PDA

View Full Version : This was so weird!!

freeby4me
06-25-2004, 06:17 AM
Ok, This is a bit long so bear with me a bit :(
I quit smoking back in September of last year and I gained about 50 pounds. This weight is so depressing :( I feel really awful (I dont want to get into all that) But here's the really weird thing. The last couple of days, I've been smoking again in the evening and I decided that I was going to start smoking again to help me lose some weight (I know, Not the brightest plan) So yesterday, I start smoking through-out the day for the first time. I got so sick. I've never ever felt this horrible ever before. My head was horrible, I couldnt even keep water down :( Its like my body is now allergic to the ciggarettes. I know its a blessing in disguise cause the last ciggie I had was yesterday at 5:15 and I still feel pretty yucky.
I just wanted to know if anyone else has ever experienced anything like this before. I feel so stupid for trying it but at least now I know I can never pick up another ciggarette again.

Hopscotch
06-25-2004, 06:28 AM
Hi,

I hope you don't mind me giving you advice but I feel like we are all friends here so here goes. Please don't start smoking again. I also have gained mucho weight over the last ten years (I never was a smoker I just gained weight) and I also am depressed about it. I have lost one great freind to cancer due to smoking and another one just found out the day before yesterday that she has throat cancer from smoking. I can't fully understand how very hard it must be to stop smoking but you did it and I would hate to hear you might start again just to lose weight. Hopefully your body is allergic to ciggaretts but if you don't feel better soon maybe you should go see your doctor. I wish you all the best. I'm trying (Again) to lose weight. I just really love food.

Faithfully
06-25-2004, 06:42 AM
I quit smoking when I got pregnant 13 some years ago, with no problem, but picked it up about 3 years after my dd&ds were born. It made me extremely sick too. When I would inhale, I would get sick to my stomach, and get so dizzy I nearly would faint. I figured out, my body was reacting to being poisoned, after being poison free for 3 years. This happened about the first 3 days after I had started. Of course, stupid me finally got used to it, and I smoked for another 4 years. I finally quit forever 5 1/2 years ago, and I'm so thankful. This time I gained about 40 pounds, which hung around for about 1 1/2 years, then it melted off on it's own. Be proud of who you are, and realize no matter what, your beautiful as you are. Please reconsider your choice. You want to be able to live a long life Good luck. :)

freeby4me
06-25-2004, 06:59 AM
Thank you so much, Both of you! It really means alot to hear the encouragement and that it happened to someone else as well. I really didnt want to start smoking again and I think my body knew that.
Thank you for the advice, I always welcome it in one of my vents or whines.
I still dont feel good, Much better than yesterday. I couldnt keep anything down at all.

JKATHERINE
06-25-2004, 07:10 AM
I quit smoking in April 2003 before my DH and I started trying to get pregnant. I gained 30 lbs so I understand your frustration and depression. This was not the first time I'd quit, however, and YES, I have definately experienced the same reaction from my body as you did when you picked up cigarettes again. Please, please, please take it as a sign that you should NOT smoke again. I know it's hard to lose weight, but it's even harder to quit smoking! All of us here are more than willing to support you in your weight loss endeavors!!

(but we can't do that if you've died from cancer...:( )

ttistin
06-25-2004, 08:33 AM
Dh and I have never smoked, to us it is an expensive nasty habbit {please dont bash me, just our opnion, almost everyone in our familys smoke} It is very very good that you quit smoking and even though you feel really bad I am kinda glad about it. Now you wont pick up another one, kind of the blessing in diguise{sp} thing.

Anyway I know loosing weight isnt easy, I am in the process of trying to lose now. It is hard work, and a lot of mental disapline. For dh and I we dont stick to a "diet" we just try to eat healthy foods, eat less and move more. I have found a great workout program that I do right at home, tells you the best foods you should eat often {daily} and the foods you should only eat everyonce in a while again if you want. plus you get a great support system online thorugh message boards. I have been working out, eating healthier, drinking nothing but water and I have lost almost 20 lbs and down a pant size, that is the past month or so {I forgot to keep track lol} If you want more info just pm me.

