PDA

View Full Version : trying to loss weight

2rose4u
06-21-2004, 05:48 PM
I have been trying to loss weight. I am trying to loss at least 20 or more pounds ;(. I was just wondering if any one has tried anything and had lost some weight. I have had knee surgery done on both knee and it is hard for me to walk so I really can't exercise to good. Has anyone took any kind of weight loss pills if so what kind ?( Thanks for any kind of info :)

bears984
06-21-2004, 07:30 PM
I am doing the atkins diet and have been for 4 months now and I have lost a total of 45 pounds so far Tina is right you have to change your way of eating and stay with it for any diet to work right.

JWWB2000
06-22-2004, 08:29 AM
If you have access to a pool, you could swim laps and that would be non jarring on your knees. Also, just make an adjustment on the way you eat and what you eat. It really will make a difference in trying to loose the weight you would like.

ttistin
06-22-2004, 09:08 AM
like others have said you need to change the way you eat. we have recently changed what we eat and are seeing results, for instance we eat a lot of chicken, we dont drink soda, I drink water and dh drinks gaterade. We cut out almost all sweets and sugars. An example is dh used to drink coffee with between 7-8 teaspoons of sugar in it {in one cup of coffee} now he puts hazlenut creamer in his coffee, no sugar. Now a days he can not stand coffee with sugar in it.

my one suggestion is to drink a lot of water, always carry a bottle of water with you.

2rose4u
06-22-2004, 09:26 AM
. You would figure I would lose weight because I really don't eat much. I hardly ever eat breakfast. (I know that is probably a no no) But I am not hungry in the mornings. I sometimes eat lunch and I would eat like a half of sandwich on the sandwich I would put lean turkey and a half of a slice of cheese with lettuce, tomato and cucumbers all on wheat bread. Then for dinner a small portion of meat, veggies and a cup of rice or potatoes or pasta. I really don't eat much.

VALENA-)45
06-22-2004, 10:35 AM
Sweetie and i are trying to diet together. instead of a lot of soda what i give him is iced tea. and i am trying not to give him bread, and beer. i take away everything away from him slowly. i post on the fridge, ( a huge note, a week before i do it) what is being cut out of his daily intake. next week i will be taking magrine out, and a few other things. i am trying for him to eat right, and not fight me at the same time. his doctors want him to take the weight off (like 60 lbs.). he likes kool aid, that will lead to drinking water. i am losing weight too. i now cook what we need to eat and try not to have any leftovers(cause i see open mouth, insert food). it is hard, and it is a fight, and i am making it work. but it takes time. good luck.

lameduch27
06-22-2004, 01:54 PM
. You would figure I would lose weight because I really don't eat much. I hardly ever eat breakfast. (I know that is probably a no no) But I am not hungry in the mornings. I sometimes eat lunch and I would eat like a half of sandwich on the sandwich I would put lean turkey and a half of a slice of cheese with lettuce, tomato and cucumbers all on wheat bread. Then for dinner a small portion of meat, veggies and a cup of rice or potatoes or pasta. I really don't eat much.

It is totally possible that you are not eating enough calories, and your body is storing anything it can to survive, and adding the 'bad carbs' (pasta, rice, potatoes) in at the end the day. Your eating really sounds like you could do the atkins diet,,,minus those 'bad carbs' ( I can't,,,I tried it to a T except for my black coffee, I refuse to give it up, so I figure that ruined me on it) We opened our pool and for the past week, I've been swimming really hard, different ways, hoping this is gonna help me,,,good luck with yours!

Katt
06-22-2004, 02:18 PM
I drink coffee on Atkins ;) With heavy cream, or vanilla whipped cream, and hazelnut sf davinci's syrup. Good stuff.

If you do not wish to follow a structured plan, you could always just cut out sugar, drink sugar free drinks or switch to splenda or even sweetnlow. Instead of eating bleached flours, switch to whole wheat. Whole wheat bread, rice, flour..etc. Just cutting out bad carbs, will help you start to lose.

Also, if you DON'T eat, your body will think it's starving and no matter how little you eat, you won't lose because your metabolism will shut down. You have to eat, to lose weight. Just eat the right stuff :)

2rose4u
06-22-2004, 08:36 PM
O.K any suggestions on how I should start :confused:

Katt
06-22-2004, 08:39 PM
Yep, just start. Don't put it off "till you can go shopping" or anything like that. Just, from this minute on, cut out any and all junk food. Nothing like jumping right in. The less time you have to think about it, the less change of not going it ;)

If you want to try atkins, look over the very long atkins thread. It has a lot of info in it. :)

DivineMsDi
06-23-2004, 04:08 AM
You are not eating enough and your body thinks you are starving it. You will never lose weight until you EAT.

Good food is not the enemy. Try to eat foods in their natural form. Apples instead of apple pie, for example. You probably could eat 3 apples and it would not equal in calories and fat a slice of pie.

Drink water. Stop drinking pop/soda. Even diet sodas interfere with your body's ability to regulate itself.

Everyone is different so what works for one may not work for all. I would say if u are serious, get yourself some nutrition and health books from the library and read up.

Even extremely obese people and handicapped people can exercise. Sit in a chair with some weights (3-5 lbs) and just do them for a few minutes. Increase this every day. Can you walk? If so, just start out that way.

Many of us on this board are fighting the battle of the bulge! Hang in there. :D