PDA

View Full Version : You have to see this!

dianenjeff
06-16-2004, 04:53 PM
OMG, I got this email today from a friend of mine to sign an online petition to stop this website. I have never even heard of these site until today. It is a site where the are selling kittens that they put in bottles and make them certain shapes. It is horrible. If you want to see the site it is http://www.bonsaikitten.com/
I can't believe people actually do this and buy them!

BigLyd1
06-16-2004, 04:55 PM
I can't even look. :eek: What's wrong with some people these days? :rolleyes:

cleaningla
06-16-2004, 04:58 PM
Here's what it says at snopes.com.

http://www.snopes.com/inboxer/outrage/bonsai.htm

Origins: Bonsai kittens are not real. Nobody is making bonsai kittens. Nobody is selling equipment to help people make bonsai kittens. The Bonsai Kitten web site is a joke, not an actual promotion for the making of bonsai kittens. Investigations by law enforcement agencies, including the FBI, have already determined no real cats were harmed in the creation of the pictures used on the Bonsai Kitten web site. Signing a petition to shut down the Bonsai Kitten web site will not prevent any kittens from being harmed, because no kittens were harmed in the first place.

It was all a joke, one which some say was in terribly poor taste. If that was your reaction, take comfort in the knowledge that many others thought the same.

How could you have known the Bonsai Kitten site was a satire despite its lack of "This is a joke!" banners emblazoned across it? Satire doesn't always announce itself as such (some feel that would ruin its humor), so in cases like this, one dusts off the common sense and aims it at the problem:

The process described is impossible -- animals so treated would die long before they could be "molded."

The web site offers no way to purchase the materials advertised -- a real commercial enterprise wouldn't build consumer interest through a flashy web site then fail to offer anything for sale.

"Bonsai Kitten" displays no actual pictures of the finished product -- there are no molded kittens on display.

aneisu
06-16-2004, 04:58 PM
This is a hoax - its been around for quite awhile.

ckerr4
06-16-2004, 04:59 PM
Sorry, cleaningla, I was too slow, and ended up copying you :p

http://www.snopes.com/inboxer/outrage/bonsai.htm

Claim: A web site is selling merchandise to help people create 'bonsai kittens.'

Origins: Bonsai kittens are not real. Nobody is making bonsai kittens. Nobody is selling equipment to help people make bonsai kittens. The Bonsai Kitten web site is a joke, not an actual promotion for the making of bonsai kittens. Investigations by law enforcement agencies, including the FBI, have already determined no real cats were harmed in the creation of the pictures used on the Bonsai Kitten web site. Signing a petition to shut down the Bonsai Kitten web site will not prevent any kittens from being harmed, because no kittens were harmed in the first place.

It was all a joke, one which some say was in terribly poor taste. If that was your reaction, take comfort in the knowledge that many others thought the same.

(some material deleted in the interest of space and repetition)

Shann
OMG I have never heard of this either! This is so inhumane... where is the online petition located. I can't believe this is real... is it? Wow.. I think I am going to be sick, I could never imagine even putting a cat in something like that as a joke to take picutres.. :(

cpbaby
OOPSY!

I promise the other replies werent there when I started posting! :)

Sometimes www.snopes.com is a posters best friend. I was "taken" by alot of this type thing before I found out about snopes.

dianenjeff
06-16-2004, 05:02 PM
I'm glad it isn't real! I never heard of it before! Thanks, everyone for telling me it was a hoax! I feel better knowing that!

DaLilPeachy
06-16-2004, 05:10 PM
It's not exactly a hoax - it was a joke on the web (and kind of funny too)
don't worry :) No kitties in bottles

VALENA-)45
06-16-2004, 05:10 PM
My main question is: What are they stupid!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Just what is their major malfunktion???????????????? This is a horrible way to treat an animal!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Where is that pettion i will sign it. Somebody needs to drug these people and put them in to a bottle or jar and sell them. omg, this makes no sence.

Willow
06-16-2004, 06:08 PM
My main question is: What are they stupid!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Just what is their major malfunktion???????????????? This is a horrible way to treat an animal!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Where is that pettion i will sign it. Somebody needs to drug these people and put them in to a bottle or jar and sell them. omg, this makes no sence.

It's not true. Just read the other replies. :)