It isnt easy but it is doable{sp} If you need support we are here for you. You dont need to poison your body to loose weight, you can do it the healthy way. {{hugs}}

DivineMsDi
06-25-2004, 09:43 AM
Many people do smoke to keep down/off weight. If that's what they do, well, that is their choice...seems stupid but some people, especially women, are terrified of being fat or gaining weight.

If you decide you want to lose weight or "get healthy" do as ttistin suggests. Obviously she has some clear headed and smart advice.

Trouble is, people don't want to make getting healthy a priority. They want a quick fix.

It's not going to happen. Change a little thing you do. Walk a few times a week. Cut out fat at one meal. Eat more fruit and veg. Something like that will help you lose some weight or better tone up and then you can begin to figure out what else you need to change or substitute.

Good luck!!!

freeby4me
06-25-2004, 09:49 AM
Thank you very much. Yes, I do feel it is a blessing in disguise! I am very interested in hearing more about this way of life you do ttistin, Please give me more info on this! Thank you so much all of you for your support!

Angel Lips
06-25-2004, 11:20 AM
I have never smoked, so i can't give you any advice, how ever my sister smoked for 10 years and finally stopped she gained almost 100lbs and she recently lost a lot of it by working out, but picking up that cig was a bad choice... i wish you the best of luck with everything and hope things work out for you and you feel better soon.

bell_peaches
06-25-2004, 01:13 PM
((((((((((HUGS)))))))))) do not start smoking again. Good luck.

eefan
06-26-2004, 03:30 PM
I can sympathize with the weight gain after quitting smoking, but please don't start back. I wouldn't want you to end up like me with emphysema, and COPD . The 30th of this month it will be 3 years since i stopped smoking, which is good but if i had quit sooner i wouldn't be where i am today, best of luck.

freeby4me
06-26-2004, 03:39 PM
Thank you so much everyone. This last couple of days has been hard but Im smoke free, I havent picked one up since a couple of days ago (5:15pm) and I do feel much better about myself now. I know it was a stupid thing to do and I am dissapointed in myself but I know with some hard work and determination I can lose the weight. Thank you all so much for the support and kind words, It helps more than you think! Thank you ttistin, You've been very kind to me and I wont forget it!

ttistin
06-26-2004, 04:20 PM
Thank you so much everyone. This last couple of days has been hard but Im smoke free, I havent picked one up since a couple of days ago (5:15pm) and I do feel much better about myself now. I know it was a stupid thing to do and I am dissapointed in myself but I know with some hard work and determination I can lose the weight. Thank you all so much for the support and kind words, It helps more than you think! Thank you ttistin, You've been very kind to me and I wont forget it!

In my opinion that is the way we get through a tough time, with the support of our family and or friends, even if they are only online :) :) Just remember it is going to take some hard work, but you CAN do it, you can do anything if you believe in yourself.

{{Hugs}}

VALENA-)45
06-26-2004, 04:30 PM
Ok, This is a bit long so bear with me a bit :(
I quit smoking back in September of last year and I gained about 50 pounds. This weight is so depressing :( I feel really awful (I dont want to get into all that) But here's the really weird thing. The last couple of days, I've been smoking again in the evening and I decided that I was going to start smoking again to help me lose some weight (I know, Not the brightest plan) So yesterday, I start smoking through-out the day for the first time. I got so sick. I've never ever felt this horrible ever before. My head was horrible, I couldnt even keep water down :( Its like my body is now allergic to the ciggarettes. I know its a blessing in disguise cause the last ciggie I had was yesterday at 5:15 and I still feel pretty yucky.
I just wanted to know if anyone else has ever experienced anything like this before. I feel so stupid for trying it but at least now I know I can never pick up another ciggarette again.Get away from the pack!!!!!!! You don't need to smoke anymore. You quit remember!!!!!!! leave it alone it is not for you!!! sorry i yelled at you. it was only for your own good. do you get migraine headaches, if you said no, then, now you know how it felt with that headache and the throwing up. need i say more.