minutes later, she gets so sick! I told her its just the med and it will pass soon!(I hope!) Sun. morning she cried so much while being sick...she kept saying...'Why do I have to have Lyme Disease? Why does anyone have to have it? Why won't it just go away?'...all I could do was rub her back and try and comfort her. It broke my heart so much.
Her bullseyes are pretty much all fading though and for that she is happy, because she said she's already tired of people 'looking at them.'
Its too early to tell if the med is doing its job...which I pray it is. We do know that for awhile, the med will make her symptoms worse and that's to be expected...I just pray the side-effects won't last too long. She's afraid of even leaving the house now without bug spray on!!
That, and sunscreen, which she has to wear any time she goes out as the med causes 'photosensitivity' in people.
She's excited about our move tomorrow though-and happy that where we are moving isn't woodsy' like it it here and more prone to the ticks...and that saddens me, because she has always loved living up here in the country..its all she's known as we moved up here when she was 6 mths old. 10 years and none of my kids ever got LD...NOW as we prepare to move from the area...my sweet little girl had to get it. And I'm the one, who all those years ago, pushed for us to move here...and I can't help but blame myself now for all this.

With our move tomorrow, I won't be online for maybe about a week as we have to wait for our DSL install pkg at the new place...but that's good as it will give me time to get us all 'settled' again. So, I prolably won't be around much...unless the kit comes early.

It warms my heart to know how many wonderful people are praying for my little girl, Sarah! You will never know how much it is truely appreciated!!!!

Be well all and I hope to 'see' you all again soon.
THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU!!!!
From me and Sarah, both!!!
*BIG HUGE HUGS*
Cathy and Sarah

jus2cusmile
06-29-2004, 04:53 PM
A quick update while I can still get online...(we move tomorrow...I'm lying on the floor...all furniture and stuff are gone save for the comp and tv and an a/c!)
The med has been making her sick each with each morn. dose but now she eats something first and has been fine the past few days with it.
The bulleyes all faded away!! She is so happy about that...although I see one becoming visible upon her face again. :(
Sarah's doctor called earlier...the Lyme test came out positive...which is quite rare to even happen! Most people who DO have Lyme, test negative...so that confirms what we already knew...its definatly Lyme Disease. :(
This morn she complained of her face feeling numb and tingly...which isn't a good sign and one I know to watch out for. Facial paralysis is common in Lyme Disease. It will go away, but I am so afraid for her and how upset it will make her if she is getting that side-effect!
I didn't dare tell her anything about it...just told her it will be fine.
I STILL have yet to break down...inside I am crying, but on the outter, I can't let her see how upset and worried I am. :(
*hugs*
Cathy

Angel Lips
06-29-2004, 05:43 PM
I am sorry ((((((((((((((((((HUGS))))))))))))))))))), I can just imagine how she feels, i hope that she gets well real soon. Poor thing and poor you to. Its going to be ok... ok on the count of three we will cry together ok?

*cries and hands you a tissue* its going to be ok, dont you worry. (((((((((hugs)))))))) my thoughts and prayers are with you and your daughter. Have a safe move and the fun part of unpacking.

Sunee
07-01-2004, 01:42 AM
I just read your post. My son (we live in Texas) has Lyme disease. He has lived with it for 5 yrs now. He has his good days and his bad days. He had the bullseye and was tested positive for it. Rare situation especially in Texas. His Lyme disease is inactive right now. Thank God!!!!!! He suffered horribly for a long time. He developed migraines do to the Lyme disease. He is now on a preventitive and is doing pretty good. It is heartbreaking to watch your child suffer and not be able to ease the pain. I can't tell you how many times I sat and cried and held my son when he was in so much pain. It can cause migraines and joint pain along with other problems. I don't know if your Dr. told but just because youve been bit once by a lyme infested tick doesnt mean you are immuned to it if bitten by a lyme tick again. If bitten by another tick with lyme disease you can develop new infections on top of the one you already have. It takes 24 hours to be infected from the time the tick is in your skin. So always check your child daily. I check my 2 kids daily. If you live in a wooded or secluded area or you and your children hunt then I HIGHLY RECOMMEND Avon skin so soft bug repellent spray. My kids and hubby do NOT hunt without it now. It repels deer tick that carry lyme disease. I havent had anymore tick problems in the woods since we started using it!!!!!!!! I know you and your child are scared and upset. You should be. BUT dont let it take over your life. It can go into remission for long periods of time (sometime perm.). Like I said, my son has good days and bad days. But he's a tough little man and he goes with the flow :). If you ever need to talk you can pm me on bbs and I'll get back to you with my phone number. Give your child a big big hug for me and you hang in there :).

jus2cusmile
07-20-2004, 01:17 PM
Thank you all again. :)
Sarah is doing pretty good right now. The med seems to be doing its job. Thank God! And I pray that she has no further problems ever from LD!
*hugs*
Cathy

Sunee,
So sorry to hear all your son has gone through with LD! :( I shall keep him in prayer for a full recovery. :)
Just the thought of maybe Sarah having to deal with this for years to come scares me so much. Having Lupus, Fibro and related disorders myself, I know only too well how it is living with chronic pain and the thought of any of my children ever having to live like this has always been my biggest fear.
My best to you and yours hun! :)
*hugs*
Cathy