PDA

View Full Version : Have your children ever?

bribella
06-17-2004, 04:42 AM
When my DS was 2 he fell out a 3rd story window and soon after he developed a stutter. We took him to the pediatrican and were told that sometimes children around 2-4yrs will start to stutter because they think faster than they can talk, and sometimes traumatic experiences can do that to them as well. She saidto wait and see what happens with it.

So at age 3 he was still doing it and we took him to a speech pathologist for awhile but it didn't seem to help. When he entered preschool I told his teachers about the stuttering and they set him up with another speech pathologist who called me at home after his first couple appts. with her and she told me that he didn't need speech therapy that it was something that he would grow out of, that stuttering can be common in small children for a couple years. Well he no longer stutters and has great speech.

But I just noticed the other day that my DD who is 2 has started to stutter as well! Have any of you experienced this with your kids?

lisarae
06-17-2004, 04:47 AM
My son don't stutter, but he has a hard time, sometimes, getting out what he wants to say. It really is like his mind is going faster than he can say it.
This is how it sounds sometimes: The ball went.....The ball went....The ball went under the car and.... the Ball went under the car and beside the tree.

MOst of the time its a harder sentence, but thats all I could think of at the moment.

missymommy
06-17-2004, 07:40 AM
My son seems to do the same as lisarae's I think. He will say the same word over and over. It is almost like he is trying to go back and finish what he was thinking.

Shancopp
06-17-2004, 09:17 AM
No answers about the stuttering, I'm sorry, but wanted to say I'm glad your son is ok after a fall like that!! Wow, I bet you were scared to death! I couldn't imagine, but again, am glad he is ok!!

bribella
06-17-2004, 09:53 AM
No answers about the stuttering, I'm sorry, but wanted to say I'm glad your son is ok after a fall like that!! Wow, I bet you were scared to death! I couldn't imagine, but again, am glad he is ok!!

Thanks! We are glad he was ok too. I almost had a heart attack when it happened. He was sleeping on my bed ( which dumb of us was next to a window) I go out into the living room to fold laundry and I thought I heard him playing with the blinds so I go in there and the blinds were pulled up and he had unlocked and opened the window and he was gone.

So i rushed over afraid to look , but of course I had to. And I saw him laying on the ground. I rushed down 3 flights of stairs(pregnant) and when I got to him he was trying to stand up! He seemed ok nothing broken not even any blood. So my first instinct was to pick him up and take him upstairs to call 911. I now know I should have had him lay still.

I called 911 and they came out and we went to the ER and the trauma team comes in and I am almost hysterical crying and everything. They had a pastor come and take me to another room. Miracuously he was fine, they kept him overnight just to be on the safe side.

Thankfully it had rained pretty good the night before and he landed on grass where the earth was pretty soft. But I also like to think that "someone" was watching over him. Needless to say we went out and bought window locks that he couldnt open without a key and we moved all furniture away from any window.

Blackberry
06-17-2004, 12:25 PM
My son stuttered from the time he learned to talk until he was about 7 years old. There was no tramatic event (although he did break his leg at age 2, but I really don't think that had anything to do with it). He stuttered quite bad and saw a speach therapaist at school.

He no longer stutters but he still talks at lightening speed and we often have to have him repeat what he says because we can't understand it.

Visit this website for tons of great information about stuttering. http://www.stutteringhelp.org/ I got tons of very helpful information for free and next to free on there. Good luck.

babymaniac
06-17-2004, 01:20 PM
I do not have a child that stutters. But I wanted to post and tell you that a few months back there was an episode of Montel where they were saying that people may never have to stutter again. They showed this device that goes on the ear and lets the person hear themselves speak and somehow it stops them from stuttering. They tried it on a lady on the show and it worked.I have no idea what it was called etc... but maybe someone here saw the same show and will post.